Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Horn contact question, 62 Sprite "Pinky".

From: Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 18:42:02 -0400

Bill,
Turns out it is missing a part called slip ring as seen in this photo. It
is the brass piece.
MOSS listed without image just part number 667-590.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29293&SortOrder=40

Anyone have one for sale as I would hate to buy it from MOSS, I thought
maybe I can make one out of brass plate, WWFD?
Lin

On Sat, Jun 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Gland down this google search. There are some illustrations and pictures
> that may help. I don't have a Bentleys any more.  Bill in Corvallis
> http://tinyurl.com/lsjepun
>
> ===========================================================
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Linda Grunthaner
> Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2013 1:34 PM
> To: Spridget list
> Subject: [Spridgets] Horn contact question, 62 Sprite "Pinky".
>
> List,
> Question, can someone help me with a horn contact problem? I finally got
> around to re-installing my Sprite stock steering wheel and also a horn
> assembly I bought 4 years ago after not liking the 12" racing steering
> wheel I installed 3 years ago. Yes time takes time.  I understand the
> contact aka horn brush with spring assembly goes into the hole on the
> steering wheel then on to the small hole in the steering wheel boss but
> what makes the contact? If it is to touch the metal on the dash behind the
> plastic boss I don't see much metal to make contact. Should there be a
> metal washer or clip attached to the metal section of frame? Can I add a
> metal washer so long as it touches the metal dash? I see no wires, clips or
> anything back behind the dash.
> Lin
>
> 62 Sprite "Pinky"
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of slip ring.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of Sprite steering wheel.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of topless.jpg]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 16:31:42 -0500

The horn circuit is grounded through the steering column. Here is the short
version.  12V is supplied to the horn. The other side is connected to a
brass slip ring attached to the steering column cowl under the steering
wheel.  The horn brush contacts this slip ring and passes though the wheel
boss (from which it is insulated) and presses against a contact pad on the
horn button. The horn button is a large push button switch with normally
open contacts. It has two connections, one is the slip ring through the horn
brush and the other is a sprung loaded connection to the wheel boss where it
picks up a ground. When you press the horn button, the circuit is completed
and the horn makes an anemic sound resembling a strangling frog. 

Here is a link to a drawing of the ship ring.  http://tinyurl.com/kwyqajk
It is item number 5 in the illustration. 

Jim
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Linda Grunthaner
Sent: Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:34 PM
To: Spridget list
Subject: [Spridgets] Horn contact question, 62 Sprite "Pinky".

List,
Question, can someone help me with a horn contact problem? I finally got
around to re-installing my Sprite stock steering wheel and also a horn
assembly I bought 4 years ago after not liking the 12" racing steering wheel
I installed 3 years ago. Yes time takes time.  I understand the contact aka
horn brush with spring assembly goes into the hole on the steering wheel
then on to the small hole in the steering wheel boss but what makes the
contact? If it is to touch the metal on the dash behind the plastic boss I
don't see much metal to make contact. Should there be a metal washer or clip
attached to the metal section of frame? Can I add a metal washer so long as
it touches the metal dash? I see no wires, clips or anything back behind the
dash.
Lin

62 Sprite "Pinky"
------------------------
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2013 19:58:05 -0400

>When you press the horn button, the circuit is completed

After I got crunched in a parking lot while leaning on the horn and trying 
to get a baulky transmission into reverse, I went out and bought the loudest 
Italian air horn I could find that would fit.  It can get anyone's 
attention, and I recommend it.

Michael Rowe 
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 20:59:27 -0400

>When you press the horn button, the circuit is completed  and the horn 
>makes an anemic sound resembling a strangling frog.

Or you can put your original horn safely away (as they are quite rare)
and intall one of these...

http://dx.com/p/auto-parts-car-electric-horn-speaker-black-12v-90963

http://dx.com/p/72w-car-speakers-pair-12v-117148 

I'm using the first one and it has a nice "Herby" kind of sound that is
much louder and safer than the original horn.  As I recall I only had to 
cut the bracket and then drill the two holes like original horn bracket.  

It's about the same size as the original bugeye horn.  No relay required,
just hooked it up directly.

The second ones look even closer to the original bugeye horn, but I have 
no experience with them.  You have to get two of them!  One for you and one
for a spridget friend.  You'll have to cut and drill the bracket on these
too.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 11:54:25 -0500

<< On 6/17/2013 7:59 PM, Dean Hedin wrote:

Or you can put your original horn safely away (as they are quite rare) and intall one of these...  >>

Those are dynamite finds, Dean ! !
  
Makes your advise above quite astute IMNSHO <VBG> ! ! !  I know I would follow it if I still had
mt Bugeye (or would on one 'someday'<sigh>) ! !

TNX !

Me

PS:  Afterthought <G> !  Mind if I post on a couple other Lists ??
------------------------

[email-masked]