Subject: Re: [Tigers] Cowl screw

From: Alex Haugland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 17:03:14 -0700

Thanks for asking that!  I was trying to figure out if that screw was 
original to my car or not (and also what the heck it was for).  I've 
left it there when I stripped my car for repainting and, as it had been 
painted over previously, it's being painted over now while my car is in 
the process of going back to being the original Moonstone paint colour.  
If it shouldn't be painted, I'll probably remove it, blast it clean and 
replate it but until I hear otherwise, I'll probably leave mine painted.

Alex Haugland
Eugene, Oregon
B9470334LRXFE

On 8/19/2014 7:49 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Hey, guys:
>
> I've been a Tiger owner now for coming up on thirty-five years and yet I can't believe I'm going to have to ask this question.  There is a pan head screw on top of the cowl on the driver's side right above the firewall.  I've never known what this was for, although I speculate that it was used on the Alpine as a ground point (maybe?).  The question is a two-parter...first, what exactly is the screw for and, second...is it supposed to be painted the body color or left natural?
>
> Thanks much,
> Andy Walker
> Edmond, OK
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Jeffery Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 21:41:17 -0400

The one on my SV alpine is not painted and has 2 ground wires on it that go
into the loom, sorry no original tiger to look at

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Alex Haugland <[email-masked]> wrote:

> original to my car or not (and also what the heck it was for).  I've left
> it there when I stripped my car for repainting and, as it had been painted
> over previously, it's being painted over now while my car is in the process
> of going back to being the original Moonstone paint colour.  If it
> shouldn't be painted, I'll probably remove it, blast it clean and replate
> it but until I hear otherwise, I'll probably leave mine painted.
>
> Alex Haugland
> Eugene, Oregon
> B9470334LRXFE
>
>
>> I've been a Tiger owner now for coming up on thirty-five years and yet I
>> can't believe I'm going to have to ask this question.  There is a pan head
>> screw on top of the cowl on the driver's side right above the firewall.
>> I've never known what this was for, although I speculate that it was used
>> on the Alpine as a ground point (maybe?).  The question is a
>> two-parter...first, what exactly is the screw for and, second...is it
>> supposed to be painted the body color or left natural?
>>
>> Thanks much,
>> Andy Walker
>> Edmond, OK
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/jefferyrandall@
> gmail.com

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jim McLaughlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 09:09:30 -0500

Listers,

I have an HRO - Series V Sunbeam Alpine.  For those that may not know this
is a RHD (right hand drive) Alpine (home market) and it has factory
overdrive.  Anyway I just checked the cowl screw and it is natural with 2
black wires in a grounding terminal.  The bad news is that it is a Phillips
head screw and should be a regular slotted head screw.

Here is some background on the car; I am the 2nd owner, bought it from the
original owner, whose parents got it for him when he attended Cambridge
University in the UK.  I bought the car in Washington, DC when I lived there
in 1981-82.  The original owner brought it to the US when he emigrated here.
The reason I even replied is the car is original paint (and rust) car.  Up
for restoration after my Tiger is essentially complete, oh yes, they never
are, so I will start soon anyway.

Jim McLaughlin
B382000175LRXFE

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jeffery
Randall
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:41 PM
To: Alex Haugland
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Cowl screw

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne Pierzga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 15:29:57 -0400

Actually....  The screw is indeed Phillips head. And is normally 'black'.
The easiest way to achieve the finish is to clean the screw, polish a bit
then dip in 'gun-blue' let it dry and buff. Might have to dip-buff a few
times to get a near black finish.

Should be able to get gun-barrel bluing at a local outdoors shop for a few
bucks.

Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim McLaughlin [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2014 10:10 AM
To: [email-masked]; 'Alex Haugland'
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Cowl screw

Listers,

Jim McLaughlin
B382000175LRXFE

-----Original Message-----

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 8:03 PM, Alex Haugland <[email-masked]> wrote:

> left it there when I stripped my car for repainting and, as it had 
> been painted over previously, it's being painted over now while my car 
> is in the
process
> shouldn't be painted, I'll probably remove it, blast it clean and 
>> I've been a Tiger owner now for coming up on thirty-five years and 
>> yet I can't believe I'm going to have to ask this question.  There is 
>> a pan
head
>> I've never known what this was for, although I speculate that it was 
>> used on the Alpine as a ground point (maybe?).  The question is a 
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/jefferyrandall@
> gmail.com

[email-masked]

[email-masked]