Subject: Re: [Tigers] Windshield washer hose

From: Stu via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:52:17 -0500

When I did my electric pump install, I replaced all of the hoses up to the
bTb under the dash. For those of you who haven't tried threading a new
washer hose through the fire wall holes, it's not as simple as it first
appears. The hose goes through the inaccessible (without a torch) boxed in
section of the fire wall next to the heater core, and the hole into the
engine compartment does not align with the hole into the under dash area.

Fortunately, the old hose was still in place when I started.   A piece of
steel wire just under a yard long was used to connect the old and
new hoses. I pushed the wire as far into the old hose as I could, which was
nearly to the inner hole, then pushed the new hose over the remaining wire
until it met the old. With my son pushing on the outside, and me pulling
under the dash, the new hose followed the old right to the inner hole. The
new hose I used has a larger outer diameter than the original, almost
matching the diameter of the fire wall holes, so it took a minute or two of
wiggling to get it through. The new hose has a larger diameter than the
old, making a pretty good seal at the fire wall as is, so no grommet is
necessary.  IIRC, I removed the remnants of the old grommet since the new
hose would not fit through it.

Stu

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Ron Fraser via Tigers <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Andy
>         You will need to use a piece of wire to find the path through the
> firewall.  It may need to be a wire on the inside of the tubing if that
> helps you.  I believe the hole on the dash side is up high and slightly
> forward of the hole on the firewall side.  If you have the dash wire
> harness
> in, it might be covering the hole for the tubing.
>
> I don't know if I have ever seen the original grommet for this tubing.  I
> believe it is similar to the grommet for the heater valve cable; about 1/2"
> long and looks like a plug with a hole in the center for the tubing.  I
> don't have a grommet for that tubing on my Tiger.
>
> Ron Fraser
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> awtiger---
> via Tigers
> Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:04 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Tigers] Windshield washer hose
>
>
> Guys:
>
> Isn't there supposed to be a grommet on the firewall where the windshield
> washer hose passes through?  I've tried inserting a grommet with the hose
> still in place but that has proven to be next to impossible.  The grommet
> that comes with the SS rubber kit that looks like it would be the one for
> that application is too small to comfortably fit over the hose.  The only
> way I can see that you'd ever get that to work would be to shove it over
> the
> hose and then try to put the grommet in the firewall.  As I said, however,
> I'm not having any luck with that either.  In addition, I cannot see where
> the hose comes through the firewall under the dash.  Is there a trick to
> doing this that I'm just not seeing or does the whole dash and all that
> other stuff under there have to come out first???
>
> Thanks,
> Andy Walker
> Edmond, OK
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
>
>
> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2015.0.5645 / Virus Database: 4260/8927 - Release Date: 01/13/15
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Andy Walker via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 17:22:14 -0600

Stu/Ron, et al:

Thank you both for your suggestions.  It sure sounds like a lot of work to go
to just to replace a windshield washer hose grommetb&but I suppose Ibll
probably do it.  Therebs no sense in stopping now, right?

Therebs one point that I wanted to clear up, thoughb&I am assuming that the
instrument facia panel should be out when attempting this, correct?

Thanks,

Andy

From: Stu [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:52 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Andy Walker; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Windshield washer hose

When I did my electric pump install, I replaced all of the hoses up to the
bTb under the dash. For those of you who haven't tried threading a new
washer hose through the fire wall holes, it's not as simple as it first
appears. The hose goes through the inaccessible (without a torch) boxed in
section of the fire wall next to the heater core, and the hole into the engine
compartment does not align with the hole into the under dash area.

Fortunately, the old hose was still in place when I started.   A piece of
steel wire just under a yard long was used to connect the old and new hoses. I
pushed the wire as far into the old hose as I could, which was nearly to the
inner hole, then pushed the new hose over the remaining wire until it met the
old. With my son pushing on the outside, and me pulling under the dash, the
new hose followed the old right to the inner hole. The new hose I used has a
larger outer diameter than the original, almost matching the diameter of the
fire wall holes, so it took a minute or two of wiggling to get it through. The
new hose has a larger diameter than the old, making a pretty good seal at the
fire wall as is, so no grommet is necessary.  IIRC, I removed the remnants of
the old grommet since the new hose would not fit through it.

Stu

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 9:31 AM, Ron Fraser via Tigers <[email-masked]

Andy
forward of the hole on the firewall side.  If you have the dash wire harness

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]
via Tigers
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 9:04 AM
Subject: [Tigers] Windshield washer hose

Guys:

way I can see that you'd ever get that to work would be to shove it over the

Thanks,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
Version: 2015.0.5645 / Virus Database: 4260/8927 - Release Date: 01/13/15
_______________________________________________

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Stu via Tigers <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 18:36:35 -0500

No, I did mine with the panel and everything else in place.  Of course, I'm
on the small side, not NFL of NBA material at all.

Stu

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Andy Walker <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Stu/Ron, et al:
>
>
>
> Thank you both for your suggestions.  It sure sounds like a lot of work to
> go to just to replace a windshield washer hose grommetb&but I suppose
Ibll
> *From:* Stu [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Wednesday, January 14, 2015 8:52 AM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Cc:* Andy Walker; [email-masked]
> *Subject:* Re: [Tigers] Windshield washer hose
>
>
>

[email-masked]