Subject: [Tigers] Distributor Performance

From: "Robert D. Hogan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:37:01 -0400

Is there any performance advantage of a Ford dual point distributor over a
Pertronix electronically  triggered distributor.  There certainly can't be
a maintenance advantage to a dual point, so is a dual point's firing worth
it?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:52:38 -0400

Bob
	Pertronix lists a unit for dual point distributors and it probably
provides a very stable dwell time.  This part will take some of the
maintenance out of the distributor.  

The question becomes what dwell time does the Pertronix unit provide?  

Single point systems have 26 - 29 degrees dwell
Dual point systems have 30 - 33 degrees dwell

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob Josten
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 12:10 PM
To: wseay
Cc: Tiger's Den
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor Performance

What about installing the Pertronix setup in a dual point distributor? Bob
J.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Aug 2014 09:28:23 +0200

You might consider a 123ignition system, which gives you the advantage of not having to adjust points and being able to implement 2 advance curves (centrifugal and vacuum 2 each) and 2 rev limiters via laptop/notebook and USB-cable. A co-driver can even adjust the curve while driving with a notebook on his knees and you can switch between the 2 (inside the dizzy) stored curves with a simple switch while driving.

Have a look here: http://www.brits-n-pieces.com/products/123tune-distributor.aspx

We are specialized on adapting 123ignition and 123tune distributors to nearly all engines.

Best regards
Eric

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
from	Robert D. Hogan [[email-masked]]	
to	[email-masked]	
cc		
date	2014/25/08 04:38:12pm	
ref	[Tigers] Distributor Performance	
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Is there any performance advantage of a Ford dual point distributor over a
Pertronix electronically  triggered distributor.  There certainly can't be
a maintenance advantage to a dual point, so is a dual point's firing worth
it?

.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:39:51 +0000

Cool product, but when will you have one that works with a Ford
distributor?

If anyone is interested I have a MSD E-curve distributor sitting in my
garage, new in the box - likely I wonbt ever use it. Has a vacuum sensor
and internal dial-a-curve controls. $200 plus shipping from Calgary.

Theo

On 2014-08-26, 1:28 AM, "lists" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>You might consider a 123ignition system, which gives you the advantage of
>not having to adjust points and being able to implement 2 advance curves
>(centrifugal and vacuum 2 each) and 2 rev limiters via laptop/notebook
>and USB-cable. A co-driver can even adjust the curve while driving with a
>notebook on his knees and you can switch between the 2 (inside the dizzy)
>stored curves with a simple switch while driving.
>
>Have a look here:
>http://www.brits-n-pieces.com/products/123tune-distributor.aspx
>
>b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?
>b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?
>b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?
>b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?b?
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:11:26 -0400

Bob
	I agree the Pertronix has been very reliable.  I think I installed
mine about 1980.

Mechanical advance is for performance
Vacuum advance gives you economy on the highway

Ford has what I call 2 styles of distributor; early style has an oil port,
later style has a tri lobe center section.

The early style has wear points at the advance weights which can hang up the
advance curve.
The later style eliminated those wear points and has a smoother advance
curve.

My thoughts are that everyone should check their advance curve so they know
the distributor is advancing correctly.

I like more MPG so I'm sticking with the stock distributor with vacuum
advance.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob Josten
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 2:13 PM
To: Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)
Cc: Tiger's Den
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor Performance

Hi Mark and Ron, I use Pertronix in a couple of my stock cars and also have
the MSD box and distributor in my street tiger. I like both setups, both
have been really reliable and it's really nice not having to think about gap
and dwell. For my stock mk2 I was wondering about the merits of using
Pertronix in my dual point distributor with only mechanical advance vs.
using it in a stock distributor with vacuum/mechanical advance. I have a
vintage dual point in there now and am using points. I just caravaned to and
from the Historics from LA with another mk2 owner. He has the dual point
with Pertronix ll I think. We both have stock 289's and I got about 21 mpg
on the trip using points and my car drove great. I think I'll switch over to
Pertronix with my dual point and see what the difference is. thanks Bob J.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "lists" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Aug 2014 09:19:33 +0200

Hi Theo,

we already have one working with Ford distributors. If interested call us. Phone number is on our website www.brits-n-pieces.com

Regards
Eric

bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
from	Smit, Theo [[email-masked]]	
to	lists[[email-masked]]	
cc	[email-masked]	
date	2014/26/08 04:42:26pm	
ref	Re: [Tigers] Distributor Performance	
bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Cool product, but when will you have one that works with a Ford
distributor?

Theo

[email-masked]