Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake Mystery

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 07:13:59 -0400 (EDT)

Is there any chance of contamination (oil or grease)  being on one of the 
pads?
Mark

In a message dated 5/28/2012 11:03:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

To  answer various questions and comments...

The pull to the left was the  same before and after I replaced ALL THREE 
flex 
hoses, within the last  week.

The hoses were sourced from one of our trusted suppliers within  the last 
month

I did pull the ebrake on and the car remained  straight.

The silicon fluid had been in the new hoses about an hour  before the test 
drive this afternoon

Both the L and R calipers bled  normally.

The pedal is nice and firm, so I don't think there is much  air left in the 
system.

The pull to the left occurs only during  pedal application.

I did not check for left disk temperatures, the  drive was about 1/2 mile, 
and I didn't notice anything like a pull to the  side with the brakes off.

The left disk seemed free when I was putting  the wheel back on after 
bleeding.

The pad backing plates were  ground down a bit so they are free in the 
calipers

I'll jack it up  and fiddle around some more tomorrow night.  Rain 
predicted, 
so it  will probably stay in the garage.

Funny thing, Jere, you got Ron's  message before I did.  As of sending 
this, 
it's not in my inbox or  spam bin yet.

Stu  
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate:  http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive:  http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:  http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:  http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 08:51:54 -0500

Hi Stu,
More than likely you've got a problem with the right brake caliper - one or
both of the pistons are sticking and unless you do a very heavy brake
application it's not grabbing the right rotor like it should. It may be a
thing where once you do get that side to move, it will stay stuck on... I
would pull both front brakes apart and verify it's all okay in there. Note
that you should not separate the caliper halves unless you really need to...
the O-rings in the caliper body are hard to get.

Good luck,
Theo

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Thank you for your cooperation.
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Munroe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 11:40:54 -0300

Stu:

I note you are using silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid.

I have had issues in the past with silicone reacting with certain types of 
piston seal material that swells when in contact with silicone and seizes 
the pistons.

Any chance you have NOS seals that might be affecting the pistons?

Brake problems are often very mysterious until solved, then all comes clear! 
Persistence rules...check everything starting with the easiest first.

I wish you a speedy solution and await the explanation.

Dave

----------------------

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; 
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake Mystery

 Hi Stu,
 that you should not separate the caliper halves unless you really need 
to...

 Good luck,
 Theo

[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Somebody <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 10:03:56 -0700 (PDT)

Having srtared at the end of this thread, I havent read the actual problem.
Sounds like no brake or brake stuck. Theo is almost always in the srike zone
if he was a professional baseball pitcher. As for silicone, I suppose newer
rubber may react different than OEM but Ive being using silicone (dot 5) for
several years in both the Tiger and S5 and have not even had to rebilud a
clutch or brake master or any brake/clutch component BUT I am rather lucky. My
first question would be"Are you running a brake Servo?
Good luck and please post the FIX once it is located- so we all might learn.
regards, Tony Lang (TtT)

--- On Tue, 5/29/12, Dave Munroe <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Dave Munroe <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brake Mystery
To: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked]
Date: Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 9:40 AM

Stu:

I have had issues in the past with silicone reacting with certain types of
piston seal material that swells when in contact with silicone and seizes the
pistons.

Dave

----------------------

----- Original Message ----- From: "Smit, Theo" <[email-masked]>

Hi Stu,

Good luck,
Theo

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 20:30:21 -0400

Just for chuckles I checked the rears, both seem fine.  So back to the front.
Sound was the first clue.  You know that slight scraping noise of pads just
touching the disk?

Present on the left, absent on the right.   Hmmm.

The next sound clue was a pop as I forced one of the right side pistons all
the way in.  A pop?  What pops?  Then I saw a little fluid dripping onto the
floor.  Extracted, the pad looked wet.  It appears that the diskbs
performance was degraded due to lubrication, with my pricey silicon fluid.
There must be a very small leak in one of my new (last summer) caliper seals.
Not enough to drip when the pedal was depressed, but it slowly filled up the
outer boot, and squished out when the piston was forced in.   Must have been
leaking a bit all winter, dampening the works but not enough to drip down the
inside of the tire.  I check for that before moving it the first time in the
spring.

So Ibll be on the phone to Rick as soon as he opens tomorrow.  New seals,
both sides.  So much for driving during British Car week...

Stu

[email-masked]