Subject: [Tigers] Tiger Rear Axle

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 19:07:44 +0000

Rande,  just rebuilt my Salisbury rear end last month, it is a DANA 44 design
built by Salisbury, they were a subsidiary of Dana at the time. Every part
that went into the rebuild was standard for a Dana 44 pressed-hub axle except
for the ring gear bolts (7/16 vs 3/8).

BTW, the combination of the 2.72 gear set, a Posi unit (thanks Spike!), a
wide-ratio Toploader conversion, and a 370 ft-lb 331 stroker is absolutely
wonderful, and somewhat addictive. Plenty of off-the-line bang, and a relaxed
2900 rpm at 75 MPH.  Not quite as flexible as a 5-speed conversion but cheaper
and no sheet metal cutting or banging or modifying required.

The shop that completed it is Hensels Gearage in Massillon OH
http://www.henselsgearage.com/

Dan Hensel is retired racer and they only do rear ends and have the correct
hub puller, spreader and experience for Tiger axles, including the Glyptal.
Contact me if you need more info.

Bugz

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of snakebit289
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 1:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] The Sports and Exotic Car recent article

I, too, noticed that the Santa Maria Tiger is not 100 percent original or a
100 point example, but it seems to be a 12 month a year daily driver, and I'm
fine with the car that the magazine chose. I'm always interested to hear from
longtime Tiger owners, and remember that this was the second full Tiger IA
evaluation from the magazine in seven months. Remember the Andy Rooney Tiger
restoration article.

If I have any concerns about the article, it's the comment about Tigers being
built with "heavier gauge steel" than Alpines. Anyone read that before,
anywhere? Also, the comment about the Dana diff. The axle assembly was sourced
from the UK firm, Salisbury. Did Salisbury themselves source just the diff
from Dana, or does it just have some common parts? I don't ask these things
rhetorically, I'd like to know.

Rande Bellman
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]