Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Axle issue

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:15:57 -0400

Yes it does.  But read Pat's original message again.  The problem axle will
not come out of the diff.  Apparently the splines have sheared off, but the
shaft itself is intact.  And stuck in the diff!

Sent from my keyboard

On Sep 15, 2013, at 2:09 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Surely that depends on where the break is?
>
> In a message dated 15/09/2013 17:42:20 GMT Daylight Time,
[email-masked] writes:
> It has to come out before the
> diff can be removed.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Pat Elliott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:50:38 -0700

I dont think its broke in the normal sense. I think I sheared off all of
the splines, except the tip.

If its seated I can rotate it freely, independent of the diff.  If I pull
it out about < (0.25) it engages the differential.

Im thinking that these messed up residual splines and causing my heart
ache.

Ive driven it for eighteen years, I dont know the previous history, But I
dont think these axles have ever been replaced.

A lister called me from Toronto, sorry I didnt catch the name, the Skype
connection was very poor. He had a brilliant idea of using the axle head,
some nuts and bolts, to make a puller of sorts.  Im ashamed that I didnt
do that off the bat.

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 11:10 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Axle issue

[email-masked]

---

From: "Pat Elliott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 16:52:36 -0700

So much for my idea that I sheared off the splines.   I used three bolts,
nuts and a couple of flat fender washers to protect the threads on the wheel
hub.  bolts through the axle head, nuts behind, pushing against the hub. out
in less than ten  minutes without any hammering.   

Thanks again to the friendly gentleman from Toronto..

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Sprite axle1.JPG]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Sprite axle2.JPG]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 20:55:06 -0500 a=zZKT3jqqOw0A:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=V6f-GIhDAAAA:8 a=B_bPcynLLlAA:10 a=kIPUB1UcHQIJxFFsJCMA:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=V6RE5z5OoxD22U2SZb2tBg==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

I haven't had to do this on a Spridget but can't you take the other side off 
and then push a piece of pipe in from the good side and pound the stuck side 
out?   Your are probably going to pull the diff anyway to check for broken 
bits.

Mark
Nashville

----- Original Message ----- 

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 00:07:58 -0500

The problem with that idea is that there is a cross shaft for the spider
gears in the differential that will block the pipe. It is possible to put a
1/8 inch shaft past the cross shaft, but I doubt you will be able to get
enough force to drive out the axle. When I was 16 years old, I discovered
that the stands used for floral arrangement at gravesides used steel
material that was the correct size to drive out an axle spline that had
broken off.  I used that technique to replace an axle on the side of the
road on the way to school one morning. I only missed 1st period. 

I have never seem axle splines sheared off, but with replacement axles
coming from anywhere, I suppose it is possible. Particularly if they were
not properly heat treated.

I think the answer is to rotate the axle until the splines at the tip of the
axle are engaged, then use pry bars on each side and try to lever them off.
It might also be possible to drive a two chisels between the axle flange and
the bearing to put steady pressure on the broken part. Once you have the
chisels in place, hit the axle on the end to loosen the pressure. Then drive
more of the chisels into the space. Eventually, it should come loose. 

As a last resort, you could remove the axle housing. Cut off the back of the
housing behind the ring gear and then use a drift to drive out the old axle.
Buy another axle housing, trade all of your good parts, and you are back in
business. You would at least save the differential that way. 
Jim 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2013 8:55 PM
To: Pat Elliott
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Axle issue

Mark
Nashville
------------------------

[email-masked]