Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor Performance

From: "wseay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:11:56 -0400

The objective of the dual-point distributor is to increase dwell to get a 
larger spark.  With the Pertronix you get the increased dwell with none of 
the disadvantages of the mechanical point set in the dual-point setup. 
There is one potential advantage to the dual-point distributor that you 
might want to consider though.  The dual-point distributor is set up to 
optimize performance.  As such, it has no vacuum advance and, presumably, 
has a mechanical advance curve which is intended for maximum performance 
rather than the best compromise between economy (i.e. with vacuum advance) 
and performance.  If you install a Pertronix unit you will retain the stock 
vacuum and mechanical advance which should provide the best 
economy/performance compromise.  If you want the combined advantage of low 
maintenance from the Pertronix and optimal performance from the dual-point 
you can install a Pertronix unit, disconnect the vacuum advance and diddle 
with the mechanical advance.

Will Seay - [email-masked]
______________________________
"I think not therefore I am not" (anon)
-----Original Message----- 
From: Robert D. Hogan
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 10:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Distributor Performance

Is there any performance advantage of a Ford dual point distributor over a
Pertronix electronically  triggered distributor.  There certainly can't be
a maintenance advantage to a dual point, so is a dual point's firing worth
it?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Josten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 09:09:40 -0700

What about installing the Pertronix setup in a dual point distributor?
Bob J.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM, wseay <[email-masked]> wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: Robert D. Hogan
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/wseay@
> embarqmail.com
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 17:22:09 +0000

I've been running a Pertronix Ignitor II in a dual-point for many years on my
289 car and it has been stone reliable. This includes track day adventures. My
331 car has a complete Pertronix Flame-Thrower distributor running the later
Pertronix Ignitor III ignition which has a built in rev limiter. As far as
dwell, the technology monitors coil current and varies the dwell for maximum
spark output across the RPM range unlike points (single or dual) which are
fixed dwell.

http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor3/default.aspx

When we build a race-only engine then the more exotic MSD systems are used.
The Pertronix are pretty much plug-and-play and a great choice for a mild
street engine or if you want to keep the original distributor but get better
performance.

The Ignitor II for a non-vacuum Ford dual-point is model 91284
Bugz

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bob Josten
Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 12:10 PM
To: wseay
Cc: Tiger's Den
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Distributor Performance

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 8:11 AM, wseay <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The objective of the dual-point distributor is to increase dwell to
> get a larger spark.  With the Pertronix you get the increased dwell
> with none of the disadvantages of the mechanical point set in the dual-point
setup.
> There is one potential advantage to the dual-point distributor that
> you might want to consider though.  The dual-point distributor is set
> up to optimize performance.  As such, it has no vacuum advance and,
> presumably, has a mechanical advance curve which is intended for
> maximum performance rather than the best compromise between economy
> (i.e. with vacuum advance) and performance.  If you install a
> Pertronix unit you will retain the stock vacuum and mechanical advance
> which should provide the best economy/performance compromise.  If you
> want the combined advantage of low maintenance from the Pertronix and
> optimal performance from the dual-point you can install a Pertronix
> unit, disconnect the vacuum advance and diddle with the mechanical advance.
>
>
> "I think not therefore I am not" (anon) -----Original Message-----
> From: Robert D. Hogan
> Is there any performance advantage of a Ford dual point distributor
> over a Pertronix electronically  triggered distributor.  There
> certainly can't be a maintenance advantage to a dual point, so is a
> dual point's firing worth it?
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Josten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:13:19 -0700

Hi Mark and Ron, I use Pertronix in a couple of my stock cars and also have
the MSD box and distributor in my street tiger.
I like both setups, both have been really reliable and it's really nice not
having to think about gap and dwell.
For my stock mk2 I was wondering about the merits of using Pertronix in my
dual point distributor with only mechanical advance vs. using it in a stock
distributor with vacuum/mechanical advance.
I have a vintage dual point in there now and am using points. I just
caravaned to and from the Historics from LA with another mk2 owner. He has
the dual point with Pertronix ll I think.
We both have stock 289's and I got about 21 mpg on the trip using points
and my car drove great.
I think I'll switch over to Pertronix with my dual point and see what the
difference is.
thanks
Bob J.

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]