Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tire Size

From: Rick Bastedo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 11:49:55 -0700

Thanks Larry, point well taken - use good tires and make sure they fit the
wheels.

I've got 6" wide alloys on my Midget.
I run General Altimax RT tires in 175/70 size, I did get rubbing on the
back wells and had to roll the fender edges.
I really like the stance, how they grip while driving and my braking has
never been better.

Rick Bastedo

**********************************
From: Larry Macy <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Tire Size

I think you all missed the point.

The STD Midget wheel is a 4  wide wheel. He has a 5  wide wheel. 155 s will
not fit. Well you could mount them and they will be wider at the wheel than
on
the contact patch. This causes excessive wear on the edges. And are not the
right size for the wheel. I would recommend nothing less that a 165/70 for
that size wheel. A better bet would be a 175/60 or /50 But I don t think you
can find them in less than a race tire. On a 5  wheel I would go for a
175/70
and consider rolling the fender lips. I never did, and I never regretted it,
but I only had 4.5  wide wheels, I would have loved those 5  wide ones.

Oh and one more NSHO. Forget that cheap as I can find tire. Every one gets
all
so excited about making sure the brakes work, and they are right, then put
the
cheapest POS rubber on the road. I don t care if your brakes will lock up
your
rotational parts in one millisecond or 10. If the rubber is cheap, it will
not
hold the road. You don t need the most expensive race tires, you just need
good tires. Let the rusting buckets pay the a**holes that sell the crap
tires.
The tire is the last place between you and the road. Is that where you
really
want to save a couple of $$??

Larry, The Tire Guy
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive