Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Electrical Problem

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:26:22 -0500

I'm confused Trevor.  A '77 should have a mechanical fuel pump.  You say when
this problem manifests itself the fuel pump clicks on and off.  What kind of
mods have been done to the harness to connect an electric fuel pump?  Is it
the original harness?

Sent from my keyboard

On Jan 15, 2014, at 10:23 AM, Trevor Jessie <[email-masked]> wrote:

> So... a guy gave me a '77 Midget.  I was going to part it out, but my
> basement was already full of parts so I decided to build a custom Midget.
> All was going well until a glitch popped up the other day.
>
> When the key is off, there is feed back into the electrical system.  The
> interior hazard light flashes and the fuel pump clicks on and off.  I
> unplugged the rear harness and it did not solve the problem (other than
> stopping the fuel pump).  When I flip the hazard switch they work as
> normal.
>
> This problem is intermittent, so I want to have a list of things to check
> when it occurs (or have a way of recreating/sorting the problem).  So, any
> ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Trevor
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Trevor Jessie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 19:48:33 -0500

The car has a 1275 installed.  One of the PO removed all the seat
belt/e-brake/buzzer ... etc.  The car was working fine.  and then suddenly
developed this problem after I tuned the carbs .... go figure.

Anyway, I've unplugged most everything I can think of: alternator, wiper,
rear harness, wiper switch, ignition switch, turnsignal/dimmer switch,
heater, heater switch, tach, brake pressure warning switch ... basically,
if I can see it, I've unplugged it.

Of course unplugging the hazard switch stops the problem, and unplugging
the hazard flasher stops the problem, and unplugging the green wire on the
fuse box stops the problem ... but I still can't find the cause.  I'm
starting to fear it is wrapped up in the harness.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Rick Fisk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I'm confused Trevor.  A '77 should have a mechanical fuel pump.  You say
> when this problem manifests itself the fuel pump clicks on and off.  What
> kind of mods have been done to the harness to connect an electric fuel
> pump?  Is it the original harness?
>
> Sent from my keyboard
>
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 20:20:55 -0500

Trevor,

I'm thinking it has to be the hazard flasher switch has failed.  Six terminals
on the back, two on the bottom for the turn signal power, and four on the top
for the hazards.  Most cars only three of the four are used.  There should be
no continuity between the four terminals when the hazard flasher switch is
off.  There should be continuity between the bottom two terminals with the
switch off.

Sent from my keyboard

> Anyway, I've unplugged most everything I can think of: alternator, wiper,
rear harness, wiper switch, ignition switch, turnsignal/dimmer switch, heater,
heater switch, tach, brake pressure warning switch ... basically, if I can see
it, I've unplugged it.
>
> Of course unplugging the hazard switch stops the problem, and unplugging the
hazard flasher stops the problem, and unplugging the green wire on the fuse
box stops the problem ... but I still can't find the cause.  I'm starting to
fear it is wrapped up in the harness.
>> I'm confused Trevor.  A '77 should have a mechanical fuel pump.  You say
when this problem manifests itself the fuel pump clicks on and off.  What kind
of mods have been done to the harness to connect an electric fuel pump?  Is it
the original harness?

[email-masked]

---

From: Allen Hefner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:55:15 -0500

I agree. When I first got my '77, it had loads of electrical problems.
Replacing the hazard switch fixed it.

I think it was Peter C who figured that one out for me.
 Allen Hefner
Norristown, PA

*Current:*
2006 Chebbie
2001 Toyota Cholera
*Former:*
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series III
1967 Triumph TR4A IRS
1964 VW Type I
1967 VW Type II
1967 Rover 2000TC
1977 MG Midget

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM, Rick Fisk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> heater,
> the
> kind
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]