Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fuel Pump Question

From: "Tom Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 13:53:52 -0700

Jay,
  Is it possible the problem isn't the pump at all? If it is being powered 
through the ignition switch (as opposed to a relay) you may be taxing the 
contacts in the switch. Swinging keys can contribute to the problem.  The 
accelerator pump is simple enough to check. And the float level if you have 
a sight plug.  I'd drive it until the problem shows up, then immediately 
shut it off and pull to the side of the road (hopefully as level as 
possible). Pull the plug and see where the fuel level is.

BTW, did you test the failed pumps after you removed them?  If it isn't an 
outright electrical failure, reversing the polarity at a test battery might 
free the pump if debris is clogging it (should that be the problem). It 
won't completely unclog the pump, but it may allow you to better determine 
the problem.

Tom (one of the other ones on the list)

-----Original Message----- 
From: Tom Parker
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 8:58 PM
To: Jay Laifman
Cc: [email-masked] Den
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fuel Pump Question

Jay,

I'm certainly not an expert... I had a Holley fuel pump on the Kitty with a
fuel filter before the pump; the pump stopped working, so I removed the
filter and it worked fine (but it was loud, so I replaced it with the old
Bendix...). Fuel pressure if I recall correctly is @ 3 to 5 lbs. This from
Holly on the 4160, as I remember it.  Anyhow, 5 PSI should be fine.

Maybe timing, or a loose vacuum line to the distributor? If the motor runs
o.k. at speed and accelerates o.k. it probably isn't fuel pressure related.
(but it could be a carb adjustment...)

Tom
'67 Mark 2

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Jay Laifman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I rebuilt the stock pump and it was working fine.  It failed.  I grabbed a
> new
> Carter vane type pump I happened to have from another car and threw it in.
>  It
> worked for a short while then failed.  Then I grabbed one last Facet pump 
> I
> happened to have.  It is working, and still working.  But the car is now
> not
> running perfectly.  I don't know if it is related to the fuel pump.  But
> I've
> only noticed it since I change fuel pumps - and changed the spark plugs 
> and
> wires.
>
> I put a fuel pressure gauge on and found that this pump is putting out 
> 4.25
> psi.  I've looked around and have seen that 5.5-6 psi is suggested - but I
> can't confirm if that is correct for a 260 with a Holley.
>
> The problem I'm having is that I'm getting a little stumble on initial
> acceleration and I've noticed when I take my foot off the gas, like to
> shift
> up, the rpm drops all the way to 0, but does catch up again.
>
> One thought was that this fuel pump doesn't have enough volume for the
> carb/engine - or different enough volume that the float bowl is not at the
> same level as it was with the old pump.  But I don't know if that make
> sense.
>
> Another thought was that the accelerator pump is not putting out enough
> fuel.
> But, I haven't changed the accelerator pump and that wouldn't explain the
> far
> drop to 0 when lifting off the gas.  Although I don't know for sure if the
> two
> are related.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts.
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3480 / Virus Database: 3722/7599 - Release Date: 05/31/14 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Jeffery Randall <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 19:21:13 -0400

So after a day of working on the engine, (carb and valve adjustment) got
the carb sorted out , the metering block for the secondaries was loose
inside the bowl causing fuel to drip on to the throttle plate.1 down now on
to the accelerator pump, I removed the Philips screw that holds the nozzle
for the A pump and looked down at the needle valve inside and found a shard
of diecast jamming the needle, tried picking it out to no avail , so I got
the air gun and gave a quick blast straight down at the needle and it
popped out and down on to the throttle plate. fished it out with needle
nose,  then gave a pump and a lovely fountain came up, replaced the nozzle
all fixed!

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 11:58 PM, Tom Parker <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > worked for a short while then failed.  Then I grabbed one last Facet
> pump I
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2014 14:26:40 -0400 s=q20140121; t=1402165596; bh=2MCvBLhi+87TRhxWvGB8cDef912OheTPL0qnR2fzrXY=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=lBwzKBfMFpekDII5kq6+LdUHsUbif4J7TZagr1gXzrkn1wq8Nqh7ceNB94JhDH0pP AYS8MNdOmLwyCpoJjo5ts6K+PkwcQhRYz2P2Bhcgau6tM0thQgm7OP4xuj2Md+NTcL Y9soAjcwVi5HQRIJEmfSVh7gC41mRnnnHHu1k0hR0Xw/ng3+8SdRabJRoU8sdDjcaw SWLdx35ZILFKjy5DtUuDud7BUA9l9RpRh4s4Diae3yuP+ybA7iL5DkERZkpK3Y1hSA th3JzlhfMdW23DFf98AaPM4dqpICTb4zpeVbEJZdxkhxgnaIlKF8gBGj+Idrm0sUrJ 1b6kyDx4T9QBA==

My fuel pump project got delayed again by an article in the current TE/AE
newsletter.   John Logan added a shutoff valve to his fuel line, under the
trunk floor, which led me to decide I really should add a valve to my pump
and filter relocation project.  John used a hardware store valve that seems
to be surviving exposure to fuel, but I started a search for a valve
intended for fuel applications.

An internet search turned up numerous valves, but most of them seem to be
intended for lawn maintenance equipment, or small motorcycles.  I'm
concerned that any of these could prove to be a flow restriction for
automotive flow rates.

The ideal valve would be an all metal  "ball valve" type, a 1/4 turn to
actuate, that when open provides little if any flow restriction.  I'm still
using the stock 5/16 size pipe, and would want to connect to this as simply
as possible.

Can anyone recommend a source for this sort of valve?

Stu Brennan 

[email-masked]