Subject: [Tigers] 67 MKII timing chain/gear question

From: david gilmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:48:20 -0800 (PST)

My 67 MKII has around 85,000 miles on the original 289 engine which has never
been opened up according to the previous 3 owners.  Car runs great with no
issues.  My concern and perhaps the concern of other owners is, should I
replace the the timing chain/gears as routine maintenance?  A friend with lots
of 289 engine experience said the engine is likely of the "non-interference"
type and not to do a chain/gear change since even if the fiber cam gear (or
possibly steel gear) breaks no engine damage would occur.    (If it works
don't mess with it basically).  I would prefer not to change anything if it is
not required.  I think some of these engines had fiber gears and others had
steel. I would welcome the educated suggestions of you guys obviously.  Can
anyone tell me if my engine has fiber or steel timing gear from the info
listed below?   Should I mess with it or just leave it alone?  I probably
drive less than a thousand gentle miles
 a year. Thanks for the forum and thanks for the input!
 
engine info:block (under starter) 6029, and under that 0 or a G and 3-AF6015E,
build date stamped by water pump on block is 6C31C. 

Thank you,
Dave Gilmore
Leawood, Ks
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 23:03:09 -0500

Dave
	Block casting number should read C5AE-6015E - 298 block; 6029
probably 6C29 is the casting date - March 29 1966.
6C31C is the assembly date - March 31 1966, the C is most likely the
inspector's mark.

	True, if the cam gear fails the engine will just shut off with no
harm done to a stock engine.   The cam gear in all Mk II engines is a nylon
covered aluminum gear.  The nylon will crack, chip then fail at some point.
You might be able to look at the cam gear through the fuel pump block plate
area on the timing cover with a fiber optics scope.

	I would change out the timing set to ensure trouble free driving in
the future.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of david gilmore
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:48 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] 67 MKII timing chain/gear question

My 67 MKII has around 85,000 miles on the original 289 engine which has
never been opened up according to the previous 3 owners.  Car runs great
with no issues.  My concern and perhaps the concern of other owners is,
should I replace the the timing chain/gears as routine maintenance?  A
friend with lots of 289 engine experience said the engine is likely of the
"non-interference" type and not to do a chain/gear change since even if the
fiber cam gear (or
possibly steel gear) breaks no engine damage would occur.    (If it works
don't mess with it basically).  I would prefer not to change anything if it
is not required.  I think some of these engines had fiber gears and others
had steel. I would welcome the educated suggestions of you guys obviously.
Can anyone tell me if my engine has fiber or steel timing gear from the info
listed below?   Should I mess with it or just leave it alone?  I probably
drive less than a thousand gentle miles
 a year. Thanks for the forum and thanks for the input!

engine info:block (under starter) 6029, and under that 0 or a G and
3-AF6015E, build date stamped by water pump on block is 6C31C.

Thank you,
Dave Gilmore
Leawood, Ks

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2793 / Virus Database: 2629/5907 - Release Date: 11/20/12
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 21:18:32 -0800

I'd recommend a roller chain.  It is not much more and has the advantage of 
retaining the timing relationships longer. Many come with advance/retard 
keyways.  If you would find that an advantage you have that option. Not that 
I've seen it happen, but a broke or loose chain has the potential to 
internally damage the cover.

Tom 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 07:06:09 +0000 (UTC)

Tom, do you or any other "Lister"', know if the unused mechanical fuel pump eccentric on the end of the cam at the upper timing gear is really needed? 

If you put in a double row timing chain, as I recall there is not room to also put on that eccentric without cutting it down a bit. Since the original motors came with it installed, I have always wondered if the cams may be somehow rotationally balanced with the expectation that eccentric is on the end of the cam. If so, it would seem a good idea to keep as much of an eccentric on the cam end as possible. 

Just wondering if anyone knows how important is that eccentric. Maybe like the human appendix?! 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]> 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:18:32 PM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 67 MKII timing chain/gear question 

Tom 

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Scott Hutchinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:34:37 +0000

No need for the eccentric. The timing chain will probably skip before it
breaks.  If it does you can get home by moving the plug wires on the
distributor over one.

IMHO don't rip it open if you are happy w/it. If you do rip it open replace
w/a double roller.

Scott Hutchinson
Pilot, NetJets Aviation

Mobile 843.290.2805
*** *******
This message contains information which may be confidential and
privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive for the
addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone the message or any
information contained in the message. If you have received the message in
error,  please advise the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]