Subject: [Spridgets] Paint Question

From: Kirk Hargreaves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 09:08:06 -0800

My 59 Sprite got tagged in a parking lot a few weeks ago.  Good thing for
me as I only have to pay 300 deductible to have the front of the car
painted while I do the back (unless I pay the body shop to paint the entire
car while it is there).

For years I have had a slightly darker yellow paint job on my car that I am
not very fond of. .  so the time has finally come to change it to Wimbledon
white.  (Guessing that Old English White is not out there these days).

My friend who is a well known custom car painter in the Bay area and who
 is also doing the work insists that I have the car stripped back to metal
. . either by sanding or take it for soda blasting.

The insurance will only pay for the hood (bonnet) and they only pay for
shooting over the existing finish.  I may pony up the extra dollars to have
them shoot the entire car.

The darker yellow paint currently on the car was shot directly over the
previous primrose yellow from the factory.   The car was painted over 20
years ago (with the slightly darker yellow).

I cannot find where the darker yellow paint has cracked or where it has
changed because it was *not* shot over primed metal.  However I am told by
my friend that I am taking a big chance that a new paint job over the
current one . .  even if high solids primer is shot first, will have a
strong probability of cracking over time.

Any suggestions from the group?  Is it necessary for me to pay to have the
car stripped back to metal?

Kirk
59 1275
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tncarnut1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:26:53 -0500

Seems like sound advice there, Bill. I would think its always better to take it down to the metal if it fits in the budget to do so. But I'm by no means a paint & body guy, so don't take my word on it.

B - DavidB 

>From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

[email-masked] wrote:

I would listen to the "... well known custom car painter in the Bay area..."
I think the money spent now would pay off down the road, and stay away from
parking lots.B  :-)
Bill in Oregon
===================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Kirk Hargreaves
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 9:08 AM
To: Spridgets
Subject: [Spridgets] Paint Question

My 59 Sprite got tagged in a parking lot a few weeks ago.B  Good thing for
me as I only have to pay 300 deductible to have the front of the car
painted while I do the back (unless I pay the body shop to paint the entire
car while it is there).

For years I have had a slightly darker yellow paint job on my car that I am
not very fond of. .B  so the time has finally come to change it to Wimbledon
white.B  (Guessing that Old English White is not out there these days).

The insurance will only pay for the hood (bonnet) and they only pay for
shooting over the existing finish.B  I may pony up the extra dollars to have
them shoot the entire car.

The darker yellow paint currently on the car was shot directly over the
previous primrose yellow from the factory.B B  The car was painted over 20
years ago (with the slightly darker yellow).

I cannot find where the darker yellow paint has cracked or where it has
changed because it was *not* shot over primed metal.B  However I am told by
my friend that I am taking a big chance that a new paint job over the
current one . .B  even if high solids primer is shot first, will have a
strong probability of cracking over time.

Any suggestions from the group?B  Is it necessary for me to pay to have the
car stripped back to metal?

Kirk
59 1275
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:28:55 -0500 (EST)

That doesn't sound like a proper repair to me - I'd expect a repair to bare 
 metal.

In a message dated 11/11/2013 17:12:56 GMT Standard Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

The  insurance will only pay for the hood (bonnet) and they only pay  for
shooting over the existing  finish.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Billy Zoom <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:57:26 -0800

You know you want a rotisserie and a pressure blaster. Do it...
------------------------

[email-masked]