Subject: [Spridgets] Speaking of Bugeyes

From: Brad Fornal <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 17:45:36 -0500

Now that Texas has decided to bless us with warmer weather again, I went
out to see if I could resolve my ignition light issue. I removed the cover
off the voltage regulator, and found both coils to be horribly burned, and
on the bottom coil, the bouncing plate, that the points work with, is
broken loose.
I dug into my parts bins, and found a regulator from a 58 Sprite that I had
parted out. Will this work as a bolt in replacement?
Thanks in advance

Brad

-- 
DON JULIO 1942

http://tequilabrad.com/
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 05:09:04 -0400 (EDT)

It controls or regulates the output from the dynamo to prevent overcharging 
 of the battery.  The dynamo might put out 14 volts charge which the 
battery  won't like so the clicking points thing prevents this from happening.  
Then  if you put all the headlights on and they draw 2 volts the clicking 
points thing  needs to open to let all the dynamo produce the full charge - 12 
to the battery  and 2 to the lights.
 
The easiest way to see this work is have an assistant switch stuff on while 
 the engine is running and for extra interest have a voltmeter across the  
battery.

In a message dated 05/05/2013 01:30:23 GMT Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:

They  both looked the same, both cars were positive ground, so I went ahead
and  put it in. My question is, what does it control? I left the cover off,
and  when the car was running, it didn't do anything.
Magically though, my  wipers now work.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 11:47:31 -0400 (EDT)

A dynamo doesn't put out as much voltage as an alternator at low rpm and 2K 
 is a relatively low rpm for a dynamo.
 
In a message dated 05/05/2013 15:19:11 GMT Daylight Time,  
[email-masked] writes:
 
I don't  believe the dynamo is putting out enough voltage, as the ignition 
lamp on the  panel is dimly illuminated while the engine is running at 2K. I 
have another  one on the shelf, I'll put it on when I get back from  
holiday.
------------------------

[email-masked]