Subject: Re: [Tigers] [Land-speed] OFF Topic: Desk Top Computer Question Involving a Farkled Win XP Pro OS

From: Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 07:09:19 -0700

Ya'll remember this? An update: I have actually repaired the computer 
ans i is fully functional again! It was not easy at all.  In on eof he 
trouble shooting steps I went through, I had started the computer in the 
safe mode.  for some reason it had given me three days to activate the 
installation of XP. The it ceased responding to anything. Cannot 
activate if in Safe Mode.  Cannot activate it on line if you cannot get 
past the dead activation. After long searched, I found a sequence which 
let me reset the activation back to 30 days.  Many steps involved to do 
that.  But I was able to finally restart in safe mode with no issues and 
I did that in the command mode which will run the cd drive.  I then put 
the Win XP Pro disk in and it started and ran.  I had it try and do a 
recovery console repair but it needed a reinstall. So I did that but 
wihout over writing the old installation.  I used a new windows file 
folder name for the install and it worked very well.  I now have all of 
my old files, desk top, etc. working again. I did have to reinstall my 
Norton anti virus but that went ok as well.  I am actually amazed, 
lol... I had o reinstall all the updates but that is also done now.  
Life is good!   But, what a chore!

Thanks to everyone who helped. I finally found the answer buried in MS 
on one of their self help forums.

mayf

______________________________
drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile
210.779 mph exit speed

On 4/1/2012 7:45 AM, Larry Mayfield wrote:
> Hit delete now unless you are interested in this issue, lol.
>
> I have a hard drive which is in trouble. Out of an older computer I
> have. It uses (used, lol) WIn XP Pro as the OS. It had a serious Trojan
> which denied access to the basic operation of the OS. Unfortunately
> during the attempted repair, I used a version of XP that was not the
> correct version or matching what was in the drive for windows. It is now
> stuck in never never land. When I boot it up, it comes up in Safe mode,
> except that i immediately says this needs to be activated and that it
> can only be activated in the normal start up mode. No matter what is
> done, it always restarts in Safe mode.  Now, I can install another hard
> drive as the primary drive and this drive as the slave and I can start
> the computer and examine the hard drive. In fact, this is how I finally
> got rid of the trojan that was living on it.  I think that if I could
> cripple the OS in the slave drive then I might be able to make it the
> primary then and retry to repair the existing OS by using the repair
> function on the XP set up disk.  Does tis sound like a reasonable
> approach or is ther some other manner to get the system back to a
> stable position where I can reinstall XP?  If I can cripple the OS what
> files do I need to rename or?
>
> Any helkp out there? Please reply off list as nobody else needs to be
> bothered with this.
>
> [email-masked]
>
> many thanks hopefully for outstanding suggestions on how to do this!
>
> mayf
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 21:29:14 -0600

> ans i is fully functional again! It was not easy at all.  In on eof he

Keyboard works great!

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 14:03:46 +0000

Might need to re-install the spell checker though.....
:>)

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark J Bradakis
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:29 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Tigers] [Land-speed] OFF Topic: Desk Top Computer Question
Involving a Farkled Win XP Pro OS

Keyboard works great!

mjb.

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 07:43:29 -0700

And yet another one piles on.... with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I 
ask, "What's a spell checker?"   Let's consider, well,  is there one 
that can check =whether or not the person is having a "spell"?. Much 
like being sick ( a period of being unwell?)?  A financial bad spell ( a 
period of time)?  Or a bad spell of weather (like a drought)?  Spells 
can obviously be a period of bad things happening.  Or in this case, 
notice that just about everything quoted below was indeed spelled 
correctly.  ANS is abbreviation for answer, i is just lower case I, on 
is correctly spelled, eof is end of file abbreviation and he is 
correctly spelled.  So, do I need a "Spell checker to see if I am 
functioning, a spell checker to see if the weather is bad or that I am 
running out of money or conversely having a good spell in financial 
matters, or if the words I used were spelled correctly.  Perhaps what I 
really need is a context checker AND a spell checker combined...  I am 
sure that one exists somewhere and that I need it and you all will send 
me a link to where it maybe found.

What I REALLY need is a new computer, lol.   The one I am using right 
now is a unit I put together from parts I acquired. It is a P3 Pentium,  
and not much memory.  I put it together to be my data acquisition  
computer for shop use. It has some legacy card slots for some old 
instrument boards I have.  The computer that went toes up, twice since 
2010, is a Dell I purchased new in 2000.  It had a whopping 256MB RDRAM, 
Win ME, and I have been upgrading hardware and software all along.  It 
had a Pentium 4 at 1.3 GHz speed. I added memory to bring it to 512 MB 
RDRAM. When the first farkle hit, I purchased a used eBay MOBO that had 
a 2.0 GHz CPU and 2 GB of memory on it.   And some where along the way, 
I went from Win ME to WIn XP Pro SP3 and larger hard drives.  What I 
want is a HP Z1 work station, lol...  Sadly, I wont be getting that 
either.   What's interesting is that I could purchase the Z1 today for 
the same price as I paid for the Dell.

I am pretty happy that I am of sound mind (mostly) and can do the 
required stuff to keep it all running.  My other platforms are: 
Panasonic Toughbook, Acer Netbook, Toshiba Satellite (3.2 Ghz hyper 
threading laptop with no memory, lol), and a Gateway P4 system that I 
inherited from a deceased family member.  Add to that is my internal 
network as everything is connected via routers, ethernet or wireless, 
including several printers.  I have plans to build a shop network that 
is connected to my Cisco gateway coupled to my Cisco dual band N 
router.  I have the parts if I can just quit fooling around with race cars.

so, please cut me some slack. I am not doing too bad for an old fart, lol...

this is fun

mayf

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 11:21:40 -0400

Shared by Michael Shortt

ODE TO A SPELL CHECKER

by Jerrold H Zar

I have a spelling checker.
It came with my PC.
It plane lee marks four my revue
Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this poem threw it,
Your sure reel glad two no.
Its vary polished in it's weigh.
My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen
Eye trussed too be a joule.
The checker pours o'er every word
To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checker's
Hour spelling mite decline,
And if we're lacks oar have a laps,
We wood bee maid to wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling
Is checked with such grate flare,
Their are know fault's with in my cite,
Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me,
it does knot bring a tier.
My pay purrs awl due glad den
With wrapped word's fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays
Such soft wear four pea seas,
And why eye brake in two averse
Buy righting want too pleas.

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Larry Mayfield wrote:
>>
>> And yet another one piles on.... with my tongue firmly in my cheek, I ask,
>> "What's a spell checker?"
>
>
> Seems to me you'd only need a spell checker if you've upset the
neighborhood
> witches.
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>

--

Michael L. Shortt
Savannah, Georgia
www.michaelshortt.com
[email-masked]
912-232-9390

This email is protected by the Electronic Communications Privacy
Act, 18 U.S.C. Sec. 2510-2521, is confidential and may be legally
privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited.  Please reply to the sender that you
have received this message in error, then delete it.  Thank you
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Mayfield <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 08:26:38 -0700

Yeah, I missed that one. could have added witch doctor spells, warlock 
spells, witch spells, VooDoo spells, and so on.  I guess the "spell 
checker" in that case would not only have to know the correct literary 
spelling, but, also the content of the spell itself as to efficacy.

mayf

On 5/21/2012 8:13 AM, Mark J Bradakis wrote:
>> ask, "What's a spell checker?"
>

[email-masked]