Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tigers Digest, Vol 5, Issue 147

From: "Clyde McLaughlin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 20:52:33 -0400

Hi,  The ignition switch is avail from Sunbeam Specialties, I think I got
one a couple years ago..A failed switch is a "You Walk" in the some
cases..Suggest after you rpl it that you relay a few of the circuits so that
the switch is not carrying the full electrical load of the fuel pump,
ignition and other accessories.....every british car needs this done,  the
switches are overloaded and can't handle the loads overtime,  Clyde

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:00 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Tigers Digest, Vol 5, Issue 147

Send Tigers mailing list submissions to
	[email-masked]

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/tigers
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	[email-masked]

You can reach the person managing the list at
	[email-masked]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of Tigers digest..."

Today's Topics:

   1. To fix the ignition switch (Jay Laifman)
   2. Re: To fix the ignition switch ( Ron Fraser)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 11 May 2013 22:32:17 -0700
From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked] Den" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Tigers] To fix the ignition switch

I've done the various tests to confirm that it is the ignition switch that
is not allowing enough power to get to the starter solenoid.

I searched the archives and found some comments like "find a way to open it
up and clean the contacts."  But, I never found anyone say that was actually
possible.  I saw others that said when the switch goes it has to be replaced
- with no mention of repair.

I guess I'll pull it off the car tomorrow anyway and see if there is
anything obvious about pulling it open.

I did see posts about putting the key in and using a paperclip or something
in some hole to remove the barrel so that the key can be used in a
replacement switch.  I hope this is still possible.

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 08:53:37 -0400
From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Jay Laifman'" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] To fix the ignition switch

Jay
	There are 3 swaged spots on the aluminum body.  They would have to
be carefully pried away from the back of the switch to get at the contacts.
The aluminum body is keyed to the back of the switch so rotating the
aluminum body if the 3 swaged spots get ruined would take making a new notch
and drilling a new hole.  I have never tried any of this so I don't know if
it would work.

	There is a hole in the aluminum body to allow barrel removal.  Put
the key in and to the OFF position, look into the hole; you will see another
round hole in the black part with brass color in the center, push on the
brass with a paper clip, pull the barrel out of the switch.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jay Laifman
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 1:32 AM
To: [email-masked] Den
Subject: [Tigers] To fix the ignition switch

I've done the various tests to confirm that it is the ignition switch that
is not allowing enough power to get to the starter solenoid.

I searched the archives and found some comments like "find a way to open it
up and clean the contacts."  But, I never found anyone say that was actually
possible.  I saw others that said when the switch goes it has to be replaced
- with no mention of repair.

I guess I'll pull it off the car tomorrow anyway and see if there is
anything obvious about pulling it open.

I did see posts about putting the key in and using a paperclip or something
in some hole to remove the barrel so that the key can be used in a
replacement switch.  I hope this is still possible.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Tigers mailing list
[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/listinfo/tigers

End of Tigers Digest, Vol 5, Issue 147
**************************************
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]