Subject: [Spridgets] Hope is alive

From: Kristi & Lambert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 11:10:11 -0500

Hi everyone,

So after 6 months of not having the 1971 Morris 1100 (Hope as we call her) up
and running - she is finally up, running and inspected!!  What a journey and
one I hope to not have to go through again, at least anytime soon.  So for
those who don't remember, or don't know what happened here is a quick (or as
quick as I can) explanation.  Back in June I was driving her home from a local
car show when I lost 3rd and 4th gear - no grinding, nothing - would shift but
was not doing anything.  So we limped her home from just outside of Red Hill
to home (normally about a 20 minute drive) driving 25 mph.  After many
grueling hours of trying to figure out if this was going to be an easy fix we
finally determined the engine was going to have to come out :-(.  So the
engine came out then the trans (which is all part of the engine) had to come
apart.  Again after many grueling hours it was finally determined that 1
stinking screw deep in the bottom of the transmission had come loose - not
something that should have happened since the engine and trans only have 22000
miles on them (not bad for a 43 year old car).  Got the screw back in place
then started the rebuild which turned into another nightmare.  What should
have been fairly easy was not - broken gear, roller bearing and countless
other issues, we finally get her going again with lots, and lots of help
(Thank you Joe we owe you more than you will ever know for all of your help).
Go to get the car from Joe and Lambert is driving her home and low and behold
another problem rears its ugly head - Lambert cannot drive faster than 40
because the car is just dogging - losses power when he tries to push her.  Joe
then comes to our house and finds that the jet on the carb was bent but more
importantly there is a decent amount of gunk in the fuel hose.  Get the jet
fixed, clean out the hose and Hope drives like a dream now.  We still have a
couple of minor kinks to fix but otherwise she runs, stops, and all of the
other things a car is to do.  And to make everything final - she is also
inspected and legal again!!

A HUGE Thank you to all who helped Lambert with Hope - Especially George Van
Horn and Rakafish LLC for allowing Lambert to store Hope at the shop while he
worked on her.

Kristi

Kristi & Lambert
'74 RWA Midget
'77 RB Midget
'71 Morris 1100 MK 2
Philadelphia MG Club Treasurer
Brits at the Village Registrar

Check out Philadelphia MG Club on Facebook
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive