Subject: [Tigers] Rear tire rubbing

From: Tiger Man <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 11:08:43 -0600

I took the tiger out the other day, its been too long.  A guy at work wanted
to check it out, so we went for a spin.  I eventually pulled off in a dusty
dirt area and let him drive.  At the time when I was switching sides, I
noticed that the passenger rear tire had a big rub mark on it, which was
really evident by the dust everywhere else.  I didn't see any evidence of it
on the drivers side.

The guy from work was a big guy, and I'm not exactly a lightweight either.  So
not sure if that was one of those one time weird things of two big guys
bottoming out the suspension when I left the pavement, or if I truly have a
problem.

The car is running 185/70R13 on stock rims.   I measured the clearance from
the ground to the fender, and the center of the axle, of course I forgot to
write it down, so I will have to go out and remeasure at some point.

Basically I am trying to figure out, are the tires I am running a bit
optimistic on height/width, or is my suspension starting to sag.  There is a
shop locally that does big business re-arching springs for classic cars so not
sure if its time to go see them, but even if I do, not sure the would have the
specs on what the springs should look like.

Also the tires still have plenty of tread on them, but I know they are
probably getting old enough that they need to be replaced anyway.  So I will
be trying to decide on a replacement tire, or the possibility of wheel/tire
upgrade.  But in the mean time, I'd rather not loose a tire though because of
sidewall failure, as I believe my spare is original 1965 issue

Anyone have any experience in that tire size, or the measurement I can use to
check my suspension?

Thanks,
Steve
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Tom Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2014 11:44:40 -0700

The older Tigers had the panhard rod that can cause some sideways motion 
towards the passenger of the car. Other than that the tire size I doubt is 
causing the problem. 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 15:09:04 -0400

Steve, My tires are P195 60R15s; they don't rub, but I'm usually the only
occupant, & I'm a scrawny cuss. A couple things come to mind, and Tom
touched on the first: put a yard stick on the sidewalls and look at the
clearance (both sides) to the inner fender lips. Mine's a Mark 2 - they
improved (imho) the placement of the panhard rod mounts. I used the panhard
rod to center the tires under the car. So far it's held - no sign of
rubbing.

The second is the passenger; you said he was rather large, It may be an
indication of weak rear springs Dale (Dale's Restorations) sells rear
springs he claims are so good the traction bars aren't needed to control
wheel hop.

I doubt it's the tires.

Tom
'67 Mark 2

Before I went to 15" rims I used P195 70R13 tires (with a 2BBL stock
engine); they worked well... if you can find them.

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:44 PM, Tom Witt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> causing the problem. _______________________________________________
>
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/tkparker1941@
> gmail.com

[email-masked]