Subject: Re: [Tigers] Electrical problem - ignition/ballast resistor?

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 21:46:37 -0700

Ok, I've figured out that to test the ballast resistor, you jump it.  I will
try that tomorrow.

Jay

On May 30, 2013, at 9:31 PM, Jay Laifman wrote:

> On my Tiger, I'm having a starting problem.  The new ignition switch did not
fix it.
>
> Here are the symptoms: I turn the key one click, the car gets power, the red
charging light goes on.  I turn one more to power the starter, I get a click
and the power shuts down.  I turn off the key, turn it one click again, but
this time no power.  The charging light does not go on.
>
> When this first happened, the electrical, including the red charging light,
would work after a few moments.  Now it does not go back on until I give 12V
straight to the starter switch.
>
> That is, I hooked up jumper cables to the + on the battery, and put it
directly to the post on the starter solenoid that comes from the ignition
switch.  The starter cranks immediately.  Then the electrical system is
working right again.
>
> Here are some more details: Measuring voltage, I have very little drop
between the battery post, to the fuse box, through the ignition switch and to
the stater solenoid.  12.48 at the battery, 12.40 at the starter solenoid
switch wire.
>
> But, after I try to start the car and the system shuts down, it is about
11.5 all around (except the battery).
>
> The odd thing is that this doesn't happen until I turn the ignition switch
to the starter position.  I can turn it from off, to run, or to accessory over
and over and all is fine.  It's only when I go to the starter position that it
clicks and shuts down.  Is there something other than the starter solenoid
that gets power at that time and might be bad?
>
> I just looked at the wiring diagram.  The only other thing that comes into
play seems to be the ignition resistor.  Could it fail in a way that causes
this?  If so, is this a common part I can get at a local auto parts shop?  Is
there some way to test it?
> Thanks,
> Jay
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 22:14:46 -0700

Jay,
  I recommend this only because I had a similar issue with a different make 
car.  If I jumper-ed the solenoid at the starter (Chevy engine in this case) 
it cranked fine.  I measured the voltage from the ignition switch to the 
solenoid (disconnected) and it was fine.  But connect the wire and I got the 
click, click click.  Frustrated (after try too many things - including 
cleaning the switch like you did) I finally just ran a jumper wire bypassing 
the harness wire from the switch to the solenoid. My problem went away and 
never returned.

You can at least try the jumper wire throughout the circuit to find your 
problem. 10 feet of wire and shielded alligator clips on the ends should do 
it. While I'm sure you would like to retain the stock look of a factory 
harness that will be secondary to getting the car to start (regularly).

Lastly, regarding the ballast resistor; the coil power flows through it 
under normal driving.  At the point of starting (solenoid engaged) the 
resistor is bypassed and the coil gets a full 12 volts.

 At the solenoid there are two large lugs. One is power from the battery. 
The other passed the power through to the starter when the solenoid is 
engaged.  There are also two small lugs at the solenoid.  One provides power 
(from the ignition switch) to pull the plunger to connect the 12v power 
between the two large lugs. The second, smaller, lug "taps" off the starter 
side of the solenoid to momentarily send the 12v to the coil.  As soon as 
the start position on the key is released the power to the starter 
disconnects as well as the momentary 12v that went to the coil.  At that 
point the coil power is coming through the resistor.
Tom

> between
> the battery post, to the fuse box, through the ignition switch and to the
> stater solenoid.  12.48 at the battery, 12.40 at the starter solenoid 
> switch
> wire.
>
> to
> the starter position.  I can turn it from off, to run, or to accessory 
> over

[email-masked]