Subject: [Tigers] Clutch

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 08:40:39 -0700

I went for a fantastic drive this morning.  Man, I love that low end grunt
after a shift.

The clutch worked great.  It is still firm, but nothing remotely like it was
before.  A very knowledgeable Tiger guy told me that he has found that DOT5
"does funny things in the clutch" and no longer uses it there.  My guess is
that in my dad's car, it was exactly what a few have commented on: that the
moisture will not spread in the fluid, but sink to the bottom.  So, the slave
cylinder had a fair amount of water down there.  I decided to go back to LMA.

This is even with the fancy expandable diaphragm he had in there.  But, it
admittedly was ripped.  So, i've ordered a new one.

FWIW, when I took apart the master and slave, the seals were like soft gummy
bears.  Although some posted that going from DOT5 to DOT 3 should be fine, I
guess it was not.

Finally, when using the kit, the rubber is pretty stiff.  Everything went on
fine except the dust cap on the master.  The first time, when I tried to get
it over the plunger and the metal disk, it ripped.  I got another one, put it
in very hot soapy water.  It almost made it, but got a tiny split.  I decided
to leave it as is for now.  One of these days, I'll try again.

Thanks for all the help.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]