Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Brake issue on my LJC (Honda Accord)

From: Greg Gowins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 12:37:52 -0500

Got it figured out.  Nothing to do with ABS or hydraulics.  The nylon in
the self locking nut on the passenger side radius arm gave out, and the nut
backed itself out.  This allowed that side to move to the back under hard
braking, and thus pulled the car to the right.  You couldn't really tell
anything was wrong with the car sitting there.  It wasn't until I tried to
move things around with a pry bar to simulate load that the issue showed
its face.  Oh well, $1.49 later for a couple of new nylock nuts and some
Loctite for extra protection, and the car now brakes in a straight line
under a panic stop with no wheel lockup.

Greg Gowins
'69 Sprite (and '97 Accord Coupe)
Driftwood, TX

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM, Greg Gowins <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I left some of the details out about my ABS troubleshooting.  I don't
> think it is an ABS electrical issue, rather a hydraulic issue.  I pulled
> the fuse and relay for the ABS system, to remove the computer and sensors
> from the equation.  I did hook up the OBD scanner, but it didn't throw any
> codes.  With the ABS system disabled, the car still dove to the right under
> hard braking.  So my thoughts on the ABS issue would be related to one of
> the hydraulic valves being stuck/partially blocked.
>
>
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:21 PM, David Booker <[email-masked]>wrote:
>
>> Greg - Sounds like maybe the ABS sensor in the FR corner is bad. Or
>> could be the entire ABS module at fault. '97 makes your Accords an OBDII
>> car, so have somebody pull the codes and see if that gives you a clue. If
>> you don't have a code reader, go to any Pep Boys - they'll do it for you at
>> no charge.
>>
>> So, did the ABS work on the other three wheels?
>>
>>  - David
>>
>>   *From:* Greg Gowins <[email-masked]>
>> *To:* Spridgets <[email-masked]>
>> *Sent:* Tuesday, May 28, 2013 12:05 PM
>> *Subject:* [Spridgets] Brake issue on my LJC (Honda Accord)
>>
>> Howdy all,
>>
>> I've run into an issue with my 1997 Honda Accord coupe that I'm having a
>> heck of a time trying to figure out.  I'm hoping that the collective
>> wisdom
>> of the list can help me figure out what is happening.
>>
>> A couple of weeks ago, someone pulled out in front of me, so I had to do a
>> 'slam on the brakes' stop.  In the past, ABS would kick in, the pedal
>> would
>> judder, and the car would safely and quickly come to a stop.  This time
>> though, the car dove to the right and the front right wheel locked up.
>> Didn't hit anything, but that was not the result I was expecting.
>>
>> I've had the car since new, and it now has over 276,000 miles on it.  So I
>> figured that one of the calipers was sticking, and since the calipers were
>> original to the car, it was time to swap them out.  So I got a new set of
>> front calipers, plus new flexible brake lines all around and got
>> everything
>> installed.  Took it on a test drive, and same thing.  Car dives to the
>> right, front right wheel locks up and if you don't have your hand on the
>> steering wheel, the wheel actually turns.  So I then tried swapping the
>> front wheels to see if it was a tire or wheel issue, and nothing changed.
>> I then swapped the calipers, rotors and pads from side to side, and that
>> wasn't it either.  I got the car up off of the ground, and then did a
>> visual check of all of the suspension parts.  I had replaced just about
>> everything (lower control arms, upper control arms, tie rod ends, hubs,
>> bushings all the way around) back in the fall.  Nothing appeared to be
>> loose or out of place.
>>
>> At this point, I was stumped.  I took the car to the local mechanic, and
>> let them have a crack at it.  They rechecked everything, and ran through
>> some tests of their own, but couldn't find the issue.  They thought maybe
>> the ball joints on the bottom of the steering knuckles were too loose, so
>> I
>> had them replace those and recheck the alignment.  Alignment checked out
>> ok, but the car still dives to the right under hard braking.
>>
>> So now I'm leaning towards master cylinder or ABS unit issue.  I don't see
>> any fluid leaking, but that doesn't rule out an internal issue.  I checked
>> the temps of the rotors with an infrared thermometer, but the difference
>> between the two sides was only 10 degrees F after a 20 minute drive.  The
>> car evidently has a split system, with the right front/left rear on one
>> circuit and left front/right rear on the other.
>>
>> This has been one of the more difficult issues to track down.  Anyone have
>> any ideas or thoughts on other things to check?  Any info or help would be
>> much appreciated.
>>
>> Greg Gowins
>> '69 Sprite/'97 Accord
>> Driftwood, TX
>> ------------------------
>>
>> [email-masked]
>>
>> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>>
>> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
>> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>> Unsubscribe/Manage:
>> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 13:53:25 -0400 (EDT)

Was I closest with my suggestion of check the dampers?

In a message dated 02/06/2013 18:46:40 GMT Daylight Time, [email-masked]  
writes:

Got it  figured out.  Nothing to do with ABS or hydraulics.  The nylon  in
the self locking nut on the passenger side radius arm gave out, and the  nut
backed itself out.  This allowed that side to move to the back  under hard
braking, and thus pulled the car to the  right.
------------------------

[email-masked]