Subject: Re: [Spridgets] rocker knock

From: Michael MacLean via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 07:09:36 +0000 (UTC)

--===============2495818940720680823==
	boundary="----=_Part_965891_455237199.1475132976266"

------=_Part_965891_455237199.1475132976266
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

They make a valve cover just for this reason.=C2=A0 Moss part number 224-53=
0.=C2=A0=C2=A0 I have high lift rockers on my 1275 in my Bugeye.=C2=A0 No p=
roblem with this valve cover.Mike MacLean
=20

    On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 11:16 PM, mdrowe via Spridgets <spridg=
[email-masked]> wrote:
=20
=20

 #yiv0064544458 BLOCKQUOTE.yiv0064544458cite {PADDING-LEFT:10px;MARGIN-LEFT=
:5px;BORDER-LEFT:#cccccc 1px solid;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px;}#yiv=
0064544458 BLOCKQUOTE.yiv0064544458cite2 {MARGIN-TOP:3px;PADDING-TOP:0px;PA=
DDING-LEFT:10px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;BORDER-LEFT:#cccccc 1px solid;PADDING-RIGHT=
:0px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px;}#yiv0064544458 .yiv0064544458plain PRE {FONT-SIZE:10=
0%;FONT-FAMILY:monospace;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;FONT-STYLE:normal;}#yiv00645444=
58 .yiv0064544458plain TT {FONT-SIZE:100%;FONT-FAMILY:monospace;FONT-WEIGHT=
:normal;FONT-STYLE:normal;}#yiv0064544458 A IMG {BORDER-TOP:0px;BORDER-RIGH=
T:0px;BORDER-BOTTOM:0px;BORDER-LEFT:0px;}#yiv0064544458 .yiv0064544458plain=
 PRE {FONT-SIZE:12pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}#yiv0064544458 .yiv0064544458plain=
 TT {FONT-SIZE:12pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}#yiv0064544458 BODY {FONT-SIZE:12pt=
;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}I had a=C2=A0very loud knock that sounded absolutely f=
atal, and I was really worried that I was going to have to open this engine=
 up a=C2=A0second time.=C2=A0 It turned out to be=C2=A0an adjustment screw =
on the high-lift rockers hitting the alloy valve cover.=C2=A0=C2=A0A simple=
 solution is to put on=C2=A0a second gasket to raise the height of the cove=
r.=C2=A0 Anyone encountered this before?=C2=A0 =C2=A0Michael RoweThe Holy S=
prite
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
[email-masked]

=20
  =20
------=_Part_965891_455237199.1475132976266
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<html><head></head><body><div style=3D"color:#000; background-color:#fff; f=
ont-family:times new roman, new york, times, serif;font-size:16px"><div id=
=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1475132578459_9502">They make a valve cover just for =
this reason.&nbsp; Moss part number 224-530.&nbsp;&nbsp; I have high lift r=
ockers on my 1275 in my Bugeye.&nbsp; No problem with this valve cover.</di=
v><div dir=3D"ltr" id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1475132578459_9503">Mike MacLean=
<br></div><div id=3D"yui_3_16_0_ym19_1_1475132578459_7488"><span></span></d=
iv> <div class=3D"qtdSeparateBR"><br><br></div><div class=3D"yahoo_quoted" =
style=3D"display: block;"> <div style=3D"font-family: times new roman, new =
york, times, serif; font-size: 16px;"> <div style=3D"font-family: Helvetica=
Neue, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida Grande, sans-serif; font-siz=
e: 16px;"> <div dir=3D"ltr"><font size=3D"2" face=3D"Arial"> On Wednesday, =
September 28, 2016 11:16 PM, mdrowe via Spridgets &lt;[email-masked].=
net&gt; wrote:<br></font></div> <blockquote style=3D"border-left: 2px solid=
 rgb(16, 16, 255); margin-left: 5px; margin-top: 5px; padding-left: 5px;"> =
<br><br> <div class=3D"y_msg_container"><div id=3D"yiv0064544458">
<style>#yiv0064544458 BLOCKQUOTE.yiv0064544458cite {
PADDING-LEFT:10px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;BORDER-LEFT:#cccccc 1px solid;PADDING-RIG=
HT:0px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px;}
#yiv0064544458 BLOCKQUOTE.yiv0064544458cite2 {
MARGIN-TOP:3px;PADDING-TOP:0px;PADDING-LEFT:10px;MARGIN-LEFT:5px;BORDER-LEF=
T:#cccccc 1px solid;PADDING-RIGHT:0px;MARGIN-RIGHT:0px;}
#yiv0064544458 .yiv0064544458plain PRE {
FONT-SIZE:100%;FONT-FAMILY:monospace;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;FONT-STYLE:normal;}
#yiv0064544458 .yiv0064544458plain TT {
FONT-SIZE:100%;FONT-FAMILY:monospace;FONT-WEIGHT:normal;FONT-STYLE:normal;}
#yiv0064544458 A IMG {
BORDER-TOP:0px;BORDER-RIGHT:0px;BORDER-BOTTOM:0px;BORDER-LEFT:0px;}
#yiv0064544458 .yiv0064544458plain PRE {
FONT-SIZE:12pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}
#yiv0064544458 .yiv0064544458plain TT {
FONT-SIZE:12pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}
#yiv0064544458 BODY {
FONT-SIZE:12pt;FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma;}
</style>

<div><span id=3D"yiv0064544458x8a6f58eedf4243a1bf78bc3365748680">
<div>I had a&nbsp;very loud knock that sounded absolutely fatal, and I was =
really worried that I was going to have to open this engine up a&nbsp;secon=
d time.&nbsp; It turned out to be&nbsp;an adjustment screw on the high-lift=
 rockers hitting the alloy valve cover.&nbsp;&nbsp;A simple solution is to =
put on&nbsp;a second gasket to raise the height of the cover.&nbsp; Anyone =
encountered this before?&nbsp; </div>
<div>&nbsp;</div>
<div>Michael Rowe</div>
<div>The Holy Sprite</div></span></div></div><br>------------------------<b=
r><br><a ymailto=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" href=3D"mailto:spridge=
[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><br>Donate: <a href=3D"h=
ttp://www.team.net/donate.html" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donat=
e.html</a><br>Suggested annual donation: $12.75<br><br>Archive: <a href=3D"=
/a><br>Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://www.team.net/forums</a><br>Unsubscribe/Manage: <a href=3D"http://autox.=
team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]" target=3D"_blan=
k">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]<=
/a><br><br><br></div> </blockquote> </div> </div>  </div></div></body></htm=
l>
------=_Part_965891_455237199.1475132976266--

--===============2495818940720680823==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2495818940720680823==--

---

From: Bob Spruck via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 11:34:43 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4484254290132894309==
 boundary="------------D2B6D5AF8CAE4DADF27C8C04"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------D2B6D5AF8CAE4DADF27C8C04
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

I have an alloy valve cover on my 1275 vintage race engine that has had 
lots of grinding on the inside in the vicinity of every rocker arm. I 
also have three other "spare" alloy valve covers, two of which have been 
relieved on the inside and one that has not. The one that has not is 
noticeably narrower than the others and has not been ground. So, there 
are apparently some narrower valve covers out there that would need 
grinding to clear even a stock engine. May be from a Mini or ??? Of 
course, I have no idea of the origin of any of my valve covers.

I would go with internal cover grinding rather than taking the chance 
that stacking valve cover gaskets would heighten the valve cover or nuts 
so they interfere with the bonnet unless you can devise a way to measure 
the clearance.

Bob

On 9/28/2016 7:43 PM, mdrowe via Spridgets wrote:
> I had a very loud knock that sounded absolutely fatal, and I was 
> really worried that I was going to have to open this engine up 
> a second time.  It turned out to be an adjustment screw on the 
> high-lift rockers hitting the alloy valve cover.  A simple solution is 
> to put on a second gasket to raise the height of the cover.  Anyone 
> encountered this before?
> Michael Rowe
> The Holy Sprite
>
>
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

--------------D2B6D5AF8CAE4DADF27C8C04
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <p><font size="+1"><font face="Arial">I have an alloy valve cover on
          my 1275 vintage race engine that has had lots of grinding on
          the inside in the vicinity of every rocker arm. I also have
          three other "spare" alloy valve covers, two of which have been
          relieved on the inside and one that has not. The one that has
          not is noticeably narrower than the others and has not been
          ground. So, there are apparently some narrower valve covers
          out there that would need grinding to clear even a stock
          engine. May be from a Mini or ??? Of course, I have no idea of
          the origin of any of my valve covers. <br>
        </font></font></p>
    <p><font size="+1"><font face="Arial">I would go with internal cover
          grinding rather than taking the chance that stacking valve
          cover gaskets would heighten the valve cover or nuts so they
          interfere with the bonnet unless you can devise a way to
          measure the clearance.</font></font></p>
    <p><font size="+1"><font face="Arial">Bob</font></font><br>
    </p>
    <br>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 9/28/2016 7:43 PM, mdrowe via
      Spridgets wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
      cite="mid:embd0bda5b-5512-48ea-bfbb-7c01333cfddd@windows-5d5q88t"
      type="cite">
      <style id="eMClientCss">BLOCKQUOTE.cite {
	PADDING-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px
}
BLOCKQUOTE.cite2 {
	MARGIN-TOP: 3px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #cccccc 1px solid; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px
}
.plain PRE {
	FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-FAMILY: monospace; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal
}
.plain TT {
	FONT-SIZE: 100%; FONT-FAMILY: monospace; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal
}
A IMG {
	BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px
}
.plain PRE {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma
}
.plain TT {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma
}
BODY {
	FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma
}
</style><span id="x8a6f58eedf4243a1bf78bc3365748680">
        <div>I had a very loud knock that sounded absolutely fatal, and
          I was really worried that I was going to have to open this
          engine up a second time.  It turned out to be an adjustment
          screw on the high-lift rockers hitting the alloy valve
          cover.  A simple solution is to put on a second gasket to
          raise the height of the cover.  Anyone encountered this
          before?  </div>
        <div> </div>
        <div>Michael Rowe</div>
        <div>The Holy Sprite</div>
      </span>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">------------------------

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------D2B6D5AF8CAE4DADF27C8C04--

--===============4484254290132894309==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============4484254290132894309==--