Subject: [Spridgets] Aluminum Radiators

From: Michael MacLean via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 09:34:32 -0700

--===============1106422826299735604==

--00000000000007144405c0e2b911

     My Bugeye has been running hot in any ambient temperature over 80
degrees lately.  I have the original radiator that was re-cored with an OEM
type core almost 25 years ago.  I have been leaning towards getting an
aluminum radiator.  Moss sells a two row aluminum radiator for $300.  You
can get a Chinese made Bugeye type radiator on Fleabay for $165 with free
shipping.  Nevermind the fact Moss charges a $10 oversize fee on top of a
shipping charge of $27 and then of course California has to get their cut
($24).  It adds up.
     A call to Moss just now was not all that helpful.  I was told that all
they know is their aluminum radiator comes from Moss Europe.  Other than
that, they have no idea country of manufacture.  Since both radiators are
just about the same in construction and core size I am not sure what to do
here.  With Frank's words on Chinese made crap echoing in my head might I
be better off getting my original radiator re-cored with an up to date core
that will have more cooling fin area?  Do the aluminum radiators make that
much difference?
Mike MacLean

--00000000000007144405c0e2b911
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0My Bugeye has been running hot in any=
 ambient temperature over 80 degrees lately.=C2=A0 I have the original radi=
ator that was re-cored with an OEM type core almost 25 years ago.=C2=A0 I h=
ave been leaning towards getting an aluminum radiator.=C2=A0 Moss sells a t=
wo row aluminum radiator for $300.=C2=A0 You can get a Chinese made Bugeye =
type radiator on Fleabay for $165 with free shipping.=C2=A0 Nevermind the f=
act Moss charges a $10 oversize fee on top of a shipping charge of $27 and =
then of course California has to get their cut ($24).=C2=A0 It adds up.=C2=
=A0=C2=A0<div dir=3D"auto">=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0A call to Moss just now was =
not all that helpful.=C2=A0 I was told that all they know is their aluminum=
 radiator comes from Moss Europe.=C2=A0 Other than that, they have no idea =
country of manufacture.=C2=A0 Since both radiators are just about the same =
in construction and core size I am not sure what to do here.=C2=A0 With Fra=
nk&#39;s words on Chinese made crap echoing in my head might I be better of=
f getting my original radiator re-cored with an up to date core that will h=
ave more cooling fin area?=C2=A0 Do the aluminum radiators make that much d=
ifference?</div><div dir=3D"auto">Mike MacLean</div></div>

--00000000000007144405c0e2b911--

--===============1106422826299735604==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============1106422826299735604==--

---

From: Rick Fisk via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:53:41 -0400

I have a Ron Davis downflow radiator on my race Bugeye and it works great.  But they are like $600 new.  I bought a Chinese made aluminum radiator for my street Midget a few years ago on ebay and it cost me $145.95 delivered to my door.  It fit perfectly and worked great too.  Despite what Frank used to say not all Chinese stuff is bad.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Chinese made radiator on ebay.  

Rick

> On Apr 26, 2021, at 1:36 PM, Ron Soave via Spridgets <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> It’ll make a huge difference, but it shouldn’t be getting hot at anything much below 95F (I keep a midget in Florida, and it only sees summer days; it didn’t overheat even when the water pump was failing. I have a stock radiator but it IS in perfect condition). Check the usual issues? Thermostat, timing, etc? Ron Davis makes aluminum works of art with commensurate price tags but they are the best and drop right in. I have used both his downflow and cross flow designs. See attached for material comparisons - 
> 
> Ron Soave
> 
> 
>> On Apr 26, 2021, at 11:35 AM, Michael MacLean via Spridgets <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>>     My Bugeye has been running hot in any ambient temperature over 80 degrees lately.  I have the original radiator that was re-cored with an OEM type core almost 25 years ago.  I have been leaning towards getting an aluminum radiator.  Moss sells a two row aluminum radiator for $300.  You can get a Chinese made Bugeye type radiator on Fleabay for $165 with free shipping.  Nevermind the fact Moss charges a $10 oversize fee on top of a shipping charge of $27 and then of course California has to get their cut ($24).  It adds up.  
>>     A call to Moss just now was not all that helpful.  I was told that all they know is their aluminum radiator comes from Moss Europe.  Other than that, they have no idea country of manufacture.  Since both radiators are just about the same in construction and core size I am not sure what to do here.  With Frank's words on Chinese made crap echoing in my head might I be better off getting my original radiator re-cored with an up to date core that will have more cooling fin area?  Do the aluminum radiators make that much difference?
>> Mike MacLean
>> ------------------------
>> 
>> [email-masked]
>> 
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>> 
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
> ------------------------
> 
> [email-masked]
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

------------------------

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation: $12.75

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Soave via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:34:55 -0500

Your Ron Davis radiator was in a rollover that left it looking like a parallelogram and the welds have held. Buy American and pay for the quality, dammit! Chinese low volume stuff isn’t repeatable quality, as we all know.  

Ron Soave

> On Apr 26, 2021, at 12:53 PM, Rick Fisk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:29:39 -0400

Yep, and it will be racing again next Saturday at Gingerman Raceway.   :-)   It was de-parallelogramed three years ago and doesn't leak a drop with a 13 psi cap.  But if it dies it will most likely be replaced with Chinese because of this pensioner's budget constraints.

> On Apr 26, 2021, at 2:35 PM, Ron Soave <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Soave via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 15:28:13 -0500

I can hook you up with an American made one for Chinese money! I’ll splain in person. Hahnemann had an “oops.”

Ron Soave

> On Apr 26, 2021, at 2:29 PM, Rick Fisk <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Mark Haynes via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 14:20:42 -0600

--===============9010768842893285165==

--000000000000c13d9e05c0f9ff90
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Mike-
I had my spare BE radiator boiled, painted and pressure tested when I had
the Mustang's done, IIRC, it was $250 for both radiators. Now the BE runs
at 190=C2=B0F even coming up the canyon behind the tourist bozos. I'd not r=
ecore
until it was checked out for crud, my radiator guy said that he flushed
quite a bit of gunk out of both radiators, plus they are both still factory
correct.
Now we'll see what happens when I put a HO 948 into it, I already have an
electric fan on standby.
Mark Haynes
It only goes one way- Pay It Forward

--000000000000c13d9e05c0f9ff90
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Mike-</div><div>I had my spare BE radiator boiled, pa=
inted and pressure tested when I had the Mustang&#39;s done, IIRC, it was $=
250 for both radiators. Now the BE runs at 190=C2=B0F even coming up the ca=
nyon behind the tourist bozos. I&#39;d not recore until it was checked out =
for crud, my radiator guy said that he flushed quite a bit of gunk out of b=
oth radiators, plus they are both still factory correct.</div><div>Now we&#=
39;ll see what happens when I put a HO 948 into it, I already have an elect=
ric fan on standby.<br></div><div><div><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_sign=
ature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div>Mark Haynes=
<br></div>It only goes one way- Pay It Forward<br></div></div></div></div><=
/div>

--000000000000c13d9e05c0f9ff90--

--===============9010768842893285165==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============9010768842893285165==--