Subject: Re: [Spridgets] hydraulic lines and fuel line?

From: Bob Kitterer via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 17:17:22 -0700

--===============5658773256108959851==
 boundary="Apple-Mail=_11A0822A-D264-4C41-9AF9-6176E0DAD697"

--Apple-Mail=_11A0822A-D264-4C41-9AF9-6176E0DAD697
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

Jim,

If you are doing a concours car then ignore these comments.

If you have the old brake clutch lines then this may be an option.  I =
went to my local auto parts store which had the proper size brake line =
in fixed lengths.  They also had the tool to do the double flange needed =
for these lines.  I got all the lines from them and they loaned me the =
flange tool.  You will need most of the fittings from the old lines, the =
fittings on the new lines from this source and I suspect and regular =
parts house are not correct for our cars.  Pick up a small tubing bender =
from a number of sources and bend the new line to match the old line. =
When I did my car this was much cheaper than any source I found.

I use Dot 5 (Silicon) brake fluid only because I do not the brake fluid =
eating the paint.  When I last did the car (1997) getting seals was no =
problem.  The car is currently setting waiting for me to find good =
seals.  For me unless you want to protect your paint is the only reason =
to use this brake fluid.

my two cents

Bob  and Dolores

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
2013 Miata

> On Feb 14, 2015, at 3:35 PM, bmwwxman . via Spridgets =
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>=20
> Making slow progress on the brakes and suspension for my MKIII Midget. =
 Soon it will be time to install hydraulic and fuel lines.  What are my =
options?  Mo$$ shows a brake set available in copper-nickel alloy. Are =
there other options?  What about fuel line and clutch line?  Might as =
well do this right while I'm at it.=20
>=20
> Also, what's the story in Dot 5 brake fluid? Worth doing?
>=20
> --=20
> Cheers!!
> Jim Johnson
>=20
> ------------------------
>=20
> [email-masked]
>=20
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>=20
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_11A0822A-D264-4C41-9AF9-6176E0DAD697
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=us-ascii

<html><head><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html =
charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D"">Jim,<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">If =
you are doing a concours car then ignore these comments.</div><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">If you have the old =
brake clutch lines then this may be an option. &nbsp;I went to my local =
auto parts store which had the proper size brake line in fixed lengths. =
&nbsp;They also had the tool to do the double flange needed for these =
lines. &nbsp;I got all the lines from them and they loaned me the flange =
tool. &nbsp;You will need most of the fittings from the old lines, the =
fittings on the new lines from this source and I suspect and regular =
parts house are not correct for our cars. &nbsp;Pick up a small tubing =
bender from a number of sources and bend the new line to match the old =
line. When I did my car this was much cheaper than any source I =
found.</div><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">I use =
Dot 5 (Silicon) brake fluid only because I do not the brake fluid eating =
the paint. &nbsp;When I last did the car (1997) getting seals was no =
problem. &nbsp;The car is currently setting waiting for me to find good =
seals. &nbsp;For me unless you want to protect your paint is the only =
reason to use this brake fluid.</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">my two cents</div><div class=3D""><br =
class=3D""></div><div class=3D""><span style=3D"font-family: Helvetica; =
font-size: 14px; orphans: 2; widows: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto;" =
class=3D"">Bob &nbsp;and Dolores</span><br class=3D""><div =
apple-content-edited=3D"true" class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; border-spacing: 0px;"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: =
normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: =
normal; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;  "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; " class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: =
-webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: =
normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;  "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; " class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; =
letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-indent: =
0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;  "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; " class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px;  "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; " class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica;  font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; " class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica;  font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; " class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica;  font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; " class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica;  font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; =
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; "><div style=3D"word-wrap: =
break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: =
after-white-space; " class=3D""><span class=3D"Apple-style-span" =
style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: =
Helvetica; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; orphans: 2; =
text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; =
word-spacing: 0px; border-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: =
0px; font-size: 14px;"><div style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space;" =
class=3D""><div class=3D""><div class=3D""><div class=3D""><div =
class=3D""><br class=3D"">1960 Austin Healey Sprite&nbsp;(Mk IV in =
disguise)<br class=3D"">1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk&nbsp;III (Trevor) - =
still in boxes</div></div></div></div><div class=3D"">2013 =
Miata</div></div></span></div></span></div></span></div></span></div></spa=
n></div></span></div></span></div></span></div></span></span>
</div>
<br class=3D""><div><blockquote type=3D"cite" class=3D""><div =
class=3D"">On Feb 14, 2015, at 3:35 PM, bmwwxman . via Spridgets &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><div class=3D""><div dir=3D"ltr" =
class=3D"">Making slow progress on the brakes and suspension for my =
MKIII Midget.&nbsp; Soon it will be time to install hydraulic and fuel =
lines.&nbsp; What are my options?&nbsp; Mo$$ shows a brake set available =
in copper-nickel alloy. Are there other options?&nbsp; What about fuel =
line and clutch line?&nbsp; Might as well do this right while I'm at =
it.&nbsp;<div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div><div class=3D"">Also, =
what's the story in Dot 5 brake fluid? Worth doing?<br clear=3D"all" =
class=3D""><div class=3D""><br class=3D""></div>-- <br class=3D""><div =
class=3D"gmail_signature"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"">Cheers!!<br =
class=3D"">Jim Johnson<br class=3D""><div style=3D"display:inline" =
class=3D""></div><div style=3D"display:inline" class=3D""></div><div =
style=3D"display:inline" class=3D""></div></div><div dir=3D"ltr" =
class=3D""><br class=3D""></div></div>
</div></div>
------------------------<br class=3D""><br class=3D""><a =
href=3D"mailto:[email-masked]" =
class=3D"">[email-masked]</a><br class=3D""><br =
class=3D"">Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br class=3D"">Suggested=
 annual donation: $12.75<br class=3D""><br class=3D"">Archive: =
http://www.team.net/forums<br class=3D"">Unsubscribe/Manage: =
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]<br =
class=3D""></div></blockquote></div><br class=3D""></div></body></html>=

--Apple-Mail=_11A0822A-D264-4C41-9AF9-6176E0DAD697--

--===============5658773256108959851==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============5658773256108959851==--

---

From: dwoerpel via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 11:24:32 -0600

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--===============0234011628811803220==
 boundary="------------070404040009020101030407"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
--------------070404040009020101030407
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi Jim,

FWIW:

Years ago I purchased stainless lines from Classic Performance 
Specialties in NY. (Also known as Classic tubes) they had the Bugeye 
lines all made up and in stock and were very good to deal with.  The 
main all lines came with the proper fittings (Bugeye has different 
fittings).  Main line came coiled but the metal is easy to work.

Here is their web site:   http://www.classictube.com/

Enter your car in the search window.  Note:  The Midget is listed under 
"Make: Austin Healey".

The prices are a bit dear and I didn't pay that much!  I really wanted 
stainless steel and I couldn't make a bubble flare back then.

Good luck!

Dave W.

G

On 2/14/2015 4:35 PM, bmwwxman . via Spridgets wrote:
> Making slow progress on the brakes and suspension for my MKIII 
> Midget.  Soon it will be time to install hydraulic and fuel lines.  
> What are my options?  Mo$$ shows a brake set available in 
> copper-nickel alloy. Are there other options?  What about fuel line 
> and clutch line?  Might as well do this right while I'm at it.
>
> -- 
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

--------------070404040009020101030407
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<html>
  <head>
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
  <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Hi Jim,<br>
      <br>
      FWIW:<br>
      <br>
      Years ago I purchased stainless lines from Classic Performance
      Specialties in NY. (Also known as Classic tubes) they had the
      Bugeye lines all made up and in stock and were very good to deal
      with.  The main all lines came with the proper fittings (Bugeye
      has different fittings).  Main line came coiled but the metal is
      easy to work.<br>
      <br>
      Here is their web site:   <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.classictube.com/">http://www.classictube.com/</a><br>
      <br>
      Enter your car in the search window.  Note:  The Midget is listed
      under "Make: Austin Healey".<br>
      <br>
      The prices are a bit dear and I didn't pay that much!  I really
      wanted stainless steel and I couldn't make a bubble flare back
      then.<br>
      <br>
      Good luck!<br>
      <br>
      Dave W.<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      G<br>
      <br>
      On 2/14/2015 4:35 PM, bmwwxman . via Spridgets wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote
cite="mid:[email-masked]"
      type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">Making slow progress on the brakes and suspension
        for my MKIII Midget.  Soon it will be time to install hydraulic
        and fuel lines.  What are my options?  Mo$$ shows a brake set
        available in copper-nickel alloy. Are there other options?  What
        about fuel line and clutch line?  Might as well do this right
        while I'm at it. 
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Also, what's the story in Dot 5 brake fluid? Worth doing?<br
            clear="all">
          <div><br>
          </div>
          -- <br>
          <div class="gmail_signature">
            <div dir="ltr">Cheers!!<br>
              Jim Johnson<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr"><br>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">------------------------

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>

Archive: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive">http://www.team.net/archive</a>
Forums: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/forums">http://www.team.net/forums</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
    <br>
  </body>
</html>

--------------070404040009020101030407--

--===============0234011628811803220==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============0234011628811803220==--

---

From: Ewing via Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 14:32:04 -0600

--===============2579311645931858958==

--Apple-Mail=_3720CFAE-A0C7-4AE4-9D50-B55B098E7BD6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
	charset=windows-1252

CuNi lines are the current best option for DIY'ers.  The line is easily =
bent and has good corrosion resistance.  See FedHill for info:

http://www.fedhillusa.com

No they don't give me money and there stuff is expensive but they do =
have the right fittings and a great flare tool.

Lester

On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:24 AM, dwoerpel via Spridgets =
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>=20
> FWIW:
>=20
> Years ago I purchased stainless lines from Classic Performance =
Specialties in NY. (Also known as Classic tubes) they had the Bugeye =
lines all made up and in stock and were very good to deal with.  The =
main all lines came with the proper fittings (Bugeye has different =
fittings).  Main line came coiled but the metal is easy to work.
> Enter your car in the search window.  Note:  The Midget is listed =
under "Make: Austin Healey".
>=20
> The prices are a bit dear and I didn't pay that much!  I really wanted =
>> Making slow progress on the brakes and suspension for my MKIII =
Midget.  Soon it will be time to install hydraulic and fuel lines.  What =
are my options?  Mo$$ shows a brake set available in copper-nickel =
alloy. Are there other options?  What about fuel line and clutch line?  =
Might as well do this right while I'm at it.=20
>> Also, what's the story in Dot 5 brake fluid? Worth doing?
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

--Apple-Mail=_3720CFAE-A0C7-4AE4-9D50-B55B098E7BD6
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
	charset=windows-1252

<html><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html charset=windows-1252"></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">CuNi lines are the current best option for DIY'ers. &nbsp;The line is easily bent and has good corrosion resistance. &nbsp;See FedHill for info:<div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.fedhillusa.com">http://www.fedhillusa.com</a></div><div><br></div><div>No they don't give me money and there stuff is expensive but they do have the right fittings and a great flare tool.</div><div><br></div><div>Lester</div><div><br></div><div><br><div><div>On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:24 AM, dwoerpel via Spridgets &lt;<a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>&gt; wrote:</div><br class="Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type="cite">
  
    <meta content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv="Content-Type">
  
  <div bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">Hi Jim,<br>
      <br>
      FWIW:<br>
      <br>
      Years ago I purchased stainless lines from Classic Performance
      Specialties in NY. (Also known as Classic tubes) they had the
      Bugeye lines all made up and in stock and were very good to deal
      with.&nbsp; The main all lines came with the proper fittings (Bugeye
      has different fittings).&nbsp; Main line came coiled but the metal is
      easy to work.<br>
      <br>
      Here is their web site:&nbsp;&nbsp; <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.classictube.com/">http://www.classictube.com/</a><br>
      <br>
      Enter your car in the search window.&nbsp; Note:&nbsp; The Midget is listed
      under "Make: Austin Healey".<br>
      <br>
      The prices are a bit dear and I didn't pay that much!&nbsp; I really
      wanted stainless steel and I couldn't make a bubble flare back
      then.<br>
      <br>
      Good luck!<br>
      <br>
      Dave W.<br>
      <br>
      <br>
      <br>
      G<br>
      <br>
      On 2/14/2015 4:35 PM, bmwwxman . via Spridgets wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote cite="mid:[email-masked]" type="cite">
      <div dir="ltr">Making slow progress on the brakes and suspension
        for my MKIII Midget.&nbsp; Soon it will be time to install hydraulic
        and fuel lines.&nbsp; What are my options?&nbsp; Mo$$ shows a brake set
        available in copper-nickel alloy. Are there other options?&nbsp; What
        about fuel line and clutch line?&nbsp; Might as well do this right
        while I'm at it.&nbsp;
        <div><br>
        </div>
        <div>Also, what's the story in Dot 5 brake fluid? Worth doing?<br clear="all">
          <div><br>
          </div>
          -- <br>
          <div class="gmail_signature">
            <div dir="ltr">Cheers!!<br>
              Jim Johnson<br>
            </div>
            <div dir="ltr"><br>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="mimeAttachmentHeader"></fieldset>
      <br>
      <pre wrap="">------------------------

------------------------<br><br><a href="mailto:[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a><br><br>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html<br>Suggested annual donation: $12.75<br><br>Archive: http://www.team.net/archive<br>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums<br>Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]<br></blockquote></div><br></div></body></html>
--Apple-Mail=_3720CFAE-A0C7-4AE4-9D50-B55B098E7BD6--

--===============2579311645931858958==
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

------------------------

[email-masked]

--===============2579311645931858958==--