Subject: Re: [Tigers] Mk 2 trim

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 16:02:12 -0400 (EDT)

I believe a MkII too far gone to restore went for $22k recently...so, maybe 
 a full stainless trim set is now a $20k item? Scary.

In a message dated 7/7/2014 12:54:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I looked  into that spray chrome he had.  At least from what I was told,  it
doesn't work as well as shown, and can't really be found  anymore.

As to custom parts, I realize that at some point the price of  some parts
seem to make sense for someone to reproduce them.  However,  I also know
that in the Porsche 356 world, where cars go for well over  $100,000 and in
some cases multiple times that for basically the same car  but with less
roof, there has been a pretty large drop off in parts  available.  The
general consensus is that even though the cars are so  valuable, there are
very few cars remaining that are unrestored.  So  the potential for demand
from future restorations is seen as low.   Also, the number of these cars
that actually get driven enough to wear out  parts, like when they were
"real" cars, driven regularly, has also dropped  even more dramatically. So
a lot of the parts manufacturers are turning  elsewhere, or making much
lower quality parts.

Just a ray of cheery  sunlight for your day.

Jay

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:

> A 3D printer and that spray  chrome shown on Jay Leno's "you tube"  video
>  would do  perfectly well for probably $ 25 a piece.
>
> I just don't think  anybody's got this angle yet.
>
> You can buy a pretty good Alpine  for $ 7,100.
>
>
>
> Jim  Armstrong
> Mk  1A
> 382002083
> LRXFE
> TAC  0763
>  _______________________________________________
>
>  [email-masked]
>
> Donate:  http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>  Unsubscribe:
>  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]