Subject: [Tigers] Brake Flex Hoses

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 20:52:00 -0400

Has anyone else noticed a difference in their replacement flex hoses recently?
I got a set from Classic Sunbeam, and started installing them this past
weekend.  The first thing I noticed was that the nut that secures the body end
of the hose onto that tab would not easily spin onto the fitting.  It had
easily spun off of the old hose.  I quickly made a bthread chaserb for it,
and the nut spun on with little interference.   I compared the thread pitch
between old and new hoses, and they seemed to match.

OK, dial caliper time.  The peaks of the threads were about 0 .36 inch on the
old, 0.366 on the new.  Measured as best I could, the bvalleysb on the
thread were 0.342 on the old, and 0.335 on the new.  So despite the pitch
being the same, the new thread has a slightly larger outer diameter, and a
slightly different shape.

 Measuring between the flats on the hex, the old was 0.565, the new was 0.60,
and actually would not fit into the cutout on that clipnut that goes on the
body tab, is supposed to prevent it from rotating.

Easily solved, remove the clipnut, hold the hex with another wrench,  a bit of
Dremel on the nut interior, and it went on, with no worries about it vibrating
off.

Another case of our suppliers losing the recipe over the years, I guess.

Stu
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]