Subject: [Spridgets] gearbox issue torque spec

From: Mike Rambour via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2022 16:48:42 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0153947194005661801==
 boundary="------------y1vH85r9W77Yc88rnYUV4pYr"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------y1vH85r9W77Yc88rnYUV4pYr
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

  Hi,

  My gearbox works fine, shifts fine, etc. but developed a knock. I 
removed it and found the front cover plate by the input shaft broken, 
removed the front cover and found the nut had worked loose, tore up the 
front cover.

  I am hoping that is all that is wrong with the gearbox, I have gone 
through the Haynes and can't find a torque spec for it, I did find 
"Drive Nut 90-100" but is that this nut highlighted in the picture below 
(I hope it comes through) ?

  Last question is, can I put the thing in gear, protect the output 
shaft splines on the other end in a vice and torque this down (and I 
have a new tab to bend over the nut, the old one looks pretty bad) or 
will I damage something in the gearbox ? I really don't want to 
dismantle the gearbox if that is all that is wrong it.  I am going to 
assume that if the gearbox can't handle me torquing this nut down, it 
could not handle the stresses of being driven on the road, especially 
with hard downshifts, but never hurts to ask.

     mike

-- 
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.

--------------y1vH85r9W77Yc88rnYUV4pYr
 boundary="------------rEvFvCLQA202WwMNY3iigl6G"

--------------rEvFvCLQA202WwMNY3iigl6G
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p> Hi, <br>
    </p>
    <p> My gearbox works fine, shifts fine, etc. but developed a knock. 
      I removed it and found the front cover plate by the input shaft
      broken, removed the front cover and found the nut had worked
      loose, tore up the front cover.  <br>
    </p>
    <p> I am hoping that is all that is wrong with the gearbox, I have
      gone through the Haynes and can't find a torque spec for it, I did
      find "Drive Nut 90-100" but is that this nut highlighted in the
      picture below (I hope it comes through) ?<br>
    </p>
    <p> Last question is, can I put the thing in gear, protect the
      output shaft splines on the other end in a vice and torque this
      down (and I have a new tab to bend over the nut, the old one looks
      pretty bad) or will I damage something in the gearbox ? I really
      don't want to dismantle the gearbox if that is all that is wrong
      it.  I am going to assume that if the gearbox can't handle me
      torquing this nut down, it could not handle the stresses of being
      driven on the road, especially with hard downshifts, but never
      hurts to ask.  <br>
    </p>
    <p>    mike<img src="cid:[email-masked]"
        moz-do-not-send="false"><br>
    </p>
    <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">-- 
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.</pre>
  </body>
</html>
--------------rEvFvCLQA202WwMNY3iigl6G
Content-Disposition: inline; filename="IMG_4764.jpg"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--------------rEvFvCLQA202WwMNY3iigl6G--

--------------y1vH85r9W77Yc88rnYUV4pYr--

--===============0153947194005661801==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============0153947194005661801==--