Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger on eBay (michael king)

From: Tod Brown via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 10:47:24 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7074036044551741137==
 boundary="------------000107000001050808080208"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------000107000001050808080208
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

And, of course, it has a 289.

Interestingly(at least to me), this car's serial number is only 10 after 
mine (2394 vs. 2384).

Cheers,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE
TAC 864
original rivets
original engine

--------------000107000001050808080208
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <font face="Arial">And, of course, it has a 289. <br>
      <br>
      <font face="Arial">Interestingly<font face="Arial"> (at least to
          me), this car's serial number is only 10 after mine (2394 vs.
          2384).<br>
          <br>
          <font face="Arial">Cheers,<br>
            <br>
            <font face="Arial">Tod<br>
              <font face="Arial">B382002384LRXFE<br>
                <font face="Arial">TAC 864<br>
                  <font face="Arial">original rivets<br>
                    <font face="Arial">original engine</font><br>
                  </font></font></font></font></font></font></font></font>
  </body>
</html>

--------------000107000001050808080208--

--===============7074036044551741137==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============7074036044551741137==--

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 13:47:18 -0400

--===============4807868263724453562==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0007_01D09628.29CDDD40"

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D09628.29CDDD40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Tod 
 
    Just because they say it is a 289 doesn't make it so.
 
I did not look so I can't say for sure on this Tiger but the only way to
know to be sure is by the block casting number.
 
IMO it is a shame to change out an original 260 engine unless it broke
badly.
 
Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tod Brown
via Tigers
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2015 10:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger on eBay (michael king)

Interestingly (at least to me), this car's serial number is only 10 after
mine (2394 vs. 2384).

Cheers,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE
TAC 864
original rivets
original engine

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D09628.29CDDD40
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588"></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff text=3D#000000>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D734594217-24052015>Tod=20
</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D734594217-24052015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D734594217-24052015>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Just because they say it =
is a 289=20
doesn't make it so.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D734594217-24052015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D734594217-24052015>I did=20
not look so I can't say for sure on this Tiger&nbsp;but the only way to=20
know&nbsp;to be&nbsp;sure is by the block casting =
number.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D734594217-24052015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D734594217-24052015>IMO it=20
is a shame to change out an original 260 engine unless it broke=20
badly.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN=20
class=3D734594217-24052015></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#0000ff size=3D2 face=3DArial><SPAN =
class=3D734594217-24052015>Ron=20
Fraser</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr lang=3Den-us class=3DOutlookMessageHeader =
align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D2=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Tigers=20
  [mailto:[email-masked]] <B>On Behalf Of </B>Tod Brown =
via=20
  Tigers<BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, May 24, 2015 10:47 AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
  [email-masked]<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Tigers] Tiger on eBay =
(michael=20
  king)<BR><BR></FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial>And, of course, it has a =
289.=20
  <BR><BR><FONT face=3DArial>Interestingly<FONT face=3DArial> (at least =
to me), this=20
  car's serial number is only 10 after mine (2394 vs. =
2384).<BR><BR><FONT=20
  face=3DArial>Cheers,<BR><BR><FONT face=3DArial>Tod<BR><FONT=20
  face=3DArial>B382002384LRXFE<BR><FONT face=3DArial>TAC 864<BR><FONT=20
  face=3DArial>original rivets<BR><FONT face=3DArial>original=20
engine</FONT><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT></FONT><=
/FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01D09628.29CDDD40--

--===============4807868263724453562==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============4807868263724453562==--

---

From: Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 09:52:53 -0400

--===============3720937783636375049==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000D_01D096D0.9743A0A0"

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D096D0.9743A0A0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Theo
=20
    The using up existing drivelines could explain the S27KA engine in =
one
of the last 10 Mk 1A's as listed in TBON.
=20
Ron Fraser
   =20
   =20

-----Original Message-----
From: Smit, Theo [mailto:[email-masked]]=20
Sent: Sunday, May 24, 2015 9:18 PM
To: [email-masked]; 'Tod Brown'; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger on eBay (michael king)

Hi Ron,
Certainly that is the case now - if one had the original block for a =
given
Tiger, it would be worth it to sleeve the block if necessary in order to
preserve the originality for a stock restoration, rather than putting in =
a
289 for "appearance-correct" restoration.=20

In the past, though, I'm sure lots of the 260's were removed and =
discarded
even if they were running fine, just to get the extra cubes available in =
a
289 or 302.

For what it's worth regarding serial numbers, build sequence, etc: My =
Tiger
is the second-last Mk1A by VIN, and I still have the original HEH-E =
gearbox
for it with the correct (per TBON) ID number. A previous owner =
substituted a
5 bolt 289 for the 260 at some point and the original engine was gone =
long
before I got the car. It was built after they had started the Mk2 =
production
line, presumably to use up Mk1A parts. and drivelines. Any story about =
late
Mk1A Tigers with factory 289's ignores the fact that the Mk2 Tigers had =
6
bolt 289's and wide ratio HEH-CF (or HEH-B?) gearboxes, and the Rootes
production line would (should?) never have been supplied with 5-bolt 289
engines paired with close ratio HEH-E gearboxes unless Ford made a major
mistake.

Cheers,
Theo

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D096D0.9743A0A0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.23588"></HEAD>
<BODY=20
style=3D"FONT-FAMILY: Calibri, sans-serif; WORD-WRAP: break-word; COLOR: =
rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 14px; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space">
<DIV><SPAN class=3D093054813-25052015><FONT =
size=3D3>Theo</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D093054813-25052015><FONT =
size=3D3></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D093054813-25052015>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <FONT =
size=3D3>The using up=20
existing drivelines could explain the S27KA engine in one of the last 10 =
Mk 1A's=20
as listed in TBON.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D093054813-25052015><FONT =
size=3D3></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D093054813-25052015><FONT size=3D3>Ron =
Fraser</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D093054813-25052015>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D093054813-25052015>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV></DIV>
  <DIV dir=3Dltr lang=3Den-us class=3DOutlookMessageHeader =
align=3Dleft><FONT size=3D2=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> Smit, Theo=20
  [mailto:[email-masked]] <BR><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, May 24, 2015 =
9:18=20
  PM<BR><B>To:</B> [email-masked]; 'Tod Brown';=20
  [email-masked]<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Tigers] Tiger on eBay =
(michael=20
  king)<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>Hi Ron,</DIV>
  <DIV>Certainly that is the case now &#8211; if one had the original =
block for a=20
  given Tiger, it would be worth it to sleeve the block if necessary in =
order to=20
  preserve the originality for a stock restoration, rather than putting =
in a 289=20
  for &#8220;appearance-correct&#8221; restoration.&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>In the past, though, I&#8217;m sure lots of the 260&#8217;s were =
removed and=20
  discarded even if they were running fine, just to get the extra cubes=20
  available in a 289 or 302.</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>For what it&#8217;s worth regarding serial numbers, build =
sequence, etc: My=20
  Tiger is the second-last Mk1A by VIN, and I still have the original =
HEH-E=20
  gearbox for it with the correct (per TBON) ID number. A previous owner =

  substituted a 5 bolt 289 for the 260 at some point and the original =
engine was=20
  gone long before I got the car. It was built after they had started =
the Mk2=20
  production line, presumably to use up Mk1A parts&#8230; and =
drivelines. Any story=20
  about late Mk1A Tigers with factory 289&#8217;s ignores the fact that =
the Mk2 Tigers=20
  had 6 bolt 289&#8217;s and wide ratio HEH-CF (or HEH-B?) gearboxes, =
and the Rootes=20
  production line would (should?) never have been supplied with 5-bolt =
289=20
  engines paired with close ratio HEH-E gearboxes unless Ford made a =
major=20
  mistake.</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>Cheers,</DIV>
  <DIV>Theo</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01D096D0.9743A0A0--

--===============3720937783636375049==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

[email-masked]

--===============3720937783636375049==--