Subject: [Spridgets] Condensers

From: Martyn Ridley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 15:29:53 -0400

First off a thanks to all those who responded.

In all my (many) years I had not experienced failures like this.  It 
appears that a batch of orange wire units are faulty.  We (my friends 
and I) have experienced 3 in the past 6 months - all recent purchases.

I did get (yes, orange wire) good units from Advanced Distributors. We 
will see. (My last orange wire unit worked for most of last season 
before quitting this spring).

I am still suspect of all orange wire condensers and so keep a couple of 
old (black wire) units in the car just in case.  My Moss supplier points 
out that all these parts come from the same place so its best to wait 
till the current batch is used up.

As for electronic ignition, I tried it back in the 70s (Mobelec and 
Pirranah) but found it was quasi reliable.  I'm sure things have 
improved (witness my British Honda) but I have have heard stories of 
Protronics issues.  And, I was advised by Advanced Distributors to stick 
with points.

So my next step is to check with my English suppliers to see if they 
have non-orange wire condensers.  I will keep the list informed.

Cheers,
Martyn
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive