Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic Suspension

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 05:39:40 -0700

Lots of guys/girls here with lots of experience. Get a shop manual.
On eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1968+Austin+America+manual&_sop=15&_osa
cat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1968+Austin+America
+manual+-seal&_nkw=1968+Austin+America+manual+-seal&_sacat=0

Or http://tinyurl.com/n34jmml
Bill in Oregon

========================

-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
B.Bittinger
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 5:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Ben Klopp
Subject: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic Suspension

Hi all,

I'm new to the group, but thanks to Kevin Valentine, he's graciously added
me to the list. I'm the girlfriend of his nephew, Ben, who was kind enough
to get me a 1968 Austin America for Christmas.

We've started taking things apart and it seems to be "ok". I'm new at car
restoration and this one is unique in itself. I was wondering if anyone
could help with where to start with the suspension. What to look for to see
if it still works, etc?

Also, where would a safe place to start be for the transmission/engine,
since they share oil?

Kindest regards, Brenda
(an enthusiastic newbie)
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 06:08:46 -0700

Your call. I always try to have two manuals on hand; one will always makes
sense.

Get a Bentley brand manual if they wrote one that covers your car.

http://tinyurl.com/nlq62jh

Bill in Oregon

  _____  

From: B.Bittinger [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 5:57 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic
Suspension

Thanks! Do you think it's safe to purchase an MG1100 manual for use in
repairing the Austin America? I know they're very close to being the same
thing.

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 8:39 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

Lots of guys/girls here with lots of experience. Get a shop manual.
On eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1968+Austin+America+manual
<http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=1968+Austin+America+manual&_sop=15&_os
a%0d%0acat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1968+Austin+
America%0d%0a+manual+-seal&_nkw=1968+Austin+America+manual+-seal&_sacat=0>
&_sop=15&_osa
cat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1968+Austin+America
+manual+-seal&_nkw=1968+Austin+America+manual+-seal&_sacat=0

========================

-----Original Message-----

Hi all,

Kindest regards, Brenda
(an enthusiastic newbie)

------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
<http://www.team.net/forums%0d%0aUnsubscribe/Manage> 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
<http://www.team.net/forums%0d%0aUnsubscribe/Manage> 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 06:13:48 -0700

Slightly better search:
http://tinyurl.com/nr6f47x

======================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 6:09 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic
Suspension

Bill in Oregon

  _____  
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: GUY DAY <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 15:17:30 +0100

Brenda,
You may regret Kevin's actions....
As a new member you are obliged to
tell all about your love of cats.  Wheel chocks or cuddly animals?   
Your
love of guns.  A much needed accessory for local governance or, an invention
held by cowards who think its good to kill from a distance?  (If you think the
latter make sure you exempt law enforcement and military).
Your love of beer /
tequila / whisky or whatever mind enhancing substance you can admit to.
I
think that is about it - you'll be a fully fledged member if you answer that
lot - but there may be others.   <SMILE>

The suspension height is determined
by measuring from the wheel centre to the top of the wheel arch and should be
in the region of 13-5/8 inches.  The pressure should be 220psi.    
 http://members.tripod.com/austin_america/id63.html      is an excellent site
with information you'll need.  

About the engine / gearbox.  Start by
draining the oil before removing the engine.  Don't loose the nut, but do
replace the copper washer.  If the engine runs leaving it running for 5 mins
or so so that it warms up, thins out and drains off easier.  Be careful 'cause
it does get very hot!

Guy R Day

ps  As you have an Austin America and not a
Spridget you may be exempt from the questions above - but you may well find
other owners who haven't been put through this membership ritual live at    
http://www.austinamericausa.com/  

________________________________
 From:
B.Bittinger <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] 
Cc: Ben
Klopp <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Monday, 7 July 2014, 13:09
Subject:
[Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic Suspension

Hi all,
I'm new to the group, but thanks to Kevin Valentine, he's graciously added
me
to the list. I'm the girlfriend of his nephew, Ben, who was kind enough
to get
me a 1968 Austin America for Christmas.

We've started taking things apart and
it seems to be "ok". I'm new at car
restoration and this one is unique in
itself. I was wondering if anyone
could help with where to start with the
suspension. What to look for to see
if it still works, etc?

Also, where would
a safe place to start be for the transmission/engine,
since they share oil?
Kindest regards, Brenda
(an enthusiastic newbie)
------------------------
[email-masked]

Suggested
annual donation: $12.75

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums:
http://www.team.net/forums
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 07:53:32 -0700

...and who was the singer? What about the water carburetor Detroit is
hiding?  Bill in Oregon
====================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of GUY
DAY
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 7:18 AM
To: B.Bittinger; [email-masked]
Cc: Ben Klopp
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic
Suspension

Brenda,
You may regret Kevin's actions....
As a new member you are obliged to
tell all about your love of cats.  Wheel chocks or cuddly animals?   
Your love of guns.  A much needed accessory for local governance or, an
invention held by cowards who think its good to kill from a distance?  
(If you think the latter make sure you exempt law enforcement and military).
Your love of beer / tequila / whisky or whatever mind enhancing substance
you can admit to.
I think that is about it - you'll be a fully fledged member if you answer
that lot - but there may be others.   <SMILE>

. . . . 
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:02:23 -0700

Zappa....
==================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 7:54 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic
Suspension

-----Original Message-----

Brenda,

. . . . 
------------------------

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "B.Bittinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 12:11:58 -0400

Wow! Quite the membership list of questions but I'll do my best to answer!

I'm not sure what a wheel chock is yet, but I'm learning.
Cats...I have one, she's awesome! I'm a fan of most cuddly creatures.
I like water guns, and I have no problems with real firearms in the hands
of properly educated individuals.
I also love beer (IPAs preferably), tequila in the summer and whiskey in
the winter. Occasionally a glass of wine if the occasion arises and
champagne on my birthday! Whew, I hope I passed the initial question of
hazing.

Thanks for the site reference I've been frequenting there quite a bit. I've
also invested in 2 manuals this AM, hope to have them by the wkend. Noted
on the engine/gearbox. Thnx!

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 10:17 AM, GUY DAY <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As a new member you are obliged to tell all about your love of cats.
>  Wheel chocks or cuddly animals?
> invention held by cowards who think its good to kill from a distance?  (If
> you think the latter make sure you exempt law enforcement and military).
> The suspension height is determined by measuring from the wheel centre to
> the top of the wheel arch and should be in the region of 13-5/8 inches.
>  The pressure should be 220psi.
> http://members.tripod.com/austin_america/id63.html      is an excellent
> site with information you'll need.
>
> About the engine / gearbox.  Start by draining the oil before removing the
> engine.  Don't loose the nut, but do replace the copper washer.  If the
> engine runs leaving it running for 5 mins or so so that it warms up, thins
> out and drains off easier.  Be careful 'cause it does get very hot!
>
> Guy R Day
>
> ps  As you have an Austin America and not a Spridget you may be exempt
> from the questions above - but you may well find other owners who haven't
> been put through this membership ritual live at
>   ------------------------------
>  *From:* B.Bittinger <[email-masked]>
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Cc:* Ben Klopp <[email-masked]>
> *Sent:* Monday, 7 July 2014, 13:09
> *Subject:* [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic
> Suspension
>
> Hi all,
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
------------------------

[email-masked]