Subject: [Spridgets] Question about mating the transmission to the engine

From: David Ambrose via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2016 22:03:39 -0700

We're trying to mate a new transmission to a 1275 engine. After a two 
attempts at assembling the clutch using the clutch pilot, we were able 
to mostly mate the transmission to the engine. There's about 3/8 inch 
left. The transmission isn't going on easily and I'm wondering if we 
should use the bell housing bolts to pull them together or take is all 
apart again, and make another try.

This is a replacement transmission of unknown parentage other than it 
came out of a Midget. I was wondering if the pilot bushing might be a 
different diameter. Were there multiple sizes?

Thanks,
Dave Ambrose

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "rrengineer.mike via Spridgets" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 04:47:29 -0700

--===============5578156685840735706==

----_com.android.email_4116167916193280
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_4116167916193280
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64

----_com.android.email_4116167916193280--

--===============5578156685840735706==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============5578156685840735706==--

---

From: Richard Ball via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 07:39:03 -0700

Richard Ball <[email-masked]> wrote:

>David,
>Don't use the bolts to pull things together.  A while back I ended up rebuilding a Datsun 5 speed for a friend who did the same thing.  In this case it damaged the input shaft bearing which seized up on him half way to Portland.  The heat caused by the bearing seizing up at freeway speeds damaged the input shaft, other bearings, snap rings, and a synchro ring.  The cause of all this was that the hole in the crank and the pilot bushing were not correctly matched and the shop that rebuilt his engine used their best BFH to make them fit, which deformed the ID of the soft pilot bushing.
>In my friend John's defense this project was his first attempt at anything mechanical and he did a beautiful job restoring his MG TF farming out what he had too and doing/learning the rest.  In this instance, learning the hard way
>
>Rich Ball
>'76 Midget
>Everett Wa
------------------------

[email-masked]