Subject: [Spridgets] stupid 1275 head issue

From: Mike Rambour via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 14:52:49 -0700

Ok, I am finalizing my 1275 build and found that I did not have a head 
gasket leak, what I had was a stupid bronze/brass plug between the #2 
and #3 cylinders that is a tiny bit recessed and also leaking.  When I 
soaked the head in the solvent tank, I could see solvent oozing past the 
plug so it needs to be replaced.

  I have never seen a head with a plug, my first thought is that it was 
butchered by previous owner(s) but i have been googling and found it was 
common on the 1275's which explains why I never saw one, this is my 
first 1275.

  So what is the best repair ? I can get it out and machine a new one to 
press in, that won't be a problem but I foresee the same problem in the 
future.  I would be scared to try taking it out and threading the head 
myself and I think I would send it out for the threading part or is it 
pretty easy ?  I read on one web site where the guy drove a screw 
through the plug all the way through to the other side of the water 
jacket (not through the jacket just touching it) to keep it from 
recessing again.  I would not do that but could easily machine a plug 
with "stub" on it that would rest on the water jacket to keep it from 
recessing again.  I have a lathe and mill but I am not a machinist, I 
tend to make more shavings than usable parts, I don't mind making a plug 
and skimming the head but threading cast iron myself seems like asking 
for trouble, but maybe its not if the head is thick enough.

   Mike

-- 
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive