Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Corrosion protectors

From: dwoerpel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 16:41:19 -0600

Tim,

I've been using one of these for 20 years.  Lot cheaper back then but 
look around and you may find one for less.  If your battery is too low 
place a block of suitably sized wood under the battery. No worries with 
corrosion.  Here is the Moss page but Victoria British may sell them as 
well.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29387&SortOrder=10&gclid=CKu9hJa5rcICFWFgMgodDA0Afw

or use: *http://tinyurl.com/mudjzt3

*Dave W.
'59 :{)
'59 MGA 1500*

*

On 12/4/2014 12:23 PM, Tim Collins wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Yesterday I took the battery out of my Sprite to clean all around the 
> battery tray and firewall. That area was a problem during the 
> restoration in 2008 so I want to keep up with corrosion. I found the 
> area to be in great shape. I cleaned up a little bit of dirt and dust 
> and then gave the area a good wash with baking soda and water.
>
> When I installed the battery in '08. I used some of those Christmas 
> colored Terminal Corrosion Protectors. I don't know if they did a 
> spectacular job of preventing corrosion or if the liberal dose of 
> dielectric grease did the job - or both. Anyway, I got to wondering 
> how long those terminal protectors last. I did pick up new protectors 
> at the parts store today, but haven't been able to find any 
> instructions that say how long they last. Checked the Internet and 
> didn't find anything there.
>
> Does anyone know how long terminal protectors are good for before they 
> go terminal? (Autocraft Part # AC619)
>
> Tim
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 17:51:25 -0500

I have one of those out in the garage.  It's new, but I don't remember where I
got it.  Didn't know they were so valuable.  :-)

Sent from my keyboard

> On Dec 4, 2014, at 5:41 PM, dwoerpel <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Tim,
>
http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29387&SortOrder
=10&gclid=CKu9hJa5rcICFWFgMgodDA0Afw
>> go terminal? (Autocraft Part # AC619)
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: dwoerpel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 16:57:04 -0600

Seems high to me too.  Of course one could have one made by a guy close 
to me out of carbon fiber.

On 12/4/2014 4:51 PM, Rick Fisk wrote:
> I have one of those out in the garage.  It's new, but I don't remember where I got it.  Didn't know they were so valuable.  :-)
>
> Sent from my keyboard
>
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 15:22:57 -0800

We just fiber-glassed the whole area where the battery fits.  Bill in Oregon
=============================================
-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
dwoerpel
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2014 2:57 PM
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Corrosion protectors

[email-masked]

---

From: Bob Spruck <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 18:43:35 -0500

Yeah - that sure is expensive. As the self proclaimed Coweta County 
Cheapskate, I made one from a plastic container I was going to recycle, 
painted it black and it looks and works great. You may also be able to 
get a boat battery box cheaper and use as is or cut it down to look like 
the $50 dollar one.

  I also screwed a piece of 1"x 2"x 10" wood to the firewall behind the 
battery to prevent corrosion. Most of my Spridgets have the two little 
bumps on the firewall eaten away. The wood keeps the battery away from 
the metal and the hold downs still work  fine.

Bob Spruck
MGMaven
Sharpsburg, GA
On 12/4/2014 5:41 PM, dwoerpel wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Cebridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 21:08:39 -0600

Tongue is hurting so had to throw this out there for the "originality"
personalities.  The original battery tray was bakelite and isnt available from
any supplier in the dimensions that fit a bugeye BUT if you order a BN2
battery tray from AH Spares ( hard phenolic resin closely resembling bakelite)
and cut 1" out of the middle ( width not length) and then epoxy it back
together you can have an "original" looking battery tray :)

Leo

> On Dec 4, 2014, at 5:43 PM, Bob Spruck <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> This message cannot be displayed because of the way it is formatted. Ask the
sender to send it again using a different format or email program. text/plain
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Lester <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 10:31:31 -0600

Ok, this one?

http://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/big-healey/Electrical-General/BATTERY
-TRAY-6-volt.aspx

or another from this page..

http://www.ahspares.co.uk/product-search/default.aspx?keyword=battery%20tray

Lester

> sender to send it again using a different format or email program.
text/plain
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Lester <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 11:47:30 -0600

Ed I just tried it and the top one won't work as a tiny url either.. odd..
but the bottom one works a treat.

Lester

On Dec 6, 2014, at 11:15 AM, Ed Kaler wrote:

> Unfortunately the page you are trying to get to has been moved or possibly
deleted.
>
> To continue, choose an option from the left hand menu, or the top menu of
this page.
> --------------------------------
> I'll wager a tinyURL.com link WOULD have worked properly, Lester <G>.
> And NOPE, a 6-volt will NOT work.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Cebridge <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 23:02:03 -0600

ELG-207. The 12v one :). It is the right width front to back but is just a
little long.  When i did the tray for iris i had to cut an inch out i belive.
I used a phenolic repair kit used on large switchgear breakers to epoxy the
two parts back together.  The epoxy was black and didnt dry with a high sheen.
It was almost impossible to see that the tray had been seamed.  Ill see if i
can find the name of the epoxy kit if you want me to.

Leo

> On Dec 6, 2014, at 10:31 AM, Lester <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Ok, this one?
>
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]