Subject: [Tigers] A few random questions

From: "Jeff Feit" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:22:39 -0400

Hello all,

I've been on and off the Tiger list since 1998. To keep a very long story
short, our car is a MK1A, B9471573. It has been in my wife's family since
1970 (as the second owners) and in our care since 1998. It is unrestored
(although it has been painted) and while it's a little crusty and rough
around the edges it's "all there". original wheels, air cleaner, tools,
manuals, service records, etc. The odometer shows around 85K miles but
considering it's propensity to break speedometer cables it's probably more
like 90-100K. It has had the engine/trans out once for a clutch in 1972 (I
have the pictures to prove it!)

It hasn't been driven much in the last few years due to a move, building a
garage, and an ever increasing collection of fluid leaks. I finally decided
to dig in and go after all of the leaks; my plan is to basically reseal
everything and avoid the "while-your-at-its" turning it into a big
production. I don't want to get involved in a restoration, just keep it
drivable until the day comes that I'm ready to tackle the restoration
project.

Since the rear main needs to be done we've taken the engine and trans out
which was easy enough. Along the way we've found a few things that I have
questions about (and I'm sure there will be more):

1. The exhaust pipes were attached to the manifolds with bolts. One of them
broke while it was being removed but it was easily extracted. Looking at the
manifolds, the holes aren't drilled and tapped all the way through, which
makes me think that it originally had studs. Did the Tigers originally have
studs, and if so does anyone have the dimensions? Are they Mustang
manifolds/studs or something else?

2. When taking the engine out, the flat shields that go between the engine
mount and block fell out along with two washers that look like they were
spacers. It looks like the washers were between the shield and block. Are
these washers supposed to be there? If so, which side of the shield are they
supposed to go on?

3. I remember a while back that a 6-bladed fan was one of the
recommendations to improve cooling. Is this still available somewhere? Since
I can't get the fan off without removing the radiator, now is the time.
Other than blocking off the horn holes are there any other things I should
do while it's out?

4. A while ago the thermostat housing cracked. My fault due to not having
the thermostat lined up all the way. At the time I needed a quick
replacement so I used a cast iron part from a parts store. I'd like to get
an aluminum one back on there. Is this a Mustang part or something unique?

5.The clamps on the steering rack boots are rusted through. Any source for
replacements? 

Thanks,

Jeff Feit

Kennett Square, PA

B9471573
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 14:54:51 -0400 (EDT)

Jeff,
On your #5 issue.  If the clamps are rusted my guess is that  the fluid 
could have leaked from the rack.  I would suggest checking the  rack for fluid 
and possible damage (for lack of fluid) while you have things  apart.  I use 
stainless radiator clamps and they pretty much last a  lifetime if the 
screws are also stainless....not always the case.
Mark L

In a message dated 5/28/2013 1:22:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Hello  all,

broke while it was being removed but it  was easily extracted. Looking at 
the

2. When taking the engine out, the flat shields that go  between the engine
mount and block fell out along with two washers that  look like they were
spacers. It looks like the washers were between the  shield and block. Are
these washers supposed to be there? If so, which side  of the shield are 
they
supposed to go on?

3. I remember a  while back that a 6-bladed fan was one of the
recommendations to improve  cooling. Is this still available somewhere? 
Since
I can't get the fan off  without removing the radiator, now is the time.
Other than blocking off the  horn holes are there any other things I should
do while it's  out?

Thanks,

Jeff  Feit

Kennett Square,  PA

B9471573

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]