Subject: [Spridgets] kinda spridget related

From: EASTJONES alan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 16:04:18 +0100

My neighbour  (note the spelling  I am in UK) owned /owns  2 Singer Le
Mans  of 1932 vintage but as you say the engine rebuilds are very costly so
he has sold one car to pay for the engine rebuild of the other.. Seem to
rememberthat the block and head were the problem , splits in the block and
cracks in the head.  Ithink the firm doing the rebuilld was making a new
casting of one or both parts. Naturally made of more modern materials
should be a lot better, And it looks like the original.  -
  There are not many north south engine transmission setups available for
transplanting over here . So an MG  1275 even with a std 4speed ribcase
gearbox should be ok for a 1934 car - depends on the diff ratio of course .
  I have been thinking about using a 1600cc bmw engine and transmission  -
should be bullet proof.
 The current trend is to fit what we call a K series engine made by the
defunct austin rover  BL or whatever they were called before BMW  sold them
of to the Chinese. Its one helluva engine as fitted in its 1800cc guise
into the MGF car and Landrovers, Also available as a1400cc as fitted in an
east west configuration in my MGZR ,
 We have to fit a bespoke bell housing to allow a 5 speed Ford type 9
gearbox to be fitted .
 But better I think if you can use an engine / gearbox combination already
mated.  The clutch and starter motor operation problems are circumvented
that way
Rgds
Alan
Warwick UK ( 1 mile from the Cape Works ! )
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive