Subject: [Tigers] Removing frozen pistons

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:09:04 -0500

I am disassembling a 289 but have two pistons that I can't get to slide out.
I thought my fellow Tiger experts might give a few suggestions on the best
way to "nudge" them loose.

Here's what I've done so far.  I had a few others that didn't want to move
so I sprayed PB Blaster on top of all piston edges and let sit.  Then the
next day I flipped the engine over and sprayed PB Blaster between all
cylinder walls and piston skirts and let sit for a day.  On third day, with
connecting rod caps off, I used a heavy screwdriver and hammer to tap the
connecting rod at the cap mating surface to ease the piston out.  I took
great care to protect the crank surfaces from damage.  This worked well but
when slipping the caps back onto connecting rods after removal, I found that
one cap wouldn't slip back onto the connecting rod.  Hopefully just a bent
bolt but I want to make sure that the rods don't get messed up.  I'm still
working on the front balancer bolt with PB Blaster and my impact wrench for
removal.  Any suggestions for the two pistons still not moving?
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 05:00:04 -0800 (PST)

The technique i  use to remove stuck pistons is Waxoyl diluted with white
spirits  as penetrate lubricant  followed by a pneumatic cutting tool
impacting a  nylon block shield. This of course after removal of crankshaft. 
block on bench.    Gary Moore B9472283 tac311

--- On Thu, 12/20/12, Smit, Theo <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Smit, Theo <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Removing frozen pistons
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]"
<[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, December 20, 2012, 3:34 AM

Hi John,
You shouldn't go banging on the rods with a screwdriver... that will mark up
the surface of the rod, and there is pretty much no place on a connecting rod
where that is okay. On the one that didn't go back together, if you didn't
hit
the cap bolt and it came apart without problems, then you've almost certainly
bent the rod.

The only way that it's even remotely safe to hit the rods to try and get the
pistons out, is to use a block of wood or maybe a brass drift, and hit it on
the bearing surface (leave the old bearing in, you're replacing that anyway)
directly in line with the beam of the rod. This would probably require
removal
of the crank in the first place.

As was suggested, ATF and acetone is a powerful rust penetrant. When you do
get everything all apart, send your rods to the machine shop and have them
all
checked for straightness and squareness and then resized on the big end.

Years ago I had to remove frozen pistons from a block... it took a lot of
penetrating oil and other lubricants, plus some pounding back and forth
(going
down first is likely more effective at getting things unstuck - then you can
try to budge them out as a second step). I don't think I reused any of the
reciprocating parts afterwards. If you do whack the pistons to the bottom of
the bore, you can then go into the bore with a glaze breaker hone and clean
out the worst of the rust before trying to move the pistons outward.

Good luck,
Theo

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tigers-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
> Sent: December 19, 2012 6:09 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Tigers] Removing frozen pistons
>

________________________________

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Thank you for your cooperation.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]