Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Diagnostic question

From: Rick Fisk via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 16:54:27 -0400

Hi Pete,

Sounds like the starter may be bad.  Try this - on the front end of the starter the square end of the motor shaft sticks out about 3/8's of an inch.  Turn the shaft a turn or two with a wrench and then try to start the engine.  Let us know what you find.

Rick

Sent from my keyboard

> On Jul 2, 2016, at 3:22 PM, Pboser Yahoo via Spridgets <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi all,
> My 59 Bugeye spends most of the time in the garage, but I periodically get to drag it out. Although it has had a weak battery, it usually charges up and comes to life. However, I am having a starter problem and I'm looking for help to diagnose it.
> First of all, be aware that the car will run start and run fine if I push start it.
> However, when I pull on the starter knob, the gas gauge goes to zero but the starter doesn't function. 
> Any thoughts on diagnosing the problem? I'm getting tired of push- starting! It's too flat around here!
> Thanks,
> Pete
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> 
> 
> Sent from my iPhone
> ------------------------
> 
> [email-masked]
> 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
> 
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Hal Faulkner via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2016 14:13:08 -0700

--===============0648896276901899244==

--94eb2c08b2f4e631750536ad9171

Pete,
1. Battery.
2. Battery cables.
3. Starter.

Since you already said it has had a weak battery, that would be the first
thing to check.  Do you have another battery you can switch out to check?
Jumper cables?
If the battery cables are corroded they can exhibit quite a bit of
resistance, when you pull the starter button Ohm"s Law comes into play and
you drop so much voltage across the cables that it won't turn over.  Jumper
cables will probably NOT work if this is the problem.
If it's not the battery or the cables then I would suspect the starter.
Take out and take it to your FLAPS and have them check it.
Hal

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Pboser Yahoo via Spridgets <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> My 59 Bugeye spends most of the time in the garage, but I periodically get
> to drag it out. Although it has had a weak battery, it usually charges up
> and comes to life. However, I am having a starter problem and I'm looking
> for help to diagnose it.
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

--94eb2c08b2f4e631750536ad9171
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr"><div><div><div><div><div><div><div>Pete,<br></div>1. Batte=
ry.<br></div>2. Battery cables.<br></div>3. Starter.<br><br></div>Since you=
 already said it has had a weak battery, that would be the first thing to c=
heck.=C2=A0 Do you have another battery you can switch out to check?=C2=A0 =
Jumper cables?<br></div>If the battery cables are corroded they can exhibit=
 quite a bit of resistance, when you pull the starter button Ohm&quot;s Law=
 comes into play and you drop so much voltage across the cables that it won=
&#39;t turn over.=C2=A0 Jumper cables will probably NOT work if this is the=
 problem.<br></div>If it&#39;s not the battery or the cables then I would s=
uspect the starter.=C2=A0 Take out and take it to your FLAPS and have them =
check it. <br></div>Hal<br></div><div class=3D"gmail_extra"><br><div class=
=3D"gmail_quote">On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Pboser Yahoo via Spridget=
s <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" target=
=3D"_blank">[email-masked]</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote c=
lass=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;=
padding-left:1ex">Hi all,<br>
My 59 Bugeye spends most of the time in the garage, but I periodically get =
to drag it out. Although it has had a weak battery, it usually charges up a=
nd comes to life. However, I am having a starter problem and I&#39;m lookin=
g for help to diagnose it.<br>
First of all, be aware that the car will run start and run fine if I push s=
tart it.<br>
However, when I pull on the starter knob, the gas gauge goes to zero but th=
e starter doesn&#39;t function.<br>
Any thoughts on diagnosing the problem? I&#39;m getting tired of push- star=
ting! It&#39;s too flat around here!<br>
Thanks,<br>
Pete<br>
<br>
Sent from my iPhone<br>
<br>
<br>
Sent from my iPhone<br>
------------------------<br>
<br>
<a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br=
<br>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
<br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
Forums: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/forums" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D=
"_blank">http://www.team.net/forums</a><br>
ets/[email-masked]" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.t=
eam.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]</a><br>
</blockquote></div><br></div>

--94eb2c08b2f4e631750536ad9171--

--===============0648896276901899244==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============0648896276901899244==--