Subject: Re: [Tigers] "Powered by Ford" medallion restoration.

From: "Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 16:50:08 -0600

John/Listers;

I have been researching the issue of restoring the motif badges for
Tigers/Alpines.  The original motif badges were chromed using a flash chrome
process that is still used by some chrome platers at this time.  After the
flash chrome is complete, the backing is covered with gloss black enamel.
One thing not done is to coat the back of the motif badge with the gray
silver over coating to protect the backing and the car.  My search efforts
resulted in using the following restorer:

Instrument Specialties, Inc.

65 Foliage Drive

N. Kingstown, RI 02852

401.267.0055

http://www.instrument-specialties.com/

I had 4 motif badges restored, 3 "Sunbeam 260" for my car and one "Powered
by Ford 260" to see how it would come out.  It took just over seven months
to complete.  The 3 Sunbeam motifs look great and the one Powered look
pretty good.  The process was expensive.  The motifs need to have the deep
cut lettering in order for flash chrome to work according to the personnel
that did the work.  I also sent some repopped motifs, they would not flash
chrome.  Two last thoughts, I still need to provide the final back coat as
this was not done and may not need to be done AND flash chroming 4 motifs
cost $390.00 and took some time.  My Tiger restorer told me they look like
new as seen in the BON.  Let me know off line if you want pictures, I can
e-mail separately from the list.

Jim McLaughlin

B382000175

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 7:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] "Powered by Ford" medallion restoration.

I've tried several ways to restore or replace the "260" medallions with no

satisfactory results until yesterday.  I wasn't happy with available new

units because all I found were flat units with the text silkscreened(?)..

They just looked flat and metallic instead of mirror like.  Yesterday I

tried doing the original medallion text recesses with

Spaz Stix #10000 Ultimate Mirror Chrome, Air Brush Paint.  It came from

Amazon and cost $12.49 for a 2 oz bottle.  

For simplicity, the Mirror Chrome paint was brush applied to the text

recesses using two coats.  Much to my delight, the mirror effect was

identical to the original mirror finish.  I didn't take care to protect the

flat surfaces, just liberally applied the Mirror Chrome Paint.  After

completely drying, the normally black flat surface was sanded off using 1200

grit wet/dry paper until completely clear.  Then a coat of Rustoleum Gloss

Black plastic paint was aerosol applied as the backing.  The first medallion

looks very good, almost like brand new.  I'm working on the second medallion

now taking greater care and with more detail and expect it to look like

brand new.  I have no idea how durable this process will be under severe

weather conditions, but the first medallion looks very good right now.  I

can email a photo to anyone interested if you send an email address.  

Does anyone out there have a better idea or suggestion.  Let us know, I'm

sure there are plenty of shabby looking medallions just waiting for

restoration.

_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 23:05:08 +0000

I was curious so I googled 'flash chrome plastic plating' and these guys came
up.
http://muellercorp.com/restoration.php

Interestingly, they are allied with Instrument Specialties.

Happy Holidays,
Theo

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:tigers-
> [email-masked]] On Behalf Of Jim
> Sent: December 20, 2012 3:50 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Tigers] "Powered by Ford" medallion restoration.
>
> John/Listers;
>
>
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>

________________________________

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Thank you for your cooperation.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]