Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fast Back Alpines/Tigers

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 09:50:21 -0700

Does it matter that the fastbacks were not US cars?

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Ok, so how many of the fast back versions of either type were made an
> sold? Anybody know?  Rules for bodies requires that a certain number were
> produced even if  a replica.  A fast back replica body would be dang near
> perfect....if I had data showing how many were made and sold... Just an
> additional thought...
>
> mayf
>
> --
> ______________________________
> drmayf
> Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
> 204.913 mph flying mile
> 210.779 mph exit speed
> ______________________________**_________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/tigers/jay.laifman@**
> gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]>
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Sencindiver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 13:19:06 -0400

Let's see... 3 Le Mans Tigers, 1 Harrington Tiger, ?? Harrington Alpines.

Keep on Tigering!

Jim Sencindiver

B382100451/TAC 448
http://www.tigersunited.com/car_show/sencindiver_j/default.asp
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 14:55:08 -0700

Ok, so I received a quantity produced number for the Harrington cars and 
that number appears to be 384. Sadly this is not sufficient. A minimum 
of 500 must have been produced and sold to the general public.  If  
replica bodies were made then a minimum of 50 must have been produced 
and sold.  Salt flats racing does have it rules, lol....So for now, it 
would appear that the only way to run and Alpine or Tiger body shape is 
to use a real car sold at a dealership at one time or another.  I am 
going to ask about the making of a mold to make and use a fiber glass 
replica body  however, as the rules looks ambiguous to me. Won't know 
until I ask though.

So for now, and until I ask again, I have enough information to be 
completely dangerous to myself. Thanks for all the info supplied by all 
you folks I do appreciate it!

larry

On 10/4/2013 9:45 AM, Larry Mayfield wrote:
> sold? Anybody know?  Rules for bodies requires that a certain number 
> were produced even if  a replica.  A fast back replica body would be 
> dang near perfect....if I had data showing how many were made and 
> sold... Just an additional thought...
>
> mayf

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 18:00:37 -0400

Are you trying to fit into a certain class?

You can run almost anything from a WWII era droptank to a GMC Motorhome.

Michael Shortt

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 5:55 PM, Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]> wrote:

> that number appears to be 384. Sadly this is not sufficient. A minimum of
> 500 must have been produced and sold to the general public.  If  replica
> bodies were made then a minimum of 50 must have been produced and sold.
>  Salt flats racing does have it rules, lol....So for now, it would appear
> that the only way to run and Alpine or Tiger body shape is to use a real
> car sold at a dealership at one time or another.  I am going to ask about
> the making of a mold to make and use a fiber glass replica body  however,
> as the rules looks ambiguous to me. Won't know until I ask though.
>
> completely dangerous to myself. Thanks for all the info supplied by all you
> folks I do appreciate it!
>
> larry
>
>
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**options/tigers/michael@**
> michaelshortt.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]>
>
>
>

-- 

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
www.michaelshortt.com
[email-masked]
912-232-9390

This email is protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy
Act, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you
have received this message in error, then delete it.  Thank you
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 19:25:54 -0700

I've always thought the Harrington cars were a bit odd.  The lines of the back
of the roof was either too bubbly or too abrupt or too droopy.  But there was
ONE I saw that I always thought was "spot on."

Ironically, it was not actually a Harrington, but someone's addition of a roof
to a stock bodied Alpine.  There are pictures of it in the Alpine Horn, the
magazine of the UK Sunbeam Alpine Owner's Club - the 118th issue, October
1998.  I happen to still have the issue.  If anyone wants scanned pictures,
let me know.

I tried to find the owner and find out what he did.  But I was never
successful.  At one point someone suggested it was a roof from another car,
but wouldn't say which one.  For some reason a Datsun/Nissan sticks in my
mind.  I think he also welded a windscreen frame to both, for more rigidity
and less weight.  The lines all work right.  The rear quarter window comes to
a point in the back, like an Aston Martin GT.

Of course, I also really liked the real Le Mans Harrington Alpine, with the
scoop/covered headlights, a la XKE.  Not to be confused with the production
Harrington Le Mans, with the droopy rear end and no fins.

Jay

[email-masked]