Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Broken Rear Axle: reprise

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 15:26:39 -0400

Wierd.  All of the axles I've ever swapped worked fine - from Bugeyes to my
'79 Midget.  Early axles to late axles all fit with no issues.  Pull it back
out and measure it's length.  I'm going to go measure a few spares in the
garage and we can compare measurements.

Sent from my keyboard

> On Jul 4, 2014, at 3:01 PM, Brad Fornal <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> I removed the axle, it was broken in the pumpkin. I removed the pumpkin,
> removed the pieces, and put it all back together. I put the original axle
> back in, no problems,
> Now, the replacement axle, will not go all the way in. It lacks about 1/16"
> of going flush. I hear a clink, so I know it is hitting metal somewhere. Do
> I put the wheel on, and cinch it down, or are there various size cups on
> the rear of the flange, where one could be too small, not allowing it to
> seat properly.
> Any advice or tips?
>
> Brad
>
> --
> DON JULIO 1942
>
> http://tequilabrad.com/
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brad Fornal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 15:10:58 -0500

Thanks for the hint Rick. I measured, and they were both 23", from end, to
the inside of the cupped flange. I said "damn the torpedoes" and put the
drum, and lug nuts on, and tightened it down. A small quiet thud, and it
was seated.
Now to rebuild the brake cylinder on the other side, and wrap this job up.

Thank you Rick!!

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 2:26 PM, Rick Fisk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Wierd.  All of the axles I've ever swapped worked fine - from Bugeyes to
> my '79 Midget.  Early axles to late axles all fit with no issues.  Pull it
> back out and measure it's length.  I'm going to go measure a few spares in
> the garage and we can compare measurements.
>
> Sent from my keyboard
>

-- 
DON JULIO 1942

http://tequilabrad.com/
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 16:15:03 -0400

My guess is the hub got bumped slightly when you were doing your disassembly.
Glad you got it back together!

What are David and the 350 Chevy powered Sprite up to these days?  :-)

Sent from my keyboard

> On Jul 4, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Brad Fornal <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
the inside of the cupped flange. I said "damn the torpedoes" and put the drum,
and lug nuts on, and tightened it down. A small quiet thud, and it was seated.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Brad Fornal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 16:23:33 -0500

It has been a while since I have talked to Dave. Last I heard, it was doing
8+ seconds through the quarter mile.

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Rick Fisk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> My guess is the hub got bumped slightly when you were doing your
> disassembly.  Glad you got it back together!
>

-- 
DON JULIO 1942

http://tequilabrad.com/
------------------------

[email-masked]