Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Rear Hub Nut Torque

From: Ron Soave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:35:15 -0600

Realllly tight, blue Loctite, no washer.

----------------
"The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the
truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling."

(Robert M. Pirsig, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance")

On Dec 31, 2013, at 7:28 PM, Bob Spruck <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I broke a rear axle at the outer flange at the VDCA race two weeks ago
> and am now ready to replace it. Does anybody know the torque setting for
> the 1 7/8 " nut that holds the hub on to the axle assembly? My Haynes
> manual tells you how to remove the hub and then says the infamous
> "refitting is the reversal of removal", but there is no mention of the
> torque for the big nut. I have the socket, so can torque it properly if
> I knew the amount. Strangely enough, the manual indicates the value for
> the castellated nut on the front spindle even though you have to back it
> off to stick the cotter pin through the hole in the shaft and the nut.
>
> My postmortem analysis seems to indicate that the big washer that is
> supposed to be bent over one of the flats on the nut either wasn't bent
> over all the way or had been bent so many times that it failed, the nut
> loosened and the axle flange cleanly separated from the axle shaft.
> Either way, the DPO (me!) seems to be at fault.
>
> Hope you all have a happy New Year celebration and health and prosperity
> in 2014.
>
> Bob Spruck
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Ron Soave <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 20:08:17 -0600

I previously posted "blue Loctite" for this - it is actually GREEN Loctite.
This method came from Kent Prather, multi-time SCCA national champion.

----------------

[email-masked]