Subject: [Tigers] "Powered by Ford" medallion restoration.

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:41:54 -0500

I've tried several ways to restore or replace the "260" medallions with no
satisfactory results until yesterday.  I wasn't happy with available new
units because all I found were flat units with the text silkscreened(?)..
They just looked flat and metallic instead of mirror like.  Yesterday I
tried doing the original medallion text recesses with

Spaz Stix #10000 Ultimate Mirror Chrome, Air Brush Paint.  It came from
Amazon and cost $12.49 for a 2 oz bottle.  

For simplicity, the Mirror Chrome paint was brush applied to the text
recesses using two coats.  Much to my delight, the mirror effect was
identical to the original mirror finish.  I didn't take care to protect the
flat surfaces, just liberally applied the Mirror Chrome Paint.  After
completely drying, the normally black flat surface was sanded off using 1200
grit wet/dry paper until completely clear.  Then a coat of Rustoleum Gloss
Black plastic paint was aerosol applied as the backing.  The first medallion
looks very good, almost like brand new.  I'm working on the second medallion
now taking greater care and with more detail and expect it to look like
brand new.  I have no idea how durable this process will be under severe
weather conditions, but the first medallion looks very good right now.  I
can email a photo to anyone interested if you send an email address.  

Does anyone out there have a better idea or suggestion.  Let us know, I'm
sure there are plenty of shabby looking medallions just waiting for
restoration.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]