Subject: Re: [Tigers] Antifreeze

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 17:20:26 -0400

I use a year around mix of 33% AF ( Peak 100%, undiluted ) 66% Distilled
water and a bottle of Water wetter.

Same mix used by light aircraft and it cools better than 50/50.

Michael Shortt

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 4:13 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I normally prefer just distilled water and Water Wetter for my engine
> coolant during normal driving season. Unfortunately the car has to sit in
> an unheated garage here in Northern Il. during the winter.
>
>
> This year it will have my new 347 motor and a new Griffin aluminum
> radiator in it. I want to put the right antifreeze in it, one that if by
> chance I did take the car out before the spring coolant flush would be good
> for the car. Griffin says to use a non-silicate type antifreeze.
>
>
> Trying to learn more about these things I am getting a headache. I did
> come across the following on the internet. It is in an article from 2005 in
> Motor magazine entitled "Cooling System Service Update".
>
>
> GM, VW/Audi and some European makers use OAT coolants with no silicates or
> phosphates. Japanese companies have been moving to an OAT with phosphates,
> but oppose a key organic acid in GM DexCool. Chrysler Group, Ford U.S.A.
> and BMW use basically the same antifreeze as Mercedes, a low-silicate
> hybrid formula.
>
> The entire article is at http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=938 .
>
>
> Based on the above it would seem I should go with something the Japanese
> use for their cars. I do not have a personal problem with that. But
> apparently their stuff is also expensive and I like to be smart with my
> money. Apparently not all ingredients are listed by all antifreeze makers
> on their containers. After reading the above, I decided to ask the List if
> anyone has plowed this field before me and if so, what brands have they
> turned up that people with a lot of aluminum in their engines cooling
> system should use.
>
>
> TIA, Gene
> _______________________________________________
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
www.michaelshortt.com
[email-masked]
912-232-9390

This email is protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy
Act, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you
have received this message in error, then delete it.  Thank you
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Sandy Ganz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 15:55:02 -0700 (PDT)

If you are looking for the Silicate free organic acid stuff look for Diesel
approved CAT EC-1, I run this stuff in the Power Stroke and it's non-silicate.
I think you can find the green stuff in non-silicate formulas too but you need
to check the container, especially if it says compatible in all cars. Color
doesn't always indicate a specific formula.
 
That being said I have the same
griffin radiator and just used off the shelf pre-diluted green prestone
anti-freeze and was done with it. 
 
People get way to analytical with this
stuff, our old rusty iron blocks will thank for anything besides tap water. 
 
The diesel community is beyond fanatical with Anti-freeze/Coolants for a few
other good reasons but for our SBF motors you can't go too far wrong with any
good quality (silicate or free of silicates) as long as you perform some sort
of sensible maintenance on your cooling system per the coolant specs. 
 
As I
understand it the biggest problem for silicate based is that it drops out of
solution at some point and wears out the pump impellers. Again maintenance
solves that. Just be sure to run anti-freeze if you are in a freezing
environment, as Gene mentioned watter-wetter is not a good thing to help with
winter freezing :)
 
Flush your system if you are going to change to an OAT
style, for that matter good idea to do it at some point in the cars life.
 
Zerex, Shell Rotella, and Final Charge (easy to find) have OAT EC-1 Red style
coolant. I don't know much about DEXCOOL but that may be an alternative too.
 
Sandy

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
To:
[email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 1:13 PM
Subject:
[Tigers] Antifreeze

I normally prefer just distilled water and Water Wetter
for my engine coolant during normal driving season. Unfortunately the car has
to sit in an unheated garage here in Northern Il. during the winter. 

This
year it will have my new 347 motor and a new Griffin aluminum radiator in it.
I want to put the right antifreeze in it, one that if by chance I did take the
car out before the spring coolant flush would be good for the car. Griffin
says to use a non-silicate type antifreeze. 

Trying to learn more about
these things I am getting a headache. I did come across the following on the
internet. It is in an article from 2005 in Motor magazine entitled "Cooling
System Service Update". 

GM, VW/Audi and some European makers use OAT
coolants with no silicates or phosphates. Japanese companies have been moving
to an OAT with phosphates, but oppose a key organic acid in GM DexCool.
Chrysler Group, Ford U.S.A. and BMW use basically the same antifreeze as
Mercedes, a low-silicate hybrid formula. 

The entire article is at
http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=938 . 

Based on the above it
would seem I should go with something the Japanese use for their cars. I do
not have a personal problem with that. But apparently their stuff is also
expensive and I like to be smart with my money. Apparently not all ingredients
are listed by all antifreeze makers on their containers. After reading the
above, I decided to ask the List if anyone has plowed this field before me and
if so, what brands have they turned up that people with a lot of aluminum in
their engines cooling system should use. 

TIA, Gene

[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]