Subject: Re: [Tigers] Mark II Trim

From: Cullen McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 08:57:31 -0500

I agree the 3d printers are going to revolutionize problems like these. I
don't know for sure if it would be the perfect solution considering the
material, but I like the thought behind it for these parts and possibly
others that are unobtainium. From what little I know, the printing is
probably not the hard part, its the accurate 3d Scan... getting a 3D
representation in the machine so the printer can cut the shape. pure shapes
are easy, but shapes as complex as wheel arch trim would be difficult to
model in the computer without having been scanned in 3d first. There are
machines out there that do this but I think they are even more specialized
than the 3D printer. Well... its worth noting as part of the process.

Cullen
Alpine 260

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Tod Brown <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I don't know if it is possible, but it seems to me that, given the recent
> advances in 3-D printing, it might be possible to reproduce the moldings in
> plastic and have them silver coated. I think a lot of auto moldings are
> done this way nowadays. The advantage would, hopefully, be the lowered
> cost. If done well enough, only someone with a sharp eye would know. If the
> price turns out low enough, it would be a wise move on the part of every
> MkII owner to buy a set as a backup, or even as the primary set so as to
> preserve the original. I have a friend with a MkII who needs one piece of
> side trim who would be very pleased with such a solution. Just a thought
> for discussion.
>
> Tod
> B382002384LRXFE
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: michael king <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 22:02:32 +0800

The modelling is not that hard for the arch trim as its essentially a
single rail sweep, the profile of the arch and the trim is not difficult.
3d scanners are available.. but not needed for a job like this. you model
the sectional profile of the trim and sweep it along the path of the wheel
arch lip.

I have 3d printed quite a few things lately.. but you need to use a powder
printer for fine detail and smooth surface.

There is a firm in the EU printing repro aston martin parts!

On 11 July 2014 21:57, Cullen McCann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Regards

Michael King

[email-masked]

---

From: "Teepen, Jere" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:05:41 +0000

I was fortunate enough due to my smart kid to tour the SpaceX facility. They
have some amazing stuff there (of course).  We saw items made from 3D printing
that were made from inconel. They said it is better to print the inconel parts
than try to machine it from billet as the printing gets the part close to the
shape needed and can be final machined at that point.
If you are not familiar with inconel, do a google search.  Cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 11, 2014, at 6:57 AM, "Cullen McCann" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

[email-masked]