Subject: Re: [Spridgets] What was your first car?

From: "bmwwxman ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 12:02:09 -0600

That was my favorite Pontiac of all time, Lin!  Except I always wanted a
convertible.  I never owned one though.  My first car that I actually owned
I bought in England in 1965 (link below).  I sold it for enough money to
get married in 1968...  Shoulda kept the darned car!  It had the UK plates
KPP 123 on it. I restored it and sold it to a Chief Petty Officer who
brought it back to the states.  Interestingly enough he contacted me in
1976 and offered to sell it back to me because he knew how much I loved it.
(I'm still head-over-heels for that car!!)  Unfortunately I was in the
process of divesting myself of that first marriage at the time and didn't
have the money.  When I finally could have afforded to buy it I was years
too late and had lost track of its location and owner.

1946 MG TC exactly like this one right down to the color and upholstery!
<http://www.brightonmotorsports.com/sites/default/files/inventory/vehicles/cars/sold/mg-tc-rhd-roadster-1946_31.jpg>

Cheers!!
Jim

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 4:23 AM, Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> Hi Guys and Gals,
> I know this topic has been covered but I'm covering it again in more depth
> and with photos that all can see. This link shows my 1st car, year, make
> model and of course color at an outstanding restoration; 1965 Pontiac
> Tempest in Fontana Blue, oddly my parents ordered the same car and color
> but 4 door in 1965 and I was there at the showroom watching the event. I
> bought mine from an old high school boyfriend and he was reluctant to sell
> it for such a high price of $50. because she needed lots of TLC that I was
> prepared to give which jumpstarted my freedom. I parked my car side by side
> in my parents driveway next to their 1965 Pontiac Tempest in Fontana blue
> from 1973 to 1976. I was so drawn to the detail of this ad that I saved the
> images from eBay. A year later I looked up the images and to my surprise
> they have restored possibly hundreds of cars both foreign and domestic to
> the same outstanding condition. I've got to visit this company and commend
> them for their amazing work. This car was sold for 16K which was much lower
> than the buy now @ around 25K. I was so drawn to it I bought a 1:18 scale
> diecast model in the same color : ) instead of buying the car.
>
> http://www.schmitt.com/viewimage.asp?ID=4130
>
> What was your first car? Post an image from your favorite search engine
> hopefully in the same color.
> Lin
>
> 62 California Sprite "Pinky"
> "Pay if Forward" in honor of Frank Clarici III
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
High Plains Youth Hockey <http://www.highplainsyouthhockey.org>
Dodge City Trail of Fame <http://www.DodgeCityTrailofFame.org>
Electronic Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology <http://www.EJSSM.org>

*"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they
look forward to the trip."*

*Winston Churchill*
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Neil Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 13:28:44 -0600

This was my first car while in high school.
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/bel_air/1194801.html
I paid $350 for it, don't remember if it was purchased in the summer of '64
or '65.  I got my license in the summer of '64.  We recovered the seats
with 'real' black naugahyde from Sears, put on a dual exhaust system with
glass packs, and painted the wheels black, which everyone did then.  The
265 c.i. smoked so bad, we put a 283 in and it had an automatic trans
rather than the 3-speed on the column and Corvette 265 ci that this car
has.

My dad's name was on the title and he sold the Chevy without asking me,
while I was in college.  Wish I had that car back.  I certainly can't
afford the one in the Hemmings listing.  My next car was a '61 Chevy Bel
Air 2 door hardtop with the bubble window in the rear. Wish I had that car
back too.  My third car was a '60 Austin-Healey 3000.  I sold that car to
my buddy in the UK.  I still have my other '60 A-H 3000, which I bought in
1984.  I also have two rusted Bugeye body shells and a Bugeye project car.

Neil Anderson

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM, bmwwxman . <[email-masked]> wrote:

> <
> http://www.brightonmotorsports.com/sites/default/files/inventory/vehicles/cars/sold/mg-tc-rhd-roadster-1946_31.jpg
> >
>
>
> Cheers!!
> Jim
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 06:25:10 -0500

Nice MG Jim, I remember in my teens mid 1970's I found an MG TF with a B
engine around the corner from home and the woman wanted 3K so I went to the
bank and brought over 3K in cash. The woman opened the front door and said
a man offered her 3.5K. I knew then and there that it would end horribly
and I wasn't prepared to go back to the bank for more money that I didn't
own. Then my friend sold me her 68 Spitfire for $50.

Yes Jim I would love to have had a convertible 65 Tempest or Lemans or
better still GTO too. What a great car, it was the exact color and model as
my parents so I knew everything about that car and it was my first
opportunity to turn some wrenches because my brother and father didn't have
time to help me. I'm so glad they didn't have time because I can't think of
anything better to do with my free time than turn wrenches, figure out how
to repair with books and forums and of course this list. But i must say
when I was in my 20's I worked for my boyfriend who had a shop and I did
brakes,  tires, and replaced parts for customers so I wan't a mechanic I
was an assistant. I was cold, my joints and muscles were sore, my knuckles
were always bleeding, and my nails were always caked with grease. I enjoyed
learning but my body didn't want to do it for 8 hrs a day. Although if it
was an LBC, vintage VW or BMW motorcycle shop only I think you know the
answer to how long I would work there .......wink!

Lin

62 California Sprite "Pinky"
Pay it forward in honor of Frank Clarici III

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 1:02 PM, bmwwxman . <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> Unsubscribe/Manage <http://www.team.net/forumsUnsubscribe/Manage>:
> *"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that
> they look forward to the trip."*
>
> *Winston Churchill*
------------------------

[email-masked]