Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brakes

From: John Stithem <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 15:14:27 -0700

With the dual master cylinder set up - how are most people running the brake
lines?
When you run separate lines for front and back brakes -It seems you can't use
the stock set up with the lines going to the splitter valve.
The next question - if you are not using the splitter valve - what are you
doing in place of the pressure activated brake light switch connected to the
splitter?

I am running the stock set up now but thinking of running the dual master
cylinder for a little redundancy in the braking system should a front or rear
line go bad.

Thanks.

John

>
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 18:55:20 -0400
> From: Karl Adey <[email-masked]>
> To: The LIST Post <[email-masked]>
> Subject: [Tigers] Brakes
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Yep, another post about the brake system.  I've read countless pages on the
> Tiger brake system, but still seem stymied.  I'm building a mostly stock
> tiger, with a mild mannered 260 meant to be a weekender.  Can't say I'll
> always stick to the speed limit, but I don't plan on pushing it too hard.
> Stock cast heads, intake, manifolds etc should lead to a front heavy car.
I'm
> bypassing the servo to save myself the headache and am building a manual
brake
> system aimed at reliability and ease of use.I'll be using Tom Hall's 6:1
brake
> pedal with the Wilwood dual MC that he set me up with.  Other than that, it
> will be a stock system.  Rebuilt stock calipers in front, stock drums in
the
> rear.  I'll hope to eventually be running Panasport Minilite 15" rims, 6"
in
> front, 7" in rear (in the vicinity of 195 front and 205 rear).  I have run
> this plan by several knowledgeable Tiger experts, and they all say that with
a
> set of Carbon Kevlar pads this system should do me just fine.However, being
> the perfectionist I am, I wanted to double check and see if i need to over
> build this thing... Which brings us to my question:  I'm very curious about
if
> I need a metering valve, a check valve or a portioning valve in the system
I'm
> building.  I'm tempted to put a combination valve in the system, but I'm
> wondering if it's just too much.  Also, I'm a bit confused about what fluid
to
> use in this system.  Thoughts? Comments, questions and concerns more than
> welcome.Thanks,KarlB9470519 Mk1
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 22:37:39 +0000

Hi John,
On mine I split the front line at the left front crossmember to frame mount
and I have a crossover pipe running to the right in the standard place on the
crossmember. The rear line follows the standard routing but I split it at the
rear bulkhead (just ahead of where the fuel pump mounts on the Mk1/Mk1A) and
then run hard line to just ahead of the rear axle and then have a flex line
going to each caliper (I also have rear disc brakes). A more conventional
setup would be to run a single hard line to the rear, flex line to the axle, a
splitter on the axle tube and then separate lines running to each rear drum.

I have a microswitch actuated off the brake pedal arm to activate the brake
lights. I used a switch I got at Radio Shack but you'd do better with a proper
automotive brake switch that you can get at the autowreckers.

Theo

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the sole use of
the intended recipient(s) and contain information that may be confidential
and/or legally privileged. If you have received this email in error, please
notify the sender by reply email and delete the message. Any disclosure,
copying, distribution or use of this communication (including attachments) by
someone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. Thank you.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]