Subject: [Spridgets] Ribcase reassembly question

From: Gerard <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 11:49:08 -0700

Hi Mark,

The ball goes on the opposite side of the shift rod from the long plug. If you
have the Bentley manual, it shows a cross section in Section F, Fig F3.

HTH

Gerard

On May 28, 2013, at 11:00 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 15:56:11 GMT
> From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Spridgets] Ribcase reassembly question
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252
>
> I finally got around to pulling the ribcase out of the MKII, and doing a
trial
> disassembly/reassembly of the other, bad (first gear shredded) ribcase box.
> I got all of the way to installing the two balls that are held in by the
> bolt/plug from the bottom, but can't quite figure out how they go in, (in
> figure f.3 of the gearbox section) I pulled the 3-4 selector rod back out,
and
> placing the ball into the opening, it only goes 1/2 way in. I'm not seeing
it.
> Do the balls go in before the rods?
> Rick? Peter? anyone?
>
>
> Mark Haynes
> It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
> HAN6L12977
> AN5L8016
> ____________________________________________________________
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:56:36 -0500

There is a ball that goes between the 1/2 shaft and the 3/4 shaft and
another ball that fits between the 3/4 and the reverse shaft. These balls
keep you from being able to select 2 gears at once which would be
disastrous. There is also and interlock spacer that goes between the 1/2 and
the reverse shaft. It has the same purpose. These interlock balls and spacer
are installed as you fit the selector shafts.  I sent Mark the Gearbox
section of the manual in anther email. The interlocks  are shown in figure
F3 of the manual.
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Mark Haynes
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 10:56 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] Ribcase reassembly question

I finally got around to pulling the ribcase out of the MKII, and doing a
trial disassembly/reassembly of the other, bad (first gear shredded) ribcase
box.
I got all of the way to installing the two balls that are held in by the
bolt/plug from the bottom, but can't quite figure out how they go in, (in
figure f.3 of the gearbox section) I pulled the 3-4 selector rod back out,
and placing the ball into the opening, it only goes 1/2 way in. I'm not
seeing it.
Do the balls go in before the rods?
Rick? Peter? anyone?

Mark Haynes
It only goes one way-Pay it Forward
HAN6L12977
AN5L8016
____________________________________________________________
Weird trick
Bank loophole lets you collect silver from practically any bank
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 19:35:48 GMT

I know that they are shown (kind of) in figure f.3, my question is, when do
these go in, and do they then get captured by the selector shafts?
The figure is ambiguous at best, so they go between the 1-2 and 3-4, and
between the 3-4 and reverse. If everything is in neutral, then there should be
adequate detents to allow the next shaft to go in, correct? Then why do I see
1/2 of the ball when I put it into the hole between 1-2 & 3-4, with the 1-2 in
neutral?
At the moment, I've got 1-2 and reverse in place, but can't get the balls into
their respective holes and out of the way of the 3-4 shaft.

Mark Haynes

-----Original Message-----

Mark Haynes

[email-masked]

____________________________________________________________
1 Weird spice that FIGHTS diabetes
Can this unusual &#34;super spice&#34; control your blood sugar and fight
diabetes&#63
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL3231/51a5073c8494673c1e04st04duc
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 21:20:06 -0400

Mark,

Do you have a copy of the Haynes manual?  Believe it or not the transmission
reassembly instructions in the haynes manual are better than the factory or
Bentley manuals.  If you don't have a copy I can try to scan the appropriate
pages and send you a copy.

As a former Tech Writer I never thought I would be recommending the Haynes
manual over the factory manual.  For the most part the Haynes manual is crap,
but in this case they have better instructions.  Sheesh, what is this world
coming to.  :-)

Rick
(watching the tornado warnings on TV)

Sent from my keyboard

On May 28, 2013, at 7:35 PM, "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark Haynes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 15:05:10 GMT

thanks to everyone who responded, especially Jim Sieppel, Gerard, and Rick
Fisk. The tranny is back together and all five gears engage just fine. Having
the Clymer and Haynes versions of the transmission section of the manual is a
big help (Thanks Rick), as was the bit of hand holding by Jim.
In the end, I installed the 3-4 rod first, and worked around that, the ball
just didn't seem to want to fit into the 1-2 detent far enough (go figure).
Nos I have a little bit of experience with it, and think that I know what I'm
doing (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, eh?) and am ready to move
forward with the trans that needs just a bit of touching up to work well.
thanks again to all.

Mark Haynes

[email-masked]