Subject: [Spridgets] Rear Shock Link

From: David Ambrose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 11:10:53 -0700

We've been replacing the rear springs and generally replacing everything 
on our '70 Midget. Happily, we're down to final assembly. But, as with 
many of these projects, we've hit a snag.

The left shock link went in, and is lined and looking great. Right hand 
side, not so much. When we disassembled the right side, we found the 
shock siezed and the link was pretty well trashed. Now that I'm putting 
things back together, I think I see why. The shock isn't lined up with 
the spring. It's displaced outboard, which puts a lot of strain on the 
link and consequently the shock itself.

I rechecked everything, and the axle's assembled correctly.

I'm thinking about putting fender washers under the shock to move it 
inboard and put everything in to alignment.

Has anyone run into this before? Any ideas as to cause?

Thanks,
Dave Ambrose
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Peter Caldwell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:24:29 -0500

With the shock laying flat on the table, the lowest part of the arm 
should be 1-3/4" up from the table surface.  The arms are bendable. 
You might have the wrong shock also.  It should have either 7401 or 
8681 stamped on the lower edge of the mounting boss., depending on year.
         Pete C
==
At 01:10 PM 9/22/2013, David Ambrose wrote:
>We've been replacing the rear springs and generally replacing 
>everything on our '70 Midget. Happily, we're down to final assembly. 
>But, as with many of these projects, we've hit a snag.
>
>The left shock link went in, and is lined and looking great. Right 
>hand side, not so much. When we disassembled the right side, we 
>found the shock siezed and the link was pretty well trashed. Now 
>that I'm putting things back together, I think I see why. The shock 
>isn't lined up with the spring. It's displaced outboard, which puts 
>a lot of strain on the link and consequently the shock itself.
>
------------------------

[email-masked]