Subject: [Tigers] Dales AMC 5 speed conversion

From: Tony Lang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 12:15:03 -0700 (PDT)

Late last night I headed up I-57, on my way to Brown county state park and
this years Shelby Cobra annual meet. About 70 odd miles from home, I had the
feeling or thought the 5 speed had jumped out of gear BUT that may not have
been the case. I down shifted as my rpms where going up but had no gear- to
the side of the road. I go thru the gears and once it moved and killed the
engine. I got out with my brighter than me tiny flashlight to try seeing if I
had a drive shaft- YES, I'm aware I would have known if I had lost a U-joint.
I had no luck seeing anything so back in the car, with it running and in first
at 3k rpm I went to reverse BUT had immediate grinding, as tho the tranny was
turning enough inside that I had grinding- knowing 1st and reverse are on  the
same shaft in the 4 speeds I didn't try using 2nd for the same test- I was
finally in 4th and had a gear. I have 15"Minilites and with the tires and the
gear in the tranny, w/288 gears, I slipped
 the clutch enough to get moving and road the side until I came to a place to
cross and go back south. I jumped over on state rt.37 that runs parallel 57
the last 20 miles or so to my home. The Tiger looks great setting in front of
the house with the top down- ppl walking are all looking BUT Im pretty sad. I
know it time to pull the engine and find a 5 speed man local and get the right
speedo gear in that Dale forgot to change BUT does anyone have any thought,
knowledge etc. what my problem might be. TIA. TtT

Tony Lang (TtT)
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 15:58:10 -0400

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 16:25:40 -0400

Tony
	I only have experience with the Ford Mustang 5 speed.

	If the AMC is similar then the shift rail is internal and the
shifter has 2 bolts that attach it to the shift linkage.  I experienced one
Mustang that lost the lower shifter bolt and it became difficult to find a
gear.  You need Loctite on those bolts.

	There is a plate that holes the shift linkage to the trans.  The
bolts on that plate need to be tight or the plate could lift and the shift
linkage will loose contact with the shift rail.

Again I don't know if any of this applies to the AMC 5 speed.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Tony Lang
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 3:15 PM
To: Beamclub
Subject: [Tigers] Dales AMC 5 speed conversion

Late last night I headed up I-57, on my way to Brown county state park and
this years Shelby Cobra annual meet. About 70 odd miles from home, I had the
feeling or thought the 5 speed had jumped out of gear BUT that may not have
been the case. I down shifted as my rpms where going up but had no gear- to
the side of the road. I go thru the gears and once it moved and killed the
engine. I got out with my brighter than me tiny flashlight to try seeing if
I had a drive shaft- YES, I'm aware I would have known if I had lost a
U-joint. I had no luck seeing anything so back in the car, with it running
and in first at 3k rpm I went to reverse BUT had immediate grinding, as tho
the tranny was turning enough inside that I had grinding- knowing 1st and
reverse are on  the same shaft in the 4 speeds I didn't try using 2nd for
the same test- I was finally in 4th and had a gear. I have 15"Minilites and
with the tires and the gear in the tranny, w/288 gears, I slipped  the
clutch enough to get moving and road the side until I came to a place to
cross and go back south. I jumped over on state rt.37 that runs parallel 57
the last 20 miles or so to my home. The Tiger looks great setting in front
of the house with the top down- ppl walking are all looking BUT Im pretty
sad. I know it time to pull the engine and find a 5 speed man local and get
the right speedo gear in that Dale forgot to change BUT does anyone have any
thought, knowledge etc. what my problem might be. TIA. TtT

Tony Lang (TtT)

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Cullen McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 15:41:26 -0500

Tony, is it an AMC tailshaft conversion on a Borg Warner T5 like what was in
the mustangs? Or was this entire transmission originally from the AMC
application? I haven't kept up very well but I thought that most of the time
it was a late model T5 with the Amc tail shaft swapped on it?

Just curious because I have a little bit of experience with the mustang T5 but
none with the original Amc, And don't know what the differences. I do know you
could get a T5 transmission in a Chevrolet S 10 pick up as well so Borg Warner
T5's made it into a variety of vehicles I believe, And I believe there were
some differences just like in the vintage transmissions. Such as input and
output shaft diameter's, hardened or standard bearing retainers, Steel versus
cast shift forks and other variables.

Cullen

Sent from my iPad

> engine. I got out with my brighter than me tiny flashlight to try seeing if
I
> the last 20 miles or so to my home. The Tiger looks great setting in front
of
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: TtT <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 16:18:47 -0500

It is just an AMC tailshaft. Pretty sure Dale. Bought the granny's from a Ford dealer.He could. Tetitm or sell original parts not used. 
Sent from Huawei Mobile

[email-masked] wrote:

[email-masked]