Subject: [Tigers] Scam alert

From: "Curt Bowland" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 20:39:35 -0500

Hi Folks.

I would like to alert people to a possible scam. I will not mention any names
in this message for legal reasons. I was recently contacted by an individual
offering a Tiger for sale at a VERY attractive price. Their contact message to
me via e=mail stated that I had responded to a "Cars.com" ad sometime in the
past. Evidently if you look at a Cars.com ad your e-mail is captured and used
to prompt/remind the taker of that inquiry.

I was told a story about family problems and even a death that the sender said
made them to occupied with other tasks to respond. I began the process of the
usual back and forth and received a relatively detailed description of the
vehicle which included an offer to pay transportation costs for the first 500
miles. Several things kind of rang a bell for me. First, in the description of
the restoration work, mention was made of the battery location, to where a
Alpine battery would usually be. Also, it was noted that the exhaust did NOT
pass through the frame in the usual Tiger fashion. Lastly, the tachometer had
been replaced by an aftermarket item. My suspicion here was 4 cyl v 8 cyl.

I kept exchanging e-mail and even included my phone info. Interestingly the
other party never offered their contact information although reference to
where they lived and the location of the car was exchanged.

Being a LONG time Tiger person and active member of TE/AE I do have some
additional resources available that an un-suspecting buyer might not have. I
contacted one of these individuals who graciously offered to travel to the
car's location and inspect on my behalf. As soon as I mentioned this to the
seller asking for phone contact information all communication abruptly
ceased.

Here is what I will share in this message. The car is said to be a 1965 Tiger,
BRG. with 30184 miles. Offered at $14,700. A picture of the VIN looks like
B382006604 LRXFE but the seller stated B382000604. The tag looks pretty
authentic. JAL is660600. No comment as to rivets but I do have a photo. The
car I was told resides in the north east corner of South Carolina.

Based on my experience I feel duty bound to share this information. Contact me
off list for additional details.

Curt in Chicago
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]