Subject: [Spridgets] No LBC - computer software - SOLIDWORKS + MS Publisher

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 13:27:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi list,
 
Just back from College parents evening and it seems the kid would benefit  
from having a copy of some software called 'SOLID WORKS' .  Here in the UK  
it's pronounced 'Thisss not bee cheeep' so does anyone have an older version 
 that will work on W7 they'll trade for something?
 
Also, and less of an issue is anyone has an older version of MS Publisher  
they'll trade for something.
 
Thanks
 
Daniel
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 15:38:53 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for all the replies.

I was hoping for something less than the #100 student edition which in fact
 is a only valid for one year so actually ends up costing #200 and more if
you  need it for a 3rd year etc.

I hadn't anticipated raising up an engineer as this is the older daughter
who has ended up doing design technology because 'Art' didn't fit in with
her  other subject choices.  I guess I also draw a distinction between
designing  and engineering except for myself when I'm 'making' something for
my
Sprite.

Regards

In a message dated 17/10/2013 18:27:38 GMT Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:

Hi  list,

it's pronounced 'Thisss not bee cheeep' so  does anyone have an older
version
that will work on W7 they'll trade for  something?

Thanks

Daniel
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Chris King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:43:19 -0700

These days SolidWorks is one of the more prevalent CAD packages in the
professional world, especially among small and medium sized companies
that need a cost-effective CAD package. Way less expensive than
Pro-Engineer/Creo, CAatia, Unigraphics, etc. It's popular enough that
Pro-E will be adding a translator that will allow importation of
SolidWorks files with full history. Those of you who deal with CAD
neutral files (like IGES and STEP) will know what a big deal this is.
 
-=Chris

Chris King
http://home.comcast.net/~kvcbk/ 

 <-----Original Message----->

 	  	 From: Michael Rowe [[email-masked]]
Sent: 10/22/2013 8:47:03 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] No LBC - computer software - SOLIDWORKS + MS
Publisher 

> [email-masked] wrote: 
> > I was hoping for something less than the #100 student edition 
> 
> Late to the party, but they might find something compatible in the
Linux 
> world. 

You can find pretty much anything useful in the Linux world for free. I
am 
setting up to run Linux from a thumbdrive on my $200 Chormebook. 

But we have not addressed the question of future employment. If the 
software is for class projects, anything will do. Even Google has a
free, 
simple 3D drawing program. If it is for experience in software that 
employers need, then is should at least emulate one of the big-time 
professional versions. Linux tends to be pretty good at emulation. 

Michael Rowe 
------------------------ 

[email-masked] 

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive 
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked] 
. 
------------------------

[email-masked]