Subject: Re: [Spridgets] New Mini Cooper

From: Steven Guterman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 21:12:16 -0400

Hi all,

I bought my Mini Cooper S new when they first came out.  Mine is a 2002
purchased in the summer of 2001.

First it is a blast to drive.  I have only about 55k miles on it, using it
originally only in the summers and then my son took it to college. Only had
2 items break in the past 14 years - 1) the coolant reservoir leaked at the
seam and 2) the radiator fan has a stupid (in my mind) setup for low
speed.  They run the current though a wire wound resistor to limit the
current flow and get low speed.  Over time they all break.  The part is not
designed to be replaced.  Go to BMW you pay $300 for a new fan assembly
plus $200-300 for labor, or by an aftermarket one for $150 and install it
yourself or three (my solution) by a new resistor, cut out the old one and
solder the new one in place. ($15 bucks).
I also put on new brakes and rotors at 45k, does not seem unreasonable.

I love the supercharger, no lag, great power and the cars keeps on pulling
past 100mph.

No complaints. I have heard the automatic transmission sucks.

Steven,

green bugeye
red mini s
orange elise
silver tacoma
grey rx450h

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 1:04 PM, David Ambrose <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I realize this is only one data point, but the owner of the repair shop I
> use said that the BMW built Minis needed a lot of repairs and advised me
> not to get one. He's been honest for the last 20 years, and I'm confident
> that what he's telling me is true.
>
> On 6/23/2014 7:24 PM, Kirk Hargreaves wrote:
>
>> I have always admired this car and as we are approaching the need for a
>> new
>> or newer car I have had this car in mind . . the turbo I hear
>> is the way to go for the added performance.
>>
>> However I recently came across Consumer Reports 10 worst cars where they
>> put the Mini towards the top of their list for reliability problems.
>>
>> Built by BMW (right?) I was surprise to read things like:
>>
>> *Bought my Mini Cooper S, std shift, new in 2007. It was a fun & happy
>> ride
>> for a very short time. Since owning this money-sucking imp, I have spent
>> approx $5K in repairs (not maintenance) . .  less than 50k miles and a
>> litany of repairs. *
>>
>> Is this common or sour grapes or what?  Or limited to certain models to
>> avoid or years to avoid?
>>
>> I believe that there are some on our list that own this car . . .
>>
>> Please advise . . .
>>
>> Kirk
>> 1959 1275
>> ------------------------
>>
>> [email-masked]
>>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>>
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
>> options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>>
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/
> options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "B.Bittinger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 07:56:08 -0400

they also have an across the state rally too!

http://www.minitakesthestates.com/welcome

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 10:24 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hey-
>
> I had no idea that the Mini convention was in my area (Milwaukee) this
> weekend.  go to minimeet2014.com for info.
>
> Ran into a bunch of them at a restaraunt tonight, and they were pretty
> much like us.  Wife mentioned we had a Sprite and then pretty much almost
> ended up having dinner with them...
>
> Anyway, after dinner we drove through their hotel parking lot and saw a
> few 1100's and Mokes along with the others.  Great find!  I'll take some
> photos this weekend.
>
> Chris
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Kirk Hargreaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 20:51:58 -0700

I wonder if they bring a few flat beds along with them to pick up cars
along the way?

On Thu, Jul 3, 2014 at 4:56 AM, B.Bittinger <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Kirk Hargreaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 21:24:49 -0700

Nice to hear a good story about a Mini.

Well I learned something from Billy Z . .  that gas varies as a seasonal
thing.  Possibly the gas in the UK is of a higher grade . . it should be as
it costs nearly 10 dollars a gallon.  When you pull up to a station the
price reads by the litre.  At first glimpse the prices seem ok until you
recognize that you are buying by the liter, not the gallon, imperial or
otherwise.

For the gauge to move less than a quarter of a tank in 605 miles of
driving, and the corresponding amount of gas put back in to fill it up
before returning it to Hertz (nothing awry with the gauge). . something is
up with that!  We rented a Vauxhall Corsa with a 1.6 standard fuel injected
engine.

It is hard to pull the same MPG as we do on our freeways. The UK freeways
(motorways) regularly come into two lane round-a-bouts which cause you to
lower your speed.  About 30% of our driving was in cities, London,
Liverpool, etc.

If my assumption by way of my experience is true . . then it is possible
for non hybrid cars to be made that can pull 75 MPG or more. (Not that
hybrids can do that either).

PS
I wish we had less stop lights and more round-a-bouts in the States.  I
fell in love with them as they allow you to keep moving.

------------------------

[email-masked]