Subject: [Spridgets] Metal contact sound through trans tunnel

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 18:37:46 GMT

As some of you may remember, I lost the first gear in the ribcase on the MKII
just before Elkhart Lake. I bought a used one and had to rebuild that one as
well (Thanks to Gerard, Ed and Peter C that is). Now the trans shifts super
smooth (all new internal wear parts), but after the trans wams up, I get what
sounds and feels like a metal on metal contact that comes and goes under load
ONLY in third and fourth.I've looked down the tunnel, and there's nothing
within 2" of the tunnel itself (kind of thought that it might be the zerc). So
there's nothing near the tunnel to make contact, the only other thing that I
can think of is the starter (Isuzu GR type) which sits very close to the
passenger's foot well. but why just in 3 and 4, when I push everything harder
in 1 & 2?BTW, all mounts are new, all mounts are tightly bolted down.Open to
any suggestions, it runs very well, except for this which just makes me think
I'm going to damage something (Again) when it occurs.

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
____________________________________________________________
SafeAuto Car Insurance
Get a car insurance quote in 3 steps & pay only state minimum coverage
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/539f39c54ea8439c57e21st01duc
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 13:49:15 GMT

The sound is an intermittent metal on metal, like something hitting the trans
tunnel (that's why I checked the clearance of things) It comes and goes, not
exactly with torque applied or power demanded. Dave Lieb may have hit the nail
on the head, it could be the starter combined with the load applied hammering
on the footwell.It just weird that its audible from, and able to be felt
through, the transmission tunnel.(confused look)

Mark Haynes

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Hal Faulkner <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Haynes <[email-masked]>
Cc: Spridgets <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Metal contact sound through trans tunnel
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 04:28:20 -0700

Mark,Can you get us a better description of the sound?B  Is it at wheel
speed?B  A tick-tick-tick?B  Where does it appear to be coming from?B  Hal

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 11:37 AM, Mark Haynes <[email-masked]> wrote:
As some of you may remember, I lost the first gear in the ribcase on the MKII
 just before Elkhart Lake. I bought a used one and had to rebuild that one as
 well (Thanks to Gerard, Ed and Peter C that is). Now the trans shifts super
 smooth (all new internal wear parts), but after the trans wams up, I get
what
 sounds and feels like a metal on metal contact that comes and goes under
load
 ONLY in third and fourth.I've looked down the tunnel, and there's nothing
 within 2" of the tunnel itself (kind of thought that it might be the zerc).
So
 there's nothing near the tunnel to make contact, the only other thing that I
 can think of is the starter (Isuzu GR type) which sits very close to the
 passenger's foot well. but why just in 3 and 4, when I push everything
harder
 in 1 & 2?BTW, all mounts are new, all mounts are tightly bolted down.Open to
 any suggestions, it runs very well, except for this which just makes me
think
 I'm going to damage something (Again) when it occurs.

 Mark Haynes

 [email-masked]

 Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
 Suggested annual donation: $12.75

 Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
 Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
 Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Billy Zoom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 11:15:06 -0700

Do you clench your teeth when you drive fast?
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 04:32:00 -0700

If you want to try using a small video camera or cell phone video, Google
magnetic camera base, or check on eBay. Bill in Oregon

=======================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: Spridgets [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of GUY
DAY
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Metal contact sound through trans tunnel
 . . . .

If you get really desperate and have a video
camera you are prepared to destroy, (I bought a $30 Vivitar DVR 508 just for
this sort of thing) tape/wire/stick that on the pumpkin so it looks forwards
and see how much movement you get at the tailshaft end of the gearbox.
 Frightening.

Guy R Day
===========================================================================
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:48:00 GMT

Thanks for all of the inputs, I'll be looking more closely at near-miss areas
and trying the cardboard/ paperboard in the closer areas.I'll keep you all
informed as I determine the cause.

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
____________________________________________________________
Odd Carb-Hormone Trick
1 EASY tip to increase fat-burning, lower blood sugar & decrease fat storage
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/53b16ab824e06ab71140st03duc
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "bmwwxman ." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:23:13 -0500

Disney and WWII had an answer for you Mark....
http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/images/upload/gremlins-cover-web.jpg

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Mark Haynes <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
Sprite-Midget Club USA <http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org>
High Plains Youth Hockey <http://www.highplainsyouthhockey.org>
Dodge City Trail of Fame <http://www.DodgeCityTrailofFame.org>
Electronic Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology <http://www.EJSSM.org>
Dodge City 300 <http://www.DodgeCity300.org>

*"Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they
look forward to the trip."*

*Winston Churchill*
------------------------

[email-masked]