Subject: [Spridgets] Carlisle traffic I81 is now open

From: Kevin Valentine <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 16:16:28 -0400

*All Clear on Interstate 81 through south central Pennsylvania*
**
*All District 8*
Southbound Interstate 81 at Exit 70 approaching Harrisburg in Dauphin
County was reopened to traffic at about 7:35 this evening. Northbound I-81
approaching the Harrisburg area was reopened to traffic at I-81 Exit 59 in
Cumberland County at 7 p.m. this evening. This means that all of I-81 is
now clear for traffic through the Harrisburg area.

A fiery tanker crash shortly after 6 a.m. on Thursday, May 9, on the ramp
from northbound I-81 to westbound Route 22/322 closed the ramp and the
bridge that carries eastbound Route 22 over I-81 in the Exit 67 interchange
and also forced the closure of both directions of I-81 that pass underneath
those bridges. The spans of the eastbound Route 22 bridge that passed over
I-81 have been removed, making it safe to reopen traffic on I-81. The deck
of the ramp where the tanker truck overturned needs to be replaced, but
this can happen later, while I-81 is open to traffic. Protective shielding
has been installed under this bridge to protect motorists.

To help deal with traffic congestion after the fire closed I-81 on
Thursday, the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission waived its tolls between its
Carlisle interchange and Harrisburg East interchange to utilize this part
of Interstate 76 as an I-81 detour. Now that I-81 has been reopened, this
waiver will end at midnight tonight. At midnight, the Pennsylvania Turnpike
Commission will restore tolls for trips for the Harrisburg East Interchange
to the Carlisle Interchange (and the reverse trip).
The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation thanks you for your patience
and your cooperation.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive