Subject: [Spridgets] Carb settings 1978 1500

From: Karl Vacek via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2023 18:27:54 -0500

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============2368811910669030183==
	boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0001_01D9A85B.EC9B95D0"
Content-Language: en-us

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D9A85B.EC9B95D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Ironed out all the other items - thanks to all who responded.

Embarrassed to say that in 16 years I'd never really needed to reset the
carb, timing, etc so left it untouched.  Last fall the huge pop-in plastic
drain plug in the bottom of the float bowl began peeing, and upon buying a
$$$ theoretically complete overhaul kit I launched into a safari of missing
gaskets, diaphragms not in the kit, and on and on.  It's all complete now
and runs, but this damn Stromberg is weird.  I remember when I bought my 71
TR6 new and did the first services I had little luck suggesting adjustments
to the Strombergs.

1978 California-spec Midget 1500, all emissions equipment present and
working.  I also just for the first time checked the timing.  It's a Lucas
Lumention system - apparently a factory recall replacing the original
electronig ignition.  The first owner seems to have done all his own work.
I see about 20 degrees of initial advance (BTDC) at idle, book and label
says 2 degrees ATDC and the vacuum advance or retard or whatever doesn't
seem to do anything.  It gets vacuum.

Can anyone point me to a comprehensive (and without the CO meter that the
shop manual wants me to have) discussion of the back alley way to adjust a
Stromberg CD-150 with all emission equipment in operation?  And maybe a clue
on the Lumenition system?

I can adjust to get a neutral response to slightly lifting the carb piston.
Then I've read that you're supposed to turn the large nylon nut on the right
of the carb, and finer adjustment through the brass screw that runs into
that nut.  Seems to lean when turned out as someone said it should.

Thanks!
Karl

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D9A85B.EC9B95D0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta =
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 =
(filtered medium)"><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body lang=3DEN-US link=3Dblue =
vlink=3Dpurple><div class=3DWordSection1><p class=3DMsoNormal>Ironed out =
all the other items &#8211; thanks to all who =
responded.<o:p></o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Embarrassed to say that in 16 years I&#8217;d never =
really needed to reset the carb, timing, etc so left it untouched.&nbsp; =
Last fall the huge pop-in plastic drain plug in the bottom of the float =
bowl began peeing, and upon buying a $$$ theoretically complete overhaul =
kit I launched into a safari of missing gaskets, diaphragms not in the =
kit, and on and on.&nbsp; It&#8217;s all complete now and runs, but this =
damn Stromberg is weird.&nbsp; I remember when I bought my 71 TR6 new =
and did the first services I had little luck suggesting adjustments to =
the Strombergs.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>1978 =
California-spec Midget 1500, all emissions equipment present and =
working.&nbsp; I also just for the first time checked the timing.&nbsp; =
It&#8217;s a Lucas Lumention system &#8211; apparently a factory recall =
replacing the original electronig ignition.&nbsp; The first owner seems =
to have done all his own work.&nbsp; I see about 20 degrees of initial =
advance (BTDC) at idle, book and label says 2 degrees ATDC and the =
vacuum advance or retard or whatever doesn&#8217;t seem to do =
anything.&nbsp; It gets vacuum.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>Can anyone =
point me to a comprehensive (and without the CO meter that the shop =
manual wants me to have) discussion of the back alley way to adjust a =
Stromberg CD-150 with all emission equipment in operation?&nbsp; And =
maybe a clue on the Lumenition system?<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p class=3DMsoNormal>I can adjust =
to get a neutral response to slightly lifting the carb piston.&nbsp; =
Then I&#8217;ve read that you&#8217;re supposed to turn the large nylon =
nut on the right of the carb, and finer adjustment through the brass =
screw that runs into that nut.&nbsp; Seems to lean when turned out as =
someone said it should.<o:p></o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal>Thanks!<br>Karl<o:p></o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_000_0001_01D9A85B.EC9B95D0--

--===============2368811910669030183==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============2368811910669030183==--