Subject: Re: [Tigers] Opinion

From: "Jim McLaughlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 09:55:37 -0500

Mark,

First I would plan my hour and have a list.  Always perform a visual
inspection since finding a surprise could change any of the best laid plans.
Bring help, at least one other person familiar with the car.

1.  During the visual consider taking pictures and notes while prioritizing
any leaks, 	damage or surprises.  If you have grease fittings, grease
them.  Have tools and 	supplies on list ready to go, but do not limit to
these, bring extra.
2.  Check the list regularly and cross off completed items.
3.  Driveshaft needs a good visual with hands on, is anything loose.
4.  Exhaust hangers and system any leaks or broken, these could be repaired
later.
5.  Interferences with shift linkage and other moving part clearances.
6.  Change trans fluid, maybe the rear end although this can be done later
7.  Check rear main and front seals
8.  Check brake lines and wheel cylinders or calipers for rubbing and or
leaks.
9.  Check frame for rust starting (again) and/or damage clean out with a
vacuum 	places on the frame where road junk could accumulate and absorb
water and 	stay wet.
10. Clean the bottom of the car with a good cleaner and touch up spots with
paint, 	rust encap or undercoating, or whatever you use.
11. Go back and review list, pictures taken, and if needed plan next attack!
Feel free to add or subtract everyone...

Jim McLaughlin

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2014 9:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Opinion

Let's say you haven't done any serious maintenance on your car for  3-4 
years other than changing fluids, checking tire pressure, etc.    You get a 
chance to get your car on a lift for an hour.  What  would you spend your
time 
doing under the car?  In other words what do you  think is often neglected 
although fairly simple?
Mark
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 11:43:10 -0400

ZF fluid change
Check exhaust system  fastners
Inspect hoses belts
Look for leaks
Lube everything I could

Michael Shortt
On Aug 9, 2014 10:35 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Rense" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 18:35:53 -0400

Great suggestions all around. I would also recommend looking at your motor
mounts, they tend to delaminate over time, and if you are running a tweaked
motor there is a strong chance of the left one being completely separated.

Look for any weeping from front/rear main seals and oil pan, the oil filter
adapter and the clutch slave cylinder.

This is a good opportunity to grab a couple wrenches and snug up any loose
bolts.

Also, undo your engine-to-frame ground strap, clean the ends, and reattach.
Same for fuel pump ground.
Bugz

-----Original Message-----

Let's say you haven't done any serious maintenance on your car for  3-4 
years other than changing fluids, checking tire pressure, etc.    You get a 
chance to get your car on a lift for an hour.  What  would you spend your
time doing under the car?  In other words what do you  think is often
neglected although fairly simple?
Mark
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2014 16:08:45 -0700

I'd say the most important thing is a pre-check for things that can be done 
with the car on the lift.  That way you are prepared (items purchased, 
wrenches handy) and can tackle what can be done in that limited hour (which 
I'm sure will fly by).  One other area I don't recall being mentioned is the 
Panhard rod.  Especially if you have an older Tiger.  My mount was 
completely torn off the frame rail (not by me). 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]