Subject: [Spridgets] Paint

From: Martyn Ridley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:49:48 -0500

Taking a car down to bare metal is always recommended, but lets face it, 
expensive. In this case, the repair area must be taken down and then a 
new primer applied.  As for the balance of the car, it can be sanded and 
have "low hide" primer to give the car and even finish when the new 
paint is applied.  The danger area is where the repair and the original 
meet.  A good body/restoration shop can handle this.  Modern paints act 
differently so it is important to stay with one system for the complete 
job.  Note that you must primer the complete car, paint on paint will 
chip/crack.

I would also like to address the colour.  A good paint shop will be able 
to match the original colour, which ever one you want.  Unless you want 
a non-original colour don't settle for it.  Original ICI paints codes 
are available but as mentioned earlier modern paint is different so the 
old formulas are not accurate.  I have seen paint matching to the Healey 
paint code book and have been very impressed.  Colours are fine, the 
difficulty comes in the metallic paints as the current metallic flakes 
are not fine enough.  This of course is not an issue for Frogeye 
owners.  Please note that Sprites were not base/clear coated.

We are currently watching a "speedwell blue" car going through the 
process.  If you need assistance, send me a note offline and I will find 
out exactly what paint is being used on this car.  I have done the 
colour check and it is a near as my eyes can tell.

Cheers,
Martyn
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive