Subject: [Spridgets] Battery clamp bolts - J style in stainless

From: Weslake1330 via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 17:21:02 +0100

--===============2308889418473337668==

--000000000000a723be05c07df3ba

Hi list,

Just fitted a new battery to my Sprite (only took twenty minutes).  The old
battery was 7 years old on a 5-year guarantee and was less than willing to
start my Sprite's engine at the weekend, though did manage it.  So, I
figured it was time to fit a new one.

I noticed the clamps are scruffy and I thought I'd like to replace them
with something similar in stainless steel (I'm assuming they would be
strong enough not to fail in tension).  The clamps may or may not be the
original 1969 ones but are about 4.5 inches end to end (could be shortened
slightly) and 5/16 UNCoarse thread.

Ebay and google reveal that this side of the pond you only get what I want
in Metric thread and I try not to have anything metric on the car if I can
help it.  So has anyone bought something similar in 5/16 stainless for
their Sprite/Midget and wouldn't mind buying a couple more and posting them
to me (I can pay by paypal?)  Alternatively any views on how easy it would
be to heat and bend stainless rod/bar with a soldering blow lamp (because
that's all I have!)?  I have threaded stainless rod/bar before but only in
a smaller diameter when I made handbrake rods so figure I manage it with a
single die (new and of good quality).

Thanks

Daniel

--000000000000a723be05c07df3ba
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hi list,<div><br></div><div>Just fitted a new battery to m=
y Sprite (only took twenty minutes).=C2=A0 The old battery was 7 years old =
on a 5-year guarantee and was less than willing to start my Sprite&#39;s en=
gine at the weekend, though did manage it.=C2=A0 So, I figured it was time =
to fit a new one.</div><div><br></div><div>I noticed the clamps are scruffy=
 and I thought I&#39;d like to replace them with something similar in stain=
less steel (I&#39;m assuming they would be strong enough not to fail in ten=
sion).=C2=A0 The clamps may or may not be the original 1969 ones but are ab=
out 4.5 inches end to end (could be shortened slightly) and 5/16 UNCoarse t=
hread.</div><div><br></div><div>Ebay and google reveal that this side of th=
e pond you only get what I want in Metric thread and I try not to have anyt=
hing metric on the car if I can help it.=C2=A0 So has anyone bought somethi=
ng similar in 5/16 stainless for their Sprite/Midget and wouldn&#39;t mind =
buying a couple more and posting them to me (I can pay by paypal?)=C2=A0 Al=
ternatively any views on how easy it would be to heat and bend stainless ro=
d/bar with a soldering blow lamp (because that&#39;s all I have!)?=C2=A0 I =
have threaded stainless rod/bar before but only in a smaller diameter when =
I made handbrake rods so figure I manage it with a single die (new and of g=
ood quality).</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks</div><div><br></div><div><br>=
</div><div>Daniel</div></div>

--000000000000a723be05c07df3ba--

--===============2308889418473337668==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============2308889418473337668==--