Subject: [Tigers] Balance pipe nipple thread

From: "tim " <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 12:12:06 -0700

Listers,

The parts book calls for a 1/2" UNF tube with a compression sleeve where the
fuel line meets the balance pipe. I went through this with my Alpine and as
I recall, the 1/2" UNF tube nut worked fine.

The balance pipe I have for the Tiger seems to have a different thread. My
local supplier was stumped and said it almost looks like a Whitworth thread.

Does anybody have insight into this? I bought the pipe on EBay as the
original was trashed so it possibly came from a different model? I guess I
could cut the nipple off and weld on a new one or find a different pipe
altogether but I am still puzzled by this.

Thanks,

Tim
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: Allan Ballard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:19:03 -0400

I can add that the Series IV Alpines used a different fitting than used 
on the Series V Alpines, although the
balance pipe appears identical.

Allan Ballard
Mk1a Tiger

Perhaps

On 5/22/12 3:12 PM, tim wrote:
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Owain Lloyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 15:19:57 -0400

It's british pipe thread (bsp).  You can buy the correct union from
bes.co.uk.

Search the archive for the part number.

On May 22, 2012, at 3:12 PM, "tim " <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 16:31:17 -0400

Tim
	I believe the fuel line on my Tiger at the balance pipe is 5/16
tubing.  I recall the tube nut was about 2x longer than the standard tube
nut I could find so I reused the original; more threads, better contact.

5/16 tube nut thread is 1/2 - 24.

If you have a thread gage you should be able to determine what thread you
have.

UNF = unified fine thread which is similar and compatible with fine thread
in the USA

Pipe thread generally has a taper but I believe there is also a British
Parallel pipe thread.

Additional info on threads and more

http://www.britishfasteners.com/

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of tim
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Balance pipe nipple thread

Listers,

Thanks,

Tim

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2425/5015 - Release Date: 05/22/12
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Somebody <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 16:41:16 -0700 (PDT)

Tim, I just happen to have a set of balance tubes laying in my shop floor from
an Alpine I scraped out- the rust was to far gone to save the beast- I can
check the thread on it and perhaps I saved the nut and a piece of the line-
although my son was helping and he isn't as prone to keeping every bit and
piece. Just let me know and I will take a ride to my shop and see if I can be
of help.
regards, Tony

--- On Tue, 5/22/12, Ron Fraser <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: Ron Fraser <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Balance pipe nipple thread
To: "'tim '" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Tuesday, May 22, 2012, 3:31 PM

Tim

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----

Listers,

Thanks,

Tim

[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Allan Ballard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 20:45:34 -0400

Did all Tigers use the same fitting?

I should have been more specific in my earlier posting - Alpines changed
fittings  between the end of Series IV (1965) and the beginning of the last
series.

Is it reasonable to assume that the same balance pipes and changed fittings
were used on Tigers?

Or did the factory use the same pipe but with a different, Tiger specific
fitting..

Just my  $0.02 worth :)

Allan Ballard
Mk1a Tiger

Sent from my iPhone

> altogether but I am still puzzled by this.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 21:43:55 -0400

Allan
	There is a bit of confusion in the Parts List about the balance pipe
inner or cross over pipe.  There are 5 numbers listed for the balance pipe.

1206336	Series III
1206753	S IV up to B9407422
2228999	S IV from B9407423 - B395000000   260 up to B382000000
2235552	S V from B395000001	260 from B382000001
2239563	Supersedes all of the above numbers but is not listed separately as
a part just as an s/d number next to the above numbers.

There is little detail about the fuel pipe nut and olive, just one listing
for a 1/2 UNF nut for S IV from B9407423 -B395003168.

I only have 1 fuel pipe listing for the Tiger from the balance tube to the
pump - 1224803

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: Allan Ballard [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:46 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: tim; <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Balance pipe nipple thread

Just my  $0.02 worth :)

Allan Ballard
Mk1a Tiger

Sent from my iPhone

[email-masked]

---

From: Allan Ballard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:12:26 -0400

Ron,

The Series V Alpine fuel pipe nut is 9/16, compared to 1/2 for Series IV
Alpines that you noted..

The crossover pipe looks the same on both Alpines made during the Tiger era
and quite likely is the same as the pipe used on Tigers.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2012, at 10:19 PM, Allan Ballard <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I found out about  different fuel pipe nut and olive fittings being used on
Alpines the hard way :)
>
> I put a balance pipe from a Series V alpine (1966-1968) into my Series IV
Alpine (1963) and tried to attach the fuel line.
>
> It wouldn't attach.
>
> The pipes are the same but the fitting
> changed. One is different from the other by a small amount.
>
> So there were different fitting sizes used on the Series Alpines that
overlap Tiger production but the balance pipe looks to be the same on both
cars.
>
> Perhaps Tigers use a larger fitting  for the fuel line than Alpines - I've
never replaced a Tiger connecting pipe with an Alpine  pipe.
>
> OTOH maybe not and Tigers use a different sized fitting on early models from
later models corresponding to the Alpine fittings.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 22, 2012, at 9:43 PM, " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> Allan

[email-masked]

---

From: Wayne-MSN <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 14:41:35 -0400

Tim:

Please have a look at:
http://www.bresco.com/acatalog/Brake_and_Fuel_Hardware.html

I believe the part you seek is Ref: BSF403P

Cheers,

Wayne

-----Original Message-----
From: tim [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:12 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Tigers] Balance pipe nipple thread

Listers,

 

 

 

Thanks,

Tim

[email-masked]