Subject: [Tigers] Restoring Hardtop Rear Windows

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 08:42:50 -0700

When I was going through my dad's stuff in the garage this weekend (he
could never throw anything possibly valuable away - including all those old
Analog SciFi magazines I mentioned).  One of the things I found was the
original rear window from the hardtop.  It's in the box that the new one
came in (kind of like the original Tiger fan that he put in the box for the
Maverick 6 blade, as Gary educated me about).

The window is somewhat yellowed.  I called Rick to see if he wanted it.  He
said he definitely keeps originals around to use to make new ones.

(He also said he is having a hard time with the S1 and 2 ones - and the
last possible vendor broke his last one.  So if anyone has one to give him
at some point, remember he could use one).

Now a days, they have all those kits for restoring the plastic covered
headlights on modern cars that have become scratched and yellowed.  I was
wondering if any of those kits could do the same for the hardtop rear
window.  I know a lot of them come with a orbital sander/polisher.  But, a
collegue at work just told me she had some guy come and redo her VW ones
and never used a machine at all.  I know exactly how bad her lights were -
completely scratched and yellowed.  Now they are clearer than glass.  I
don't know what chemicals he used.  But, either way, another possibility to
explore to save the original window.

Jay
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Tom Parker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 17:15:14 -0400

"Now a days, they have all those kits for restoring the plastic covered
headlights on modern cars that have become scratched and yellowed.  I was
wondering if any of those kits could do the same for the hardtop rear
window."

That would be worth a try, Jay. I don't think it'll hurt; if all Rick wants
is a template he won't care if it's scratched.

Given the expense and condition of the original hardtops on E-Bay I've
considered buying one of the fiberglass tops from Honeybournemouldings in
the U.K.. Does anybody on the list have any experience with them?

Tom
'67 Mark 2

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Jay Laifman <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]