Subject: [Spridgets] Drilling holes in a Bugeye

From: Bob Spruck via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 22:01:05 -0400

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============4448146116013665059==
 boundary="------------010605030309060209010309"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------010605030309060209010309
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

As I start to work on items on my long punch list on my new Bugeye, I am 
at the point of needing the phenomenal insight, experience, and 
helpfulness exhibited by members of this List. So, this is the first of 
what will probably be a lot of questions. My main concern is to not 
screw up and do something that I think will work, if you all know that 
it won't and have a better way. Here goes.

The car came with a Healey hardtop and a set of side curtains. The 
Healey hardtop is about 2" taller than the BMC one. The Healey top 
requires bespoke side curtains while the standard side curtains fit the 
standard soft top and the BMC hardtop. My plan was to install a tonneau 
for the good seven months of weather here in GA and then use the hardtop 
and side curtains for the winter and not get a soft top and frame. Now I 
go to plan "B". If I can't find a set of Healey side curtains I may have 
to go to a frame and soft top for the winter. Anybody have any input on 
acquiring side curtains for a Healey hardtop?

Anyway, I bought a Robbins tonneau (the long variety) from 
Bugeyeguy.com. Now I need to install the four Tenax  fasteners and the 
two twist fasteners on the rear deck. What is the best way to drill the 
holes without chipping or scratching my beautiful Speedwell Blue paint 
job? Is there any place that has the location dimensions for the holes 
or does it not matter as long as they line up with the holes I will put 
in the tonneau?. Once I decide the locations should I mark them on and 
then drill through masking tape? Center punch lightly? Drill a small 
hole and then enlarge it? Any other considerations or tips?

All opinions are greatly appreciated.

Bob Spruck
Sharpsburg, GA

'67 Midget vintage racer
'72 Midget still awaiting its second restoration
'61 (?) Bugeye restored, needing minor attention
6+ parts cars in my MG hospice

--------------010605030309060209010309
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>

    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <font size="+1"><font face="Arial">As I start to work on items on my
        long punch list on my new Bugeye, I am at the point of needing
        the phenomenal insight, experience, and helpfulness exhibited by
        members of this List. So, this is the first of what will
        probably be a lot of questions. My main concern is to not screw
        up and do something that I think will work, if you all know that
        it won't and have a better way. Here goes.<br>
        <br>
        The car came with a Healey hardtop and a set of side curtains.
        The Healey hardtop is about 2" taller than the BMC one. The
        Healey top requires bespoke side curtains while the standard
        side curtains fit the standard soft top and the BMC hardtop. My
        plan was to install a tonneau for the good seven months of
        weather here in GA and then use the hardtop and side curtains
        for the winter and not get a soft top and frame. Now I go to
        plan "B". If I can't find a set of Healey side curtains I may
        have to go to a frame and soft top for the winter. Anybody have
        any input on acquiring side curtains for a Healey hardtop?<br>
        <br>
        Anyway, I bought a Robbins tonneau (the long variety) from
        Bugeyeguy.com. Now I need to install the four Tenax  fasteners
        and the two twist fasteners on the rear deck. What is the best
        way to drill the holes without chipping or scratching my
        beautiful Speedwell Blue paint job? Is there any place that has
        the location dimensions for the holes or does it not matter as
        long as they line up with the holes I will put in the tonneau?.
        Once I decide the locations should I mark them on and then drill
        through masking tape? Center punch lightly? Drill a small hole
        and then enlarge it? Any other considerations or tips?<br>
        <br>
        All opinions are greatly appreciated.<br>
        <br>
        Bob Spruck<br>
        Sharpsburg, GA<br>
        <br>
        '67 Midget vintage racer<br>
        '72 Midget still awaiting its second restoration<br>
        '61 (?) Bugeye restored, needing minor attention<br>
        6+ parts cars in my MG hospice <br>
      </font></font>
  </body>
</html>

--------------010605030309060209010309--

--===============4448146116013665059==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============4448146116013665059==--

---

From: Billy Zoom via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 22:54:22 -0700

> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

--===============0207365207289092908==
	boundary="B_3511896863_5680560"

> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand
this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

--B_3511896863_5680560
	charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

Do you have access to a pair of original Healey side curtains that you coul=
d
copy?
I=B9ll bet you could fabricate a pair if you were sufficiently motivated. The
Plexiglas is a snap and you could probably find appropriate aluminum
extrusions if you really looked. I think it would be worth the effort if
your top=B9s in good shape.
Another alternative would be to move here and not bother with a top.
BZ in SoCal

--B_3511896863_5680560
	charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Spridgets] Drilling holes in a Bugeye</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Geneva, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:14.0p=
x'>Do you have access to a pair of original Healey side curtains that you co=
uld copy?<BR>
I&#8217;ll bet you could fabricate a pair if you were sufficiently motivate=
d. The Plexiglas is a snap and you could probably find appropriate aluminum =
extrusions if you really looked. I think it would be worth the effort if you=
r top&#8217;s in good shape.<BR>
Another alternative would be to move here and not bother with a top.<BR>
BZ in SoCal</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3511896863_5680560--

--===============0207365207289092908==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============0207365207289092908==--