Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Story about a hardtop

From: Linda Grunthaner via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2026 09:47:27 -0400

--000000000000193374064f439c5f

--000000000000193374064f439c5e

--000000000000193373064f439c5d
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Tim thanks for getting us started in our Spritely adventures and I love
your choice of blue on your white Spridget, stunning and great story not to
mention motivating us to do some work on our LBC's or just parts in the
shed or garage.

Wow Bill's hardtop story was so expensive, what an adventure of Spritely
money spent for the love of our Spridgets. Wow I never knew a Bugeye Bonnet
can fit into a van as seen in Rick's van, what year & model is that to fit?

My story is when Frank Clarici RIP was building his daughter's "Lady Bug"
he needed a Bugeye bonnet. I had a red one in my garage and knew where it
had to go. I look back over 15 years ago, perhaps closer to 20 and I picked
that bonnet up myself and slid it on top of my favorite car, a 1994 Saturn
wagon "myself". I strapped it down and headed for my 35 mile trip on the
Garden State Parkway.

In 2016 I bought another Bugeye bonnet (can't turn down a good deal on a
Spridget part). I hung in the garage several years ago all by myself but
using a lot of ratchet straps for leverage and hoisting support. I don't
know which harddrive has that bonnet picture of Lady Bugs bonnet on my
Saturn but it is somewhere and once found I will post it. Now my daily
driver a 1985 Nissan 720 truck I carried  my last bonnet in it (hopefully
my last). I don't know what makes me buy bonnets or hardtops for my
Spridgets or any parts for that matter but I'm getting closer to turning my
head at a good deal.

Enjoy and keep the stories coming,
1962 California Sprite "Pinky"
Linda

I SEE I ONCE AGAIN FORGOT TO PRESS "SEND" ....UGH!

On Tue, Mar 24, 2026 at 9:25=E2=80=AFAM Tim Collins via Spridgets <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Back in  September of 2022 Rick Fisk posted a Spridget hardtop as a give
> away item. After a day or so I sent Rick a note saying if no one else
> wanted the hardtop I would take it rather than have it get trashed. Rick
> responded; "Come and get it." Several others were interested until they
> learned where Rick lives.
>
> I'm 33 miles away from his home so getting the top was "easy." Easy is in
> quotes because I don't have a truck. I drove to Rick's in my (at the time=
)
> 2002 Mercury Sable "grandma car." - inherited from my mother-in-law. The
> top wouldn't fit in the car easily no matter how we twisted it. I finally
> lashed it to the open trunk lid - partly in the trunk - and drove home.
>
> My wife had passed away 5 months prior so I thought this would make a goo=
d
> project to keep me busy.
>
> Here's what I learned about restoring a fibreglass hardtop;
> I don't like working with fibreglass
> Free is quite expensive
> Parts may be available - somewhere else in the world, but not nearby
> Some parts are not available - anywhere
> I had fun with the project! Maybe the most important part of this story.
>
> The hardtop was missing one sidelight. I made a pattern and went to a
> glass company with an aluminum pattern to be sure I would get a perfect
> fit. On the second try they made a window that matched the pattern. The
> cost was in the neighborhood of $168, but it is tempered glass as it shou=
ld
> be. McGregor British Car Parts in Canada was able to provide most trim an=
d
> seal parts except for the window seals for the sidelights. I never did fi=
nd
> an exact replacement so I ended up buying the closest size I could find a=
nd
> then trimmed some off to fit. It's not perfect, I couldn't use the lock
> strip, trade offs were made. I chose a MG blue paint, Iris Blue - I don't
> know why, it just worked for me.
>
> It isn't that heavy, but putting it on by myself wasn't easy and as I get
> older it won't get any easier. So, I put a hoist on the ceiling of my
> garage which also provides an elevated storage location. That's another
> story.
>
> Thanks again to Rick for the hardtop!!!
>
> Here's some before and after pics.
> I couldn't find a good pic of the sidelights in the weather seal. These
> pics have temporary plastic sidelights.
>
> Tim Collins
>
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

--=20
"Pay if forward" in honor of Frank Clarici III, Spritenut

--000000000000193373064f439c5d
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Tim thanks for getting us started in our Spritely adv=
entures and I love your choice of blue on your white Spridget, stunning and=
 great story not to mention motivating us to do some work on our LBC&#39;s =
or just parts in the shed or garage.<br></div><div><br></div>Wow Bill&#39;s=
 hardtop story was so expensive, what an adventure of Spritely money spent =
for the love=C2=A0of our Spridgets. Wow I never knew a Bugeye Bonnet can fi=
t into a van as seen in Rick&#39;s van, what year &amp; model is that to fi=
t?=C2=A0<div><br></div><div>My story is when Frank Clarici RIP was building=
 his daughter&#39;s &quot;Lady Bug&quot; he needed a Bugeye bonnet. I had a=
 red one in my garage and knew where it had to go. I look back over 15 year=
s ago, perhaps closer to 20 and I picked that bonnet up myself and slid it =
on top of my favorite car, a 1994 Saturn wagon &quot;myself&quot;. I strapp=
ed it down and headed for my 35 mile trip on the Garden State Parkway.=C2=
=A0</div><div><br></div><div>In 2016 I bought another Bugeye bonnet (can&#3=
9;t turn down a good deal on a Spridget part). I hung in the garage several=
 years ago all=C2=A0by myself but using a lot of ratchet straps for=C2=A0le=
verage and hoisting support. I don&#39;t know which harddrive=C2=A0has that=
 bonnet picture of Lady Bugs bonnet on my Saturn but it is somewhere and on=
ce found=C2=A0I will post it. Now my daily driver a 1985 Nissan 720 truck I=
 carried=C2=A0 my last bonnet in it (hopefully my last). I don&#39;t know w=
hat makes me buy bonnets or hardtops for my Spridgets or any parts for that=
 matter but I&#39;m getting closer to turning my head at a good deal.=C2=A0=
</div><div><br></div><div>Enjoy and keep the stories=C2=A0coming,</div><div=
>1962 California Sprite &quot;Pinky&quot;=C2=A0</div><div>Linda<br><div><br=
></div><div>I SEE I ONCE AGAIN FORGOT TO PRESS &quot;SEND&quot; ....UGH!</d=
iv></div><div><br></div></div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"lt=
r" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Tue, Mar 24, 2026 at 9:25=E2=80=AFAM Tim Collins=
 via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_b=
lank">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D=
"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;borde=
r-left-style:solid;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><di=
v dir=3D"ltr"><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Back i=
n =C2=A0September of 2022 Rick Fisk posted a Spridget hardtop as a give awa=
y item. After a day or so I sent Rick a note saying if no one else wanted t=
he hardtop I would take it rather than have it get trashed. Rick responded;=
 &quot;Come and get it.&quot; Several others were interested until they lea=
rned where Rick lives. <br><br>I&#39;m 33 miles away from his home so getti=
ng the top was &quot;easy.&quot; Easy is in quotes because I don&#39;t have=
 a truck. I drove to Rick&#39;s in my (at the time) 2002 Mercury Sable &quo=
t;grandma car.&quot; - inherited from my mother-in-law. The top wouldn&#39;=
t fit in the car easily no matter how we twisted it. I finally lashed it to=
 the open trunk lid - partly in the trunk - and drove home. <br><br>My wife=
 had passed away 5 months prior so I thought this would make a good project=
 to keep me busy.<br><br>Here&#39;s what I learned about restoring a fibreg=
lass hardtop;<br>I don&#39;t like working with fibreglass<br>Free is quite =
expensive<br>Parts may be available - somewhere else in the world, but not =
nearby<br>Some parts are not available - anywhere<br>I had fun with the pro=
ject! Maybe the most important part of this story.</div><div class=3D"gmail=
_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-size:small">The hardtop was missing one sidelight. I made a p=
attern and went to a glass company with an aluminum pattern to be sure I wo=
uld get a perfect fit. On the second try they made a window that matched th=
e pattern. The cost was in the neighborhood of $168, but it is tempered gla=
ss as it should be. McGregor British Car Parts in Canada was able=C2=A0to p=
rovide most trim and seal parts except for the window seals for the sidelig=
hts. I never did find an exact replacement so I ended up buying the closest=
 size I could find and then trimmed some off to fit. It&#39;s not perfect, =
I couldn&#39;t use the=C2=A0lock strip, trade offs were made.=C2=A0I chose =
a MG blue paint, Iris Blue - I don&#39;t know why, it just=C2=A0worked for=
=C2=A0me.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br><=
/div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">It isn&#39;t th=
at heavy, but putting it on by myself wasn&#39;t easy and as I get older it=
 won&#39;t get any easier. So, I put a hoist on the ceiling of my garage wh=
ich also provides an elevated storage location. That&#39;s another story.</=
div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><br></div><div c=
lass=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">Thanks again to Rick for t=
he hardtop!!!=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:sm=
all">=C2=A0=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:smal=
l">Here&#39;s some before and after pics.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default"=
 style=3D"font-size:small"><img src=3D"cid:ii_mn4lnaps0" alt=3D"sprite top =
2.jpeg" width=3D"562" height=3D"422"></div><img src=3D"cid:ii_mn4morjz1" al=
t=3D"20240912_163214.jpg" width=3D"422" height=3D"562"><br><img src=3D"cid:=
ii_mn4morp32" alt=3D"20250528_084837.jpg" width=3D"562" height=3D"422"><br>=
<div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small">I couldn&#39;t find =
a good pic of the sidelights in the weather seal. These pics have temporary=
 plastic sidelights.=C2=A0</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-=
size:small"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small=
">Tim Collins</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:small"><=
br></div></div>
------------------------<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">spridgets@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>=C2=A0 <a=
 href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=
">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
ets/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox=
.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div><div><br clear=3D"all"></div><div><br></div><span class=
=3D"gmail_signature_prefix">-- </span><br><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_s=
ignature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><span style=3D"font-size:small">&quot;Pay if for=
ward&quot; in honor of Frank Clarici III, Spritenut</span><br></div></div>

--000000000000193373064f439c5d--

--000000000000193374064f439c5e
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="sprite top 2.jpeg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <ii_mn4lnaps0>

--000000000000193374064f439c5e
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="20240912_163214.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <ii_mn4morjz1>

--000000000000193374064f439c5e
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="20250528_084837.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <ii_mn4morp32>

YQwhAAAAIQAAAEgAAABTRUZU
--000000000000193374064f439c5e--

--000000000000193374064f439c5f
Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Bugeye in a 720 2016.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <f_mnsoz1hs3>

--000000000000193374064f439c5f
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--000000000000193374064f439c5f--

---

From: David Woerpel via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2026 15:34:11 -0500

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0196083472590096483==
 boundary="------------Gm3Wh2vhosah7Af0RJHP4Qa0"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------Gm3Wh2vhosah7Af0RJHP4Qa0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

OK, I'm a little late to the party this year.  Thanks Linda for the 
memories.  April 11 has come and gone...like Frank, but he's not really 
gone as just last week he helped me solve a problem with the petrol tank 
from the Bugeye.  I noticed a spot on the garage floor and there was 
evidence that fuel had been running down the sides. Thinking the worst 
that the filler neck had rusted where it joins the tank I started to 
prep my spare tank when a little voice said, "What would Frank do?"  It 
was then I saw the fuel sending unit on top of the tank(hey, it's been 
30 years) and thought, gasket.  My next worry was removing the fuel 
outlet line  from the tank after 3 decades.  It unscrewed with no drama, 
although I swear I heard Frank say mischievously, "Heat up the nut with 
a torch!! LOL".  I was not under any pharmaceutical influence, honest.  
It is just where my head goes when I have a car project.  Anyway the 
problem was the cork seal for the sending unit and I had filled the tank 
for the winter a bit too much.  One alarming thing I noticed is fuel had 
run down the wire from the sending unit and into the bullet connector on 
the harness.  That is now shrink wrapped.  Point of all this is check 
things once in a while, "Pre-flight" before an excursion, and, for me, 
most meaningful, is without Mark and this incredible list, as so many of 
you have generously (you are generous, correct? ;-) ) stated, I/we would 
probably never have met Frank, Paul, and dozens of others and would 
never have gone world wide with OSHIT groups, anniversary gatherings and 
even a run to New Foundland!  One person had the energy to follow 
through on an idea.  Truly amazing and gives me hope for the future.  
Let's take this momentum and Pay It Forward to other endeavors.
Thanks Mark!! PayPal sent.

Dave W
'59 :{)
'59 MGA 1500

"Pay It Forward"

On 4/12/2026 8:47 AM, Linda Grunthaner via Spridgets wrote:
> Tim thanks for getting us started in our Spritely adventures and I 
> love your choice of blue on your white Spridget, stunning and great 
> story not to mention motivating us to do some work on our LBC's or 
> just parts in the shed or garage.
>
> Wow Bill's hardtop story was so expensive, what an adventure of 
> Spritely money spent for the love of our Spridgets. Wow I never knew a 
> Bugeye Bonnet can fit into a van as seen in Rick's van, what year & 
> model is that to fit?
>
> My story is when Frank Clarici RIP was building his daughter's "Lady 
> Bug" he needed a Bugeye bonnet. I had a red one in my garage and knew 
> where it had to go. I look back over 15 years ago, perhaps closer to 
> 20 and I picked that bonnet up myself and slid it on top of my 
> favorite car, a 1994 Saturn wagon "myself". I strapped it down and 
> headed for my 35 mile trip on the Garden State Parkway.
>
> In 2016 I bought another Bugeye bonnet (can't turn down a good deal on 
> a Spridget part). I hung in the garage several years ago all by myself 
> but using a lot of ratchet straps for leverage and hoisting support. I 
> don't know which harddrive has that bonnet picture of Lady Bugs bonnet 
> on my Saturn but it is somewhere and once found I will post it. Now my 
> daily driver a 1985 Nissan 720 truck I carried  my last bonnet in it 
> (hopefully my last). I don't know what makes me buy bonnets or 
> hardtops for my Spridgets or any parts for that matter but I'm getting 
> closer to turning my head at a good deal.
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

--------------Gm3Wh2vhosah7Af0RJHP4Qa0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    OK, I'm a little late to the party this year.  Thanks Linda for the
    memories.  April 11 has come and gone...like Frank, but he's not
    really gone as just last week he helped me solve a problem with the
    petrol tank from the Bugeye.  I noticed a spot on the garage floor
    and there was evidence that fuel had been running down the sides. 
    Thinking the worst that the filler neck had rusted where it joins
    the tank I started to prep my spare tank when a little voice said,
    "What would Frank do?"  It was then I saw the fuel sending unit on
    top of the tank(hey, it's been 30 years) and thought, gasket.  My
    next worry was removing the fuel outlet line  from the tank after 3
    decades.  It unscrewed with no drama, although I swear I heard Frank
    say mischievously, "Heat up the nut with a torch!! LOL".  I was not
    under any pharmaceutical influence, honest.  It is just where my
    head goes when I have a car project.  Anyway the problem was the
    cork seal for the sending unit and I had filled the tank for the
    winter a bit too much.  One alarming thing I noticed is fuel had run
    down the wire from the sending unit and into the bullet connector on
    the harness.  That is now shrink wrapped.  Point of all this is
    check things once in a while, "Pre-flight" before an excursion, and,
    for me, most meaningful, is without Mark and this incredible list,
    as so many of you have generously (you are generous, correct? ;-) )
    stated, I/we would probably never have met Frank, Paul, and dozens
    of others and would never have gone world wide with OSHIT groups,
    anniversary gatherings and even a run to New Foundland!  One person
    had the energy to follow through on an idea.  Truly amazing and
    gives me hope for the future.  Let's take this momentum and Pay It
    Forward to other endeavors.<br>
    Thanks Mark!! PayPal sent.<br>
    <br>
    Dave W<br>
    '59 :{)<br>
    '59 MGA 1500<br>
    <br>
    "Pay It Forward"<br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 4/12/2026 8:47 AM, Linda Grunthaner
      via Spridgets wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAL0QtVf7udshzW8TuWmPYbbF3-0=[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">
        <div>Tim thanks for getting us started in our Spritely
          adventures and I love your choice of blue on your white
          Spridget, stunning and great story not to mention motivating
          us to do some work on our LBC's or just parts in the shed or
          garage.<br>
        </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        Wow Bill's hardtop story was so expensive, what an adventure of
        Spritely money spent for the love of our Spridgets. Wow I never
        knew a Bugeye Bonnet can fit into a van as seen in Rick's van,
        what year &amp; model is that to fit? 
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>My story is when Frank Clarici RIP was building his
          daughter's "Lady Bug" he needed a Bugeye bonnet. I had a red
          one in my garage and knew where it had to go. I look back over
          15 years ago, perhaps closer to 20 and I picked that bonnet up
          myself and slid it on top of my favorite car, a 1994 Saturn
          wagon "myself". I strapped it down and headed for my 35 mile
          trip on the Garden State Parkway. </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>In 2016 I bought another Bugeye bonnet (can't turn down a
          good deal on a Spridget part). I hung in the garage several
          years ago all by myself but using a lot of ratchet straps
          for leverage and hoisting support. I don't know which
          harddrive has that bonnet picture of Lady Bugs bonnet on my
          Saturn but it is somewhere and once found I will post it. Now
          my daily driver a 1985 Nissan 720 truck I carried  my last
          bonnet in it (hopefully my last). I don't know what makes me
          buy bonnets or hardtops for my Spridgets or any parts for that
          matter but I'm getting closer to turning my head at a good
          deal. </div>
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Enjoy and keep the stories coming,</div>
        <div>1962 California Sprite "Pinky" </div>
        <div>Linda<br>
          <div><br>
          </div>
          <span style="white-space: pre-wrap">------------------------</span></div>
      </div>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------Gm3Wh2vhosah7Af0RJHP4Qa0--

--===============0196083472590096483==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============0196083472590096483==--