Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1275 vacuum advance

From: Jim Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:36:27 -0500

Michael,

My understanding is that the vacuum advance kicks in at higher RPMs to
advance the timing of the distributor. I would guess that at higher RPMs
the engine wouldn't run as well and as efficiently without advanced
timing.  Standard disclaimer - "I could be wrong".   ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Michael Rowe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Because of a size mismatch, my vacuum advance is not attached, and the
> take-off tube is blocked.  I just had to redo it yesterday, because the
> blocking fell off and my idle speed doubled; otherwise, it did not
> obviously matter.
>
> If I do not stomp on the gas all the time, because I am an old fart, and
> because I currently have very limited use  of second gear in this car, does
> the vacuum advance actually do anything?
>
> Michael Rowe
> 1275 Midget
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
Sprite-Midget Club USA <http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org>
High Plains Youth Hockey <http://www.highplainsyouthhockey.org>
Dodge City Trail of Fame <http://www.DodgeCityTrailofFame.org>
Electronic Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology <http://www.EJSSM.org>
Dodge City 300 <http://www.DodgeCity300.org>
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jon Paschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 13:52:56 -0700

Nope, vacuum advance is only for mileage,  think about it when you got 
your foot in the gas the throttle plate is open to the the air so there 
is no vacuum because air is allowed to flow to the engine, when you are 
just cruising the throttle plate is about closed so there is vacuum from 
the restriction and safely advances the timing. When you step on the gas 
the vacuum goes away and retards the timing to keep the motor safe. 
Racers don't use a vacuum advance as they have no use for good mileage 
and to much advance kills motors.

------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:56:44 -0400

I clearly had the workings of the VA backward  I guess I should just ream 
out the rubber fitting on the end of the VA tube to fit my too-large 
take-off pipe.  It is not really hard, it just takes time and skill not to 
damage the fitting.

Thanks all,
Michael Rowe

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Jon Paschke" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 1275 vacuum advance

> your foot in the gas the throttle plate is open to the the air so there is 
> no vacuum because air is allowed to flow to the engine, when you are just 
> cruising the throttle plate is about closed so there is vacuum from the 
> restriction and safely advances the timing. When you step on the gas the 
> vacuum goes away and retards the timing to keep the motor safe. Racers 
> don't use a vacuum advance as they have no use for good mileage and to 
> much advance kills motors.
>
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]