Subject: [Tigers] Shift Boot Install Wisdom Needed...

From: Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:48:48 -0800

Ok, so I removed a shift boot that has been on the Tiger for, lemme 
see,  an even 50 years. Hard as an old tractor tire that has been out in 
the sun for several decades.  I have a new one to install, along with a 
new chrome ring and screws. So I am looking at the reverse lockout bar 
and saying to myself...that looks like it is going to be difficult to 
do, lol.  I see that the lever can be removed but, truthfully, that does 
not look like it will help any at all.  So, I am guessing that the 
proscribed method is to simply stretch that boot over the shaft and the 
lockout bar as best one can. That it?  Does a slight amount of heat from 
a heat gun help any? Silicon spray?   How have some of you folk recently 
done it?

Any help out there?

larry

-- 
______________________________
drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile
210.779 mph exit speed
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Andy Walker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:19:56 -0600

Larry:

The last one I replaced was years and years ago, but I do remember that I
stretched it over one side of the reverse T-bar at a time.  I didn't use any
heat or lubricant; just took my time.  I'm sure you'll find that method will
work for you, too.

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE
TAC #740

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Larry Mayfield
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 12:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Shift Boot Install Wisdom Needed...

Ok, so I removed a shift boot that has been on the Tiger for, lemme see,  an
even 50 years. Hard as an old tractor tire that has been out in the sun for
several decades.  I have a new one to install, along with a new chrome ring
and screws. So I am looking at the reverse lockout bar and saying to
myself...that looks like it is going to be difficult to do, lol.  I see that
the lever can be removed but, truthfully, that does not look like it will
help any at all.  So, I am guessing that the proscribed method is to simply
stretch that boot over the shaft and the lockout bar as best one can. That
it?  Does a slight amount of heat from 
a heat gun help any? Silicon spray?   How have some of you folk recently 
done it?

Any help out there?

larry

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]