Subject: [Tigers] Power Shifts

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 16:26:49 -0700

Ok, I realize that there are differences of opinions, and they are not all
correct - but the holders usually believe their opinion is right.  My dad
brought me up saying that power shifts were not good, a quick way to burn
out a clutch, and not the fastest way to accelerate.  He said it was better
to match speeds, and not to put full power down before the clutch was
engaged.  By "power shift" I mean an upshift with the clutch in, where
after you've pushed the lever into the next gear, you floor it, then drop
the clutch.  I've been to countless car races and I can't say I've ever
heard a racer do that.  I've never done it.

So my sister was over this last weekend with her husband and son.  The son
was showing off his new Ford SUV that he swapped out the automatic and
dropped in a manual.  It was some cool work, and he should be proud.
 However, when he took my son for a drive, he did full power shifts -
bragging about getting rubber even in 3rd gear.  When they came back, he
showed my son some You Tube videos of guys doing the same.  My
brother-in-law who has some amateur drag racing in his past, just chuckled
and didn't suggest anything was wrong with it.

What do people think about this?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Sandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 16:51:56 -0700

Their are a few cases were power shifts are good to go -

1. Rental Cars
2. Looking cool during the violent one time test of your engine and 
driveline.

 From experience it might work on the drag strip with a car set up for 
it doing it.

 From my personal experience in NON RENTAL CARS

1. Broken spider gears D44
2. Twisted pinion  off D44
3. Broken U-Joints
4. Sideways into a parked car
5. Broken off shifter handle
6. Broken engine mount
7. Destroyed engine thrust bearing
8. Cracked/removed friction material on clutch disk

And so on.

Never broke a gear box, but plenty of time for that. But now that I'm 
older and somewhat wiser (only a little) I now reserve the speed 
shifting for rental cars when manuals trans are available. If you want 
to go fast for drag racing just get an automatic something ;)

IMO it's all around it bad for everything although wickedly fun when 
done correctly.

Sandy
Quote - "Is it true Mr. Frankenstein that you can shift faster then a 
1/60th of a second"... No Comment

On 7/9/2014 4:26 PM, Jay Laifman wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 20:14:16 -0400

Jay
	Not into it myself.  Considering how difficult and time consuming it
is to replace a clutch or transmission on most vehicles today I would not do
it.  I also do not want a flywheel or clutch ripping past my foot or any
other body part if they happen to fail.

	I consider spinning tires and sliding sideways, the slow way to go
forward. I'm just not into drifting.  You need a tire sponsor when you burn
up a set of tires every 10 miles.

	Drag racers have clutch packs that are designed for full power
slipping.  They also have all the safety equipment and parts to contain any
shrapnel and usually a budget to handle those situations.

	Last time I side stepped the clutch was in a 71 Datsun 510 - thought
I was going to have to rebuild the master and slave cylinders for the
clutch.  I'm not sure what happened but I did not have a clutch pedal for
about 5 minutes; it did finally come back and seemed fine.  I won't do that
again.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jay Laifman
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 7:27 PM
To: Tiger's Den
Subject: [Tigers] Power Shifts

Ok, I realize that there are differences of opinions, and they are not all
correct - but the holders usually believe their opinion is right.  My dad
brought me up saying that power shifts were not good, a quick way to burn
out a clutch, and not the fastest way to accelerate.  He said it was better
to match speeds, and not to put full power down before the clutch was
engaged.  By "power shift" I mean an upshift with the clutch in, where after
you've pushed the lever into the next gear, you floor it, then drop the
clutch.  I've been to countless car races and I can't say I've ever heard a
racer do that.  I've never done it.

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4716 / Virus Database: 3986/7817 - Release Date: 07/08/14
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "DERRICK SCHMIDT" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 17:44:27 -0700

My toploader and rear end were built by Tom of Tom's Differentials (supposedly
where Shirley Muldowney got her rear ends built back in the day).

He said I could take it to red line, side step the clutch and at least from
1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th I could leave my foot on the floor and just yank on
the shifter.  Of course he didn't mention drive shaft or engine.

Have I ever tried it?
No.

Will I ever try it?
Highly unlikely.

FWIW

---- Original Message ----
From: "Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Sent: 7/9/2014 5:38:06 PM
To: "'Jay Laifman'" <[email-masked]>, "'Tiger's Den'"
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Power Shifts

Jay

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jay Laifman
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 7:27 PM
To: Tiger's Den
Subject: [Tigers] Power Shifts

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 20:56:38 -0400 s=q20140121; t=1404953797; bh=e1ym7b3v0czE9LYD4CVWGn02UlIv8j9BWIgu22CrhPQ=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=vjbJ3iLWFZVMdITgDXpcpmPzxb/cIk2DLEIV1A8FABDiaTTqzNnIuhyLBdySYT4Od 27pqCw0SExN1X2rMVJ6Bwd1xrUiCb1zFOX7xYXU3oNaHkCMs+SDX6c7mkE1ntvT/Hp hbzOpSu1xeAEfKYqTWs/dUMVPW+nd5SygZLgwwg5Sg7avT098CatNXREwcTY55fVyG cHpGEmTbiqSaLVFvMJUhxhAphG+SSKo6LUwgWJqwKL/Lb4FKgaGY6Lg6Rla5xAfWNY HG/eRY4AWfzTZN0cDbk9s/j8K1l1iUweJZmwiSlL5HJ9zjiUUTtDfxS68BEvC3l6lE Sob5yxtuO4/Ww==

I'll bet he gets a lot of repeat customers with advice like that...

Stu

[email-masked]