Subject: [Tigers] Travel Info and contacts

From: "jimmc13" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:51:55 -0500

Good Morning:

It looks like I might have a chance to go to the UK (Gloucester) and if I
can get to Conventry, I am thinking about volunteering at the Rootes
archive.  So my questions are:

*	Is Gloucester near enough to Conventry to warrant a couple of day's
involvement?
*	Is the Rootes archive the correct place to go?
*	Do any of you that have visited the Archive have any contact info
that I could use to see if I can help?
*	Additionally, are there any nearby parts stores worth investigating
for old Rootes parts, both Tiger and Alpine?
*	Or is the volunteering at the Museum of Transportation which I
believe is some where else?

Any info would help since my wife is going for training and I am thinking I
might have some to offer, maybe I can expand my job description beyond
aide-de-camp and baggage carrier.

Jim McLaughlin

B382000175
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Tod Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 15:50:30 -0400

Jim:

Coventry is about 50 miles (80 km) north of Gloucester. I would suggest 
that you contact Graham Vickery at STOC (Sunbeam Tigers Owners Club) 
to ask about arrangements to volunteer. He can probably help.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers,

Tod Brown
B382002384LRXFE

[email-masked]

---

From: "Buck Trippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 22:36:21 -0700

Hello Jim,

It's great that you plan to help at the Archive. They need help and they 
always need donations. Many of us have joined there "friends" group to help 
support their work.

Almost exactly a year ago I went to the Rootes Archive in Banbury with 4 
other American Tiger owners as well as Graham Vickery (who happens to be an 
Archive Trustee). We all spent a week working there with James Spencer, 
Archive Secretary.  Banbury is about 25 miles crow flying miles from 
Gloucester. (The Museum of Transportation is in Coventry.)

As you may know, the Archive houses a half million Rootes engineering 
drawings as well as thousands of other documents. About half the collection 
is on microfiche and the other half paper. The Archive has digital scanners 
for both. And using the scanners to make digital duplicates of the drawings 
is key to preserving the information for future generations. We spent a 
little of our time setting up the document scanner we donated
but mostly we went through the files and cleaned up the filing. (In doing so 
we located a trove of "lost" Tiger drawings. It was quite nice to see our 
efforts dramatically rewarded.) While sorting the filing was tedious it 
needed to be done and we left it with things sorted out pretty well. Several 
spent time on original research.

Since our trip Matt Oldham has acquired new software for the scanner and 
it's turning out excellent copies that are much easier to read than the 
originals. It might be a good idea to now copy all the Tiger related 
drawings. (We can discuss this directly and go over the details.)

There's a thread on the CAT Forum detailing out trip.
http://catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=1715&highlight=rootes+archive

The Archive's site is http://tardis.dl.ac.uk/ARCC/subscribe.shtml
Contact Information for James is located there.

good luck,

Buck Trippel

-----Original Message----- 
From: jimmc13
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 7:51 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Travel Info and contacts

Good Morning:

Jim McLaughlin

B382000175

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]