Subject: [Spridgets] Subject: Re: How can you kill an alternator

From: Mark Haynes via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 20:08:42 GMT

Trevor-
There is definitely a high end on the bearings' RPM for longevity, That's why quite a few, if not most, racers put smaller pulleys on their water pumps and alternators-or use an 'Underdrive' pulley on the crank. If you run these two ancillaries at high RPMs for long periods of time, you get cavitation in the water pump, which leads to overheating, and bearings do burn out in the alternator. 

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward

Well there's your answer.   I had to go through three alternators from AutoZone before I 
got one that would last more than a year.   I think their "rebuilding" process 
is not much more than clean and polish.  :-) 

Sent from my keyboard

> On Feb 2, 2015, at 12:34 PM, Trevor Jessie <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> I'm just trying to rule out possibilities on how I'm killing so many alternators.  
They fail slowly.  Gradually requiring more and more rpms before they start charging and 
eventually they quit charging regardless on rpms.  I'm on my fourth "rebuilt" 
Lucas unit from a major chain autoparts store.

____________________________________________________________
How Old Men Tighten Skin
63 Year Old Man Shares DIY Skin Tightening Method You Can Do From Home
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/54cfd98f5a462598f4795st03duc
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark Haynes via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 21:35:27 GMT

Whoops, thinking in reverse here. Thanks for catching that,Jim.
It's a good thing I don't drive like that!!!

Mark Haynes

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Mark Haynes'" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [Spridgets] Subject: Re:  How can you kill an alternator
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 15:28:17 -0600

Don't you mean larger pulley on the alternator and water pump and/or a
smaller pulley on the crank?
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark
Haynes via Spridgets
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 2:09 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] Subject: Re: How can you kill an alternator

Trevor-
There is definitely a high end on the bearings' RPM for longevity, That's
why quite a few, if not most, racers put smaller pulleys on their water
pumps and alternators-or use an 'Underdrive' pulley on the crank. If you run
these two ancillaries at high RPMs for long periods of time, you get
cavitation in the water pump, which leads to overheating, and bearings do
burn out in the alternator. 

Mark Haynes

Well there's your answer.   I had to go through three alternators from
AutoZone before I 
got one that would last more than a year.   I think their "rebuilding"
process 
is not much more than clean and polish.  :-) 

Sent from my keyboard

> I'm just trying to rule out possibilities on how I'm killing so many
alternators.  
They fail slowly.  Gradually requiring more and more rpms before they start
charging and eventually they quit charging regardless on rpms.  I'm on my
fourth "rebuilt" 
Lucas unit from a major chain autoparts store.

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

------------------------

[email-masked]