Subject: [Spridgets] anyone ever hear of a factory Mk I Sprite, w/boot/trunk lid?

From: "Bud Osbourne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 21:44:32 -0400

At a local trolley museum anniversary celebration (50 years), yesterday.
The museum had a classic car display and asked our local Triumph club to get
some cars out.  Yeah, mine was the only MG there, but that's fine, too.

Anyway, there was a guy there with a Mk I Sprite, which was fitted with a
boot/trunk lid.  He says he's the second owner and the original owner was a
good friend of his.  He claims the he was told (he really didn't know much
about Brit cars and didn't claim to, either) that his car is one of six
Sprites built with boot/trunk lids.

Anyone ever hear of the factory doing anything like this?  I thought it
could possibly have been some sort of prototype/design study done late in
the Mk I production run, when BMC was looking for ways to "freshen" the
design, to compete against the soon to be introduced Spitfire.  Thoughts?

And, no, unfortunately, I didn't have my camera along with me.

Thanks, guys.

Bud
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 03:17:15 -0400 (EDT)

That album brought back a bunch of memories!

In a message dated 29/06/2013 00:40:27 GMT Daylight Time, [email-masked] 
 writes:

Nice car  they Generated, but I still Alternate on whether I like it.

Sent from  my iPhone

On Jun 26, 2013, at 5:56 PM, "Dean Hedin"  <[email-masked]> wrote:

> There was this one at the  50th..  Father and his son did the conversion.
> Real clean job,  you would swear it was  factory.
>
>
http://s295.photobucket.com/user/brokencase_photos/media/jubilee/IMGP0773-01
>  .jpg.html
>
>
> BTW, they converted to wire wheels the "hard  way" on this car, by cutting
> all the half spring
> fittings from  a later wire wheel axle housing and then welding quarter
> spring  fittings to make it
> go into the Bugeye.
>
> Can't remember  their names, but the son's first name was Calan I believe.
> They also  did a nice safety upgrade presentation at the  event.
------------------------

[email-masked]