Subject: [Tigers] Age-Old Tire Debate . . .

From: "Lon Walters" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 14:13:17 -0700

Think this an ostrich approach, but wait and see the final report . . .
Maybe these are the same folks who ignore ignition switches on GM cars . . .

Lon

By SEMA Washington, D.C., Staff
 
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) does not intend
to issue a federal safety standard based on tire age. The agency announced
its decision in a report entitled, "Tire Aging: A Summary of NHTSA's Work."
The agency has been studying the issue for many years. 
 
The NHTSA cited several primary factors for not pursuing a tire-aging safety
standard. It noted that tires have become more robust in recent years as a
result of increased performance mandates required under the Transportation
Safety Enhancement, Accountability and Documentation (TREAD) Act of 2000.
Recent crash data verify that these tires are performing better on the road.
The NHTSA also credited mandatory tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS)
installed on newer vehicles as having helped alert motorists when tires are
underinflated. 
 
The NHTSA did note a continuing concern for tires in hot-weather states and
spare tires that may be very old and may potentially be rotated into use.
The NHTSA intends to discuss the topic through social media messages, fact
sheets, infographics and other web content. 

[email-masked]

----
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]