Subject: [Spridgets] paint question

From: "Fisher, Ed" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 23:02:41 +0000

Having worked in a body/fender shop as a youngster and painting several cars
through the years, I understand your friend's recommendation.  He is paid to
give you a long-lasting, beautiful, finish.  Spraying over coats that he had
no control over is just fraught with potential problems.  If I had to find an
analogy, I guess it would be like deciding to put another layer of shingles on
a roof that was re-shingled once already.  You don't know if those second
shingles were of any quality whatsoever, and may curl and ruin the third
layer.  The nails may not be long enough, the first layer may have been badly
compromised, with rotted wood underneath, but someone just slapped on the 2nd
layer anyway.  Of course, you don't notice this until you get up there and
start hammering, or, 1-5 years go by and your 3rd layer looks like hell.  A
man that wants you to be satisfied, for a long time, won't sign up for that,
not a roofer, and certainly not a quality automotive finisher.  You wouldn't
either, all things considered.  A color change adds another can of worms.
There are shops that will shoot whatever you want; over whatever is an
existing layer, for darned near any price.  Your call, of course, no judgment
from me, certainly.  I just wanted to add something to what your friend must
have been thinking when insisting that he did not want any of that action
without a clean canvas onto which he could apply his art.

Sent respectfully,

Ed
Dallas, Tx
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive