Subject: [Tigers] the red Tiger and 'Billy' Rootes

From: "rande" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 19:26:09 -0400

'
Just to set the record straight, the Ken Miles-built car was NOT the car that
went to England and ultimately driven by Lord Rootes himself.  That would have
been the white Boskoff-built Shelby-American version.  The red car that you
are referring to was the one that Ian Garrad had his first Tiger-like experience
with on the streets of L.A.

Andy Walker
Edmond, OK
B382001600LRXFE
TAC #740 '

I think the red car mentioned is a regular production Tiger, not the Miles car,
that is in Shelby's personal collection.

'Billy' Rootes, that would be the first Lord Rootes, didn't know about the scheming
to build the V8 Alpine until he drove Shelby  project in Coventry for the first
time. I think the road testers in California were Ian (Garrad) and possibly
John Panks, the US Rootes manager who flew to LA to meet Ian and play with the
prototypes. And I'm not 100% sure Panks drove both prototypes, someone fill
me in.

RB
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]