Subject: [Spridgets] stupid 1275 head issue

From: Mike Rambour via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 11:24:53 -0700

Sorry for the repeat, I didnt see this message on the list.

Ok, I am finalizing my 1275 build and found that I did not have a head 
gasket leak, what I had was a stupid bronze/brass plug between the #2 
and #3 cylinders that is a tiny bit recessed and also leaking.  When I 
soaked the head in the solvent tank, I could see solvent oozing past the 
plug so it needs to be replaced.

   I have never seen a head with a plug, my first thought is that it was 
butchered by previous owner(s) but i have been googling and found it was 
common on the 1275's which explains why I never saw one, this is my 
first 1275.

   So what is the best repair ? I can get it out and machine a new one 
to press in, that won't be a problem but I foresee the same problem in 
the future.  I would be scared to try taking it out and threading the 
head myself and I think I would send it out for the threading part or is 
it pretty easy ?  I read on one web site where the guy drove a screw 
through the plug all the way through to the other side of the water 
jacket (not through the jacket just touching it) to keep it from 
recessing again.  I would not do that but could easily machine a plug 
with "stub" on it that would rest on the water jacket to keep it from 
recessing again.  I have a lathe and mill but I am not a machinist, I 
tend to make more shavings than usable parts, I don't mind making a plug 
and skimming the head but threading cast iron myself seems like asking 
for trouble, but maybe its not if the head is thick enough.

    Mike

-- 
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Rick Fisk via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 22:44:05 -0400

I believe all 1275 heads had this plug from the factory.  The guys on the MG Experience forum all recommend removing the old plug, threading the hole, and then installing a tapered brass plug available at any hardware store.  Then you skim the head.  

Sent from my keyboard

> On Jul 26, 2016, at 5:52 PM, Mike Rambour via Spridgets <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Ok, I am finalizing my 1275 build and found that I did not have a head gasket leak, what I had was a stupid bronze/brass plug between the #2 and #3 cylinders that is a tiny bit recessed and also leaking.  When I soaked the head in the solvent tank, I could see solvent oozing past the plug so it needs to be replaced.
> 
> I have never seen a head with a plug, my first thought is that it was butchered by previous owner(s) but i have been googling and found it was common on the 1275's which explains why I never saw one, this is my first 1275.
> 
> So what is the best repair ? I can get it out and machine a new one to press in, that won't be a problem but I foresee the same problem in the future.  I would be scared to try taking it out and threading the head myself and I think I would send it out for the threading part or is it pretty easy ?  I read on one web site where the guy drove a screw through the plug all the way through to the other side of the water jacket (not through the jacket just touching it) to keep it from recessing again.  I would not do that but could easily machine a plug with "stub" on it that would rest on the water jacket to keep it from recessing again.  I have a lathe and mill but I am not a machinist, I tend to make more shavings than usable parts, I don't mind making a plug and skimming the head but threading cast iron myself seems like asking for trouble, but maybe its not if the head is thick enough.
> 
>  Mike
> 
> -- 
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
> 
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] via Spridgets <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2016 06:20:19 GMT

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

--===============6253034581515500712==
	boundary="--InfrawareEmailBoundaryDepth1_4db35c15--"

This is a multipart message in MIME format.

----InfrawareEmailBoundaryDepth1_4db35c15--
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----InfrawareEmailBoundaryDepth1_4db35c15--
	charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----InfrawareEmailBoundaryDepth1_4db35c15----

--===============6253034581515500712==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============6253034581515500712==--