Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Is it a problem?

From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 08:10:44 -0500

The impulses to the tach come from the low tension lead between the coil and
the distributor. That wire actually runs from the coil through a loop at the
tach back to the distributor. The tach takes the fluctuations in the field
created at the loop and converts that to rpms. It is likely that is the
cause of the problem. Either that or the tach is failing.  :-) - Jim 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Bill L
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 7:53 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] Is it a problem?

Hello Spridgets,

  Went to the ABFM-Bellevue over the weekend. Car runs great, but...

  I was headed home and the tach started to bounce. Not just a little,
  but WILD swings. The car never seemed to loose power, but the tach
  would fall from 3500 down to 1500 or so then bounce back, drop,
  bounce... I slowed down a little and it stabilzed, and didn't bounce
  again..

  I took it easy and looked for a loose wire on the coil but found
  those two to be OK. I did notice a little grove being worn on the
  wire from the coil to to the dizzy, where it was rubbing on the body
  a little, so I turned the wire so that it didn't rub at that spot.
  ..

  could  the tach bounce be caused by electrical leakage in that coil wire?

  I put a spare in the trunk. .. I'll put electrical tape over the
  wear spot and insulate the body at the wear point.

  ?????

-- 
Best regards,
 Bill L.                          mailto:[email-masked]
 
 '66 Sprite MKIII HAN8L49403  "the red thing"
 
   "It's made the grass wet," said Tom after due consideration.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: David Groundwater <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:19:12 -0500

I replaced the capacitor in the tach and my bouncing went away
Dave
70 Midget
http://www.classictiger.com/techtips/motach.html

> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 05:52:55 -0700
> From: [email-masked]
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]