Subject: [Spridgets] BMC / Spridget parts identification

From: Mark Haynes via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 08:04:51 -0700

--===============0912739936888153872==

--000000000000e0c86f059686a350

The 12G295 head is indeed a 1098 head, it is also a good head to USE on a
948 as it has larger valves and the lower combustion chamber volume to
start with, and it was used at some point on the 998 Cooper. This is one of
the three preferred heads for a performance 948 as there is less work to be
done to unshroud the valves.
Mark Haynes
It only goes one way- Pay It Forward

A long time ago in a far away galaxy...( oops!? Wrong story!)Ok yes a long
time ago I was deeply involved in the early days of what became the 55-57
Chevy craze.? Where this is going is I'm having difficulty decoding and
understanding casting dates or codes and some contrary casting number
aplication references in order to understand some of what I've required
over the years.? ?In the general motors world every casting not only had a
raised part number but also a casting date.? You knew you had a February
1955 intake manifold by the part number and the casting date.?Yesterday I
found a 12G295 bare ( kinda rusty too!) Cylinder head in some forgotten
stuff.One site states it's a 1100 MG head , another states it is a 998
Cooper head AND yet another states its a good 948 head without refrence to
its original intended application be it a specific displacement motor OR a
spread of ( start to end of use?) Application years .? ALSO I'm finding
references to "home market" & " export market".?
  ?So it starts with a "12G" does that denote 1275 original application??
Is it indeed a 1098/1100 head ( I may need a 1098 head?) ?Im a lot behind
in the decoding of these items.? I simply used what I had years ago..Thank
you!!ChuckSent from my LG Mobile

--000000000000e0c86f059686a350
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">The 12G295 head is indeed a 1098 head, it is also a good h=
ead to USE on a 948 as it has larger valves and the lower combustion chambe=
r volume to start with, and it was used at some point on the 998 Cooper. Th=
is is one of the three preferred heads for a performance 948 as there is le=
ss work to be done to unshroud the valves.<br clear=3D"all"><div><div><div =
dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature"><d=
iv dir=3D"ltr"><div>Mark Haynes<br></div>It only goes one way- Pay It Forwa=
rd</div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br></div><div dir=3D"ltr"><br>
A long time ago in a far away galaxy...( oops!? Wrong story!)Ok yes a=20
long time ago I was deeply involved in the early days of what became the
 55-57 Chevy craze.? Where this is going is I&#39;m having difficulty=20
decoding and understanding casting dates or codes and some contrary=20
casting number aplication references in order to understand some of what
 I&#39;ve required over the years.? ?In the general motors world every=20
casting not only had a raised part number but also a casting date.? You=20
knew you had a February 1955 intake manifold by the part number and the=20
casting date.?Yesterday I found a 12G295 bare ( kinda rusty too!)=20
Cylinder head in some forgotten stuff.One site states it&#39;s a 1100 MG=20
head , another states it is a 998 Cooper head AND yet another states its
 a good 948 head without refrence to its original intended application=20
be it a specific displacement motor OR a spread of ( start to end of=20
use?) Application years .? ALSO I&#39;m finding references to &quot;home ma=
rket&quot;=20
&amp; &quot; export market&quot;.?<br>
=C2=A0 ?So it starts with a &quot;12G&quot; does that denote 1275 original=
=20
application?? Is it indeed a 1098/1100 head ( I may need a 1098 head?)=20
?Im a lot behind in the decoding of these items.? I simply used what I=20
had years ago..Thank you!!ChuckSent from my LG Mobile

</div></div></div></div></div>

--000000000000e0c86f059686a350--

--===============0912739936888153872==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

--===============0912739936888153872==--