Subject: [Spridgets] SU fuel pump curiosity?

From: crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 20:20:58 +0000 (UTC)

--===============6707676117175372769==
	boundary="----=_Part_2431395_758802219.1637094058872"

------=_Part_2431395_758802219.1637094058872
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Working with an original never apart ( other than to check the points) SU f=
uel pump that seems to "tick" extremely slow.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Most of my experi=
ence has been they tick rapidly up to building pressure and then slow down =
to an every so often rate of making their tick sound.Now!=C2=A0 =C2=A0Befor=
e everyone jumps in with replace it...this is not an option .=C2=A0 =C2=A0T=
he car I am working on is a 1962 Saab 96 with less than 10,000 miles on it =
and the car is incredibly original.=C2=A0 =C2=A0Saab mounted the pump right=
 up in the engine compartment in plain sight!=C2=A0 =C2=A0It needs to stay =
there for obvious originality's sake.I am suspecting the diaphragm has hard=
ened and is slowing down the pumps ability to run at the speed I am familia=
r with.So , whatcha think?=C2=A0 =C2=A0Replace the diaphragm and move onwar=
d with bringing this car back to life?ChuckGotta keep you all thinking!Wait=
 until you see what's next on the list of odd and interesting cars here!
------=_Part_2431395_758802219.1637094058872
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div class=3D"ydpddef915byahoo-style-wrap" style=
=3D"font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:16px=
;"><div>Working with an original never apart ( other than to check the poin=
ts) SU fuel pump that seems to "tick" extremely slow.&nbsp; &nbsp;Most of m=
y experience has been they tick rapidly up to building pressure and then sl=
ow down to an every so often rate of making their tick sound.</div><div>Now=
!&nbsp; &nbsp;Before everyone jumps in with replace it...this is not an opt=
ion .&nbsp; &nbsp;The car I am working on is a 1962 Saab 96 with less than =
10,000 miles on it and the car is incredibly original.&nbsp; &nbsp;Saab mou=
nted the pump right up in the engine compartment in plain sight!&nbsp; &nbs=
p;It needs to stay there for obvious originality's sake.</div><div>I am sus=
pecting the diaphragm has hardened and is slowing down the pumps ability to=
 run at the speed I am familiar with.</div><div>So , whatcha think?&nbsp; &=
nbsp;Replace the diaphragm and move onward with bringing this car back to l=
ife?</div><div>Chuck</div><div>Gotta keep you all thinking!</div><div>Wait =
until you see what's next on the list of odd and interesting cars here!</di=
v></div></body></html>
------=_Part_2431395_758802219.1637094058872--

--===============6707676117175372769==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============6707676117175372769==--

---

From: David Ambrose via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2021 13:21:59 -0800

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4282139909346833681==
 boundary="------------xXEy5kIi0o1HmlLny9njPWQC"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------xXEy5kIi0o1HmlLny9njPWQC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I'd replace it. I've had diaphragms harden on me like that. I opted to 
replace the fuel pump, but replacing the diaphragm is a perfectly good 
alternative.

On 11/16/2021 12:20 PM, crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets wrote:
> Working with an original never apart ( other than to check the points) 
> SU fuel pump that seems to "tick" extremely slow.  Most of my 
> experience has been they tick rapidly up to building pressure and then 
> slow down to an every so often rate of making their tick sound.
> Now!   Before everyone jumps in with replace it...this is not an 
> option .   The car I am working on is a 1962 Saab 96 with less than 
> 10,000 miles on it and the car is incredibly original.   Saab mounted 
> the pump right up in the engine compartment in plain sight!   It needs 
> to stay there for obvious originality's sake.
> I am suspecting the diaphragm has hardened and is slowing down the 
> pumps ability to run at the speed I am familiar with.
> So , whatcha think?   Replace the diaphragm and move onward with 
> bringing this car back to life?
> Chuck
> Gotta keep you all thinking!
> Wait until you see what's next on the list of odd and interesting cars 
> here!
>
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate:http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive:http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets   http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
--------------xXEy5kIi0o1HmlLny9njPWQC
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>I'd replace it. I've had diaphragms harden on me like that. I
      opted to replace the fuel pump, but replacing the diaphragm is a
      perfectly good alternative. <br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 11/16/2021 12:20 PM,
      crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
      cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div class="ydpddef915byahoo-style-wrap"
        style="font-family:Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial,
        sans-serif;font-size:16px;">
        <div>Working with an original never apart ( other than to check
          the points) SU fuel pump that seems to "tick" extremely slow. 
           Most of my experience has been they tick rapidly up to
          building pressure and then slow down to an every so often rate
          of making their tick sound.</div>
        <div>Now!   Before everyone jumps in with replace it...this is
          not an option .   The car I am working on is a 1962 Saab 96
          with less than 10,000 miles on it and the car is incredibly
          original.   Saab mounted the pump right up in the engine
          compartment in plain sight!   It needs to stay there for
          obvious originality's sake.</div>
        <div>I am suspecting the diaphragm has hardened and is slowing
          down the pumps ability to run at the speed I am familiar with.</div>
        <div>So , whatcha think?   Replace the diaphragm and move onward
          with bringing this car back to life?</div>
        <div>Chuck</div>
        <div>Gotta keep you all thinking!</div>
        <div>Wait until you see what's next on the list of odd and
          interesting cars here!</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">------------------------

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>
--------------xXEy5kIi0o1HmlLny9njPWQC--

--===============4282139909346833681==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============4282139909346833681==--