Subject: [Spridgets] Stationary Engine 1275cc

From: Tim Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 09:17:52 -0400

Some listers may remember that I am working on a 1275 stationary 
engine project. This is just a engine that I can play with to learn 
more about tuning, carb adjustments, etc without having to work in 
the bowels of an engine compartment.

My car is a 1098 so the 1275 has some stuff that's new to me. 
Pollution control! The air pump, air rail, and other gadgets have 
been removed and the holes in the head have been plugged.

The carbs are SU HS2's with the tubes for the "Y" pipe that connects 
both carbs to the oil separator on the timing cover. I think I need 
to retain this to provide the vacuum necessary to "keep the oil in 
the engine." I read in the archives that the carbs serve as a PVC the 
way they are made. (Info from Ulix)

So, . . . is that all I need to run the engine on a stationary stand 
as far as "vapors plumbing" is concerned?

And, . .

The manifold has a small port for something - distributor vacuum 
maybe? Where does the distributor vacuum hook up?

And, . . . the manifold has a much larger port (has a right angle 
bend toward the front of the engine) for something related to 
pollution control. Can I just plug that off or does that provide some 
function I will need?

Can this be used as a vacuum port for a gauge?

The valve cover oil filler cap is the vented type - replace every 
12,000 miles - small holes around the side of the cap.

I have pictures of all this stuff on the Flickr site at: 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12702006@N07/sets/

Just click on the set of pictures for the "Engine Hot Test Stand."

Oh, and if you look at the pics, take a look at the engine number 
picture. What's the dangly "J" about?

(6 questions today)

Tim Collins
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 15:14:12 -0400 (EDT)

Why not put the 1275  in your car and the make the 1098 the stationary  
engine?

In a message dated 16/08/2013 14:22:08 GMT Daylight Time, [email-masked]  
writes:

And, .  .

(6 questions today)

Tim  Collins
------------------------

[email-masked]