Subject: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic Suspension

From: "B.Bittinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 08:09:19 -0400

Hi all,

I'm new to the group, but thanks to Kevin Valentine, he's graciously added
me to the list. I'm the girlfriend of his nephew, Ben, who was kind enough
to get me a 1968 Austin America for Christmas.

We've started taking things apart and it seems to be "ok". I'm new at car
restoration and this one is unique in itself. I was wondering if anyone
could help with where to start with the suspension. What to look for to see
if it still works, etc?

Also, where would a safe place to start be for the transmission/engine,
since they share oil?

Kindest regards, Brenda
(an enthusiastic newbie)
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mike MacLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 08:08:31 -0700

I think Guy meant to say cats AS wheel checks. B If you stick around you'll find out what I mean. B You can also take it that Guy is our resident anti-gun member. B We don't hold it against him. We always have hope he will come around. Austin America? Really? You need a Sprocket.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2

<div>-------- Original message --------</div><div>From: [email-masked] </div><div>Date:07/07/2014  07:53  (GMT-08:00) </div><div>To: [email-masked] </div><div>Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic
  Suspension </div><div>
</div>...and who was the singer? What about the water carburetor Detroit is
hiding?  Bill in Oregon
====================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of GUY
DAY
Sent: Monday, July 07, 2014 7:18 AM
To: B.Bittinger; [email-masked]
Cc: Ben Klopp
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic
Suspension

Brenda,
You may regret Kevin's actions....
As a new member you are obliged to
tell all about your love of cats.  Wheel chocks or cuddly animals?   
Your love of guns.  A much needed accessory for local governance or, an
invention held by cowards who think its good to kill from a distance?  
(If you think the latter make sure you exempt law enforcement and military).
Your love of beer / tequila / whisky or whatever mind enhancing substance
you can admit to.
I think that is about it - you'll be a fully fledged member if you answer
that lot - but there may be others.   <SMILE>

. . . . 
------------------------

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Tncarnut1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 11:28:39 -0500

I would just mention that Frank Zappa, anything made in China, the merits of ZDDP, and of course the 101 uses for TacoBell wrappers are the only others left off an otherwise quite comprehensive list of popular Spridgets discussion subjects.

David

>From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

[email-masked] wrote:

...and who was the singer? What about the water carburetor Detroit is
hiding?B  Bill in Oregon
====================================================
-----Original Message-----

Brenda,
You may regret Kevin's actions....
As a new member you are obliged to
tell all about your love of cats.B  Wheel chocks or cuddly animals?B B  
Your love of guns.B  A much needed accessory for local governance or, an
invention held by cowards who think its good to kill from a distance?B  
(If you think the latter make sure you exempt law enforcement and military).
Your love of beer / tequila / whisky or whatever mind enhancing substance
you can admit to.
I think that is about it - you'll be a fully fledged member if you answer
that lot - but there may be others.B B  <SMILE>

. . . . 
------------------------

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike MacLean <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 09:33:57 -0700

I meant wheel chocks and Spridgets not sprockets. Da#* autocorrect.B 
Mike MacLean

<div>-------- Original message --------</div><div>From: Mike MacLean <[email-masked]> </div><div>Date:07/07/2014  08:08  (GMT-08:00) </div><div>To: [email-masked], [email-masked] </div><div>Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1968 Austin America / MG1100 - Hydrolastic
  Suspension </div><div>
</div>I think Guy meant to say cats AS wheel checks. B If you stick around you'll find out what I mean. B You can also take it that Guy is our resident anti-gun member. B We don't hold it against him. We always have hope he will come around. Austin America? Really? You need a Sprocket.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2

-----Original Message-----

Brenda,

. . . . 
------------------------

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Swanson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2014 20:42:19 -0400

Brenda,

You did not mention if your AA is a manual or automatic and if you want to
keep it original or modify it?

It is always a good idea to drive a newly acquired car a little bit before
tearing it apart to know what is working and what isn't...

'62 Sprite mk II
Holly Springs, NC

-----Original Message-----

Hi all,

Kindest regards, Brenda
(an enthusiastic newbie)
------------------------
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Swanson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 20:12:48 -0400

Brenda,

Some years back I had an AA automatic with a worn-out engine, so I pulled
the complete power unit and replaced it with a manual unit - my girlfriend
(now wife of 21 years) said I had ripped it sole out and never forgave me.

'62 Sprite mk II
Holly Springs, NC

  _____  

From: B.Bittinger 

It's an option if what's in there doesn't work out and I can find one at a
reasonable price.

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 10:30 PM, Brad Fornal wrote:

So you will be installing a V-tec into the car?

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 9:20 PM, B.Bittinger wrote:

Good point Dean!
It is automatic. I'm willing to do make modifications as needed. So far
we've gotten the engine to turn over and we know that the distributor works.
The suspension still has some give, so all good signs so far! We've also
looked into retrofitting the engine and transmission there is a company out
there that has done the motor mount and framing to hold a honda civic
engine.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Swanson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 21:58:24 -0400

OK - fine... Ripped its soul out...

-----Original Message-----
From: Ed Kaler
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2014 6:09 PM

<<  On 7/9/2014 7:12 PM, Dean Swanson wrote:

<<  ....ripped it sole out... >>

WHY was the car on four (4) jack stands, Dean ? ? ?

Or are their other "sole[s]" on an AA besides the tyres ? ? ?  Did your 
Wife really
want to DRIVE on OLD tyres ? ? ?

Ed
" Just Brits "
------------------------
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Ed Kaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 01:20:29 -0500

E D I T        Y O U R        R E P L I E S  [before DMARC p="reject" catches you] ! ! !
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

<VBEG> ! !

Sorry Dean, just COULDN'T resist ! ! ! !

Ed
------------------------

[email-masked]