Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Books at APT

From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 00:03:34 -0500

It is possible to shorten the throttle cable. Pull the cable out of the
outer housing. If you are very careful, you can remove the ferule from one
of the ends of the outer housing. Cut the housing to link. It is best if you
use a Dremel cut-off took. Reinstall the ferule. Put the cable back on the
car and cut the inner cable to the correct length. - Jim 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Michael MacLean
Sent: Saturday, October 05, 2013 8:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] Books at APT

I was at APT yesterday looking for a shorter throttle cable for my single
HIF44 carb installation.  The one Dave sold me the only type he has for the
HIF SU carb, but it's for a Mini.  Too long for a Bugeye as the top of the
cable loop hits the bonnet when it comes down.  I have it held down with a
nylon cable tie, but the cable binds because of this and I have to tap the
accelerator a couple of times when I stop to bring the RPMs down.  Well, no
success with a shorter throttle cable. the only shorter one he has is too
short.  While I was there he mentioned he wants to get rid of the books he
has for sale.  He says the internet has killed book sales.  I bought three
books at his cost while I was there.  Nor exactly Bugeye related, but I like
other British cars too.  He has a bunch of Triumph books by Kas Kastner for
you Triumph people.  You might try giving him or his wife a call and mention
me so he'll know what you are talking about.  Make  sure you talk to David
or get his approval.  His wife might not be so inclined to let the books go
for the reduced price if David is not there. 
David's wife was there and sold me the books at the reduced price, but David
was right there when bought them.  He was telling her to sell them for his
cost.  Worth a try to build your library.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Brad Fornal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 07:55:48 -0500

I know I will take some heat for this, but here is what "I" did.
Several months ago, I had my throttle cable freeze up on me. Since I was
only about 6 blocks from Wally World, I was able to limp over to their
parking lot. I have a fairly comprehensive tool kit I keep in the back of
the Sprite. Wrenches, sockets, multi-screwdriver. Pliers, wire cutters, you
get the idea.
I went to the bike section and purchased a set of shifter/brake cables for
$5. Out at the car, the rear brake cable is the one you use for the repair.
The end that is rounded, not the newer "barrel connection, is the one you
need. I was able to trim the size diameter down with my side cutters, and
then round it by rubbing it against the concrete bump stop in front of the
car. I trimmed the sheath to the length and within 5 minutes, I was back on
the road again. Somewhere, Frank was smiling from ear to ear.
I recall sharing this story after it happened, and someone suggested that I
get the "noodles" off the front and rear brakes on a Wally World type bike.
I put them on either end of the cable, and was able to shorten the cable by
quite a bit. It no longer hits on the underside of the bonnet. It couldn't
function any smoother than if you were moving a hot knife through butter.
Mike, I can provide photos, and possibly noodles, if you think this is an
answer to your problem.

Brad

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM, Jim Seippel <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

-- 
DON JULIO 1942

http://tequilabrad.com/
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 09:17:10 -0400

I have a vague memory that high-end bicycle shops used to have cable housing 
on rolls that they cut to length.  I don't know if they still do.

Michael Rowe 
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: derf <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 08:50:48 -0500

Some motorcycle shops can make cables.

On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Michael Rowe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I have a vague memory that high-end bicycle shops used to have cable
> housing on rolls that they cut to length.  I don't know if they still do.
>
> Michael Rowe ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/spridgets/derf247@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]>
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2013 10:08:43 -0400

Brad,

Post some photos over on the Team.net Spridget forum.  Works great!

Sent from my keyboard

>> cost.  Worth a try to build your library.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]