Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 995 Huffaker race engine question

From: Gerard via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 18:13:37 -0700

--===============7500549358724468255==

--Apple-Mail=_5812EA4F-9DFD-4346-B829-6814ACDDD14F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

The 948 and early 1098 engines were not designed for PCV and, as =
mentioned, only had a draught tube. Obviously this doesn=E2=80=99t do =
anything unless the car is moving.  Adding additional vents does =
sometimes help, but it usually will not cure the problem entirely. =
Setting up a PVC is beneficial too, but again, does not always work. =
YMMV

There are multiple issues to get the scroll seal to function properly. =
For one thing, it=E2=80=99s not uncommon for the surface that faces the =
gap to get wear either from actual contact or from ingress/egress of =
debris. This abrasion can destroy the required tolerance to function =
properly. Correct tolerance is .0015" to .004=E2=80=9D. So, what would =
be recommended when rebuilding an engine, is to set the half moon piece =
before it is line bored and than not remove it. This will clean up the =
surface, store the tolerance, and have it centered. I have photos of the =
kind of damage I mention above, but unfortunately cannot post photos =
here. This is the best case scenario for potential success, but often =
times they will still weep or leak anyway. Even if they don=E2=80=99t =
leak much when running, chances are they will drip, drip, drip when you =
shut off the engine. I have been successful doing it this way. However,  =
if you really want to cure the leak, the seal kit I have is the only =
sure cure. I have these on about a dozen race engines around the country =
and many more on street cars. Everybody is very happy with the results, =
even Hap Waldrop, who, because of his experience with the Moss kit, =
didn=E2=80=99t believe it would work. After installing two on customer =
cars, he gave this endorsement:

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,2681890,2681890#msg-2681890 =
<http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,2681890,2681890#msg-2681890>

I have one particular well known shop who has installed more than 5 with =
great results.

See more about it here:

http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/SealKit/SealKit.htm

Gerard

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 11:00 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>=20
> Message: 5
> Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:16:16 +0000 (UTC)
> To: Spridgets List <[email-masked] =
> Subject: [Spridgets] 995 Huffaker race engine question
> Message-ID:
> 	<[email-masked] =
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=3D"utf-8"
>=20
> Hi Guys and Gals,
> I just rebuilt a Huffaker race engine that had been stored away for =
decades. ?I started it after the rebuild and all looked well after I =
discovered that I had the distributor drive gear in 180 out. ?That took =
me a while to figure out until I replaced all of the plug wires 1 went =
to 4 and 4 went to 1 and 3 to 2 and 2 to 3.
> Ok. ?Here is my real question after running for about 20 minutes with =
varying engine speed, I noticed that about a quart and a half of oil =
decided it didn't wish to stay in the engine any longer and was being =
deposited on the driveway by way of the hole in the bottom of the =
transmission. ?What happened here? ?What should I check?
> By the way, the engine is running 11.5 :1 compression and all so high =
compression. ?It sounded spectacular. ?I am dying to drive it once I get =
you all to give me some idea of what may have happened.
> Thanks a bunch for all of your thoughts.
> Mike C

--Apple-Mail=_5812EA4F-9DFD-4346-B829-6814ACDDD14F
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">The 948 and early 1098 engines were not designed for PCV and, =
as mentioned, only had a draught tube. Obviously this doesn=E2=80=99t do =
anything unless the car is moving. &nbsp;Adding additional vents does =
sometimes help, but it usually will not cure the problem entirely. =
Setting up a PVC is beneficial too, but again, does not always work. =
YMMV<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">There are =
multiple issues to get the scroll seal to function properly. For one =
thing, it=E2=80=99s not uncommon for the surface that faces the gap to =
get wear either from actual contact or from ingress/egress of debris. =
This abrasion can destroy the required tolerance to function properly. =
Correct tolerance is .0015" to .004=E2=80=9D. So, what would be =
recommended when rebuilding an engine, is to set the half moon piece =
before it is line bored and than not remove it. This will clean up the =
surface, store the tolerance, and have it centered. I have photos of the =
kind of damage I mention above, but unfortunately cannot post photos =
here. This is the best case scenario for potential success, but often =
times they will still weep or leak anyway. Even if they don=E2=80=99t =
leak much when running, chances are they will drip, drip, drip when you =
shut off the engine. I have been successful doing it this way. However, =
&nbsp;if you really want to cure the leak, the seal kit I have is the =
only sure cure. I have these on about a dozen race engines around the =
country and many more on street cars. Everybody is very happy with the =
results, even Hap Waldrop, who, because of his experience with the Moss =
kit, didn=E2=80=99t believe it would work. After installing two on =
customer cars, he gave this endorsement:</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><div class=3D""><a =
href=3D"http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,2681890,2681890#msg-2681890=
" =
class=3D"">http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,2681890,2681890#msg-2681=
890</a></div></div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">I =
have one particular well known shop who has installed more than 5 with =
great results.</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">See more about it here:</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><a =
href=3D"http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/SealKit/SealKit.htm" =
class=3D"">http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/SealKit/SealKit.htm</a></d=
iv><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Gerard</div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><div><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Mar 30, 2015, at 11:00 AM, <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a> wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><span =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Message: 5</span><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:16:16 +0000 =
(UTC)</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">From: "</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">" &lt;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">&gt;</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">To: Spridgets List =
&lt;</span><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">&gt;</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Subject: [Spridgets] 995 =
Huffaker race engine question</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Message-ID:</span><br =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: pre; widows: =
auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">	=
</span><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">&lt;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
om" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: =
auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</=
a><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: =
auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">&gt;</span><br =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Content-Type: text/plain; =
charset=3D"utf-8"</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Hi Guys and =
Gals,</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">I just rebuilt a Huffaker =
race engine that had been stored away for decades. ?I started it after =
the rebuild and all looked well after I discovered that I had the =
distributor drive gear in 180 out. ?That took me a while to figure out =
until I replaced all of the plug wires 1 went to 4 and 4 went to 1 and 3 =
to 2 and 2 to 3.</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Ok. ?Here is my real =
question after running for about 20 minutes with varying engine speed, I =
noticed that about a quart and a half of oil decided it didn't wish to =
stay in the engine any longer and was being deposited on the driveway by =
way of the hole in the bottom of the transmission. ?What happened here? =
?What should I check?</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">By the way, the engine is =
running 11.5 :1 compression and all so high compression. ?It sounded =
spectacular. ?I am dying to drive it once I get you all to give me some =
idea of what may have happened.</span><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Thanks a bunch for all of your =
thoughts.</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Mike =
C</span></div></blockquote></div><br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_5812EA4F-9DFD-4346-B829-6814ACDDD14F--

--===============7500549358724468255==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7500549358724468255==--

---

From: Gerard via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:11:02 -0700

--===============2964004727536382101==

--Apple-Mail=_C21BF47C-5D74-48A4-9D06-431D199AF2EE
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

 So, I was told I can post pictures, so here goes=E2=80=A6

> On Mar 30, 2015, at 6:13 PM, Gerard <[email-masked]> =
>=20
> I have one particular well known shop who has installed more than 5 =
with great results.
>=20
> See more about it here:
>=20
> http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/SealKit/SealKit.htm =
<http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/SealKit/SealKit.htm>
>=20
> Gerard
>=20
>> On Mar 30, 2015, at 11:00 AM, [email-masked] =
>>=20
>> Message: 5
>> Thanks a bunch for all of your thoughts.

--Apple-Mail=_C21BF47C-5D74-48A4-9D06-431D199AF2EE
	type="text/html";
	boundary="Apple-Mail=_F50F71DC-827B-4111-8C9C-73C904C006B5"

--Apple-Mail=_F50F71DC-827B-4111-8C9C-73C904C006B5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=utf-8

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dutf-8"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">&nbsp;So, I was told I can post pictures, so here goes=E2=80=A6=
<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><img height=3D"600" =
width=3D"800" apple-width=3D"yes" apple-height=3D"yes" =
apple-inline=3D"yes" id=3D"311FD5EB-E474-4EFB-B676-0ED7EDC53777" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]" =
class=3D""><img height=3D"600" width=3D"800" apple-width=3D"yes" =
apple-height=3D"yes" apple-inline=3D"yes" =
id=3D"05131C9B-0038-4859-A372-DE4996559715" =
src=3D"cid:[email-masked]" =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><div><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Mar 30, 2015, at 6:13 PM, Gerard &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><meta =
http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html charset=3Dutf-8" =
class=3D""><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: =
space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" class=3D"">The 948 and =
early 1098 engines were not designed for PCV and, as mentioned, only had =
a draught tube. Obviously this doesn=E2=80=99t do anything unless the =
car is moving. &nbsp;Adding additional vents does sometimes help, but it =
usually will not cure the problem entirely. Setting up a PVC is =
beneficial too, but again, does not always work. YMMV<div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">There are multiple issues to get the =
scroll seal to function properly. For one thing, it=E2=80=99s not =
uncommon for the surface that faces the gap to get wear either from =
actual contact or from ingress/egress of debris. This abrasion can =
destroy the required tolerance to function properly. Correct tolerance =
is .0015" to .004=E2=80=9D. So, what would be recommended when =
rebuilding an engine, is to set the half moon piece before it is line =
bored and than not remove it. This will clean up the surface, store the =
tolerance, and have it centered. I have photos of the kind of damage I =
mention above, but unfortunately cannot post photos here. This is the =
best case scenario for potential success, but often times they will =
still weep or leak anyway. Even if they don=E2=80=99t leak much when =
running, chances are they will drip, drip, drip when you shut off the =
engine. I have been successful doing it this way. However, &nbsp;if you =
really want to cure the leak, the seal kit I have is the only sure cure. =
I have these on about a dozen race engines around the country and many =
more on street cars. Everybody is very happy with the results, even Hap =
Waldrop, who, because of his experience with the Moss kit, didn=E2=80=99t =
believe it would work. After installing two on customer cars, he gave =
this endorsement:</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D""><div class=3D""><a =
href=3D"http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,2681890,2681890#msg-2681890=
" =
class=3D"">http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?3,2681890,2681890#msg-2681=
890</a></div></div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">I =
have one particular well known shop who has installed more than 5 with =
great results.</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div =
class=3D"">See more about it here:</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><a =
href=3D"http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/SealKit/SealKit.htm" =
class=3D"">http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/SealKit/SealKit.htm</a></d=
iv><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Gerard</div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""><div class=3D""><blockquote type=3D"cite" =
class=3D""><div class=3D"">On Mar 30, 2015, at 11:00 AM, <a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a> wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><span =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Message: 5</span><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:16:16 +0000 =
(UTC)</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">From: "</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">" &lt;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">&gt;</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">To: Spridgets List =
&lt;</span><a href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">&gt;</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Subject: [Spridgets] 995 =
Huffaker race engine question</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Message-ID:</span><br =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span =
class=3D"Apple-tab-span" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: pre; widows: =
auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;">	=
</span><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">&lt;</span><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]=
om" style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: =
auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</=
a><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: =
normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: =
normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: =
auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; =
display: inline !important;" class=3D"">&gt;</span><br =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span =
style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Content-Type: text/plain; =
charset=3D"utf-8"</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Hi Guys and =
Gals,</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">I just rebuilt a Huffaker =
race engine that had been stored away for decades. ?I started it after =
the rebuild and all looked well after I discovered that I had the =
distributor drive gear in 180 out. ?That took me a while to figure out =
until I replaced all of the plug wires 1 went to 4 and 4 went to 1 and 3 =
to 2 and 2 to 3.</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: =
12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Ok. ?Here is my real =
question after running for about 20 minutes with varying engine speed, I =
noticed that about a quart and a half of oil decided it didn't wish to =
stay in the engine any longer and was being deposited on the driveway by =
way of the hole in the bottom of the transmission. ?What happened here? =
?What should I check?</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; =
text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">By the way, the engine is =
running 11.5 :1 compression and all so high compression. ?It sounded =
spectacular. ?I am dying to drive it once I get you all to give me some =
idea of what may have happened.</span><br style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: =
Helvetica; font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; =
font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; =
orphans: auto; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: =
none; white-space: normal; widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: none; display: inline =
!important;" class=3D"">Thanks a bunch for all of your =
thoughts.</span><br style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;" =
class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 12px; =
font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: auto; text-align: =
start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; =
widows: auto; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; float: =
none; display: inline !important;" class=3D"">Mike =
C</span></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></div></div></blockquote></div><br =
class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_F50F71DC-827B-4111-8C9C-73C904C006B5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=ScrollSeal0004.jpg
	x-mac-type=4A504547;
	x-unix-mode=0644;
	name="ScrollSeal0004.jpg"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_F50F71DC-827B-4111-8C9C-73C904C006B5
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Disposition: inline;
	filename=ScrollSeal0005.jpg
	x-mac-type=4A504547;
	x-unix-mode=0644;
	name="ScrollSeal0005.jpg"
Content-Id: <[email-masked]>

--Apple-Mail=_F50F71DC-827B-4111-8C9C-73C904C006B5--

--Apple-Mail=_C21BF47C-5D74-48A4-9D06-431D199AF2EE--

--===============2964004727536382101==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============2964004727536382101==--