Subject: [Tigers] Clutch Problem?

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 08:27:18 -0400 s=q20140121; t=1403958442; bh=R98b06eOw8psTiDHVXrl0qGXeR/zev05D+ukD3wZS7w=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=kpJyhvTRxXzebtPxPT5hau57sYM3H1Y4qKyuDplHwTtQldT++mNcTioUmspBLUwxp opZllEeYHdn5qH2gvsqUoFGjFO09IEAlpeObu/L4vbOpljUF6v+fE36LWDWFGxo1dY YgEwIpsXH3AtNG2sSctxcQNYuDMCql2eGGGKakeSpoR7LGhWVcP3FeBfkXkDUFOrwf Etu1ByKR7TVKbq2ptzOM5BI6IfKn9uGc6qFqRn2W3hE//wqb83pc4Lkfy8/Q8E9UdE dre0U8n5dk+SzN+ZcJLKgr8hsZig01LJ1/voO3p82ZBT1K7b1CznS72QedGbhL1N/r cUe+Mi3nPqnlQ==

In the hope this network is now working, I'm sending this again.

British Car Day went well last Sundayb&  UNTIL the drive home.  Something was 
going on with either the carburetor or the timing that wasn't there for the 
drive to the show that morning...  but thatbs not the big problem.

I thought it was the truck behind me was making that noise as I waited at 
the last light before reaching home, but it wasnbt.  It was still there as I 
idled into my own driveway.  Therebs a rattling noise coming from somewhere 
to the right of my right foot.  Press the clutch in, and it goes away. 
Release it and its back.  Not sure if itbs there with the clutch engaged and 
the car moving in gear.

So far Ibve confirmed that the external spring is connected and in place. 
The drain plug did not fall out of the gearbox.The noise was not there after 
a 45 minute drive the previous day, or after arriving at the BCD site that 
morning.  It seems to have started on the way home.  The clutch and shifting 
feel normal.

Anybody recognize the symptoms?  Ibm guessing something in the clutch, the 
throwout works or whatever, more of a project than I have the time or 
facilities to tackle.

Stu Brennan 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andy Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 08:27:48 -0500

Stu:

Sorry you're having problems like that.  Before I tore my Tiger down for its
mechanical restoration, I was having a similar issue.  The only difference
with my car was that I would describe the noise as more of a "whirring"
sound rather than a rattle that, like yours, would disappear when the clutch
pedal was depressed.  In either case, however, there shouldn't be a sound
like that.

Please understand that my car is not back together yet, so I can't tell you
definitively what was causing it.  However, I did find two possible culprits
upon disassembly.  First, my release bearing was totally past it.  I could
spin the bearing on its collar and get a noise that could have indeed been
what I was hearing.  The second thing that we found was a little more
sinister...read that "more expensive."  Because of other issues I was having
with the transmission, a rebuild was in order anyway.  Once we tore down the
transmission, however, we examined the input shaft bearing closely and found
that it, too, would make the dreaded "dry bearing" noise when you spun it.
As I stated before, it's pretty tough in my case to make the statement that
it was one or the other since both items were heavily worn.  Plus, the car
is not back together yet so I really can't even tell you that we've fixed
it.  However, I feel pretty confident that the problem will be gone upon
reassembly.

Problems like this on Tigers are not very fun to try to correct.  I hope
that what I've passed on here is of some help, even though the info may not
be what you would like to hear.

Best of luck,
Andy Walker
B382001600LRXFE
TAC #740

-----Original Message-----
From: Tigers [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Stu Brennan
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2014 7:27 AM
To: Tiger Net
Subject: [Tigers] Clutch Problem?

British Car Day went well last Sundayb&  UNTIL the drive home.  Something
was going on with either the carburetor or the timing that wasn't there for
the drive to the show that morning...  but thatbs not the big problem.

I thought it was the truck behind me was making that noise as I waited at
the last light before reaching home, but it wasnbt.  It was still there as
I idled into my own driveway.  Therebs a rattling noise coming from
somewhere to the right of my right foot.  Press the clutch in, and it goes
away.
Release it and its back.  Not sure if itbs there with the clutch engaged
and the car moving in gear.

Stu Brennan

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]