Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Morris Minor 1000 transmission

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 21:11:21 -0400

The Morris Minor uses the same transmission as our Spridgets so I wouldn't let
that stop me if the rest of the car is in good shape.  It could very well be a
worn selector, or it could be a number of other things.  But none of them are
hard or expensive to fix.  Heck, I think you can even pull the trans on a
Minor without pulling the engine!  Might be wrong though.  Anyways, I wouldn't
let a slightly flakey trans put the kibosh on the deal.  :-)

Rick

Sent from my keyboard

> On Jun 22, 2014, at 7:01 PM, Matt Hendricksen <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Any Minor enthusiasts among us?
>
> I stumbled across a 59 Morris Minor 1000 at a car show that I drove the
> Sprite to yesterday. I've been looking for something that I can take both
> the wife and kid in and I think a Minor might fit the bill. The car was an
> older restoration that presented well. Found some body filler here and
> there, so it's not a show piece, but looked like a very nice driver. Clean
> interior, headliner, new wiring, nice paint... things went downhill on the
> test drive, however. When in 4th gear, as soon as you'd let off the
> throttle it would pop into neutral almost every time.  First, second and
> third all seemed fine.
>
> The seller thought it might be the selector fork, but I was thinking worn
> box.  Told him I needed to do some more research on it...
>
> Matt
> '65 Sprite
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Glen Byrns <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 20:47:10 -0700

Selector fork.

Glen Byrns

> On Jun 22, 2014, at 4:01 PM, Matt Hendricksen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Kirk Hargreaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 18:15:52 -0700

When I was in high school a friend of mine's family owned a Morris Minor.

This was in the late 60's. The car was not considered a classic at that
time but instead a family economy vehicle. This was before the onslaught of
Japanese vehicles that later became so prevalent.

The Minor was a regular driver.  My friend and I often used it for Big Foot
exploration in the forrest North and way East of San Diego . . two kids
letting our imagination get away with us. Our interested was derived from a
report from a Sheriff friend of ours who was called to a home situated on a
large piece of acreage.

For years It took both of us to work to the Balboa Park Merry-Go-Round
outside of the San Diego Zoo.  That car was driven and driven regularly and
hard . . often carrying 4 long boards on the top going down the freeway
towards the beaches.

It never once displayed a mechanical issue.  For all those years that
little Minor just kept going and going never once complaining about all the
use it was getting.

Just some good memories . . .

Kirk

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 6:11 PM, Rick Fisk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Matt Hendricksen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 22:40:39 -0500

Great tips and stories all -- thanks! I think I was looking for an excuse
to not buy it, as this will be British car number three... nonetheless, the
seller accepted my offer and I'll be dragging it home later this week.

I have access to a cargo trailer that the Sprite fits in, but I suspect
I'll need to rent an actual car trailer for this one.

Matt
'65 Sprite

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 5:50 AM, Kristi & Lambert <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> HI Matt,
>
> I have a similar problem with my midget (77), it jumps out of 2nd.
> Everyone says it is a syncro problem and that I need to fix it next time
> the engine is out. I am not sure about how it works on a Morris, even
> though I own one I am still learning how to work on them. I actually have
> lost 3rd and 4th in mine and need to get in to the trans to check it out.
>  I do know there is a Morris Yahoo group, you may want to check that out
> first.
>
> Lambert
>
> Kristi & Lambert
> '74 RWA Midget
> '77 RB Midget
> '71 Morris 1100 MK 2
> Philadelphia MG Club Treasurer
> Brits at the Village Registrar
>
> Check out Philadelphia MG Club on Facebook
>
>
>
>
>
> On Jun 22, 2014, at 7:01 PM, Matt Hendricksen wrote:
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]