Subject: Re: [Tigers] Remote Spin-on Adapter

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 10:48:42 -0800

Fram makes a number of  remote oil filter adapters. A quick search of Google 
Images might help you find what you are looking for.  Others have gone to 
the block style adapter. It has roughly a 90 degree configuration that is 
one piece (no hoses!).

I see a number of advantages to the 90 degree adapter, some of which are no 
hoses and more room in the tight engine bay. From a heat perspective the 
filter is rather thin and likely dissipates heat.  The original setup puts 
that heat into the engine bay. The other style adapter puts the heat more in 
the airstream of cooler air moving under the car.  The disadvantages are 
having to get under the car to change the filter and possible header/exhaust 
clearance.

I found an adapter off a Ford van that not only had the 90 degree bend, but 
the filter was also angled outward more into the airstream. Also, because 
the adapter rotates around the center attachment bolt it allowed the filter 
to follow the frame rail angle.  The list won't take pictures, but if I can 
find the image I'll send it separately.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Will Seay" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2012 9:51 AM
Subject: [Tigers] Remote Spin-on Adapter

>I have seen a number of Tigers with a remote oil filter adapter that 
>doesn't
> require bending and manipulating oil hoses every time an oil filter is 
> changed.
> The adapter is mounted at the front of the engine, replacing the OEM 
> assembly.
> Hoses connect permanently to the adapter assembly and don't have to be 
> messed
> with when a filter is removed or replaced.  The filter just screws into 
> the
> adapter (filter inverted from stock orientation) and hose connections 
> don't have
> to be disturbed.  Does anyone know who makes an adapter like this or where 
> I can
> buy one?
>
>
>
> Thanks, Will - 382001570
>
>
>
> Will Seay_____________
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2012 11:00:59 -0800

A correction to my original post. The adapter/filter do not follow the line 
of the frame rail. It does fit neatly between the crossmember and the motor 
mount.  13 years on jackstand and a long time since I've looked fogged my 
memory.

Tom

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2012 10:48 AM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Remote Spin-on Adapter

> Fram makes a number of  remote oil filter adapters. A quick search of 
> Google Images might help you find what you are looking for.  Others have 
> gone to the block style adapter. It has roughly a 90 degree configuration 
> that is one piece (no hoses!).
>
> I see a number of advantages to the 90 degree adapter, some of which are 
> no hoses and more room in the tight engine bay. From a heat perspective 
> the filter is rather thin and likely dissipates heat.  The original setup 
> puts that heat into the engine bay. The other style adapter puts the heat 
> more in the airstream of cooler air moving under the car.  The 
> disadvantages are having to get under the car to change the filter and 
> possible header/exhaust clearance.
>
> I found an adapter off a Ford van that not only had the 90 degree bend, 
> but the filter was also angled outward more into the airstream. Also, 
> because the adapter rotates around the center attachment bolt it allowed 
> the filter to follow the frame rail angle.  The list won't take pictures, 
> but if I can find the image I'll send it separately.
>
> Tom
>
>
>> to be disturbed.  Does anyone know who makes an adapter like this or 
>> where I can
>> buy one?
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks, Will - 382001570
>>
>>
>>
>> Will Seay_____________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Will Seay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 16:39:01 -0500

Tom,

My car has headers so I have ruled out the 90 deg. block adapter.  Too bad, it
would be a nice clean solution.

Will Seay_____________
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Thomas Witt
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2012 1:49 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Remote Spin-on Adapter

Fram makes a number of  remote oil filter adapters. A quick search of Google
Images might help you find what you are looking for.  Others have gone to the
block style adapter. It has roughly a 90 degree configuration that is one piece
(no hoses!).

I see a number of advantages to the 90 degree adapter, some of which are no
hoses and more room in the tight engine bay. From a heat perspective the filter
is rather thin and likely dissipates heat.  The original setup puts that heat
into the engine bay. The other style adapter puts the heat more in the airstream
of cooler air moving under the car.  The disadvantages are having to get under
the car to change the filter and possible header/exhaust clearance.

I found an adapter off a Ford van that not only had the 90 degree bend, but the
filter was also angled outward more into the airstream. Also, because the
adapter rotates around the center attachment bolt it allowed the filter to
follow the frame rail angle.  The list won't take pictures, but if I can find
the image I'll send it separately.

Tom

[email-masked]