Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Water temp question..

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 11:18:51 -0400

Temp reading in the head shouldn't neccessarily be much higher than the
reading in the rad.  But it does more accurately indicate coolant temp in the
engine.  If it's reading high you need to find out why.  Check with another
gauge if you have one.  May be the gauge, may be the radiator.

Sent from my keyboard

> On Sep 17, 2014, at 9:12 AM, Ewing <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Good Morning all!
>
> So, the long saga of getting the go-fast engine running is sorta done.  I
am
> back driving the car. WHEEE!!!
>
> But
>
> Water temp with new radiator cap and antifreeze quickly goes up in 65 F
> ambient temps to close to the max on the gauge..
>
> But..
>
> The temp gauge is now reading off the head rather than off the radiator.
My
> thought is that taking the temp measurements here will show a higher temp
> compared to taking it off the radiator but this is where I ask your
> expertise..
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lester
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Lester <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 20:08:03 -0500

Ok so here is the latest installment of the devil engine.

Please recall, initially, way back in July (?) I reported poor running and
quick testing showed number 4 cyl to have 185 compression with all other
cylinders in the 215 range.  Also remember that this is a new engine built by
someone else and currently has about 35 miles on it.

Remember also that one valve adjuster was broken and later examination reveled
another that was bent (and likely had been that way since I received the
engine) also half of the pushtubes were bentso I replaced all of them.
Adjusted the valve gap.

This car has a 123 Distributor.

I fired her up last week and adjusted the timing by ear just to see how things
were going to run.  A quick drive showed that the water temp kept climbing.

This weekend I replaced the radiator cap and thermostat with a 160 degree one.
I also tested the original one which looks new and functions as new.  I used a
DeWalt IR temp gauge to measure water temp at full open.

After running the car this evening (ambient temp around 83 degrees F with no
direct sun exposure) I observed that the temp climbed slowly and inexorably to
the high side peg.  To try to eliminate possible timing concerns I ran the car
in 4th at around 4000 revs and also in 5th at 3000 revs.  I popped the bonnet
and used the IR temp gauge and measured the thermostat housing at 219 F, the
top left of the radiator (as viewed from the front) was at 219 moving to the
right top showed the same temp.  as I moved down the radiator temps decreased
to a low of 160 F at the lower right (where the lower radiator hose
attaches).

With the engine off  the car boiled and boiled and boiled.  It did spit some
coolant out but not much.

So wise readers and knowers of things Sprite, what do you think is going on?

My thoughts are these:

Compression loss is due to failed headgasket or similar problem (head cracked
etc) or

Timing is too far advanced.

All input is recommended.

Thank you.

Lester

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Ewing <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Good Morning all!
>
am
My
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randy Alkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:33:26 -0400 s=q20140121; t=1411349617; bh=IQCy2C8Lh/mOpXJ36EFwXe7m04cglcRF3NyyjAqQxLY=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=d4lTAkORXqVyvW/cwoFzmQla7aR4+PVp2mscWFhiDnpw1IA66mi55eTxf8jB2k8oW x80OY84MUU+D/BTPMUmictnGBNNpbefwJvhvU6Y19RquoNeGatOFH97CAcVATYvAAV NlAtUfc4ebhUTR0JywAN22cHBHdWEdBsp+37nfY8oucNxN7/9xmO4MnnI0GO8vTRSG i/PbsK6/BcquS7AeAt3+lBQ1EwzlReSZ1gKjBf+AVm2xTwtaCyMWN5O17NEfXxUAcC FlYUfMN/QDJWg0jmM2nI3q+Y5tEay4G+TgVNfH7+9LLU0gkvHOwwKOMoXKtAZpJIiL ElJVBlbQld2/A==

When it was rebuilt were are the freeze plugs replaced and the block flushed?
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lester [email-masked] [bugeye]
  To: [email-masked] ; Spridgets list
  Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:08 PM
  Subject: Bugeye/Frogeye Club..... Re: Water temp question..

  Remember also that one valve adjuster was broken and later examination
reveled another that was bent (and likely had been that way since I received
the engine) also half of the pushtubes were bentso I replaced all of them.
Adjusted the valve gap.

  I fired her up last week and adjusted the timing by ear just to see how
things were going to run.  A quick drive showed that the water temp kept
climbing.

  This weekend I replaced the radiator cap and thermostat with a 160 degree
one.  I also tested the original one which looks new and functions as new.  I
used a DeWalt IR temp gauge to measure water temp at full open.

  So wise readers and knowers of things Sprite, what do you think is going
on?

  My thoughts are these:

  Compression loss is due to failed headgasket or similar problem (head
cracked etc) or

  Thank you.

  Lester

      Good Morning all!

      So, the long saga of getting the go-fast engine running is sorta done.
I am
      back driving the car. WHEEE!!!

      But

      But..

      The temp gauge is now reading off the head rather than off the radiator.
My
      thought is that taking the temp measurements here will show a higher
temp
      compared to taking it off the radiator but this is where I ask your
      expertise..

      Thanks,

      Lester

  __._,_.___

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
  Posted by: Lester <[email-masked]>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

        Reply via web post  . Reply to sender  . Reply to group  . Start a New
Topic  . Messages in this topic (5)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

  Improvements in Yahoo Groups Search
  Searching for new groups to join is easier than ever. We've honed our
algorithm to bring you better search results based on relevance and activity.
Try it today!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

  If you wish to unsubscribe from the Austin Healey Bugeye Frogeye Sprite
Club, please send a blank email to:  [email-masked]
  If you no longer want to receive emails, but wish to remain a member of the
group, you may go to the website http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bugeye/ and
change your subscription to "Web Only" and you will not receive any emails.

  Visit Your Group a.. New Members 2
   . Privacy . Unsubscribe . Terms of Use

  .

   __,_._,___
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 18:37:10 -0700

I had a used engine I bought from overseas. I sensed it had been used in a
stationary application. Turns out the rear part of block's water system was
full of sediment.
I had the over-heating symptoms. Nothing would run out of the water system
bleed valve at the back of the engine.
I replaced the valve with a pipe plug, after running a long drill bit in the
hole by hand. Then I would drive it a bit until it was hot and pressurized;
then I'd put on a leather glove and remove the plug with a small socket set.
It would blow all the sediment out. I did this over and over. Periodically I
had to use the long drill bit to clear the hole.
Works fine now. It was a 1500cc Datsun push rod engine which may have been
copied from the olde Austins. Bill in Oregon
=========================================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Lester
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:08 PM
To: [email-masked]; Spridgets list
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Water temp question..

Please recall, initially, way back in July (?) I reported poor running and
quick testing showed number 4 cyl to have 185 compression with all other
cylinders in the 215 range.  Also remember that this is a new engine built
by
someone else and currently has about 35 miles on it.

reveled

things

This weekend I replaced the radiator cap and thermostat with a 160 degree
one.
I also tested the original one which looks new and functions as new.  I used
a
DeWalt IR temp gauge to measure water temp at full open.

After running the car this evening (ambient temp around 83 degrees F with no
direct sun exposure) I observed that the temp climbed slowly and inexorably
to
the high side peg.  To try to eliminate possible timing concerns I ran the
car
in 4th at around 4000 revs and also in 5th at 3000 revs.  I popped the
bonnet
and used the IR temp gauge and measured the thermostat housing at 219 F, the
top left of the radiator (as viewed from the front) was at 219 moving to the
right top showed the same temp.  as I moved down the radiator temps
decreased
to a low of 160 F at the lower right (where the lower radiator hose
attaches).

My thoughts are these:

cracked
etc) or

Thank you.

Lester

am
My
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Lester <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 21:14:27 -0500

Who knows.. I can't say anything about the build other than the data I have
presented.

Lester

------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Randy Alkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 22:35:43 -0400 s=q20140121; t=1411353352; bh=wFdwfxc3P1cypW9NUpHMqD4Qqsg1glWd8drMyCZ9xt0=; h=Received:Received:Message-ID:From:To:Subject:Date:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=bYKqJWpMX+yzn3YoMAaTa1nPH9IGwdwE5pf5JHpMswQDj++9vBElNxkxZcNE2fNZa fNJjiZgPEy1vlVVqWSrDfioxxyknjMFspAQMbCcAFW9YIZbHDMVofsG7MQ72aMPlzg ufDVSDd/G8o7KBDnhoy2Qprz2BcMts9l3Bso5ZdKEwqr02W26NJrbcW+3cg9sVFPmK /HYPmY6fr2eg3wV4Rs5pFMKSOfPV1GnTZDhm2brWHEQ5KKqLaqultvB7TiL96rHq8l xhdEA63ro8y4fV8qUimvnBKJbw7bwz4MFbYmrznB+9zDhT7tdqpvNMkq0pvi4zUYH1 mv2fD/nx4nLEw==

I have seen shops do poor jobs of cleaning.  Try flushing with some Tide 
Detergent and clean water and see how dirty the water comes out. Add a 
handful and run the engine with the cap on but lose for about an hour. 
Drian it and see how much muck comes out.  If you haave to after that take 
thermo out and flush through the hoses without them hooked to the rad.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Water temp question..

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked] 
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Fornal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 06:24:41 -0500

I had a guy who was a genius with Chevy engines, rebuild my GTO engine
years ago. When it was in, and I started driving, it was also overheating.
When I finally figured it out. the builder had put the marks on the timing
gears in the Chevy configuration, not the Pontiac. Once I put that
straight, the overheating went away.
Since you don't know the builder, this may be something to consider.

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 9:14 PM, Lester <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

-- 
DON JULIO 1942

http://tequilabrad.com/
------------------------

[email-masked]