Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Axle issue

From: "Nelson Wittstock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 04:39:51 -0000

I just recently went through the same thing.  I lost track of how many times 
it moved back and forth but just a little bit.  Being able to knock it out 
from the inside of the diff was a major challenge.  None of my punches were 
able to reach through to the broken off piece.  Finally I found a small 
diameter rat tail file that would make contact with the axle piece.  I just 
kept beating the piece out a little and then back in.  Then all of a sudden 
it was laying on the floor.  In the process about an inch of the file broke 
off but at that point it was worth losing it.  I gave a lot of thought to 
just giving up but then what would I do.  All I can say is just keep doing 
what you have been doing and I wish you luck.

Nelson 
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:31:37 -0400

You have no choice but to keep beating on it.  It has to come out before the
diff can be removed.  Keep doing what you're doing - out as far as possible,
back in, and then beat it out some more.  Good luck.

Sent from my keyboard

On Sep 14, 2013, at 6:57 PM, "Pat Elliott" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Recently while driving my 62 sprite I had a bit of trouble.  While pulling
> out from a stop, I heard a ping and lost the connection between the motor
> and the ground.  I instinctively thought broken axle.. call a tow truck
> and took her home.  Once home I jack up the rear end confirmed my
diagnosis,
> order two axles and two bearing kits.
>
> This morning I decide to tackle the project and heres where the fun
begins.
> I jacked up the drivers side and confirmed no connection, wheel turns
> easily without turning the other wheel or the diff.  Disassemble and
> discover that I can pull the axle out about < and now Im reconnected to
> the diff. It appears that Ive sheared off all the splines on the shaft and
> have just the little bit of spline that were poking through.  The problem
is
> that its most likely screwed up the splines and I cant get it to come
out.
> Im using a 10lb slide hammer to no avail. Im able to get it to come out
> about 1/2 , Ive tried beating it back in and re-clocking it to another
> notch about ten times without any change.  My hands are bruised, my arms
> sore, and Im out of ideas.
>
> Help..
>
>
>
> Patrick Elliott
> Big Dog Metal Works <http://www.bigdogmetalworks.com>
>  541 297 0004
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]