Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Audiophile stuff--No LBC content

From: Ron Soave <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 19:54:16 -0600

Have ye a very low output moving coil cartridge? There may be an impedance
setting on the preamp - 47K is nominal - but look to see if that can be
adjusted. Otherwise, I'm stumped unless you have the 4 leeeetle cartridge
wires crossed.

Ron

----------------
"The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the
truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling."

(Robert M. Pirsig, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance")

On Jan 12, 2014, at 7:37 PM, JohnD <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I just know you guys will be able to solve this problem for me.....
>
> I had to buy a new audio receiver (I guess it's now called a "audio/video
> multi-channel control center" or something). Well, I can't play my vinyl
> through it because it won't smooch with my vintage Acoustic Research
> turntable. Darn thing doesn't have a phono input!  I thought vinyl was all
> the rage now. So, I bought an in-line turntable pre-amp-- a Pyle Pro
> PP444-- which promised to convert my phono signal to a line level signal.
> When I hook it up, I still get barely audible volume from the phono. What
> am I doing wrong here?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> JohnD
>
> *Driving in the past lane!*
> JohnsfollyVintageRacing <http://www.johnsfolly.webs.com>
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Ron Soave <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 19:55:28 -0600

Or maybe there is a monitor button on that's bypassing your input?

----------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 21:12:54 -0500

Does your "audio/video multi-channel control center" have an actual amplifier?
Or is it just a "control center".  What exactly did you buy?

Sent from my keyboard

> JohnsfollyVintageRacing <http://www.johnsfolly.webs.com>
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Chris Manuel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:40:14 -0600

Sounds like your phase is off somewhere.  Are you hearing parts of the music
but missing the vocals?
Did you ground the pre-amp?

Went through kind of the same a few months back putting a new cart in my
jukebox.   Contact me off list if you want to walk through it.

Chris

Tubes rule.   

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of JohnD
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:38 PM
To: Spridgets
Subject: [Spridgets] Audiophile stuff--No LBC content

When I hook it up, I still get barely audible volume from the phono. What am
I doing wrong here?
Thanks in advance.

JohnD

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Bill L <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 21:28:06 -0800

Hello JohnD,

     You need a phone input. .. I can't remember all the technical
     terms anymore, but it goes something like this...

     A line level input is just that, it takes what it is given, but
     there is a correction curve in an RIAA phone input. The low
     frequencies need a boost because low freqs take so much more
     power to reproduce. The vibrating needle in the slot of a record
     doesn't have enough so the recording industry made a standard
     YEARS ago  that is a curve of boost across freqeuency. ..

     That and impedence matching of the coil to the input as mentioned
     in earlier post..

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phono_input

     may help.. it says that almost no equipment made after 2000 has
     the proper input for a turntable ...

-- 
Best regards,
 Bill L.                           mailto:[email-masked]
 
 '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403   "the red thing"
 
  Meekness is uncommon patience in planning a worthwhile revenge.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: JohnD <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 19:44:51 -0500

Billy Zoom <[email-masked]>
Jan 13 (3 days ago)
to me
Did you figure it out yet? That preamp looks right for the job.
Do you still have the AR plastic headshell? Is the sleeve nut on tight?

Thanks everybody for the inout.
The turntable is stock, OEM, unmodified, era-correct with a Shure M93E
carrtridge. The head is not loose. It worked fine on my old Sherwood
receiver, obviously plugged into the "phono input" jack. The new receiver
is a Pioneer VSX-821-k. Rick, it does have a power amplifier. Radio, CD's,
iPod, video, etc. comes through just fine.

John

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Billy Zoom <[email-masked]> wrote:

> May we assume that your old AR turntable worked fine the last time you
> tried
> it, and that it still has the same cartridge and headshell wiring as when
> it
> last worked? Are you using a standard moving magnet cartridge?
> If so, can we have the make and model of the unit you're trying to plug the
> preamp into?
>
>
>

-- 

[email-masked]