Subject: [Spridgets] Spacers and tapered roller bearings

From: Mark Haynes via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2024 13:04:32 -0700

--===============5560989719983917452==

--000000000000d290bf0626806056

IIRC, The analysis confirmed that using the spacer increased the effective
diameter of the stub axle creating a lower bend moment and thus increasing
the longevity of the stub axle itself, as long as the spacer was in direct
contact with the inner race of both bearings, that is.

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way- Pay It Forward

Hi list,

Does anyone remember the debate about whether or not to use the spacer in
the front hub when converting to tapered roller bearings?

Well, I'm currently (binge) watching the restoration of an American Grant
WW2 tank by the Australian tank museum.  Here is the link to the episode
I'm currently watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEfhJXcreUY&list=PLWYZuCQ-NHUOIkUYupsLsLzK5AZZETh37&index=6

At 10:02 of the clip just after the Timken tapered roller bearing is
removed so is the the bearing spacer.

I always thought it was better to use the bearing spacer even when
converted to tapered roller bearings for several reasons but if anyone
needs an extra reason, this is how Timken did it, back in the day.

Regards

Daniel

--000000000000d290bf0626806056
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">IIRC, The analysis confirmed that using the spacer increas=
ed the effective diameter of the stub axle creating a lower bend moment and=
 thus increasing the longevity of the stub axle itself, as long as the spac=
er was in direct contact with the inner race of both bearings, that is.<br>=
<div><div>
<div><br></div><div><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"=
ltr"><div>Mark Haynes<br></div>It only goes one way- Pay It Forward</div></=
div></div>

</div><div><br></div><div>
<br>
Hi list,<br>
<br>
Does anyone remember the debate about whether or not to use the spacer in<b=
r>
the front hub when converting to tapered roller bearings?<br>
<br>
Well, I&#39;m currently (binge) watching the restoration of an American Gra=
nt<br>
WW2 tank by the Australian tank museum.=C2=A0 Here is the link to the episo=
de<br>
I&#39;m currently watching:<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DYEfhJXcreUY&amp;list=3DPLWYZuC=
Q-NHUOIkUYupsLsLzK5AZZETh37&amp;index=3D6" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_bl=
ank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DYEfhJXcreUY&amp;list=3DPLWYZuCQ-NHUO=
IkUYupsLsLzK5AZZETh37&amp;index=3D6</a><br>
<br>
At 10:02 of the clip just after the Timken tapered roller bearing is<br>
removed so is the the bearing spacer.<br>
<br>
I always thought it was better to use the bearing spacer even when<br>
converted to tapered roller bearings for several reasons but if anyone<br>
needs an extra reason, this is how Timken did it, back in the day.<br>
<br>
Regards<br>
<br>
<br>
Daniel

</div><br></div></div>

--000000000000d290bf0626806056--

--===============5560989719983917452==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============5560989719983917452==--