Subject: [Spridgets] Fender Bead

From: James Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:10:05 -0700 (PDT)

I'm in the process of replacing Fender Bead on the bonnet on my Be. P.O. had
rear bead deseamed so I can't help you there but same technique applies. First
of all, there are a couple of How To Videos/ Step by Step stuff available.
Google Replace Fender Beading. One good one is available as part of MG
Experience.com forum and there are a couple more out there.
 
You do not want
to separate fenders if you can help it. Cut the top of the T off with an angle
grinder and a grinding wheel. It goes pretty quick. I was able to get a very
thin cut off wheel, really thin at Home Deport and I'm you can find the same
at other Big Box Stores for my Angle Grinder. I also got a similar cutoff
wheel really thin for my Dremel Tool. Goal is to cut a channel about a 1/4"
deep and remove the center section of the T that remains. I found on one
fender I needed to use the Dremel as slot was really tight and on the other
the angle grinder with the thin cutoff wheel worked much easier. More
controllable and the mass of the angle grinders seemed to cut and push through
easier than the Dremel Tool. You only want to go down 1/4" , any more and you
risk separating welds and the fender will indeed come off. 
 
Obtain new
fender bead and cutoff all but 1/4" of the bottom of the T so it fits in your
slot. Lots of fiddling around to get everything to line up and lay flat. Bead
can be reattached via soldering or 3M panel glue. I'm going with panel glue. I
believe the 3M does not require a special applicator gun. There are several
that are out there that can be used.
 
Key in prep work is how to treat the
rust you will find under the fender beads. It will be in there. My plan is to
clean up slot, again Dremel or Cutoff Wheel will get you started and then use
one of the Phosphoric Acid Rust Converters to treat what I can't reach with
wheels. Make sure your paint and primers are compatible with Rust Converter
before treating. That's how I'm going about it. 
 
Do your research and decide
on a technique. Wear a mask as grinding all of the rust out and the slowly
disintegrating cutoff wheel generate some dust I'm sure aren't the greatest to
inhale. Remember this is lead paint you are grinding. Respirator is better.
Safety first.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive