Subject: [Spridgets] Axle issue

From: "Pat Elliott" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2013 15:57:00 -0700

Recently while driving my 62 sprite I had a bit of trouble.  While pulling
out from a stop, I heard a ping and lost the connection between the motor
and the ground.  I instinctively thought broken axle.. call a tow truck
and took her home.  Once home I jack up the rear end confirmed my diagnosis,
order two axles and two bearing kits.

This morning I decide to tackle the project and heres where the fun begins.
I jacked up the drivers side and confirmed no connection, wheel turns
easily without turning the other wheel or the diff.  Disassemble and
discover that I can pull the axle out about < and now Im reconnected to
the diff. It appears that Ive sheared off all the splines on the shaft and
have just the little bit of spline that were poking through.  The problem is
that its most likely screwed up the splines and I cant get it to come out.
Im using a 10lb slide hammer to no avail. Im able to get it to come out
about 1/2 , Ive tried beating it back in and re-clocking it to another
notch about ten times without any change.  My hands are bruised, my arms
sore, and Im out of ideas.

Help..

Patrick Elliott
Big Dog Metal Works <http://www.bigdogmetalworks.com>
  541 297 0004
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive