Subject: [Spridgets] SU rebuild time

From: Mike Rambour via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 08:26:14 -0700

Ok, new son-in-law is trying to get his toy running and some of the 
parts have been sitting for years out in the rain.

  First up, the SU carbs.  I have NEVER played with a SU except minor 
tuning or to replace with a Weber, this time we are sticking with SU's.  
Yes, they sat in the rain 2 years at least of course barrels up and were 
frozen solid, using wooden dowel and some brass punches we got them 
apart after letting them soak in Kroil for a week.  I think everything 
is re-buildable.

  One of the issues we came up with is that the dashpot plunger was 
stuck in the carb, we finally got most of it out but it left the piston 
(for lack of a better name) in the hole, I guess we pulled too hard and 
snapped off the little circlip and now what ? Its really stuck in there 
and its in there deep.  Can't get to it from the other side so not sure 
what to do.  I was thinking of trying to get a screw into it and pull it 
but that of course implies I can get a new one, I suppose I could drill 
it out also but that requires more accuracy than I might be able to do 
but I do have a lathe/mill I could use for the task. (it seems my 
machining tends to be +/- 0.25" accuracy not a typo :)  )

  We got the full blown rebuild kit on its way, everything we should 
need and tonight I will glass bead everything but that plunger in there 
is a problem.  Also not knowing better what is in that housing that the 
dashpot plunger goes into ? the other side has the long needle sticking 
out is there supposed to be a opening from one side to the next besides 
the obvious 2 holes on the side, there is hex screw looking thing near 
the 2 holes, should I remove that and what is it ?  I am hoping that in 
the super duper $200 rebuild kit is a new needle because i damaged one 
getting it out (after removing the screw on the side).   The carbs came 
off a 1098 and are going on his 1275 as soon as we put it together :)

  We have a issue with the head on the 1275 right now, the brass insert 
between cylinders 2&3 is recessed causing a head gasket leak and 
allowing water into the cylinders, even the insert leaks so I have to 
find a shop that is trustworthy here in S. Calif. to get it out, thread 
a new insert and machine it.  Getting down the last few details and 
maybe this motor will be together in a month.

  Mike

-- 
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one but don't have it,
you'll probably never need one again.

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive