Subject: Re: [Tigers] Mk 2 trim

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 12:48:42 -0700

I looked into that spray chrome he had.  At least from what I was told, it
doesn't work as well as shown, and can't really be found anymore.

As to custom parts, I realize that at some point the price of some parts
seem to make sense for someone to reproduce them.  However, I also know
that in the Porsche 356 world, where cars go for well over $100,000 and in
some cases multiple times that for basically the same car but with less
roof, there has been a pretty large drop off in parts available.  The
general consensus is that even though the cars are so valuable, there are
very few cars remaining that are unrestored.  So the potential for demand
from future restorations is seen as low.  Also, the number of these cars
that actually get driven enough to wear out parts, like when they were
"real" cars, driven regularly, has also dropped even more dramatically. So
a lot of the parts manufacturers are turning elsewhere, or making much
lower quality parts.

Just a ray of cheery sunlight for your day.

Jay

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> A 3D printer and that spray chrome shown on Jay Leno's "you tube"  video
>  would do perfectly well for probably $ 25 a piece.
>
> I just don't think anybody's got this angle yet.
>
> You can buy a pretty good Alpine for $ 7,100.
>
>
>
> Jim  Armstrong
> Mk 1A
> 382002083
> LRXFE
> TAC  0763
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 16:15:44 -0400

Jay, Jim, Group: My original post (I think) got lost in the shuffle.

An auction on EBay closed today for Mark 2 Tiger Wheel Arch Trim. The going
price was @ $8,500 which, to me as a Mark 2 owner is totally out of sight.

We've reached the point, I think, where some enterprising fabricator can
make the part at a reasonable price and expect a reasonable profit. The
problem - for me - is these guys are hard to find.

So help me out, so I can help out the community. Yeah, I'm willing to
invest a reasonable sum to have some made - one set for me, some to sell at
a more reasonable price.  Clearly marked as "Reproductions - "x" available
at $??? a set."  There are about 350 Mark 2's identified in Norm's list,
there are a dozen or so interested folks tracking the trim when it show up
on EBay.

Does anybody have a shop or know of a shop that can make rolled stainless
steel trim?

Tom
'67 Mark 2

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Jay Laifman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]