Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Cam removal on 1275 in car

From: derf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 20:02:44 -0500

Pretty sure it can be done.  Radiator and grill come out, I think.
May have to loosen motor mounts and jack up a bit.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 18:08:44 -0700

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/192399-removing-camshaft-with-eng
ine-in-situ-1275/

I googled...
remove 1275 camshaft engine in the car?
There may be more answere further down the list.  Bill in Oregon
==========================================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Lester
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2014 6:01 PM
To: Spridgets list; [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] Cam removal on 1275 in car

Hello all,

is it possible to remove the camshaft on a 1275 with the engine in the car?

Is it remove the head and pull the followers out the top or does the engine
have to come out?

Lester

.. don't ask.
------------------------
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Lester <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2014 22:41:13 -0500

Stupidity.

I got the correct tap and die in.  Those are 9/32 BSF (26 tpi) from
http://www.britishfasteners.com/index.php   In my haste I quickly chased the
threads in the rocker arm then the threads on the spare adjuster.  While
tapping the rocker arm I made sure that there was cloth underneath to catch
any metal filings.  Couldn't have the cloth in the way while I tried to screw
in the adjuster so moved it.  Still a little tough so I move the pushrod out
of the hole.

One slip of the fingers and down the hole it went.  I can not get the adjuster
out of the hole the follower is in.  I tried superglue and I tried a small
magnet.  Now I have a small magnet and a lifter adjuster in there.

So now I guess it's off to the shop and I'll just swap out the other engine..
if only it were that easy.. there is the flywheel and pilot bushing for the 5
speed.  maybe I can use the flywheel and clutch off the original 948 if they
fit an early 1098 crank.  Otherwise it's weeks in the shop waiting on just the
right parts and then the machining that follows.  Or take the engine out,
invert remove cam etc.  Not a job for an afternoon.

FRACK.

Stupid is as stupid does Forrest.

Les.. Forrest

On Aug 1, 2014, at 8:21 PM, Ron Soave wrote:

> Lester,
>
> I've never done it without pulling the motor. What's led you to pulling the
cam?
>
> Ron Soave
>
>> On Aug 1, 2014, at 8:00 PM, Lester <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>>
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Trevor Jessie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 11:09:13 -0400

Too late now, but I once watched a guy use some rare earth magnets,push
rods and heat shrink tubing to hold followers up and out of the way.

-Trevor

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Lester <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]