Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacing Soft Top

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 01:37:03 +0000

Thanks to all for the advice and tips on soft tops.

There actually was a consensus on the issue of getting a good fitting top: 
Buy a cloth (canvas, mohair, whatever) and have a pro install it. Several listers said they had sprung for the expensive Robbins cloth top and they look and fit great, although they cost roughly double what a vinyl top costs.

There was also agreement that you could successfully do it yourself, but it takes patience and attention to detail to get it right.

The best tip (among many good ones) came from Gene Padgett: he suggested using the old top as a guide for the screw holes etc, and if your old top has wrinkles you don't like, play around with the old one to try and remove them, and note what you did so you can apply the changes to your new top for a good fit.

Thanks again to all, and I hope the above is useful to some others.

Dave
B382000450
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: michael king <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 14:32:14 +1000

Can i add.. now is the time to make sure your alignment of the 1/4 windows
and the windscreen is all good..(the little adjusters sunbeam spcialties
sells make this much easier) replace windscreen seals and screen to body
seals if they are strating to harden before you fit the top.. and make sure
that the frame has a nice snug fit on the vertical edge of the windows.
Often the pivot mechanism is bent from people forcing the tops leading to
poor fit around the windows... spend some time aligning the frame nicely
then fit the top... no point doing it after ;-)

On 9 May 2012 11:37, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Buy a cloth (canvas, mohair, whatever) and have a pro install it. Several
> listers said they had sprung for the expensive Robbins cloth top and they
> look and fit great, although they cost roughly double what a vinyl top
> costs.
>
> There was also agreement that you could successfully do it yourself, but
> it takes patience and attention to detail to get it right.
>
> The best tip (among many good ones) came from Gene Padgett: he suggested
> using the old top as a guide for the screw holes etc, and if your old top
> has wrinkles you don't like, play around with the old one to try and remove
> them, and note what you did so you can apply the changes to your new top
> for a good fit.
>
> Unsubscribe:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]
>
>
>

-- 
Regards

Michael King

[email-masked]