Subject: [Spridgets] Rear Hub Nut Torque

From: Bob Spruck <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 20:28:09 -0500

I broke a rear axle at the outer flange at the VDCA race two weeks ago 
and am now ready to replace it. Does anybody know the torque setting for 
the 1 7/8 " nut that holds the hub on to the axle assembly? My Haynes 
manual tells you how to remove the hub and then says the infamous 
"refitting is the reversal of removal", but there is no mention of the 
torque for the big nut. I have the socket, so can torque it properly if 
I knew the amount. Strangely enough, the manual indicates the value for 
the castellated nut on the front spindle even though you have to back it 
off to stick the cotter pin through the hole in the shaft and the nut.

My postmortem analysis seems to indicate that the big washer that is 
supposed to be bent over one of the flats on the nut either wasn't bent 
over all the way or had been bent so many times that it failed, the nut 
loosened and the axle flange cleanly separated from the axle shaft. 
Either way, the DPO (me!) seems to be at fault.

Hope you all have a happy New Year celebration and health and prosperity 
in 2014.

Bob Spruck
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive