Subject: [Spridgets] Starter circuit question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 09:52:13 -0400 (EDT)

I have a new after market wiring harness which has a starter relay on the fuse panel. Do I still need the starter solenoid/relay that is mounted on the firewall, also? Are they performing the same function? I'm confused. Any thoughts? Thanks 

Monty Love 
Lost in Alabama 
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 10:20:42 -0500 a=EaeM6De9Xh4A:10 a=zZKT3jqqOw0A:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=V6f-GIhDAAAA:8 a=NJP79ul7yjEA:10 a=DA-v0VzzAAAA:8 a=zOoktvdPAAAA:8 a=zsRQ1cXEB6MAR7yhNk8A:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=J0aUVQLP0FIA:10 a=m3MdUl94G8cA:10 a=ueZmfdD4mcUA:10 a=XKywMG_M2SIA:10 a=V6RE5z5OoxD22U2SZb2tBg==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

Monte,

The relay in your harness is probably not capable of carrying the load of 
your starter motor.  Most automotive relays are rated 30 amps or less and 
your starter solenoid should carry 100-200 amps or more to actually power 
the starter motor.  That being the case you will need to connect the relay 
to the solenoid not the starter.  In the case that you have a modern starter 
it may have a built in solenoid and you could use the relay in your harness 
to activate the built in solenoid.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2013 8:52 AM
Subject: [Spridgets] Starter circuit question

I have a new after market wiring harness which has a starter relay on the 
fuse panel. Do I still need the starter solenoid/relay that is mounted on 
the firewall, also? Are they performing the same function? I'm confused. Any 
thoughts? Thanks

Monty Love
Lost in Alabama
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]