Subject: [Spridgets] Anybody have a dead ribcase out back?

From: David Booker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 05:27:50 -0700 (PDT)

I need a part from a dead ribcase tranny. I'm in the process of swapping mine
out with another I bought because a tooth from my first gear decided a
sedentary life amongst the dredges in the bottom of the box was more alluring
than the constant-motion life up near the top.
 
Anyway. The tranny I bought
is missing a little bolt on the driver side near the top of the rear portion
of the shifter remote linkage mechanism. The bolt has a very thin head on it
(as in it doesn't stick out very far from the surface it is threaded into) The
bolt shaft is hollow and holds a spring with a metal cap over the end. This
cap presses against the shift levers inside and I believe helps to locate
neutral. This entire bolt is missing from my "new" tranny.
 
My initial
thought was "no big deal, just take the one from my old tranny and be done
with it". Good thought, but... As it turns out, there are two different sizes
of these bolts. My car is a '71. Thanks to Brian Seavey, I know that a
smoothcase tranny has the same (too large) bolt as my ribcase does. 
 
The
diameter of the too-large bolt shaft is around 1/2". Thread size I need is
3/8" coarse.
 
Since the Smoothcase is the same as my '71, I'm thinking it may
need to come from a RWA car??  
 
So... If you could all go look at any dead
tranny's you may have out behind the garage. I'd REALLY appreciate it if you'd
let me buy this bolt and the spring and cap inside it..  I can't buttion
everything up till I find one.
 
Help!  Thanks folks!
 
 - David Booker
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive