Subject: Re: [Spridgets] No oil flow, no joy

From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 21:48:50 -0500

I've seen this before. Take out the fitting for the oil pressure line and
pump about cup of engine into the port. That will prime the pump.  
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2014 7:59 PM
To: 'Spridgets'
Subject: [Spridgets] No oil flow, no joy

List,

After a struggle to shoehorn in a 1275/Datsun Rivergate conversion, I
installed a new battery and starter and cranked the engine, hoping to see
some sign of oil flow before installing plugs and actually running the new
engine. No joy. After a couple of minutes, there was no sign of oil either
at the gauge connecting point or the pipe going to the filter. I dropped the
sump and checked the pickup screen and pipe, put it back together and tried
again. Still no luck. Both the oil pump and cam are new, as is almost
everything in this engine. I did not prime the pump or oil system during the
build. So my question to The List is this: is there anything else I can try
before I just pull the engine and check the oil pump?

TIA,

Ed Woods
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Larry Daniels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 21:53:32 -0500

I would assume that the cup of engine must be heated to melting before one 
can pump it into the port?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

-----Original Message-----

List,

TIA,

Ed Woods
------------------------

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked] 
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 22:39:33 -0500

Make that engine oil. That's what I get for using my phone to email to the
forum. :-) 
Jim

-----Original Message-----

List,

TIA,

Ed Woods
------------------------

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Glen Byrns <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:59:58 -0700

Be sure you filled the oil filter, then remove the plug on the oil galley
located on the side of the block( found facing upward a few inches below the
#4 exhaust port, flood the passage with oil and re- plug. Should prime it
nicely. There are two galley plugs right next to each other, make sure you
pick the oil galley plug.

Glen Byrns

> On Oct 16, 2014, at 5:59 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
>
> List,
>
installed a new battery and starter and cranked the engine, hoping to see some
sign of oil flow before installing plugs and actually running the new engine.
No joy. After a couple of minutes, there was no sign of oil either at the
gauge connecting point or the pipe going to the filter. I dropped the sump and
checked the pickup screen and pipe, put it back together and tried again.
Still no luck. Both the oil pump and cam are new, as is almost everything in
this engine. I did not prime the pump or oil system during the build. So my
question to The List is this: is there anything else I can try before I just
pull the engine and check the oil pump?
------------------------

[email-masked]