Subject: Re: [Spridgets] While we are discussing prop rods

From: "Greg Higgins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 10:00:48 -0400

Brad, I always used a 1"x 3' piece of a broom handle I kept in the trunk. I 
place one end in the latch box the other end up by the spring, you get lots 
of hood height to work on the car, I never use the prop rod. When I restored 
my 63 sprite I found the hood hinges and hood had flex cracks from years of 
being supported on one side, my car being the passenger side.

Greg Higgins

-----Original Message----- 
From: Brad Fornal
Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:38 AM
To: Spridget list ; Yahoo Spridget list
Subject: [Spridgets] While we are discussing prop rods

On the 66 eBay Sprite, the original right wing (US passenger side) was
replaced. This one is off a later car, so the metal tang that the prop rod
fits into was never there. I have a small bit of stainless sheet, and will
make one, that I can bolt onto the inner lip.
My question is, if any of you guys were to do this, would you put it back
where it was from the factory? OR, since it isn't even the correct wing for
this car (for you concours folks) would you set it back further, to allow
the bonnet to sit open higher?
AND if I WERE to let it sit open higher, can anyone think of any issues
that may arise from that modification, other than the wind will catch the
bonnet easier?

DON JULIO 1942

http://tequilabrad.com/
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked] 
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Bob Spruck <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 20:49:03 -0400

I agree. I always hated to put a strain on one side of the bonnet and 
see the other drooping and applying pressure on the hinges. On both my 
67 vintage racer and my 72 street/show car, I use broomsticks that open 
the bonnet the maximum amount without putting pressure on the hinges. I 
also anchor them in the little cup on the panel in front of the radiator 
and one of the holes in the cross brace on the bonnet. I don't want that 
heavy bonnet blown by the wind or knocked by a well meaning crewman and 
falling on my head or fingers. I painted them bright yellow to make it 
harder to loose them and they fit nicely in the boot or across the 
interior between the rear wheel wells.

If anyone insists on the proper arrangement, I have a few unobtainable 
rods, clips, and brackets as well as the slider type on my 9 parts cars.

To continue the thread, anybody have anything to say about the boot prop 
rod?

Bob

On 8/11/2013 10:00 AM, Greg Higgins wrote:
> Brad, I always used a 1"x 3' piece of a broom handle I kept in the 
> trunk. I place one end in the latch box the other end up by the 
> spring, you get lots of hood height to work on the car, I never use 
> the prop rod. When I restored my 63 sprite I found the hood hinges and 
> hood had flex cracks from years of being supported on one side, my car 
> being the passenger side.
>
> Greg Higgins
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Brad Fornal
> s
------------------------

[email-masked]