Subject: [Spridgets] Question about mating the transmission to the engine

From: Richard Ball via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 08:14:08 -0700

David,
Don't use the bolts to pull things together.  A while back I ended up 
rebuilding a Datsun 5 speed for a friend who did the same thing.  In this 
case it damaged the input shaft bearing which seized up on him half way to 
Portland.  The heat caused by the bearing seizing up at freeway speeds 
damaged the input shaft, other bearings, snap rings, and a synchro ring. 
The cause of all this was that the hole in the crank and the pilot bushing 
were not correctly matched and the shop that rebuilt his engine used their 
best BFH to make them fit, this deformed/reduced the ID of the soft bronze 
pilot bushing.
In my friend John's defense this project was his first attempt at anything 
mechanical and he did a beautiful job restoring his MG TF farming out what 
he had too and doing/learning the rest.  In this instance, learning the hard 
way.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett Wa 

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Billy Zoom via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 12:00:51 -0700

A lot of the plastic alignment tools are crap. Try wiggling the tail around
while you push.

------------------------

[email-masked]