Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Rustproofing sandblasted metal

From: David Ambrose via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:26:10 -0700

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============7263065783392529019==
 boundary="------------A38F19D04398821D0112A0E5"
Content-Language: en-US

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------A38F19D04398821D0112A0E5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

I would get some good, oil-based or lacquer primer on them as soon as 
you get them sandblasted. Follow that up with a couple coats of a good 
oil-based enamel, and you should be good for a good long time.

On 9/10/2020 10:57 AM, Robert Weeks via Spridgets wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was finally able to track down a decent set of seat frames for the 
> Midget that my son has been working on. The old ones were rusted through.
>
> After we sandblast these, what is the best way to attempt to rust 
> proof them? Since the backs of the frames set basically against the 
> floor or carpeting, they are very prone to rust through. I know that 
> nothing will totally stop rust, but what are the best products to help 
> these last for as long as possible? I remember POR 15 from back when I 
> was working on cars, but that had mixed reviews. I see Eastwood now 
> has a bunch of different rust encapsulating and coating products and I 
> guess there is powdercoating but my wife might not like me suing our 
> oven for that.
>
> In any event, what are people using nowadays for this? Is there any 
> product or solution that is clearly better than the others?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert
>
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

--------------A38F19D04398821D0112A0E5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>I would get some good, oil-based or lacquer primer on them as
      soon as you get them sandblasted. Follow that up with a couple
      coats of a good oil-based enamel, and you should be good for a
      good long time. <br>
    </p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/10/2020 10:57 AM, Robert Weeks via
      Spridgets wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:[email-masked]">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="ltr">Hi All,
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>I was finally able to track down a decent set of seat
          frames for the Midget that my son has been working on. The old
          ones were rusted through. <br>
          <br>
          After we sandblast these, what is the best way to attempt to
          rust proof them? Since the backs of the frames set basically
          against the floor or carpeting, they are very prone to rust
          through. I know that nothing will totally stop rust, but what
          are the best products to help these last for as long as
          possible? I remember POR 15 from back when I was working on
          cars, but that had mixed reviews. I see Eastwood now has a
          bunch of different rust encapsulating and coating products and
          I guess there is powdercoating but my wife might not like me
          suing our oven for that.<br>
          <br>
          In any event, what are people using nowadays for this? Is
          there any product or solution that is clearly better than the
          others?<br>
          <br>
          Thanks,<br>
          <br>
          Robert</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">------------------------

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://autox.team.net/archive">http://autox.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>

--------------A38F19D04398821D0112A0E5--

--===============7263065783392529019==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============7263065783392529019==--

---

From: Mark J Bradakis via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 14:37:16 -0600

Back in the day when I was actively doing car stuff, PPG had an epoxy 
based, I think, primer called DP40.  Actually, DP?? for various 
different colors, I think at one point point I had the blue, gray, light 
yellow and rust red colors on hand.  It was great stuff, expensive, 
professional grade, but most likely overkill for a couple of seat 
frames.  Your best bet might be Rustoleum rattle cans.

mjb.

------------------------

[email-masked]

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

---

From: Robert Weeks via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 11:17:30 -0400

--===============8070279005220773849==

--000000000000ae840405af0b2f8d

Thanks David and Mark,

I think I'm going to go with a 2k epoxy primer from Eastwood. It doesn't
cost much more than rustoleum and should protect better. I can do the
sandblasting and spraying here.

Surprisingly, seat frames have become pretty hard to track down. It took me
a few months to find these and they weren't cheap. My main concern is to
make sure they last, since in another 5 - 10 years they will be even harder
to find if these rust out. I remember back when I was doing this 20 years
ago, I could find complete parts cars for under $100 around here. I had 4
in my backyard at one point. Now people want $1000 for a stripped, rusted
out rolling chassis. I wish I still had some of those parts cars. There
were probably some good seat frames in there ;-)

Thanks again,

Robert

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 4:37 PM Mark J Bradakis via Spridgets <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

--000000000000ae840405af0b2f8d
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><br clear=3D"all"><div><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_sig=
nature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><div>Thanks David and Mark,</div=
><div><br></div><div>I think I&#39;m going to go with a 2k epoxy primer fro=
m Eastwood. It doesn&#39;t cost much more than rustoleum and should protect=
 better. I can do the sandblasting and spraying here.<br><br>Surprisingly, =
seat frames have become pretty hard to track down. It took me a few months =
to find these and they weren&#39;t cheap. My main concern is to make sure t=
hey last, since in another 5 - 10 years they will be even harder to find if=
 these rust out. I remember back when I was doing this 20 years ago, I coul=
d find complete parts cars for under $100 around here. I had 4 in my backya=
rd at one point. Now people want $1000 for a stripped, rusted out rolling c=
hassis. I wish I still had some of those parts cars. There were probably so=
me good seat frames in there ;-)<br><br>Thanks again,</div><div><br></div><=
div>Robert</div><div><br></div></div></div><br></div><br><div class=3D"gmai=
l_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 4:37=
 PM Mark J Bradakis via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
m.net">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=
=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rg=
b(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Back in the day when I was actively doing =
car stuff, PPG had an epoxy <br>
based, I think, primer called DP40.=C2=A0 Actually, DP?? for various <br>
different colors, I think at one point point I had the blue, gray, light <b=
r>
yellow and rust red colors on hand.=C2=A0 It was great stuff, expensive, <b=
r>
professional grade, but most likely overkill for a couple of seat <br>
frames.=C2=A0 Your best bet might be Rustoleum rattle cans.<br>
<br>
mjb.<br>
<br>
<br>
------------------------<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank">spridgets@aut=
ox.team.net</a><br>
<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets" rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</a>=C2=A0 <a=
 href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=
">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
ets/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://a=
utox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--000000000000ae840405af0b2f8d--

--===============8070279005220773849==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============8070279005220773849==--

---

From: Neil Anderson via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 11:17:47 -0500

--===============8191448219420364577==

--00000000000012a18c05af0c0758

You can also get etch primer in a spray can from auto parts stores that
sell paint.
Fastenal used to sell a zinc based primer.

Top coat with with a good enamel in preferred gloss level as others have
mentioned.

Neil Anderson

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020, 3:37 PM Mark J Bradakis via Spridgets <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

--00000000000012a18c05af0c0758
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"auto">You can also get etch primer in a spray can from auto par=
ts stores that sell paint.<div dir=3D"auto">Fastenal used to sell a zinc ba=
sed primer.</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Top coat wit=
h with a good enamel in preferred gloss level as others have mentioned.<div=
 dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto">Neil Anderson=C2=A0</div></div></=
div><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On=
 Thu, Sep 10, 2020, 3:37 PM Mark J Bradakis via Spridgets &lt;<a href=3D"ma=
ilto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:<br><=
/div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-le=
ft:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">Back in the day when I was actively doi=
ng car stuff, PPG had an epoxy <br>
based, I think, primer called DP40.=C2=A0 Actually, DP?? for various <br>
different colors, I think at one point point I had the blue, gray, light <b=
r>
yellow and rust red colors on hand.=C2=A0 It was great stuff, expensive, <b=
r>
professional grade, but most likely overkill for a couple of seat <br>
frames.=C2=A0 Your best bet might be Rustoleum rattle cans.<br>
<br>
mjb.<br>
<br>
<br>
------------------------<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"norefe=
rrer">[email-masked]</a><br>
<br>
errer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets" rel=3D"norefer=
rer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets</=
a>=C2=A0 <a href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer norefe=
rrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>
<br>
ets/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank=
">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]</=
a><br>
</blockquote></div>

--00000000000012a18c05af0c0758--

--===============8191448219420364577==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============8191448219420364577==--