Subject: Re: [Spridgets] NFI - 1967 Saab Sonnet ii - $2750

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 18:17:51 -0700

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_Sonnett

In the US, the two-stroke engine was called the 'Shrike' at that time. Its
displacement was reduced slightly, to 819 cc to avoid emission regulations
which exempted engines under 50 in3...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_two-stroke
================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Dean Swanson
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 5:51 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] NFI - 1967 Saab Sonnet ii - $2750

I stumbled across this on the Raleigh, NC craigslist and remembered races
Sonnets:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/3885920275.html

This a restoration project has all parts (there are Saab sonnets out there
still) but this is one of 232 made) so worth a little more if you got the
time/connections and/or skills this is restoration project with a big
payback
http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/1967/Saab/Sonett-II/2-Door-Sport-Coup
e/Values
Some one said they bought one already for 500.00, not this model, plus this
has all parts so no searching for stuff, just start cleaning and putting
back together(father started project before he passed) And the roll bar is
factory, these cars came SCCA race ready from the factory( The price is a
starting Point , not set in Stone)

*	Location: obo
*	it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial
interests

Posting ID: 3885920275

Posted: 2013-06-21, 2:30PM
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:24:59 -0400

Growing up in Sao Paulo, Brazil in the mid 70's I can attest that these
vehicles were the most
polluting contraptions ever devised by mankind...(Sorry Charles)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_93

Hard to believe the Swedes came up with this "thing". Did they ever drive
them in their own country?
When did they outlaw them?

One cannot imagine what endless SAAB 93 taxis billowing their blue smoke
down Avineda Santo Ammaro is like.
It is an impression in my mind that will never go away.  In fact, I could do
a good impressionist painting
of this. It would be sort of this blue stippled haze with these
hemispherically shaped SAAB 93's going hither
and yon.  All upon a backdrop of dingy and dirty buildings.     
 
However, despite all this, I still believe that with modern computer
control, careful intake and exhaust timing, 
(and maybe perhaps supercharging) the two stroke might still be tamed!

Proof that I am indeed, a crazy Swede.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 22:32:07 -0400

I worked for Kawasaki Motors at their SoCal Tech Center back in the 70's.  We
did some tests on the KZ750 and 900 3 cylinder engines when the EPA started
making noise about pollution controls on motorcycles.  The bikes were
screamers, but we found that up to 40% of the gasoline used went right from
the tank through the engine and out the tailpipe.  Talk about pollution.  :-)

Sent from my keyboard

On Jun 26, 2013, at 10:24 PM, "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 23:49:48 -0500

In my misspent youth (18 year old) I worked for the Saab dealer in Chapel
Hill, NC. This was back in '66. Did a lot of work on 2 stroke Saabs. I still
have a Saab 2 stoke timing tool. It was a special dial indicator that
screwed into the middle cylinder. The 750GTs and Monte Carlos were a lot of
fun to drive. They had a 4 speed on the column.  There were no automatics.
You drive the car by accelerating in each gear until the power fell off and
then shifting. The transmission had a free-wheeling feature so you couldn't
use the engine for braking when slowing down.  Since it was a 2 stroke, Saab
was concerned that there would be no lubrication if the throttle was closed
and the engine was still turning high RPMs. 

When I went to work there, mechanics were paid a 50% commission for work. My
predecessor took a bunch of cars apart and them was paid half of the total
commission.  He quit without completing anything. I had to deal all of the
unhappy customers, some of whom had been without their cars for over a year.
I had to find all of the parts and then put them back together. The shop
wanted me to complete the repairs for the other half of the labor (25% of
the total).  They didn't get their way. 

The owner of the dealership bought a 289 cobra and then brought it back to
the garage. The manager (who had some racing experience) pulled the engine
out the first day it was there so they could "blue-print" the engine.  When
I left, the owner wound up sending the car to a Ford racing engine shop that
had ties back to Shelby. 

The manager of the dealership also  "borrowed" one of the factory cars that
was floor-planned for sale. He put in a roll bar and went racing at VIR. He
rolled the car on the downhill before the pit straight the first weekend
out. He left under a cloud when Saab North America pulled an inventory of
the cars and several were missing. It turned out he sold them and never paid
Saab. They were not happy.  Fortunately the owner was heir to a large
fortune.  It was somewhat smaller when the dust finally settled. 

That was a wild time.  I was glad to get out of that madhouse. 
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2013 8:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] NFI - 1967 Saab Sonnet ii - $2750

[email-masked]

---

From: Larry Macy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 09:57:14 -0400

Where's chuck when the 93 needs a defender??

Larry

--

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.

One of these days, you'll look back on all this, and plow into a parked car.

Sent from my Magical iPad

> Proof that I am indeed, a crazy Swede.
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Lester <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:47:09 -0500

Close.. the "Shrike" was an advertising name for the SAAB 96 2 stroke in '68.
Yes, it had an 820cc (Down from 850cc) engine with a big yellow dot on it to
verify that it was the small displacement engine.  The Sonett (Model 97 ) in
'67 was the 850 cc engine with some extra horses coaxed out of it with a
triple carb, full web crank, dual fuel pumps, and I believe different porting.
They don't weigh very much and are a real giggle to drive.  And when properly
set up with the right oil ratio/right oil they only smoke a little.. here's
mine on the dyno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzcP5vDdGrk

Lester

> Posted: 2013-06-21, 2:30PM
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Lester <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 23:49:10 -0500

Dean, if you are or anyone else is close I would sure like more info on that
car..

Lester

------------------------

[email-masked]