Subject: [Tigers] original dip stick dimensions

From: "Bradley Parlee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 10:46:30 -0500

My car is a stock Tiger with 260 engine.  I have several dipsticks that look
original to my series 1 tiger but when I change the oil  those dip sticks
show I have over filled the engine if I try to get the proscribed 5 liters
in.

I know there is variability in the refill - how much was left how clear the
remote lines were etc.

Also, I know that if the car has just been run that will account for about a
= inch on the stick due to oil being up in the engine and remote filter.

..I assume the stick is designed to be checked just after the engine has be
run?

I need the correct distance to the full mark from the bottom inside the cap.
Mine is 22 =

Would also help to know the correct length of the tube.  Mine is 14 7/8
from the top of the tube straightish to the timing chain cover.

Bradley Parlee
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:16:49 -0500 (EST)

I thought  the prescribed amount was  5 quarts and not  5 liters.  Could 
that be the problem?
M

In a message dated 11/15/2012 6:51:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

My car  is a stock Tiger with 260 engine.  I have several dipsticks that  
look
original to my series 1 tiger but when I change the oil  those  dip sticks
show I have over filled the engine if I try to get the  proscribed 5 liters
in.

Also, I know  that if the car has just been run that will account for about 
a
= inch on  the stick due to oil being up in the engine and remote filter.

..I  assume the stick is designed to be checked just after the engine has  
be
run?

I need the correct distance to the full mark from  the bottom inside the 
cap.
Mine is 22 =

Bradley  Parlee

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 19:38:02 -0500

A quick look in the Shop Manual - 4.83 liters of oil.

The problem is we do not always know if the tube and dip stick are original
parts.  The original parts were supplied by the Industrial Group so that
means they may not be stock Ford parts; they are probably custom made parts
the Rootes Order.

I found an old email from David Franchi that may help.

The original dip stick & tube measurements are:

Stick - 24 7/16" from the tip to the inside top of the "bell" cover/dust
guard.
Oil "add" mark 1 1/8" from tip, oil "full" mark 2" from tip.
--
Tube - 15 15/16" overall. 14 3/4" from the top of the "stop/seating ring"
(were it goes into the timing gear cover) to the top of the tube. 7 5/16"
from the top of the tube to the center of the "mounting wing".
--
With the stick installed in the tube, the tip of the stick protrudes 9 1/2"
out of the end of the tube. (measured from the tip of the stick to the
bottom of the tube "stop/seating ring")
David Franchi

	I say - fill the engine with 4 Qts or 4L, which ever units your most
comfortable using, run the engine, mark this oil level as the low oil point.
Add 1 Qt or 1L, your choice, mark this level for full.  This way it does not
matter what combination of tube or dip stick you have on the engine.  5 Qts
= 4.73L; I'm more comfortable with Qts.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2012 7:17 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] original dip stick dimensions

Bradley  Parlee

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2793 / Virus Database: 2629/5896 - Release Date: 11/15/12
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]