Subject: [Tigers] TAC Sticker?

From: Curt Bowland <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 18:59:25 -0600 FILETIME=[CD1E8820:01CDBAF0]

I am a bit amazed that people have not thought about the possibility that this
person wanted to "advertise" the fact his car had been TAC'd in a bit of a
more individual or visible way. And yes, the location of the 'real' sticker is
a bit of a PITA to view......at least mine is. This said, why do so many have
their shorts in a knot for what would appear to be the obvious. Yes, he could
have taken a picture of the sticker and put it under his winshield
wiper............I think the sticker looks a lot better IMHO.

Curt in Chicago
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 23:21:42 -0500 (EST)

I don't think the narrow back and forth on this mailing list is in any  way 
a proxy for the Tiger community in the "real world"..but, at least this  
list does provide the occasional item of interest, so I keep  lurking...and 
deleting the rest ;-)
 
Mike Wood

In a message dated 11/4/2012 7:56:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

Hi  Theo.

Well, I'm sure perspectives vary. My impression from watching the  
commentary
for a few years now is that most owners are striving for  originality as 
close
as possible. But my basis for comparison is poor  because my other car
interests are ones that are very rarely seen restored  to original 
condition.

But like I said, it's just an impression. Not  meant to be rude. Just got on
the classic bronco forum, or Pantera form, or  it could kit car forum, etc, 
I
don't see as many discussions where somebody  else's build is so..... picked
apart, at least not to the extent of  questioning the owners intent... "Why
would they do this".. Do people need  a reason to put a plaque on the cowl?

This discussion about the plaque  on the cowl of this red car was just
something I never hear on those other  discussion boards.

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 4, 2012, at  9:11 PM, "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi  Cullen -
> Really? I find that surprising. To be sure, there are members  on this
mailing
> list that will quickly remind everyone that  such-and-such a detail is not
> stock or not necessarily a desirable  feature. However, you'll mostly see
that
> in response to eBay or  live-auction listings where a given car is 
described
> with maybe a bit  too much hyperbole.
>
> At the various Sunbeam and other  classic-car events I've attended, 
modified
or
> personalized Tigers  far outnumber the showroom restorations, and from 
what
I
> can tell  most people appreciate the efforts put forth by the owners,
> regardless  of the direction that particular car was taken. I can assure 
you
> that  most everything I've done on my Tiger was done with deliberate 
intent,
>  and to a  standard that represented the best of my ability,  equipment,
time,
> and finances at the time I did it. Nobody else has  to like it... it's my
car.
>
> I've been looking into electric  car conversions lately. The Tiger would 
be
a
> pretty nasty thing  with a siamesed 9" motor setup... since I don't drive 
it
in
> winter,  the low-temperature issues with batteries are not so much an  
issue.
I
> could even use the original air cleaner assembly for the  motor cooling 
air
> intake.
>
> Cheers,
>  Theo
>
>
>
>
>  ________________________________
>
> This e-mail and any  attachments may contain confidential material for the
sole
> use of  the intended recipient. If you are not the intended  recipient,
please
> be aware that any disclosure, copying,  distribution or use of this e-mail
or
> any attachment is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please contact the sender  and delete all copies.
>
> Thank you for your cooperation.
> Donate:  http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>  Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 10:24:17 -0500 (EST)

I think the main reason a list like this exists is to educate owners (or  
caretakers, if you must) about the cars and their individual idiosyncracies  
(sp?) and foibles. Many of the items pointed out on auction listed cars are  
obvious to most of us, but new to those who just purchased a Tiger or who 
are  thinking about one and want to be informed when they make an offer.
 
I owned (or took care of, if you must) a MKII new off the showroom  floor 
in 1967 with only a radio as an option. I learned about traction bars, 4  bbl 
carbs and manifolds and Hurst shifters from magazine articles and other  
Ford 289 owners I knew, as the internet wasn't even a dream then.
 
I now own (or take care of, if you must) a MKI and a MKIA. I have learned  
so much from the list since its inception that I could not have learned on 
my  own, no matter how many books or magazines I read. I am better educated 
and my  cars are better off for the information provided by the list.
 
My point is that no matter what someone does to their car, they have the  
right to do it; if you don't like it that's your right and you can choose to  
ignore the owner and the car.
 
I enjoy my cars for what they are -- pieces of automotive history that I  
maintain to the best of my abilities. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. Are 
they  fun and enjoyable? Absolutely yes.
 
But they are my cars to do with as I see fit. And constructive criticism is 
always  welcome.
 
Fred Baum
9470768
382002353

[email-masked]

---

From: Tod Brown <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2012 11:17:29 -0500

Hi Everyone:

I am one who has been very happy to change things on my Tiger if I think 
that it improves the car, either functionally or aesthetically, although 
I recognize that there are those who want everything to be exactly 
original.  As someone said, "it's my car". At the same time, I have 
noticed that original cars seem to bring higher prices at auction, so 
maybe there is a lesson there.  But one thing we should keep in mind, I 
think, that explains a lot of the concern about originality among our 
group is that there are fake Tigers (Algers) out there, which is not the 
case for a lot of other makes.  It is too easy to convert an Alpine into 
a Tiger and that, of course, debases all our real Tigers.  I am glad 
there are nitpickers out there for it makes it harder to fake a Tiger 
and I am also grateful for the guys who take the time to put the TAC 
stickers on our cars, even if they have occasionally missed one or two.

Cheers,

Tod
B382002384LRXFE
TAC 0864

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 11:38:32 -0500

Michael
	Welcome to the world of Sunbeam and the Tigers List.  We are an
eclectic group stretching around the globe.

  	Personally I too believe that it's your car make it the way that
makes you happy and generally we all share that position.   I happen to be
one who likes the original side point of view but I also have no problem
reveling at modifications done by others; that is how we keep this Marque
alive and we should all welcome that.  We all need to be making our cars
more reliable and safer to drive.

	Basically we welcome all new comers and as you meet more owners you
will find we are an enjoyable group.   We have Tigers in this group that
range from stock original to full out race cars, drag cars and much in
between, we welcome them all.

	We do however have a bit of a hair trigger and sometimes over react
with too little evidence when even the hint of fraud arises.  There are
ALGERs out there and not that we hate them, most are excellent cars.  We
just hate the misrepresentation and deception.   The TAC program of STOA can
settle any questions in that respect.

	If you think we seem bad; try some of the Corvette clubs.  I have
heard some good stories about how picky they can be but any group can be
like that.

	I just read a story in Hot Rod Magazine about a lady selling '32
Ford steel body parts and she nearly got hate replies that she could not
possibly have what she was advertising, she gave up trying to sell it.  She
advertised a Datsun 240Z engine for sale instead.  The gentleman who came to
see the 240Z engine saw the '32 body parts and thought it was something
special.  The '32 body parts were the remains of a famous show car,
Sylvester II.  The full story is in the Dec 2012 issue.

Welcome again, we are here to help but we do get temperamental now and
again.

I hope your search for a Tiger goes well.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 8:10 AM
To: J D Johnson
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] TAC Sticker?

To offer an outside perspective and since I don't know who the plsyers are,
this IMHO. I'm here to learn about Tigers because I'm shopping for one. I
own a Pantera and 5 other collectable cars, the key part of that is "I OWN".
These ae MY cars and if you don't like whaf I've done to them, I don't care.
Some of you come across worse than the mean little old ladies in Mayberry
who made Aunt Bea cry...shame on you. Do what you want with your car, I saw
a beautiful Tiger yesterday at the HHI concours, looked perfect in every
way, nice owner who was willing to share and discuss his restoration efforts
with photos. I'd be proud to own it, then I'd change it to suit my own
desires. Better intake and carb, nicer and more breathable aircleaner
assembly And add an MSD ignition system. ( and know that these original
parts would be boxed and saved, for I understand that I am merely a
caretaker of the car ). Be thankful that anybody is buying, maintaining and
restoring these cars and keeping them relevant. Celebrate your shared
passions and stop being judgemental. There is room for everybody. The market
will always decide values and if you want to make them really valuable, just
start buying and crushing them, when you get down to 6 or so, like a Cobra
Daytona or 39 like a Ferrari GTO,  then you can all count your money and
cogratulate yourself that you now own a car that is too valuable to actually
drive.

Michael

[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 09:29:58 -0800

Just pulled up the Hot Rod article.  Wow!!!

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1212_1932_ford_roadster_sylvester_iii_rebuilt/

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Ron Fraser <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]