Subject: [Tigers] Remote Spin-on Adapter

From: "Will Seay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:51:59 -0500

I have seen a number of Tigers with a remote oil filter adapter that doesn't
require bending and manipulating oil hoses every time an oil filter is changed.
The adapter is mounted at the front of the engine, replacing the OEM assembly.
Hoses connect permanently to the adapter assembly and don't have to be messed
with when a filter is removed or replaced.  The filter just screws into the
adapter (filter inverted from stock orientation) and hose connections don't have
to be disturbed.  Does anyone know who makes an adapter like this or where I can
buy one?

Thanks, Will - 382001570

Will Seay_____________

[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Gary <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:42:32 -0800 (PST)

Will,
 
I have done this setup on several Tigers and have seen it on others. The only
concern I have with this setup is that the filter is may be empty right at
startup.
 
I poke a hole in the top of the filter prior to changing it to make sure it
drains before removal.
 
Hayden block adapter - #291. I found the block adapter by itself
http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2007-hayden-
trans-oil-coolers.pdf
 
Perma Cool filter mount - #1211 (I think)
http://shop.perma-cool.com/Single-Port-Oil-Filter-Mounts_c39.htm
or
Trans-Dapt 1028
http://compare.ebay.com/like/200807026258?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemType
s&var=sbar
 
IIRC I got the oil line at Pep Boys and picked up the brass fittings and
clamps at Home Depot.
 
Unfortunately for the List members the pictures will not come through.
 
Gary

--- On Sat, 12/15/12, Will Seay <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Will Seay <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Tigers] Remote Spin-on Adapter
To: [email-masked]
Date: Saturday, December 15, 2012, 9:51 AM

I have seen a number of Tigers with a remote oil filter adapter that doesn't
require bending and manipulating oil hoses every time an oil filter is
changed.
The adapter is mounted at the front of the engine, replacing the OEM
assembly.
Hoses connect permanently to the adapter assembly and don't have to be messed
with when a filter is removed or replaced.  The filter just screws into the
adapter (filter inverted from stock orientation) and hose connections don't
have
to be disturbed.  Does anyone know who makes an adapter like this or where I
can
buy one?

Thanks, Will - 382001570

Will Seay_____________

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg which had a name of PANA0396.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg which had a name of PANA0398.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg which had a name of PANA0399.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg which had a name of PANA0400.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/pjpeg which had a name of PANA0402.JPG]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:50:44 -0500 (EST)

Yes, will not fit with headers, but many headers allow for the stubby  
filter if you want to consider that route.
M

In a message dated 12/16/2012 4:39:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Tom,

My car has headers so I have ruled out the 90 deg.  block adapter.  Too 
bad, it
would be a nice clean  solution.

Will  Seay_____________
[email-masked]

-----Original  Message-----
From: [email-masked]  [mailto:[email-masked]] 
On
Behalf Of Thomas Witt
Sent:  Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject:  Re: [Tigers] Remote Spin-on Adapter

Fram makes a number of  remote  oil filter adapters. A quick search of 
Google
Images might help you find  what you are looking for.  Others have gone to 
the
block style  adapter. It has roughly a 90 degree configuration that is one 
piece
(no  hoses!).

I see a number of advantages to the 90 degree adapter, some of  which are no
hoses and more room in the tight engine bay. From a heat  perspective the 
filter
is rather thin and likely dissipates heat.  The  original setup puts that 
heat
into the engine bay. The other style adapter  puts the heat more in the 
airstream
of cooler air moving under the  car.  The disadvantages are having to get 
under
the car to change the  filter and possible header/exhaust clearance.

I found an adapter off a  Ford van that not only had the 90 degree bend, 
but the
filter was also  angled outward more into the airstream. Also, because the
adapter rotates  around the center attachment bolt it allowed the filter to
follow the frame  rail angle.  The list won't take pictures, but if I can 
find
the image  I'll send it  separately.

Tom

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Will Seay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 17:08:10 -0500

Gary,

Thanks for the information and the pictures.  I'm pretty sure this is the setup
that I've seen before.  Too bad fellow listers can't see the pictures too.

That Hayden block adapter looks nice, but I'm currently planning to use the
stock block adapter and attach new hoses to it.  I'm currently using a stock
hose set that I have adapted to take new hoses so I know that I can just change
hose length and end fittings to connect to a new adapter bracket and make it
work.

The Trans Dapt filter bracket looks about right for the job.  Apparently Trans
Dapt and almost everybody else uses a cast aluminum body for the bracket.  The
threaded fitting into the filter should be steel though.  I wonder If I should
be worrying about the threaded piece breaking off like Peter McDonald describes.
A cast steel bracket would make for a bullet-proof design if I could find one.
So far, the only bracket that comes close is one by WIX, and that one doesn't
have the hose fittings on the bottom (top for the Tiger).  Maybe somebody knows
who makes a bracket in steel that would work.

-Will

From: Gary [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:43 PM
To: Will Seay
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Remote Spin-on Adapter

Will,

http://www.haydenauto.com/upload/HaydenAuto/Documents/Cat_Hayden/2007-hayden-tra
ns-oil-coolers.pdf

or

Trans-Dapt 1028

http://compare.ebay.com/like/200807026258?_lwgsi=y
<http://compare.ebay.com/like/200807026258?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&
var=sbar> &ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

IIRC I got the oil line at Pep Boys and picked up the brass fittings and clamps
at Home Depot.

Gary

[email-masked]

---

From: "Buck Trippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 20:53:10 -0800

You're correct that the 90 degree adaptors don't work with most headers. 
However they do work with the old JC Whitney style Tiger headers.

We found a pretty good set years ago, spent a bunch on Cermacoating and put 
them on my wife's street Tiger along with a 90 degree adaptor.

On my street Tiger I just run one of the small STP filters that spins 
directly onto the block.

Either setup works fine.

BT

[email-masked]