Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Tool Kit Parts

From: Bill Rogers via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 12:02:54 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

--===============3328363843456091619==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0285_01D09487.3BF80470"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D09487.3BF80470
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

As the price of Tigers has been going up, so too has the price of Tiger =
specific parts. This has made reproduction of some parts like the air =
filter housing cost effective. As more cars are restored to perfect =
condition, the demand for accessories, such as a complete tool kit, is =
greater. The tool kit was often separated from the cars the first time =
it changed hands, so many people lack one. Luckily most of the tools are =
common with the Alpine and other contemporary British cars and can be =
obtained for about $100-200 from Ebay sellers. The exception is the =
Tiger-unique spark plug socket (spanner-sparking plug in Rootes speak) =
and accompanying tommy bar. These are scarce as hens teeth and a =
complete tool kit recently sold for $1500.

The advent of 3D printing allows these items to be replicated at a =
relatively low cost. I have been able to produce replicas of original =
parts which are dimensionally accurate and closely resemble the original =
tools. I had these made from a strong black Nylon plastic, thinking that =
they could take the place of the actual tools until such time as a =
person found the real thing. They are accurate enough that only a picky =
Tigers United stock class concours judge would notice the difference. =
Apart from the material, the differences are 1: the part number is =
engraved rather than stamped 2: we have not reproduced the spring loaded =
ball detent in the Tommy Bar, so it is fixed. The parts are printed with =
a matt surface, but they can be painted to achieve a more glossy finish. =
The items we modeled (Rootes # 1224750 and 1224751) were used on all =
marks of Tigers according to the parts list. I am not sure of the =
mechanical properties of the materials, so these items should not be =
used as tools on your engine but are for display only.

The price for a set with free shipping via Priority Mail to the US would =
be $60. Shipping to the UK, Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand =
would be an additional $20. The parts can also be made in matt black =
steel for a cost of $260 and will be special order only.

We have refined the design with several prototypes and prior to ordering =
production quantities, I would like to get an idea of the level of =
interest from the Tiger community. I had a show and tell with an early =
prototype tommy bar at the most recent CAT meeting and the idea was well =
received. Please PM me or contact me through my website =
www.motorsportmemories.com and indicate if you would be interested in =
plastic or steel.=20

When parts are available for sale I will post in the appropriate places.

Bill Rogers

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D09487.3BF80470
	charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dwindows-1252" =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 8.00.6001.19088">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<P>As the price of Tigers has been going up, so too has the price of =
Tiger=20
specific parts. This has made reproduction of some parts like the air =
filter=20
housing cost effective. As more cars are restored to perfect condition, =
the=20
demand for accessories, such as a complete tool kit, is greater. The =
tool kit=20
was often separated from the cars the first time it changed hands, so =
many=20
people lack one. Luckily most of the tools are common with the Alpine =
and other=20
contemporary British cars and can be obtained for about $100-200 from =
Ebay=20
sellers. The exception is the Tiger-unique spark plug socket =
(spanner-sparking=20
plug in Rootes speak) and accompanying tommy bar. These are scarce as =
hens teeth=20
and a complete tool kit recently sold for $1500.</P>
<P>The advent of 3D printing allows these items to be replicated at a =
relatively=20
low cost. I have been able to produce replicas of original parts which =
are=20
dimensionally accurate and closely resemble the original tools. I had =
these made=20
from a strong black Nylon plastic, thinking that they could take the =
place of=20
the actual tools until such time as a person found the real thing. They =
are=20
accurate enough that only a picky Tigers United stock class concours =
judge would=20
notice the difference. Apart from the material, the differences are 1: =
the part=20
number is engraved rather than stamped 2: we have not reproduced the =
spring=20
loaded ball detent in the Tommy Bar, so it is fixed. The parts are =
printed with=20
a matt surface, but they can be painted to achieve a more glossy finish. =
The=20
items we modeled (Rootes # 1224750 and 1224751) were used on all marks =
of Tigers=20
according to the parts list. I am not sure of the mechanical properties =
of the=20
materials, so these items should not be used as tools on your engine but =
are for=20
display only.</P>
<P>The price for a set with free shipping via Priority Mail to the US =
would be=20
$60. Shipping to the UK, Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand would =
be an=20
additional $20. The parts can also be made in matt black steel for a =
cost of=20
$260 and will be special order only.</P>
<P>We have refined the design with several prototypes and prior to =
ordering=20
production quantities, I would like to get an idea of the level of =
interest from=20
the Tiger community. I had a show and tell with an early prototype tommy =
bar at=20
the most recent CAT meeting and the idea was well received. Please PM me =
or=20
contact me through my website <A=20
href=3D"http://www.motorsportmemories.com/"><U><FONT=20
color=3D#0000ff>www.motorsportmemories.com</U></FONT></A> and indicate =
if you=20
would be interested in plastic or steel. </P>
<P>When parts are available for sale I will post in the appropriate =
places.</P>
<P>Bill Rogers</P></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0285_01D09487.3BF80470--

--===============3328363843456091619==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

--===============3328363843456091619==--