Subject: [Spridgets] Sprite 60th Road America

From: Don K via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 14:21:17 -0400 boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0041_01D451B6.5C90D3C0"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_001_0042_01D451B6.5C90D3C0"

------=_NextPart_001_0042_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	boundary="----=_NextPart_002_0043_01D451B6.5C90D3C0"

------=_NextPart_002_0043_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Howard ask for a report so here is a quickie. Pics attached.

47 Spridgets entered. 36 (I think) started the Exclusive Spridget Race last
weekend at Road America in celebration of the Sprites 60th Anniversary.
Among the Sprites were 9 running 948's as is my Bugeye. I managed a 3rd
place finish behind a talented driver Chip Starr from Oregon. Buzz
Merchlewitz was top dog among the 948's. Never saw him throughout the race,
he is that fast! Kudos Buzz! Colin Comer was the number one Spridget on this
day at Road America followed by Scott Schmidt  and John Salisbury. 

It was exciting to share the track with 35 other Spridgets. Double the
amount I've ever driven with. Great people, great weather, and great time. 

On Saturday on of the regional Austin Healey Clubs came in and had a Sprite
Car Show next to the Sprite Race Car Compound. I think they had about 20
cars, hopefully someone can give a closer count. They were invited to tour
the Original Road Course on the Streets around Elkhart Lake on the
Reenactment Tour of the original circuit. Followed up by "Gathering On The
Green" that had a lot of gorgeous cars of all kinds. This is held each year
as a part of the Elkhart Lake Vintage Festival held by Vintage Sports Car
Drivers Association (VSCDA).  Peter Egan of Road & Track fame was in the
Reenactment in a very special Sebring Sprite owned and maintained by Wm.
Severin Thompson. He would have to tell you the heritage of this car as I do
not remember, all I do remember is it is quite a rare and special car. 

Sunday the street Sprites were invited to take a parade lap around the Road
America circuit just prior to the start of the Spridget Race. Hopefully
someone involved with the street Sprites will report on their experience. 

My #9 Bugeye ran practice sessions and part of the Enduro Race on Friday.
Saturday it ran qualifying and a Group 2 race that included over 70 field of
sports cars. WOW! At the end of the race I was experiencing shifting
problems. After a quick look inside the inspection hole on top of the bell
housing it was evident the throw out bearing had failed. I went with my wife
and daughter in our 2004 Mini Cooper on the Road America Course Reenactment
followed by the Gathering on the Green and a banquet where Peter Egan was
the keynote speaker. Around 9pm with help from a fellow racer, Severin
Thompson, my dad Jeff Kelly, and my mom Mary Kelly we began disassembly of
#9 to  prepare for an early morning engine trans removal. Left the track at
11 pm. At 6 am I began pulling the engine and trans with the help of the
above folks plus Roger Williams. While apart Roger identified a very slight
twist in the clutch fork between the pivot point and the mount for the throw
out bearing. Making the rounds to find a replacement clutch fork I visited
with several other drivers. Bugeye Dave is my hero, he had a used one and
gave it to me at no charge! Put it all back together with new throw out
bearing and clutch cover and had it running before 10:45. Great work Team!
It may have been earlier. I just missed running in the Kimberly Cup and that
is the only session I missed all weekend. 

Stan Mason deserves a nod for doing much of the work for the past 2 years to
bring all these people with their cars together at Road America. 

Best Wishes, 

Don

Bugeye-Sprite-Photo - Copy

------=_NextPart_002_0043_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html xmlns:v=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" =
xmlns:o=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" =
xmlns:w=3D"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:word" =
xmlns:dt=3D"uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882" =
xmlns:m=3D"http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2004/12/omml" =
xmlns=3D"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"><head><meta name=3D"Microsoft =
Theme 2.00" content=3D"Watermar 111"><meta http-equiv=3DContent-Type =
content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus-ascii"><meta name=3DGenerator =
content=3D"Microsoft Word 14 (filtered medium)"><!--[if =
!mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
</style><![endif]--><style><!--
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Tahoma;
	panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Lucida Handwriting";
	panose-1:3 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;}
h1
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 1 Char";
	margin-top:24.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:16.0pt;
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;}
h2
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 2 Char";
	margin-top:10.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:14.0pt;
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;
	font-weight:normal;}
h3
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 3 Char";
	margin-top:10.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;
	font-weight:normal;}
h4
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 4 Char";
	margin-top:10.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:14.0pt;
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;
	font-weight:normal;}
h5
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 5 Char";
	margin-top:10.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:13.0pt;
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;
	font-weight:normal;}
h6
	{mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 6 Char";
	margin-top:10.0pt;
	margin-right:0in;
	margin-bottom:0in;
	margin-left:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	page-break-after:avoid;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;
	font-weight:normal;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#3333CC;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:#336666;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAcetate, li.MsoAcetate, div.MsoAcetate
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text Char";
	margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:8.0pt;
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	color:windowtext;}
span.Heading1Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 1 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 1";
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;
	font-weight:bold;}
span.Heading2Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 2 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 2";
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;}
span.Heading3Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 3 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 3";
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;}
span.Heading4Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 4 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 4";
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;}
span.Heading5Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 5 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 5";
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;}
span.Heading6Char
	{mso-style-name:"Heading 6 Char";
	mso-style-priority:9;
	mso-style-link:"Heading 6";
	font-family:"Arial","sans-serif";
	color:black;}
span.BalloonTextChar
	{mso-style-name:"Balloon Text Char";
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-link:"Balloon Text";
	font-family:"Tahoma","sans-serif";
	color:black;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";}
@page WordSection1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
</xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--></head><body bgcolor=3Dwhite =
background=3D"cid:[email-masked]" lang=3DEN-US =
link=3D"#3333CC" vlink=3D"#336666"><img =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]" =
v:src=3D"cid:[email-masked]" v:shapes=3D"_x0000_Mail" =
width=3D0 height=3D0 class=3Dshape =
style=3D'display:none;width:0;height:0'><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<v:background id=3D"_x0000_s1025" o:bwmode=3D"white" =
o:targetscreensize=3D"1024,768">
<v:fill src=3D"cid:[email-masked]" o:title=3D"watbkgnd" =
type=3D"frame" />
</v:background></xml><![endif]--><div class=3DWordSection1><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'>Howard ask =
for a report so here is a quickie. Pics =
attached.<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'><o:p>&nbsp;=
</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'>47 =
Spridgets entered. 36 (I think) started the Exclusive Spridget Race last =
weekend at Road America in celebration of the Sprites 60<sup>th</sup> =
Anniversary. Among the Sprites were 9 running 948&#8217;s as is my =
Bugeye. I managed a 3<sup>rd</sup> place finish behind a talented driver =
Chip Starr from Oregon. Buzz Merchlewitz was top dog among the =
948&#8217;s. Never saw him throughout the race, he is that fast! Kudos =
Buzz! Colin Comer was the number one Spridget on this day at Road =
America followed by Scott Schmidt &nbsp;and John Salisbury. =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'><o:p>&nbsp;=
</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'>It was =
exciting to share the track with 35 other Spridgets. Double the amount =
I&#8217;ve ever driven with. Great people, great weather, and great =
time. <o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'><o:p>&nbsp;=
</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'>On =
Saturday on of the regional Austin Healey Clubs came in and had a Sprite =
Car Show next to the Sprite Race Car Compound. I think they had about 20 =
cars, hopefully someone can give a closer count. They were invited to =
tour the Original Road Course on the Streets around Elkhart Lake on the =
Reenactment Tour of the original circuit. Followed up by =
&#8220;Gathering On The Green&#8221; that had a lot of gorgeous cars of =
all kinds. This is held each year as a part of the Elkhart Lake Vintage =
Festival held by Vintage Sports Car Drivers Association (VSCDA).&nbsp; =
Peter Egan of Road &amp; Track fame was in the Reenactment in a very =
special Sebring Sprite owned and maintained by Wm. Severin Thompson. He =
would have to tell you the heritage of this car as I do not remember, =
all I do remember is it is quite a rare and special car. =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'><o:p>&nbsp;=
</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'>Sunday the =
street Sprites were invited to take a parade lap around the Road America =
circuit just prior to the start of the Spridget Race. Hopefully someone =
involved with the street Sprites will report on their experience. =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'><o:p>&nbsp;=
</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'>My #9 =
Bugeye ran practice sessions and part of the Enduro Race on Friday. =
Saturday it ran qualifying and a Group 2 race that included over 70 =
field of sports cars. WOW! At the end of the race I was experiencing =
shifting problems. After a quick look inside the inspection hole on top =
of the bell housing it was evident the throw out bearing had failed. I =
went with my wife and daughter in our 2004 Mini Cooper on the Road =
America Course Reenactment followed by the Gathering on the Green and a =
banquet where Peter Egan was the keynote speaker. Around 9pm with help =
from a fellow racer, Severin Thompson, my dad Jeff Kelly, and my mom =
Mary Kelly we began disassembly of #9 to &nbsp;prepare for an early =
morning engine trans removal. Left the track at 11 pm. At 6 am I began =
pulling the engine and trans with the help of the above folks plus Roger =
Williams. While apart Roger identified a very slight twist in the clutch =
fork between the pivot point and the mount for the throw out bearing. =
Making the rounds to find a replacement clutch fork I visited with =
several other drivers. Bugeye Dave is my hero, he had a used one and =
gave it to me at no charge! Put it all back together with new throw out =
bearing and clutch cover and had it running before 10:45. Great work =
Team! It may have been earlier. I just missed running in the Kimberly =
Cup and that is the only session I missed all weekend. =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'><o:p>&nbsp;=
</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'>Stan Mason =
deserves a nod for doing much of the work for the past 2 years to bring =
all these people with their cars together at Road America. =
<o:p></o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><span =
style=3D'font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";color:windowtext'><o:p>&nbsp;=
</o:p></span></p><p class=3DMsoNormal><b><span =
style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Lucida =
Handwriting";color:#1F497D'>Best Wishes, <o:p></o:p></span></b></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><b><span style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Lucida =
Handwriting";color:#1F497D'><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></span></b></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><b><span style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Lucida =
Handwriting";color:#1F497D'>Don<o:p></o:p></span></b></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><b><span style=3D'font-size:16.0pt;font-family:"Lucida =
Handwriting";color:#1F497D'><img width=3D156 height=3D77 =
id=3D"Picture_x0020_1" src=3D"cid:[email-masked]" =
alt=3D"Bugeye-Sprite-Photo - Copy"><o:p></o:p></span></b></p><p =
class=3DMsoNormal><o:p>&nbsp;</o:p></p></div></body></html>
------=_NextPart_002_0043_01D451B6.5C90D3C0--

------=_NextPart_001_0042_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	name="image001.gif"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_001_0042_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	name="image003.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

------=_NextPart_001_0042_01D451B6.5C90D3C0--

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	name="Beggining Of Spridget Field.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Beggining Of Spridget Field.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	name="Clutch Replacement.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Clutch Replacement.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	name="Leading Some Spridgets .jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Leading Some Spridgets .jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
	name="Turn 5 Spridgets Road America 2018.jpg"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: attachment;
	filename="Turn 5 Spridgets Road America 2018.jpg"

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01D451B6.5C90D3C0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets

------=_NextPart_000_0041_01D451B6.5C90D3C0--