Subject: [Tigers] Remote oil filter hoses

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 11:42:03 -0400

Hey, guys:

I'm fixin' to ask a question that I'll probably get laughed out on, but here
goes anyway.  Does anyone out there have an NOS set of remote oil filter hoses
that they'd like to part with?  Okay...let the laughing commence!!!

Okay, now to the real question.  If a fellow is trying to restore his car to
original specs, where could he come up with some factory-style hoses for the
remote filter set-up?  I've spoken to Rick at SS and told him what I was
trying to do and asked him about the hoses that he sells.  He was honest about
it and told me that, while they will work just fine, they were not meant to be
a concours replacement item for the original.  I also understood him to say
that the original bell-style crimp collars on the ends of the flex part of the
hose are no longer available anywhere.

I've done some checking with a high-end mechanic buddy of mine who does
restoration work on some rather rare and expensive cars and he says that the
new type of crimp collars look different.  Further research also turns up the
fact that pretty much all the hose ends and collars out there are plated with
a yellow zinc look rather than the old-looking silver zinc finish.

Before I go any further, let me explain that I have the original hose that
runs from the middle of the block adapter to the middle of the oil filter
adapter, even though it definitely needs a new flex hose installed.  It's the
shorter factory hose that I don't have.  To be clear, I have one but it's not
original and, frankly, I can't even figure how anyone could install it; it's
nowhere near right.  This is the hose that I'm really trying to find fittings
for.  Consequently, here's what I'm thinking about doing...and somebody please
stop me if this is a stupid idea...I'm going to go down to a local hose
manufacturer today on my lunch break and see what they have in the way of hose
fittings that would be as close to the originals as possible for the short
hose.  If I can find anything suitable (or close enough), I plan on buying
them and taking the fittings for both hoses to a local plater in town and
having them plated with a silver zinc finish.  Once that's done, I could take
them back to the hose place and have them install the new flexible hose on the
fittings that I had previously had plated.  Does this sound feasible, or am I
"gagging on knats and swallowing flies?"  What say everybody?  Is there
something out there that I haven't found or thought of???

One more thing...does anybody know what the original flexible part of the hose
looked like?  I am assuming black in color, right?  Was it a smooth rubber
finish or was it more stiff and rough like some of the reinforced hoses we see
today?

Thanks for any advice,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "wseay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 18:18:36 -0400

Andy,

You're a real nit picker.  I'm not sure whether I should encourage you or 
not, but here goes anyway.  I've attached a picture of a very tired OEM 
short adapter hose .  You other folks on the list won't get the attachment. 
The picture includes a ruler so you should be able to scale dimensions.  The 
picture is a bit deceptive about the angle of the long piece of tubing on 
the block end of the hose so I measured the angle for you.  The angle 
measures 110 degrees (looks closer to 90 deg. in the pic).  It's obvious 
from the picture that the hose is black.  Surface is fairly slick, but I 
wouldn't say "rubbery".  OK, now you know as much about the hose as I do.

Good luck, hope this helps

Will Seay - [email-masked]
______________________________
"I think not therefore I am not" (anon)
-----Original Message----- 
From: [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2014 11:42 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Remote oil filter hoses

Hey, guys:

I'm fixin' to ask a question that I'll probably get laughed out on, but here
goes anyway.  Does anyone out there have an NOS set of remote oil filter 
hoses
that they'd like to part with?  Okay...let the laughing commence!!!

Okay, now to the real question.  If a fellow is trying to restore his car to
original specs, where could he come up with some factory-style hoses for the
remote filter set-up?  I've spoken to Rick at SS and told him what I was
trying to do and asked him about the hoses that he sells.  He was honest 
about
it and told me that, while they will work just fine, they were not meant to 
be
a concours replacement item for the original.  I also understood him to say
that the original bell-style crimp collars on the ends of the flex part of 
the
hose are no longer available anywhere.

I've done some checking with a high-end mechanic buddy of mine who does
restoration work on some rather rare and expensive cars and he says that the
new type of crimp collars look different.  Further research also turns up 
the
fact that pretty much all the hose ends and collars out there are plated 
with
a yellow zinc look rather than the old-looking silver zinc finish.

Before I go any further, let me explain that I have the original hose that
runs from the middle of the block adapter to the middle of the oil filter
adapter, even though it definitely needs a new flex hose installed.  It's 
the
shorter factory hose that I don't have.  To be clear, I have one but it's 
not
original and, frankly, I can't even figure how anyone could install it; it's
nowhere near right.  This is the hose that I'm really trying to find 
fittings
for.  Consequently, here's what I'm thinking about doing...and somebody 
please
stop me if this is a stupid idea...I'm going to go down to a local hose
manufacturer today on my lunch break and see what they have in the way of 
hose
fittings that would be as close to the originals as possible for the short
hose.  If I can find anything suitable (or close enough), I plan on buying
them and taking the fittings for both hoses to a local plater in town and
having them plated with a silver zinc finish.  Once that's done, I could 
take
them back to the hose place and have them install the new flexible hose on 
the
fittings that I had previously had plated.  Does this sound feasible, or am 
I
"gagging on knats and swallowing flies?"  What say everybody?  Is there
something out there that I haven't found or thought of???

One more thing...does anybody know what the original flexible part of the 
hose
looked like?  I am assuming black in color, right?  Was it a smooth rubber
finish or was it more stiff and rough like some of the reinforced hoses we 
see
today?

Thanks for any advice,
Andy Walker
Edmond, OK

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Short_filter_adapter_hose.JPG]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]