Subject: [Tigers] Door window removal

From: "James Pickard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 22:16:28 -0400

I've got one window out, thanks to instructions I was pointed to on
sunbeamalpine.org. Unfortunately, the instructions end there. Any
suggestions on how to remove the glass from the glass channel & camplate,
short of taking a hammer to the old glass? Thanks.

James Pickard

B9473298

Beaufort, SC
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 19:20:06 -0700

If it is still holding, I'd leave it alone.  No reason to change anything.

Just give it a good clean and lube it.

On Oct 20, 2013, at 7:16 PM, James Pickard wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 23:55:01 -0400 (EDT)

If you brought this into our shop: I would grab the 3 inch brick breaker we 
 have ground down so it has a 1/8 flat at the wedge. Lay the assembly on 
the  carpeted cutting table take a hammer and knock the sash channel off of 
the  glass. The easiest way would be to take it to a glass shop in your area 
that is  familiar with doing this but these days glass shops just want to 
slap w/shields  in newer cars. If your putting in a new glass and want to do it 
yourself brake  the glass and pry out the remainder and be sure to mount 
the channel in the  same position as it was on the original glass. The 
original was mounted in the  sash channel with glass setting tape, you could 
possibly reuse the original tape  but after 38-40 years it may be beyond reuse and 
prying it out of the sash  channel will possibly destroy it. So after all 
this and your in your garage and  doing this take the sash channel clean it 
and remove all the rust in it that you  can. Paint it to retard the rust that 
will come, use 1/4 to 1/2 U shaped  strips of the original packing tape 
cleaned up with no broken glass in it. Place  strips at the ends of the sash 
and one or two in the middle. This centers the  channel on the glass. Shoot a 
good dollop of RTV silicone sealent in  between the strips and assemble on 
the new glass. Let it cure and install. I  haven't piped up on this as it has 
been years since I have had one of  these  to install. And you know that 
they say about memory it's the 5th or  7 th to go, I can't remember which. 
Also take out the regulator and lube up all  the pivots and the clutch assembly 
inside the crank where the handle attaches,  we use motorcycle chain lube 
here flood it and let it drain in a trash  can.   HTH'S

In a message dated 10/20/2013 7:24:27 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:34:14 -0400

James
	What is the reason you need to remove the glass from the channel?  I
would leave them alone if possible.

As I have stated it has been too long since I worked on the glass.

I would probably try to soak the glass channel in ATF overnight then use a
small screwdriver to gently pry the glass out.
Use only gentle force to not break the glass - keep soaking in ATF until the
glass moves.

The bigger problem here is the glass setting tape AAAglass mentioned.  I
don't know what is available now.
I purchased a product many years ago that was suppose to be for setting
glass but it was way to thick IMO and sits unused.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of James Pickard
Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2013 10:16 PM
To: 'Tiger List'
Subject: [Tigers] Door window removal

James Pickard

B9473298

Beaufort, SC

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4158 / Virus Database: 3614/6766 - Release Date: 10/20/13
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]