Subject: [Spridgets] Brand new Facet fuel pump problem, no power.

From: Linda Grunthaner via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 21:32:48 -0400

--===============2023022104434746329==

--047d7bb03d7e48a354051b94fb0c

Hi Guys,
This afternoon I ran my Sprite's fuel tank dry after driving her without a
problem over the weekend a short distance. It was my fault as I swapped to
my old loose gas cap during the day because it was "pretty" (for me pretty
stupid) and that allowed the fuel tank with little gas to dry out. My
Sprite ran fine until there was no fuel while sitting in the driveway
today. I know my old 2 yr old Facet pump is dead because it no longer makes
any noise  which it always does when I turn the key prior to starting.

I quickly went to the NAPA store and purchased another near exact Facet
pump "Posi-Flow" and installed it to the exact location as the broken one.
I connected everything exactly as the previous pump and put 2 gallons of
gas in the tank, l reinstalled the rear wheel lowered the jack and
reconnected the battery terminal. I turned the key and I get nothing, no
sound what-so-ever. I have headlights the starter works and the blinkers
too but I hear nothing out of the pump which is usually loud from inside
the car.

I then thought maybe there was nothing wrong with the old one but I put 12
volts on it with another battery and nothing, so it was clearly burned out.

Tomorrow I'm going to run another ground wire from the black ground on the
pump directly to the negative terminal of the battery to be sure I have
contact for ground as it is only connected to the bolt as the prior pump
was and I will also run another wire to the red power on the pump directly
to the positive terminal of the battery. Other than that I'm stumped. I'll
also call Facet for suggestions.

Am I missing anything? Could the pump be bad? I'm guessing yes but a long
shot.

How can I test the new pump other than running the connections directly to
the battery?

Thanks in advance.
Lin

62 Sprite 1275 engine, negative ground

-- 
"Pay if forward" in honor of Frank Clarici III, Spritenut

--047d7bb03d7e48a354051b94fb0c
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<div dir=3D"ltr">Hi Guys,<div>This afternoon I ran my Sprite&#39;s fuel tan=
k dry after driving her without a problem over the weekend a short distance=
. It was my fault as I swapped to my old loose gas cap during the day becau=
se it was &quot;pretty&quot; (for me pretty stupid) and that allowed the fu=
el tank with little gas to dry out. My Sprite ran fine until there was no f=
uel while sitting in the driveway today. I know my old 2 yr old Facet pump =
is dead because it no longer makes any noise =C2=A0which it always does whe=
n I turn the key prior to starting.</div><div><br></div><div>I quickly went=
 to the NAPA store and purchased another near exact Facet pump &quot;Posi-F=
low&quot; and installed it to the exact location as the broken one. I conne=
cted everything exactly as the previous pump and put 2 gallons of gas in th=
e tank, l reinstalled the rear wheel lowered the jack and reconnected the b=
attery terminal. I turned the key and I get nothing, no sound what-so-ever.=
 I have headlights the starter works and the blinkers too but I hear nothin=
g out of the pump which is usually loud from inside the car.</div><div><br>=
</div><div>I then thought maybe there was nothing wrong with the old one bu=
t I put 12 volts on it with another battery and nothing, so it was clearly =
burned out.=C2=A0</div><div><br></div><div>Tomorrow I&#39;m going to run an=
other ground wire from the black ground on the pump directly to the negativ=
e terminal of the battery to be sure I have contact for ground as it is onl=
y connected to the bolt as the prior pump was and I will also run another w=
ire to the red power on the pump directly to the positive terminal of the b=
attery. Other than that I&#39;m stumped. I&#39;ll also call Facet for sugge=
stions.</div><div><br></div><div>Am I missing anything? Could the pump be b=
ad? I&#39;m guessing yes but a long shot.</div><div><br></div><div>How can =
I test the new pump other than running the connections directly to the batt=
ery?</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks in advance.</div><div>Lin</div><div><b=
r></div><div>62 Sprite 1275 engine, negative ground<br><div><div><br></div>=
-- <br><div class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr"><span style=3D"font-=
size:small">&quot;Pay if forward&quot; in honor of Frank Clarici III, Sprit=
enut</span><br></div></div>
</div></div></div>

--047d7bb03d7e48a354051b94fb0c--

--===============2023022104434746329==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============2023022104434746329==--

---

From: WeslakeMonza1330--- via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 16:43:12 -0400

--===============3274402706365807723==

--part1_1af92b.71732708.42e54ee0_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi Lin
 
Is this a cube Facet or the cylindrical body pump?  I doubt your  original 
pump is dead any more than the new one is.  Both old and new Facet  
cylindrical body pumps are noisy.  I've just replaced one on my Sprite as  it seemed 
to be working harder than I expected it to at idle and just didn't  sound 
the same as it did a few months back.  I tested the output with a  pressure 
gauge and it struggled to make 3 psi when wholly unregulated which is  ok 
because the 45 DCOE Weber on my carb needs less, but indicated it was  worn.  I 
changed it for a new one which sounded better and unregulated made  lots 
more pressure.  
 
What I would to  test both pumps is simply use some jumper leads from  a 
good battery to the pump connections.  A new pump is greased and will  'tick', 
whereas be careful with the old pump as it may spray fuel.
 
Final thoughts, having spoken to Facet recently, is that there are a lot  
cheap crap copies of their product, but I think your problem will be  wiring.
 
Regards

Daniel

In a message dated 25/07/2015 19:29:49 GMT Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

I know  my old 2 yr old Facet pump is dead because it no longer makes any 
noise  which it always does when I turn the key prior to  starting.

--part1_1af92b.71732708.42e54ee0_boundary
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3DUS-ASCII" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 11.00.9600.17924"></HEAD>
<BODY id=3Drole_body style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR:=
 #000000"=20
bottomMargin=3D7 leftMargin=3D7 rightMargin=3D7 topMargin=3D7><FONT id=3Dr=
ole_document=20
color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3DArial>
<DIV>Hi Lin</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Is this a cube Facet or the cylindrical body pump?&nbsp; I doubt your=
=20
original pump is dead any more than the new one is.&nbsp; Both old and new=
 Facet=20
cylindrical body pumps are noisy.&nbsp; I've just replaced one on my Sprit=
e as=20
it seemed to be working harder than I expected it to at idle and just didn=
't=20
sound the same as it did a few months back.&nbsp; I tested the output with=
 a=20
pressure gauge and it struggled to make 3 psi when wholly unregulated whic=
h is=20
ok because the 45 DCOE Weber on my carb needs less, but indicated it was=
=20
worn.&nbsp; I changed it for a new one which sounded better and unregulate=
d made=20
lots more pressure.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What I would to&nbsp; test both pumps is simply use some jumper leads=
 from=20
a good battery to the pump connections.&nbsp; A new pump is greased and wi=
ll=20
'tick', whereas be careful with the old pump as it may spray fuel.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Final thoughts, having spoken to Facet recently, is that there are a=
 lot=20
cheap crap copies of their product, but I think your problem will be=20
wiring.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Daniel</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 25/07/2015 19:29:49 GMT Daylight Time,=20
[email-masked] writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: blue 2px solid"=
><FONT=20
  style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" color=3D#000000 size=3D2 face=3D=
Arial>I know=20
  my old 2 yr old Facet pump is dead because it no longer makes any noise=
=20
  &nbsp;which it always does when I turn the key prior to=20
starting.</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>
--part1_1af92b.71732708.42e54ee0_boundary--

--===============3274402706365807723==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============3274402706365807723==--