Subject: [Spridgets] Fwd: [Bmcu] Mystery Sprite - any one missing one ?

From: Mark J Bradakis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:18:44 -0600

One of the local club guys here in Salt Lake was helping a fellow with 
his Triumph, and
the guy mentioned there was another one for sale in the neighborhood. 
Turns out it
is a Sprite Mark 2. Mostly.

Gee, wonder what happened to the numbers? And the original engine?

mjb.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[Bmcu] Mystery Sprite - any one missing one ?
Date: 	Wed, 26 Jun 2013 21:24:53 -0600

Further to looking into this Sprite...
I went digging for the "BBhidden"BB numbers ..
The door posts revealed screw holes on both sides where a plate had been 
... but no numbers
Floor cross member on right is rusted,BB I couldn'BBt see anything but 
will take a closer look.
The right suspension plate, after much crud removalBB reveal HAN XXXXX 
where someone had carefully and methodically obliterated the numbers ...
But the final place under the electrical cables tucked under the right 
fender/wing revealed as clean as day 57700 is that a body number or part 
of the VIN ?
So to the cognoscenti out there, would the original VIN have been HAN 
57700 ?
Closer examination of the plate welded to left chassis leg directly 
under the carbs shows it was very poor job, on thick plate and clearly 
not factory, taken from something but I doubt a Sprite.
The Engine is an MGB 1.8 (18 is stamped on the rear of the casting, and 
it appears an MGB gear box was used too, hence the expanded tunnel metal 
work. The engine mountings up front are sitting on crude but effective I 
beams about 4" deep - to get the lift required from the Sprite mount to 
MGB mount ...(Compression was reasonable at 150,132,132 138)
So anyone missing a Sprite Mk II ? probably red to begin with, then 
yellow and now metallic blue...
Steve
_______________________________________________
[email-masked]
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive