Subject: Re: [Tigers] Conservative PDX

From: steve wick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 12:08:51 -0700

I left Portland in '91, and remember hanging out at Aldridge's in SE Portland,
among other places. West Coast Classic Cougar used to be in NW, in the
Montgomery Park area. You're right about conservative tastes in cars, at least
back then. Concours restorations were the only way to go and you'd see lots of
neat old iron driving around. I talked to a Tiger owner in a Fred Meyer
parking lot for a while one day in the early 80's. It seemed there was
something automotive going on all the time. My '72 Mach 1 was featured on a
local TV show, "Faces and Places" IIRC, that was visiting the first GI
Joes/Stroh's Beer Grand Prix race held at PIR. Politically, it's pretty left
leaning. Gone are the days when Weinhards beer would put commercials on TV
showing "Schludmiller Beer" (Schlitz/Bud/Miller) truckers trying to sneak beer
in to Oregon from California and being stopped by border guards that said
"Well now, where you going with that there beer?" or the governor put up signs
at the border saying "Welcome to Oregon. Now go home".  Steve
 > From: [email-masked]
> To: [email-masked]
> CC: [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 12:19:54 -0400
> Subject: Conservative PDX
>
>
> Steve,
>
> Forgetting, temporarily, that we all are enjoying? the highly
politically-charged
> season right now, I meant 'conservative' as a characteristic of the
automotive
> tastes I remember while living there 25 years ago. I wasn't thinking
'red,blue,
> purple' state. It's very possible that car tastes, as well as politics,
have
> broadened there since then.
>
> I should have known better, but for some reason I didn't expect the chrome
wagon
> wheel flu to have reached there, call me naive.
>
> I thought, then, that the local car-buying public tastes seemed
conservative,
> and that they tended to hang onto cars longer. Maybe, that's changed.
>
> I do remember a small contingent of boutique automotive businesses that
were
> a surprise: John's Used Auto Parts, a foreign auto wrecking concern housed
in
> a four-story downtown building, a NW Portland dismantling yard specializing
> in Ford Falcon parts, Burwells Ford Specialty - a classic Mustang parts and
> Shelby Cobra restoration shop in NE, Oregon Classic Cars - a certified
traffic
> distraction in nearby Beaverton, the huge blue neon 'Volvo' sign that you
can't
> miss as part of the SW downtown skyline(it tops the 4-5 story Jim Fisher
Volvo
> building), and Monte Shelton's Alfa-Romeo, Avanti, Jaguar dealership where
I
> saw the first of two Tigers, only five blocks apart, in a two hour period -
> the second was Richard Codanti's Med Blue car parked at the curb near the
Galleria
> downtown.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: J D Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2012 12:56:49 -0700

You have to love selective memory.  Admittedly there's a diminished 
old-timers contribution to the list, but recollecting Portland, 
Oregon and not mentioning the infamous Charles Heitz and his All 
Foreign Auto Rebuilding & Parts, Inc. seems a total perversion of 
history.  To put it bluntly, today's "scammers" have nothing on 
Charlie.  His name still comes up whenever the question of marque 
purity is discussed.

JD

At 09:19 AM 10/27/2012, rande and srwick wrote:
>...snip,,I do remember a small contingent of boutique automotive 
>businesses that were
>a surprise: John's Used Auto Parts...snip..

>>...snip,,,I left Portland in '91, and remember hanging out at 
>>Aldridge's in SE Portland,
>among other places. West Coast Classic Cougar used to be in NW...snip..

[email-masked]