Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clutch Problem?

From: THEO SMIT <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 07:19:43 -0600 (MDT)

Probably the throwout bearing... Pressing the clutch pedal loads it and then the noise goes away. Happened to me at SUNI III. If that's all it is, then there's no real issue waiting until you can get the transmission out at a more convenient time but you'll have to do that sooner rather than later.

Theo

> On Jun 28, 2014, at 6:27 AM, "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> In the hope this network is now working, I'm sending this again.
> 
> British Car Day went well last Sundayb&  UNTIL the drive home.  Something was going on with either the carburetor or the timing that wasn't there for the drive to the show that morning...  but thatbs not the big problem.
> 
> I thought it was the truck behind me was making that noise as I waited at the last light before reaching home, but it wasnbt.  It was still there as I idled into my own driveway.  Therebs a rattling noise coming from somewhere to the right of my right foot.  Press the clutch in, and it goes away. Release it and its back.  Not sure if itbs there with the clutch engaged and the car moving in gear.
> 
> So far Ibve confirmed that the external spring is connected and in place. The drain plug did not fall out of the gearbox.The noise was not there after a 45 minute drive the previous day, or after arriving at the BCD site that morning.  It seems to have started on the way home.  The clutch and shifting feel normal.
> 
> Anybody recognize the symptoms?  Ibm guessing something in the clutch, the throwout works or whatever, more of a project than I have the time or facilities to tackle.
> 
> Stu Brennan _______________________________________________
> 
> [email-masked]
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 21:07:41 -0400 s=q20140121; t=1404090468; bh=jB7y1Qovr++jRcP7gzJBpz5xIdrisswI9Qz1S/v0yIs=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=gJmNNiaoHc7uFlr2AwumAR9iS5UilpO3cgLWxQbYwgM5Z52uhGAB+dSYpEP2DiaPj KI2utBkoXclrEVtidlJrQ4mobXyrFqf/9CUSMT1/aElMGpGPJVZyNKLKUYi6etAKVh +MhbYIkSNTgvHx3t20g4LGh6zuNC/3bayrd02gj6tAh0Mq09Uri1S2cqrRCNa2swWq 8YQJuCtDVFwo8lOS3zOqOz85gdDryRlOV+LKr7tVqk9nyt0mAsULBiMINY23MBj4yr wR13oDG4jrHewXXvtQabDNit5NNS3NhM8jTbftqhSY9RtzgVw9DId2o8X+4jUnYC3y +HdWDJcAeBLAQ==

Hi Guys:

I guess we all agree.  Throwout bearing.  Thanks for all the replies.

Saturday AM I got the Tiger out for the first time since the problems were 
noted.  I gave the carb and linkage a thorough spray cleaning with Gumout, 
lubed all the linkages, and checked if the distributor bolt had loosened. 
Nope.  I started the car, ran fine.  I watched the choke open as it warmed, 
no problems.  But there was no noise from the clutch.  I went for a 20 
minute drive around town, no problems, and it was warmer than last Sunday. 
Then I saw Tod Brown's email, saying he had the same thing happen, the noise 
would come and go, probably come more when it got really hot, before it 
eventually had to be replaced.

So I guess that's it, I already had no more long trips planned for this 
year.  But maybe soon it will have to come out. But while everything's 
apart, maybe it would be a convenient time to swap a wide ratio gearset into 
the toploader...

Stu

-----Original Message----- 
From: THEO SMIT
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2014 9:19 AM
To: Stu Brennan
Cc: Tiger Net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Clutch Problem?

Probably the throwout bearing... Pressing the clutch pedal loads it and then 
the noise goes away. Happened to me at SUNI III. If that's all it is, then 
there's no real issue waiting until you can get the transmission out at a 
more convenient time but you'll have to do that sooner rather than later.

Theo

> British Car Day went well last Sundayb&  UNTIL the drive home.  Something 
> was going on with either the carburetor or the timing that wasn't there 
> for the drive to the show that morning...  but thatbs not the big 
> problem.
>
> I thought it was the truck behind me was making that noise as I waited at 
> the last light before reaching home, but it wasnbt.  It was still there 
> as I idled into my own driveway.  Therebs a rattling noise coming from 
> somewhere to the right of my right foot.  Press the clutch in, and it goes 
> away. Release it and its back.  Not sure if itbs there with the clutch 
> engaged and the car moving in gear.
>
> So far Ibve confirmed that the external spring is connected and in place. 
> The drain plug did not fall out of the gearbox.The noise was not there 
> after a 45 minute drive the previous day, or after arriving at the BCD 
> site that morning.  It seems to have started on the way home.  The clutch 
> and shifting feel normal.
>
> Anybody recognize the symptoms?  Ibm guessing something in the clutch, 
> the throwout works or whatever, more of a project than I have the time or 
> facilities to tackle.
>

[email-masked]