Subject: Re: [Tigers] Dodge Shelby's

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 20:21:39 -0400 (EDT)

Jere wrote:
 
" ... Shelby's efforts with Dodge were much more than "lending his  name".  
He was
directly involved with the concept and execution of the  Shelby Dodges.  
This
is not to say he was wrenching on them, he was  rarely hands on with any of 
the
cars bearing his name.  The Shelby  Dodges were a strong contender in the 
SCCA
battles from 1984 with the Shelby  Charger and Omni, through 1992 with the
Shelby Shadow.  And then there  were the Shelby Can Am cars that were built 
at
the Shelby Performance Center  in Whittier, CA.  These were purpose built
racecars, designed in part by  Pete Brock, using Chrysler sourced V-6 
engines
and dedicated  transaxles.  This race series lasted until the late 
nineties, I
believe,  and there are many still being campaigned.  There is (was?)a 
Shelby
Can  Am website that lists the cars and their current owners/whereabouts, 
but  I
have not looked at/for it for a couple of years.  Shelby's  relationship 
with
Dodge lasted longer than his initial relationship with  Ford.  Sadly these 
cars
have not survived well and are only sought after  by a relatively few 
dedicated
souls.  If you have never driven a GLHS  then you are missing a very 
different
treat."

There is a farm-field on the Washington Peninsula near the Hood Canal  
Floating Bridge where a fellow has a collection of at least six Dodge  Shelbys 
stored.  The last time I saw them, they were not covered and just  wasting 
away next to a Series 5 Alpine shell.
 
Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger  Club    Seattle 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Jay Laifman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 20:20:50 -0700

> Jim Leach    Pacific Tiger  Club    Seattle

Don't tell he planned on somehow combining the Dodge with the Alpine?  I guess
that wouldn't be an Alger.  Maybe a Shelpine? Or, Alby?  ;-)
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: steve wick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 20:26:25 -0700

My oldest son has a GLHS and a CSX-T. They are definately fun cars, but no one
knows about them. Steve
 > From: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 20:21:39 -0400
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Tigers] Dodge Shelby's
>
> Jere wrote:
>
> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]