Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ignition Switch

From: Theo Smit <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 12:34:49 -0600

Hi Jay,
Make sure you use as fine a grit of paper you can (or even go to a 
polishing compound) and get all the abrasive gunk out of the switch 
before you lube it and close it back up. The surface scratches reduce 
the available electrical contact area, and they also provide natural 
places for oxidation to start again. This is why lubricating it with a 
good silicone switch-contact lube is important.

As others have noted, using the switch to activate a 30 or 40 amp rated 
relay will save the switch from overheating and future damage.
Theo

  On 5/18/2013 7:46 AM, Jay Laifman wrote:
> ...  I
> basically put a piece of fine sandpaper in between each of the three contact
> points and rotated the sandpaper back and forth, and rotated the contact to
> each of the three positions to get each one.  This probably makes no sense
> unless you have one open in your hands.  I was thinking of dremel, but none of
> my attachments are small enough to fit in there.
>
> I'm also cleaning and sanding the tabs out the back that the wires attach to.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Tony McNulty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 19:16:15 -0400

Jay:

On electrical contact surfaces like these you should use really fine 
burnishing material -- like crocus cloth.  This is what we used to use on 
high current electrical contacts back in the 60's.  The idea is not to 
"sand", but to"burnish".  You want to polish the surface, not sand it.  Even 
tooth paste (properly cleaned off afterward) is a better burnishing abrasive 
than even the "best" sandpaper -- although the abrasive papers available 
from 3M for polishing chisel and plane blades (look up "scary sharp") would 
be OK for polishing electrical contacts.

Good advise it to use your ignition switch to activate a heavy duty relay to 
pass the high current (40 - 60 Amps) to the load, in this case, the starter 
or its solenoid.

Tony McNulty

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jay Laifman" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2013 9:46 AM
Subject: [Tigers] Ignition Switch

>I pulled apart my ignition switch.  It was pretty easy.  As indicated, just
> pry out two of the points on the can that are pressed in, hold towel to 
> finger
> to stop bleeding from screwdriver slipping out of indentation point and 
> into
> the finger, put switch in vice, lightly clamping around nut, and finish 
> last
> indentation point.
>
> Put in key, press ice pick in hole in side to release lock barrel.
>
> Pull apart.
>
> The switch is much more beefy than I expected.  It has a strong spring and 
> is
> built of large, thick metal for contacts.  I'm actually kind of surprised 
> that
> it has any issue.  But, I've cleaned it up and sanded all the contacts.  I
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]