Subject: [Tigers] Timing Chain Gear Eccentric Question Replies

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 20:08:01 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks to all for your the responses. 

Actually, I did put on a double roller chain a couple of years ago. At the time I left off the eccentric, but there has always been that nagging question if I did the right thing or not. 

I also just want to highlight the point Mayf made about making sure without the eccentric on, there is a wide washer in its place to hold the locator pin in place. 

Also if one goes with the double roller chain, the sprocket is thicker than the OEM single row sprocket. Adding a big washer to keep the pin in and a lock washer to keep everything together made my original bolt too short. Measure everything carefully. As I remember one of the lengths I tried seemed to be just right, but was really bottoming out in the cam end. As I recall you want at least 4 full turns of the bolt and not have it bottom out. 

Gene 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 15:49:36 -0500

Gene 
	The depth of the bolt hole on a 289 cam I have laying about is 1.5"
deep and it appears to be threaded for most of that depth.  "How to build a
small block Ford" indicates that the bolt is 3/8-24 x 1.5" long.   The fuel
pump eccentric is not really needed but you need to be aware the original
bolt could bottom out, although the big heavy washer for that bolt should
prevent that.  Always a good idea to check before buttoning up the timing
cover especially when changing components.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 3:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Timing Chain Gear Eccentric Question Replies

Actually, I did put on a double roller chain a couple of years ago. At the
time I left off the eccentric, but there has always been that nagging
question if I did the right thing or not. 

I also just want to highlight the point Mayf made about making sure without
the eccentric on, there is a wide washer in its place to hold the locator
pin in place. 

Also if one goes with the double roller chain, the sprocket is thicker than
the OEM single row sprocket. Adding a big washer to keep the pin in and a
lock washer to keep everything together made my original bolt too short.
Measure everything carefully. As I remember one of the lengths I tried
seemed to be just right, but was really bottoming out in the cam end. As I
recall you want at least 4 full turns of the bolt and not have it bottom
out. 

Gene 

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2793 / Virus Database: 2629/5907 - Release Date: 11/20/12
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 21:04:51 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks Ron, 

Good specific dimensions and advice to share. In my post, I just was also trying to alert anyone going to a double row sprocket that they would need to use a longer bolt and things to keep in mind as they pick one. Unfortunately, I did not write the size down when I made the change. Since then I have been trying to keep a log book! 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked], [email-masked] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:49:36 PM 
Subject: RE: [Tigers] Timing Chain Gear Eccentric Question Replies 

Gene 

Ron Fraser 

-----Original Message----- 

Gene 

[email-masked] 

----- 

[email-masked]