Subject: [Tigers] Metal Cover over top.

From: George Re <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 18:54:56 +0000 (UTC)

Looking for some help again. My Tiger is almost complete and have come to a problem the metal side covers that cover the top are missing!!! my question is can I convert the metal covers to the later vinyl cover that covers the top?. Thanks Again George Re 
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

---

From: George Re <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 22:49:05 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks for all the INFO looks like I am going to stay with the metal covers Bob Dixon has a set for me. 
Thanks Again for the help. 

George Re 

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Re" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Tigers" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:54:56 PM 
Subject: [Tigers] Metal Cover over top. 

[email-masked] 

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dave Munroe" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 11:47:36 -0300

Good day folks:

I am closing in on completing my "going on forever" restoration of the 
mighty Tiger. Last on the list following the nearly completed resto of the 
interior is the replacement of the ancient vinyl soft top.

At the TE/AE Annual Meet in Rockland, Me. in 2010, There were several 
Alpines and Tigers present with relatively new soft tops fitted, and several 
did not look good. The consensus among those present was that the patterns 
were getting old and not providing an accurate panel shape to provide a 
proper fitment. There were two tops that I saw, however,  that were 
outstanding, but unfortunately they both came from the U.K. and neither 
owner could recall the name of the  manufacturer.

Have any of you purchased a soft top recently that you are very happy with, 
or know of a recently purchased soft top that impressed you with the fit and 
finish? I'd really appreciate some direction as to where to find a good 
fitting soft top.

TIA,

Dave

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 9:29:42 -0700

I purchased a top from Sunbeam Specialities. I believe the box said it was a Robbins top.
I am quite happy with it.
Installing a top requires a great deal of patience and perseverance.  I had Smitty do the install with my kibbitzing.
He would tug and tighten screws, step back, look, curse and then tackle it again.
Find somebody who has done a few and apprentice from them.

Erich
---- Dave Munroe <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 12:49:14 -0400

Dave
	 I thought Tiger Tom and Rick McLeod of Sunbeam Specialties worked
with Robbins many years ago to get the right fit.  I know for a time the
Robbins soft top was short material at a couple of points.  SS should have
the correct fitting top.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dave Munroe
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 10:48 AM
To: Tigers
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacing Soft Top

Good day folks:

TIA,

Dave

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2425/4977 - Release Date: 05/04/12
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Allan Ballard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 13:37:51 -0400

Has anyone used vinyl die/paint on upholstery?

The guy spraying my Mk1a Tiger put a considerable dusting of green paint onto
the top boot, which
is black.

He says not to worry, he can easily spray black paint/dye two cover the
overspray of green.

I don't see this pieced in the catalog of our suppliers -- so a replacement is
probably not an option.

I can't help but speculate that such paint or dye would not appear original
and would not last.

But I have no experience with it.

TIA,

Allan Ballard
Mk1a Tiger

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 19:07:37 +0000 (UTC)

Dave, 

Hopefully you still have the top you are replacing. Using the old one as a pattern and guide as to where the holes go, etc. can be a big help. If the old one did not fit as well as you would like, with wrinkles in certain places, you can first try and adjust it with new mounting holes, etc. without worrying you are going to mess it up. It is coming off anyway. Mark any revisions and then use the old top as a guide to installing the new one. That helped me a couple of years ago anyway. 

Gene 

----- Original Message -----
From: "e coiner" <[email-masked]> 
To: "Dave Munroe" <[email-masked]>, "Tigers" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:29:42 AM 
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacing Soft Top 

Erich 

[email-masked] 

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked] 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Stu Brennan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 16:04:43 -0400

I've used the Duplicolor Vinyl  and Fabric spray on my black rugs, which try 
to turn into brown rugs if exposed to light.  I have also use a similar 
product to renew a couple vinyl pieces, the kick panels, and they still look 
fine after several years.  Worth a try, IMHO.

Stu

-----Original Message----- 
From: Allan Ballard
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 1:37 PM
To: Tigers
Subject: [Tigers] Vinyl die/paint

The guy spraying my Mk1a Tiger put a considerable dusting of green paint 
onto
the top boot, which
is black.

I don't see this pieced in the catalog of our suppliers -- so a replacement 
is
probably not an option.

TIA,

Allan Ballard
Mk1a Tiger

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 13:22:22 -0700

Hi Dave

I asked the very same questions on here a couple years ago...

I was told 2 things that stood out...

One was that for the 'concours original' crowd, the exact material for
originality is not available for a MK1A but IS for a MK1... can't remember
the source

The other thing was... buy a cloth top if you can afford it as they look
extremely good when installed ! ( you're probably only ever gonna buy ONE )

I took that advice and ponied up for a Robbins cloth top from S.S.( a little
over double the $ of vinyl ) It looks fantastic and I get a lot of
compliments about it.

Being cloth, it's pretty much immune to stretch and hot/cold ... I actually
installed it in March in a cool shop... the usual fussing and pulling but
was worth it ( I did it by myself! )

Jim
B382000446

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Dave Munroe
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 7:48 AM
To: Tigers
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacing Soft Top

Good day folks:

TIA,

Dave

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2425/4981 - Release Date: 05/06/12
_______________________________________________

[email-masked]

---

From: Tony Somebody <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 14:46:24 -0700 (PDT)

We also have or had a member who is in the soft top manufacturing business. I
purchased a top maybe two some years back- still in storage as is his name but
he was recommended by a member and he gave me a deal on the top(s). Seems I
bough2 since he was so generous as to normal price- he might not appreciate
this statement- he may no longer be in business BUT he was also a Tiger owner
and the tops matched very close to originals but he also had expensive tops
available in Blue but I cant recall the type material- a bit out of my price
range at the time. I think I have almost as many parts as any member BUT I'm
definitely the poorest of the group and for sure the dumbest and a vote isn't
necessary, I gladly accept the award.
 
Something I did want to mention. A cpl weeks ago I brought up ans award for a
gent who had just passed away and had done tons for our group- I had been
tasting some WVa Moonshine and totally forgot about Steve Lafiman and forgot I
apologize to Steve and family and the to everyone for if anyone deserves
recognition, it would be Steve but as both had done so much perhaps they would
enjoy some sort of recognition. You guys on the west coast have more to say
about the idea but I wanted to throw it out/ Again, Jay, Um sorry young man,
iy just slipped y mind. cheers, Tony

--- On Sun, 5/6/12, [email-masked] <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacing Soft Top
To: "Dave Munroe" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Tigers" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sunday, May 6, 2012, 2:07 PM

Dave,

Hopefully you still have the top you are replacing. Using the old one as a
pattern and guide as to where the holes go, etc. can be a big help. If the old
one did not fit as well as you would like, with wrinkles in certain places,
you can first try and adjust it with new mounting holes, etc. without worrying
you are going to mess it up. It is coming off anyway. Mark any revisions and
then use the old top as a guide to installing the new one. That helped me a
couple of years ago anyway.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: "e coiner" <[email-masked]>
To: "Dave Munroe" <[email-masked]>, "Tigers" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, May 6, 2012 11:29:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacing Soft Top

I purchased a top from Sunbeam Specialities. I believe the box said it was a
Robbins top.
I am quite happy with it.
Installing a top requires a great deal of patience and perseverance. I had
Smitty do the install with my kibbitzing.
He would tug and tighten screws, step back, look, curse and then tackle it
again.
Find somebody who has done a few and apprentice from them.

Erich

[email-masked]

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 19:11:56 -0400

Back in college I used it to turn a 73 TR6 Pimento Red & Russet into a
Pimento Red & Black car.  It lasted the entire time I owned the car (6
years), with the top down 85% of the time and 4 summers in Columbia,  SC's
blistering sun.

Michael Shortt

As with all paints and dye, surface prep is key, Zero Armor All residue, a
good
alcohol scrub down before application.
 On May 6, 2012 3:08 PM, "Allan Ballard" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 20:21:24 -0400

I just used Eastwood's product about two years ago to redo a vinyl top 
on a Mini-Moke.  It lasted about 6 months, but it was exposed 
continuously to the sun and salt in the West Indies.

YMMV

Chris

On 5/6/2012 7:11 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Back in college I used it to turn a 73 TR6 Pimento Red&  Russet into a
> Pimento Red&  Black car.  It lasted the entire time I owned the car (6
>   On May 6, 2012 3:08 PM, "Allan Ballard"<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>

[email-masked]

---

From: " Ron Fraser" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 21:44:47 -0400

Allan
	A light dusting of paint should come off with a bit of effort.
Before putting any more paint on the top boot; I would first try washing it
with soap and water and maybe a soft brush, try wiping it with something
like Goo Gone and/ or Lanoline hand cleaner lastly a Prep Sol type product.
Be careful with Prep Sol it could bit into the vinyl some so be ready to
wipe it with soap and water.

	SS lists Top Boot under Interior and Carpets.

	The vinyl die will work but it is adding a layer of paint on top of
paint to a flexible surface and I would think that will crack sometime.

Ron Fraser

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Allan Ballard
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2012 1:38 PM
To: Tigers
Subject: [Tigers] Vinyl die/paint

The guy spraying my Mk1a Tiger put a considerable dusting of green paint
onto the top boot, which is black.

I don't see this pieced in the catalog of our suppliers -- so a replacement
is probably not an option.

TIA,

Allan Ballard
Mk1a Tiger

[email-masked]

-----

[email-masked]

---

From: "Wally Menke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 22:02:08 +1000

Dave

I would recommend spending the extra $$ and using the Robbins canvas top. I
would not bother with the vinyl version as they never fit properly or nearly
as well. The canvas material has a lot more stretch in it and remains taunt
all the time. I have one and it fit and looks really well.

Wally Menke

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 19:23:00 -0400 (EDT)

amen

-----Original Message-----
From: Wally Menke <[email-masked]>
To: 'Dave Munroe' <[email-masked]>; 'Tigers' <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tue, May 8, 2012 9:42 am
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Replacing Soft Top

Dave

Wally Menke

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/tigers/[email-masked]

[email-masked]