Subject: [Spridgets] Trunk lid hinges ?

From: crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 02:02:51 -0400

--===============9132569601276685749==
	boundary="--_com.lge.email_586117986309680"

----_com.lge.email_586117986309680
   charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Try to not ramble..too much.Before the Midget got painted , the trunk lid was not bolted on the hinges.  I simply put it on the car and it fit all the way around with no high or low spots.  Fast forward.  Painted the car with trunk lid off & painted the lid separately.    Paint dries and I bolt the lid on and put a new weatherstrip on the body .   close the lid and it fits the opening but sits high on the left side.  Today I had the car outside and I was checking my completed work on the fabrication and installation of the fuel cell and noticed something I never saw before.  The left hinge is shimmed which would move it downward .   I never saw a spridget trunk hinge shimmed.   Now I am wondering if it needs more shims to drop the left side of the lid down to fit thr opening it fit before being bolted to the hinges.   Has anyone had to shim a trunk hinge before?Yes the car has the telescopic support.  And up to today I had guessed I have a bent car from someone trying to close the trunk lid without releasing the support.  Now after seeing the left hinge shimmed , I am wondering if it's a shim problem not a bent car body or trunk lid.1 more thing!  The lid that is on the car is not the lid that was with / on the car when Frank bought it.  That lid had too much damage to attempt using.   Thoughts?  Ideas?   It would be nice if the left side of the lid sat down like it did before I bolted it to the hinges....ChuckSent from my LG Mobile
----_com.lge.email_586117986309680
   charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html><head>

</head>
<body>
    <div style="font-size: 10pt;"><div dir="auto">Try to not ramble..too much.</div><div dir="auto">Before the Midget got painted , the trunk lid was not bolted on the hinges.&nbsp; I simply put it on the car and it fit all the way around with no high or low spots.&nbsp; Fast forward.&nbsp; Painted the car with trunk lid off &amp; painted the lid separately.&nbsp; &nbsp; Paint dries and I bolt the lid on and put a new weatherstrip on the body .&nbsp; &nbsp;close the lid and it fits the opening but sits high on the left side.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir="auto">Today I had the car outside and I was checking my completed work on the fabrication and installation of the fuel cell and noticed something I never saw before.&nbsp; The left hinge is shimmed which would move it downward .&nbsp; &nbsp;I never saw a spridget trunk hinge shimmed.&nbsp; &nbsp;Now I am wondering if it needs more shims to drop the left side of the lid down to fit thr opening it fit before being bolted to the hinges.&nbsp; &nbsp;</div><div dir="auto">Has anyone had to shim a trunk hinge before?</div><div dir="auto">Yes the car has the telescopic support.&nbsp; And up to today I had guessed I have a bent car from someone trying to close the trunk lid without releasing the support.&nbsp; Now after seeing the left hinge shimmed , I am wondering if it's a shim problem not a bent car body or trunk lid.</div><div dir="auto">1 more thing!&nbsp; The lid that is on the car is not the lid that was with / on the car when Frank bought it.&nbsp; That lid had too much damage to attempt using.&nbsp; &nbsp;</div><div dir="auto">Thoughts?&nbsp; Ideas?&nbsp; &nbsp;It would be nice if the left side of the lid sat down like it did before I bolted it to the hinges....</div><div dir="auto">Chuck</div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div dir="auto"><br></div><div><div dir="auto" style="font-size:9pt;"><i>Sent from my LG Mobile</i></div></div></div>

</body></html>
----_com.lge.email_586117986309680--

--===============9132569601276685749==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============9132569601276685749==--

---

From: Rick Fisk via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 09:27:19 -0400

--===============1971196942141615243==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-31F44D38-72C0-4861-BCCC-F0B2B5DED5A8
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Chuck,

The hinge on the left is bent and the shim is an attempt to fix it.  Like yo=
u suspect, someone tried to close the lid without releasing the lid support.=
  I have fixed this issue on two Midgets with this procedure - open the latc=
h, stand on the left side of the car and raise the lid a few inches with you=
r right hand.  Hold the lid open with your right hand and with the palm of y=
our left hand push down on the lid sharply right at the left hinge location.=
  Do this a few times and you can get the hinge to bend back to the proper s=
hape.

Rick

Sent from my keyboard

> On Apr 29, 2020, at 2:03 AM, crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets <spridgets@a=
utox.team.net> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> Try to not ramble..too much.
> Before the Midget got painted , the trunk lid was not bolted on the hinges=
.  I simply put it on the car and it fit all the way around with no high or l=
ow spots.  Fast forward.  Painted the car with trunk lid off & painted the l=
id separately.    Paint dries and I bolt the lid on and put a new weatherstr=
ip on the body .   close the lid and it fits the opening but sits high on th=
e left side. =20
> Today I had the car outside and I was checking my completed work on the fa=
brication and installation of the fuel cell and noticed something I never sa=
w before.  The left hinge is shimmed which would move it downward .   I neve=
r saw a spridget trunk hinge shimmed.   Now I am wondering if it needs more s=
hims to drop the left side of the lid down to fit thr opening it fit before b=
eing bolted to the hinges.&nb sp; =20
> Has anyone had to shim a trunk hinge before?
> Yes the car has the telescopic support.  And up to today I had guessed I h=
ave a bent car from someone trying to close the trunk lid without releasing t=
he support.  Now after seeing the left hinge shimmed , I am wondering if it'=
s a shim problem not a bent car body or trunk lid.
> 1 more thing!  The lid that is on the car is not the lid that was with / o=
n the car when Frank bought it.  That lid had too much damage to attempt usi=
ng.  =20
> Thoughts?  Ideas?   It would be nice if the left side of the lid sat down l=
ike it did before I bolted it to the hinges....
> Chuck
>=20
>=20
> Sent from my LG Mobile
>=20

--Apple-Mail-31F44D38-72C0-4861-BCCC-F0B2B5DED5A8
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"content-type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3D=
utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Chuck,<div><br></div><div>The hinge on the l=
eft is bent and the shim is an attempt to fix it. &nbsp;Like you suspect, so=
meone tried to close the lid without releasing the lid support. &nbsp;I have=
 fixed this issue on two Midgets with this procedure - open the latch, stand=
 on the left side of the car and raise the lid a few inches with your right h=
and. &nbsp;Hold the lid open with your right hand and with the palm of your l=
eft hand push down on the lid sharply right at the left hinge location. &nbs=
p;Do this a few times and you can get the hinge to bend back to the proper s=
hape.</div><div><br></div><div>Rick<br><br><div dir=3D"ltr">Sent from my key=
board</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br><blockquote type=3D"cite">On Apr 29, 2020, a=
t 2:03 AM, crusaderchuck55--- via Spridgets &lt;[email-masked]&gt;=
 wrote:<br><br></blockquote></div><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div dir=3D"ltr"=
>=EF=BB=BF

    <div style=3D"font-size: 10pt;"><div dir=3D"auto">Try to not ramble..too=
 much.</div><div dir=3D"auto">Before the Midget got painted , the trunk lid w=
as not bolted on the hinges.&nbsp; I simply put it on the car and it fit all=
 the way around with no high or low spots.&nbsp; Fast forward.&nbsp; Painted=
 the car with trunk lid off &amp; painted the lid separately.&nbsp; &nbsp; P=
aint dries and I bolt the lid on and put a new weatherstrip on the body .&nb=
sp; &nbsp;close the lid and it fits the opening but sits high on the left si=
de.&nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto">Today I had the car outside and I was=
 checking my completed work on the fabrication and installation of the fuel c=
ell and noticed something I never saw before.&nbsp; The left hinge is shimme=
d which would move it downward .&nbsp; &nbsp;I never saw a spridget trunk hi=
nge shimmed.&nbsp; &nbsp;Now I am wondering if it needs more shims to drop t=
he left side of the lid down to fit thr opening it fit before being bolted t=
o the hinges.&amp;nb
 sp; &nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"auto">Has anyone had to shim a trunk hinge befo=
re?</div><div dir=3D"auto">Yes the car has the telescopic support.&nbsp; And=
 up to today I had guessed I have a bent car from someone trying to close th=
e trunk lid without releasing the support.&nbsp; Now after seeing the left h=
inge shimmed , I am wondering if it's a shim problem not a bent car body or t=
runk lid.</div><div dir=3D"auto">1 more thing!&nbsp; The lid that is on the c=
ar is not the lid that was with / on the car when Frank bought it.&nbsp; Tha=
t lid had too much damage to attempt using.&nbsp; &nbsp;</div><div dir=3D"au=
to">Thoughts?&nbsp; Ideas?&nbsp; &nbsp;It would be nice if the left side of t=
he lid sat down like it did before I bolted it to the hinges....</div><div d=
ir=3D"auto">Chuck</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></div><div dir=3D"auto"><br></d=
iv><div><div dir=3D"auto" style=3D"font-size:9pt;"><i>Sent from my LG Mobile=
</i></div></div></div>

<span>------------------------</span><br><br></div></blockquote></div></body=
></html>=

--Apple-Mail-31F44D38-72C0-4861-BCCC-F0B2B5DED5A8--

--===============1971196942141615243==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============1971196942141615243==--