Subject: [Spridgets] Bugeye steering wheel hub

From: Bob Spruck via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 20:20:38 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0364005011665454861==
 boundary="------------24A29C27B9E170A9C4294DA0"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------24A29C27B9E170A9C4294DA0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Well, it's happened again. I got myself in a Bugeye bind.

My new Bugeye came with a beautiful Lempert solid wood steering wheel. 
Problem was it was15" in diameter and made it difficult to get in the 
car. I bought a 13" leather Mountney wheel and hub from Mini-Mania and  
told them that the Bugeye shaft has a 5/8" diam spline, all other years 
are 3/4" and M-M assured me their hub would fit. I then sold the Lempert 
wheel and hub to a Lister. Of course, when I received the hub, it didn't 
fit. Now I have a car with no steering wheel hub but a nice wheel.

Have any of you replaced a steering wheel on your Bugeye?  If so, where 
did you get the hub? The Mountney wheel has a center hole of 3 12" and a 
six hole bolt circle of 4". I've already asked 7 Enterprises, Moss, and 
VB - no luck. One option would be to cut off the 5/8" spline and weld on 
a 3/4" one from one of my parts cars. I also have a solid shaft with the 
larger spline but don't know what year car it came from and whether it 
will be a direct exchange with the Bugeye shaft. Any experience here?

The way things have been going, I'm reluctant to start any new projects 
with the fear that they will turn bad. Any experiences or suggestions 
will be most welcome.

Bob Spruck

--------------24A29C27B9E170A9C4294DA0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <font size="+1"><font face="Arial">Well, it's happened again. I got
        myself in a Bugeye bind. <br>
        <br>
        My new Bugeye came with a beautiful Lempert solid wood steering
        wheel. Problem was it was15" in diameter and made it difficult
        to get in the car. I bought a 13" leather Mountney wheel and hub
        from Mini-Mania and  told them that the B</font></font><font
      size="+1"><font face="Arial">ugeye shaft has a 5/8" diam spline,
        all other years are 3/4" and </font></font><font size="+1"><font
        face="Arial">M-M assured me their hub would fit. I </font></font><font
      size="+1"><font face="Arial"><font size="+1"><font face="Arial">then
            sold the Lempert wheel and hub to a Lister. </font></font>Of
        course, when I received the hub, it didn't fit. Now I have a car
        with no steering wheel hub but a nice wheel.<br>
        <br>
        Have any of you replaced a steering wheel on your Bugeye?  If
        so, where did you get the hub? The Mountney wheel has a center
        hole of 3 12" and a six hole bolt circle of 4". I've already
        asked 7 Enterprises, Moss, and VB - no luck. One option would be
        to cut off the 5/8" spline and weld on a 3/4" one from one of my
        parts cars. I also have a solid shaft with the larger spline but
        don't know what year car it came from and whether it will be a
        direct exchange with the Bugeye shaft. Any experience here?<br>
        <br>
        The way things have been going, I'm reluctant to start any new
        projects with the fear that they will turn bad. Any experiences
        or suggestions will be most welcome.<br>
        <br>
        Bob Spruck<br>
      </font></font>
  </body>
</html>

--------------24A29C27B9E170A9C4294DA0--

--===============0364005011665454861==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============0364005011665454861==--

---

From: WeslakeMonza1330--- via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:18:43 -0400

--===============2830266757452234646==

--part1_130669.4802f06f.44a41983_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

You might find the Triumph Herald hub will fit?
 
I'd contact Mountney direct and ask they if they do a hub for the  Frogeye.#
 
It's possible you can get a machine shop to make you a boss from a solid  
piece of very large bar.
 
Is there a reason why you can't swap the whole steering column to the later 
 steering column?

In a message dated 28/06/2016 07:42:56 GMT Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

My new Bugeye came with a beautiful Lempert solid wood steering  wheel. 
Problem was it was15" in diameter and made it difficult to get in the  car. I 
bought a 13" leather Mountney wheel and hub from Mini-Mania and   told them 
that the Bugeye shaft  has a 5/8" diam spline, all other years are 3/4" and 
M-M assured me their hub would fit. I  then sold the Lempert wheel and hub to 
a Lister. Of  course, when I received the hub, it didn't fit. Now I have a 
car with no  steering wheel hub but a nice wheel.

Have any of you replaced a  steering wheel on your Bugeye?  If so, where 
did you get the hub? The  Mountney wheel has a center hole of 3 12" and a six 
hole bolt circle of 4".  I've already asked 7 Enterprises, Moss, and VB - no 
luck. One option would be  to cut off the 5/8" spline and weld on a 3/4" 
one from one of my parts cars. I  also have a solid shaft with the larger 
spline but don't know what year car it  came from and whether it will be a 
direct exchange with the Bugeye shaft. Any  experience here?

The way things have been going, I'm reluctant to start  any new projects 
with the fear that they will turn bad. Any experiences or  suggestions will be 
most welcome.

Bob  Spruck

--part1_130669.4802f06f.44a41983_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.9600.18349"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR:=
 #000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV>You might find the Triumph Herald hub will fit?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'd contact Mountney direct and ask they if they do a hub for the=20
Frogeye.#</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It's possible you can get a machine shop to make you a boss from a so=
lid=20
piece of very large bar.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Is there a reason why you can't swap the whole steering column to the=
 later=20
steering column?</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 28/06/2016 07:42:56 GMT Daylight Time,=20
[email-masked] writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"=
><FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" color=3D#000000 size=3D4 face=3D=
Arial><FONT=20
  size=3D+1><FONT face=3DArial>Well, it's happened again. I got myself in=
 a Bugeye=20
  bind. <BR><BR>My new Bugeye came with a beautiful Lempert solid wood ste=
ering=20
  wheel. Problem was it was15" in diameter and made it difficult to get in=
 the=20
  car. I bought a 13" leather Mountney wheel and hub from Mini-Mania and&n=
bsp;=20
  told them that the B</FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D+1><FONT face=3DArial>uge=
ye shaft=20
  has a 5/8" diam spline, all other years are 3/4" and </FONT></FONT><FONT=
=20
  size=3D+1><FONT face=3DArial>M-M assured me their hub would fit. I=20
  </FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D+1><FONT face=3DArial><FONT size=3D+1><FONT=
=20
  face=3DArial>then sold the Lempert wheel and hub to a Lister. </FONT></F=
ONT>Of=20
  course, when I received the hub, it didn't fit. Now I have a car with no=
=20
  steering wheel hub but a nice wheel.<BR><BR>Have any of you replaced a=
=20
  steering wheel on your Bugeye?&nbsp; If so, where did you get the hub?=
 The=20
  Mountney wheel has a center hole of 3 12" and a six hole bolt circle of=
 4".=20
  I've already asked 7 Enterprises, Moss, and VB - no luck. One option wou=
ld be=20
  to cut off the 5/8" spline and weld on a 3/4" one from one of my parts=
 cars. I=20
  also have a solid shaft with the larger spline but don't know what year=
 car it=20
  came from and whether it will be a direct exchange with the Bugeye shaft=
. Any=20
  experience here?<BR><BR>The way things have been going, I'm reluctant to=
 start=20
  any new projects with the fear that they will turn bad. Any experiences=
 or=20
  suggestions will be most welcome.<BR><BR>Bob=20
Spruck<BR></FONT></FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--part1_130669.4802f06f.44a41983_boundary--

--===============2830266757452234646==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============2830266757452234646==--