Subject: [Spridgets] 58 Ford F-100

From: Kirk Hargreaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 18:10:52 -0800

My 223 6 sprung a head gasket leak at the back of the head.  I used a
product called Irontite which is allegedly the best of the bunch.  It was
recommended by a retired dealership mechanic friend.  He used it on a older
Nissan with a blown head gasket.  Two years later the car is still holding
up.

Closely following the directions it stopped the leak . .  It would be very
nice to get a year or so out of it.  I flushed the system . . allowed the
engine to cool overnight before applying.  That 223 head (solid lifters) is
a beast to remove.

Has anyone heard of Irontite as one of the better formulas for this type of
"buy some time" repair?

Kirk

59 1275
At the body shop for a soda blast and respray in Wimbledon white.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 19:29:13 -0700

> Has anyone heard of Irontite as one of the better formulas for this type of
Sounds like one of the many sodium silicate ( water glass ) compounds on 
the market.
There are plenty of anecdotes out there attesting to the value of such, 
it certainly seems
worth a try.

mjb.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Billy Zoom <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2013 19:47:02 -0800

> That 223 head (solid lifters) is
> a beast to remove.
That's a one man job (if you're ok with the hernia) and it takes about an
hour to remove and replace. It's also easy to replace the bearings with the
engine in place. That's about an hour and a half.
------------------------

[email-masked]