Subject: [Spridgets] O.T. Vehicle Recall Question

From: Tim Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 15:15:01 -0400

Hi Folks,
My In-laws have a 2002 Mercury Sable LS that is leaking oil. A search 
on the Internet indicates that this is a common problem because the 
oil pan gasket wiggles out of place. The Father-in-law worries about 
these drips and is frequently having me check the oil. (He's 91) He's 
had the car at a shop for this problem, not the dealer, and the guy 
"couldn't say for sure" what the problem was. The drips amount to a 
small mess on the garage floor - no big deal, but it worries him.

So, I began thinking about other problems I learned about the car - 
some serious. (coil spring known to break and puncture tire, but not 
the subject of a recall) I know where to find recall notices and 
complaint notices about a vehicle, but is there a way to find out if 
recall service has been performed on a specific vehicle? I can't ask 
dad without causing a great amount of worry and he's likely to give 
me an answer that has nothing to do with the car anyway. I suppose 
the dealer must record repairs made under a recall, but I don't 
really want to go to the dealers to ask about a car I don't own. Is 
there an on-line solution? I have the VIN.

Tim Collins
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: brian S <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 11:15:09 -0400

Tim,

As Ron said, a call or trip to the dealer with the VIN,
they can pull the history of dealer performed service of a vehicle.
Ford's is called OASIS.
oil leak could be pan gasket, axle seal, drain plug....
Sounds like it wants to be a British car. ;-)

One worry I would have on the 1996-2004 Taurus's and Sable's,
is the brake lines, especially if it sees any salt.
They rust underneath the drivers door area, to the point of failure.
I had this happen to my 1998 SHO years ago.
Ford sells a prebent kit for this area.
 Coils springs on these cars are cheap and easy to replace.
$50-70 for a pair.
HTH,

Brian S.
Bugeyeracer finally resto'ed!
Thanks to Frank C.!

> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 15:15:01 -0400
> To: [email-masked]
> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Spridgets] O.T. Vehicle Recall Question
>
> Hi Folks,
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]