Subject: [Tigers] Brake Mystery

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 19:28:29 -0400

OK, guys, troubleshooting time.  The problem:  Brakes pull sharply to the left
on application.  The pull is continuous, not transient on application.

Background:   All seemed fine last fall when I put it away.   I rebuilt the
calipers, slave and master last summer.  The right caliper pistons moved
freely, and grabbed the disk when the pedal was pressed.  The right bled OK.

Since the booster was going out for a rebuild, I replaced all three flex hoses
while I was waiting.  I finally got it all back together and bled it this
afternoon, then went for a drive.  Booster ok, no leaks, but the same pull to
the left was still there.  I pulled the ebrake, and it stayed straight, so
itbs not the rear, and I can feel it in the steering anyway.

So, any ideas?  What could happen over the winter that could cause something
like this?

Stu
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 21:24:28 -0400

Stu
	You rebuilt the system and now there is probably contamination or
air in the line somewhere.

The left caliper is doing all the braking.  It may have some contamination
grabbing the caliper pistons - check to make sure the left caliper is
releasing OK.  Bled it to see if any contamination comes out.

The right caliper is not getting the same force as the left.   Air in the
line can cause this - bled it some more.

Check to make sure the brake pads are floating in position, not cocked or
hung up at the edges.  I have had to file the edge down on a few pads to
make them fit correctly.

I don't think it is the case here but if the rear brakes are not adjusted
correct; they can cause this problem too.  Pull the park brake handle one
click at a time to see if the rear wheels grab and lock at the same time.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Stu Brennan
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2012 7:28 PM
To: Tiger Net
Subject: [Tigers] Brake Mystery

OK, guys, troubleshooting time.  The problem:  Brakes pull sharply to the
left on application.  The pull is continuous, not transient on application.

Since the booster was going out for a rebuild, I replaced all three flex
hoses while I was waiting.  I finally got it all back together and bled it
this afternoon, then went for a drive.  Booster ok, no leaks, but the same
pull to the left was still there.  I pulled the ebrake, and it stayed
straight, so itbs not the rear, and I can feel it in the steering anyway.

Stu

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2425/5027 - Release Date: 05/28/12
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Teepen, Jere" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 22:21:47 -0400

What type of brake hose did you use?  Rubber or Stainless braided?  Any idea
how old the replacement brake hoses are?  Stainless should not present any
problems, but if they are new old stock they could have been bad before they
were installed on the car.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ron Fraser
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2012 6:24 PM
To: 'Stu Brennan'; 'Tiger Net'
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake Mystery

Stu

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Stu

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 22:58:37 -0400

To answer various questions and comments...

The pull to the left was the same before and after I replaced ALL THREE flex 
hoses, within the last week.

The hoses were sourced from one of our trusted suppliers within the last 
month

I did pull the ebrake on and the car remained straight.

The silicon fluid had been in the new hoses about an hour before the test 
drive this afternoon

Both the L and R calipers bled normally.

The pedal is nice and firm, so I don't think there is much air left in the 
system.

The pull to the left occurs only during pedal application.

I did not check for left disk temperatures, the drive was about 1/2 mile, 
and I didn't notice anything like a pull to the side with the brakes off.

The left disk seemed free when I was putting the wheel back on after 
bleeding.

The pad backing plates were ground down a bit so they are free in the 
calipers

I'll jack it up and fiddle around some more tomorrow night.  Rain predicted, 
so it will probably stay in the garage.

Funny thing, Jere, you got Ron's message before I did.  As of sending this, 
it's not in my inbox or spam bin yet.

Stu 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Thomas Witt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 20:16:19 -0700

I wouldn't completely rule out the rear brakes.  Pulling the handle actuates 
the brakes by cable. In normal braking they actuate hydraulically.  So, 
while the cable may be functioning the brakes properly, the hydraulics may 
not. That said it still sounds like it is associated with the front brakes.

Tom 

[email-masked]