Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Electrical Problem

From: Trevor Jessie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 08:27:23 -0500

Thanks, I've already unplugged the rear harness, but the problem persisted.
 I've given a quick look to all the places where the harness passes through
grommets and clips.  It all looks pretty good.  I hope to get a chance to
check into things further this afternoon.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 7:55 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Sometimes when a car has been welded in the sill or wing area the rear
> section of the loom can get hot and damaged - the section with the fuel
> pump and rear lights is the section that this happens to.  It might be
> worth removing the rear trim panels and carpets to have a look at the rear
> section of the loom.
>
>  In a message dated 16/01/2014 12:41:09 GMT Standard Time,
> [email-masked] writes:
>
> I'm
> starting to fear it is wrapped up in the harness.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Trevor Jessie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:22:15 -0500

DOH! Solved.

Thanks to this list and the MGExperience forum, I was able to put 2 and 2
together.
The first thing I tested was the hazard switch. It tested fine. Remember
this was an intermittent problem. Then someone asked if some wires would
have been damaged by welding repair ... LIGHT BULB! I had welded a patch in
the floor and ground down the weld and the console box was laying in the
other footwell. It turns out that metal shavings in the hazard switch was
causing pins 8 and 3 to contact (sometimes) and since the fuel pump was
wired into green instead of white circuit ... Bob's yer uncle. Cleaned out
the switch and we are back to normal.

Thanks.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM, Trevor Jessie <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Thanks, I've already unplugged the rear harness, but the problem
> persisted.  I've given a quick look to all the places where the harness
> passes through grommets and clips.  It all looks pretty good.  I hope to
> get a chance to check into things further this afternoon.
>
>
------------------------

[email-masked]