Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Can't bleed new clutch master - ideas?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:47:32 -0700

Maybe the slave cylinder also needs work?  :-(

============================================
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rick Bastedo
Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2013 4:07 PM
To: Spridgets
Subject: [Spridgets] Can't bleed new clutch master - ideas?

I know bleeding the clutch can be a nightmare and due to my old master
acting up I went ahead and ordered and replaced my clutch master cylinder.

I've just spent the past couple hours trying to bleed it.

I have clear tubing going from the slave back up to the master so the
bubbles and fluid recirculate.

I have pumped and pumped and no longer have any air bubbles.

Yet when I tighten the bleeder I have no pedal at all.

I have repeated this several times now with the same result.

Oh and it's raining and 45 degrees F and I was soaked so I gave up until
the weather breaks.

Hints, clues, stories? Anything?

I did bench bleed the master before starting this process.

Have heard some have success disconnecting the master and getting it higher
than any bend in the tubing and bleeding by hand, I will try that if it
might work.

Rick (worn out, cold and wet) Bastedo
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Jeff Kelly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 19:32:12 -0500

Rick,

I just this past Thursday re-bled the clutch after being left open all 
winter. The master was dry on the clutch side and not sure how much fluid 
was still in the slave. The slave was open all winter. Not a good practice, 
but it happened. We have a 3/4" master and 7/8" slave. This is what we did. 
My son (52 yrs old) under the car working the clutch bleeder.  Me in the car 
pumping the clutch.  Bleeder open - pumped very vigorously probably 20 
pumps.  Closed bleeder - pumped about 20 pumps.  Pedal down - open bleeder., 
pump about 5- 10 pumps - pedal down - open bleeder. Repeat till fluid runs 
fairly clear.  Do not recirculate the fluid. Old fluid is dirty.  After 
about 4 repeats I began to feel pressure on the pedal.  two or three more 
repeats and pedal is good, clutch operates as designed.  This all took maybe 
20 minutes Max.
In 30 years working on bugeye's, I have never spent the time you describe. 
I suspect you are using all the pedal/piston travel to mover the fluid up to 
the master sylinder in the plastic tube. and when you release the pedal, it 
pulls the fluid back out of the line fron the master to the slave.

BTW, it was 40 deg's and sleeting in Mich. when I did this. But, we were 
inside dry at about 50 deg.

Good luck, hope you get it done.

Jeff Kelly

-----Original Message-----

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked] 
------------------------

[email-masked]