Subject: Re: [Spridgets] BMC / Spridget parts identification

From: Ron Soave via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 16:48:15 -0600

I think I have a few I’d sell cheeeep. 

I also have a no-shit 105 hp 948, billet crank, Carillo rods, Bauchmann head/cam/SUs, dry sump, aluminum flywheel, chilled rockets, JE pistons... best of everything, dry sump ($1000 pump alone) dyno time only I’ll sell not cheap. 

Ron Soave

> On Nov 4, 2019, at 9:05 AM, Mark Haynes via Spridgets <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> 
> The 12G295 head is indeed a 1098 head, it is also a good head to USE on a 948 as it has larger valves and the lower combustion chamber volume to start with, and it was used at some point on the 998 Cooper. This is one of the three preferred heads for a performance 948 as there is less work to be done to unshroud the valves.
> Mark Haynes
> It only goes one way- Pay It Forward
> 
> 
> A long time ago in a far away galaxy...( oops!? Wrong story!)Ok yes a long time ago I was deeply involved in the early days of what became the 55-57 Chevy craze.? Where this is going is I'm having difficulty decoding and understanding casting dates or codes and some contrary casting number aplication references in order to understand some of what I've required over the years.? ?In the general motors world every casting not only had a raised part number but also a casting date.? You knew you had a February 1955 intake manifold by the part number and the casting date.?Yesterday I found a 12G295 bare ( kinda rusty too!) Cylinder head in some forgotten stuff.One site states it's a 1100 MG head , another states it is a 998 Cooper head AND yet another states its a good 948 head without refrence to its original intended application be it a specific displacement motor OR a spread of ( start to end of use?) Application years .? ALSO I'm finding references to "home market" & " export market".?
>   ?So it starts with a "12G" does that denote 1275 original application?? Is it indeed a 1098/1100 head ( I may need a 1098 head?) ?Im a lot behind in the decoding of these items.? I simply used what I had years ago..Thank you!!ChuckSent from my LG Mobile
> ------------------------
> 
> [email-masked]
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
> 
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive
> 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

------------------------

[email-masked]

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation: $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets  http://autox.team.net/archive

Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Soave via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 16:48:15 -0600

Ron Soave

------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 18:12:52 -0500

--Apple-Mail-9EA73B63-CB1E-4EE7-86F4-518F07927CAE
	charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Ron and Chuck,

I could use a new race engine, but can't afford your 948.  Found a kinda sor=
ta race car for sale on FB marketplace. It's a '77 Midget configured with a 9=
48 as an HP racer. ??? Seller included a photo of a receipt for engine servi=
ce from a Fond du Lac machine shop. Look at the very last item in the parts l=
ist.  "Parts from WST."  lol

--Apple-Mail-9EA73B63-CB1E-4EE7-86F4-518F07927CAE
	name=image1.jpeg;
	x-apple-part-url=84A262C7-3334-4599-8E60-01CF0A33EF83
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=image1.jpeg
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

--Apple-Mail-9EA73B63-CB1E-4EE7-86F4-518F07927CAE
	charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Rick

Sent from my keyboard

> On Nov 4, 2019, at 5:48 PM, Ron Soave via Spridgets <[email-masked].=
net> wrote:
>=20
> I think I have a few I=E2=80=99d sell cheeeep.=20
>=20
> I also have a no-shit 105 hp 948, billet crank, Carillo rods, Bauchmann he=
ad/cam/SUs, dry sump, aluminum flywheel, chilled rockets, JE pistons... best=
 of everything, dry sump ($1000 pump alone) dyno time only I=E2=80=99ll sell=
 not cheap.=20
>=20
> Ron Soave
>=20
>> On Nov 4, 2019, at 9:05 AM, Mark Haynes via Spridgets <[email-masked]=
am.net> wrote:
>>=20
>> =EF=BB=BF
>> The 12G295 head is indeed a 1098 head, it is also a good head to USE on a=
 948 as it has larger valves and the lower combustion chamber volume to star=
t with, and it was used at some point on the 998 Cooper. This is one of the t=
hree preferred heads for a performance 948 as there is less work to be done t=
o unshroud the valves.
>>=20
>>=20
>> A long time ago in a far away galaxy...( oops!? Wrong story!)Ok yes a lon=
g time ago I was deeply involved in the early days of what became the 55-57 C=
hevy craze.? Where this is going is I'm having difficulty decoding and under=
standing casting dates or codes and some contrary casting number aplication r=
eferences in order to understand some of what I've required over the years.?=
 ?In the general motors world every casting not only had a raised part numbe=
r but also a casting date.? You knew you had a February 1955 intake manifold=
 by the part number and the casting date.?Yesterday I found a 12G295 bare ( k=
inda rusty too!) Cylinder head in some forgotten stuff.One site states it's a=
 1100 MG head , another states it is a 998 Cooper head AND yet another state=
s its a good 948 head without refrence to its original intended application b=
e it a specific displacement motor OR a spread of ( start to end of use?) Ap=
plication years .? ALSO I'm finding references to "home market" & " export m=
arket".?
>>  ?So it starts with a "12G" does that denote 1275 original application?? I=
s it indeed a 1098/1100 head ( I may need a 1098 head?) ?Im a lot behind in t=
he decoding of these items.? I simply used what I had years ago..Thank you!!=
ChuckSent from my LG Mobile
>>=20

--Apple-Mail-9EA73B63-CB1E-4EE7-86F4-518F07927CAE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail-9EA73B63-CB1E-4EE7-86F4-518F07927CAE--