Subject: [Spridgets] The transmission WORKS!

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 21:24:41 GMT

I just thought that I'd update everyone on the ribcase rebuild. I finished
reinstalling the engine and all yesterday and took it for short drive today (I
had some tire rubbing issues), The transmission works smoothly and
effortlessly through the gears. I wanted to be sure to thank everyone who
helped out a various times: Rick Fisk for the Clymer and Haynes Gearbox
sections, Jim Seippel for being 'on call' when I reassembled the detents the
first time, Gerard Chateauvieux for confirming that first gear was assembled
correctly, as well as everyone else that gave me support in affirming that I
really COULD rebuild a transmission. I DID IT!
I know that these are relatively easy, but they are still full of balls and
springs that DO go away if you aren't careful enough.
In case anyone needs one, I now have the tool to hold the first gear detent
balls in place and get the slider itself into place. I'm willing to share, as
long as it comes back.
Thanks again to everyone and I'll put some pics up on the sprite experience as
soon as I have a chance.
BTW, this was for the MKII, not the BE.

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
HAN6L12977
AN5L8016
____________________________________________________________
Raise the Minimum Wage
Tell the GOP: it&#39;s time to raise the minum wage
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 19:06:37 GMT

Just for reference, are the cones the tapered parts that mate into the baulk
rings when shifting and actually slow the gear to help engagement? If so, How
do the ribcase cones get attached? mine were in not-so-good shape, but lacking
experience, I reused them and the gears they were on.
BTW, If anyone does do a ribcase, be sure to clean the Reverse/1-2 detent hole
out, I've got a bit of a glitch sometimes, and I think its due to grit in
there keeping the 'pill' from moving easily.

Mark Haynes

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 11:37:21 -0700
From: Gerard <[email-masked]>

Great news Mark, congrats!

Dave, the smooth case requires the the gear synchronizing cones to be shrunk
on. This is typically done in a heated oil bath (250F) and both inside and
outside surfaces need to be machined rather precisely before and after
assembly. I rebuilt one of these in the late 60's, but parts were easy to get
and finding a shop to do the work was easy and reasonable.  If you had all
the
parts ready to go, it's no more difficult to rebuild than a ribcase, it's all
that comes before that's the obstacle.

Gerard
____________________________________________________________
30-second trick for a flat belly
This daily 30-second trick BOOSTS your body&#39;s #1 fat-burning hormone
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:43:13 -0400

No baulk rings in the smoothcase.  The "cones" in a smoothcase are actually a
bronze looking ring with the outer diameter cut at an angle.  They are mounted
on the second and third speed gears.  The cone fits in a corresponding hole in
the next gear or synchronizing assembly.  Kinda hard to describe and neither
Moss or VB has a parts list photo to refer you to.

Sent from my keyboard

On Jul 16, 2013, at 7:06 PM, "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 00:48:55 GMT

Thanks Rick,
That explains a lot, The only other difference that I know of is that the
smoothcase has bushings instead of roller bearings in the laygear, is that
right?

Mark Haynes

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Haynes <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] The transmission WORKS!
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 17:43:13 -0400

Sent from my keyboard

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
____________________________________________________________
1 Odd spice that FIGHTS diabetes
Can this unusual &#34;super spice&#34; control your blood sugar and fight
diabetes&#63
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 22:34:01 -0400

Close!  The laygear has needle roller bearings, but the spigot on the front
end of the output shaft goes into a bushing in the rear end of the input
shaft.  If you decide to rebuild a smoothcase I believe this bushing can be
replaced with the later caged needle roller bearing.

Sent from my keyboard

> No baulk rings in the smoothcase.  The "cones" in a smoothcase are actually
a bronze looking ring with the outer diameter cut at an angle.  They are
mounted on the second and third speed gears.  The cone fits in a corresponding
hole in the next gear or synchronizing assembly.  Kinda hard to describe and
neither Moss or VB has a parts list photo to refer you to.
diabetes&#63
> http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/51e5ea2212b246a21150bst01duc
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 13:57:42 GMT

Thanks Rick,
Since I have the original smoothcase from the MKII, as well as the BE, its
good to know the differences to aid in parts acquisition.

Mark Haynes

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
To: Mark Haynes <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] The transmission WORKS!
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 22:34:01 -0400

Sent from my keyboard

diabetes&#63
------------------------

[email-masked]