Subject: Re: [Spridgets] generator/regulator

From: Lester Ewing <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:33:58 -0500

Sounds like the regulator isn't regulating or your meter has gone off range.
Reset the range to 100v and see what it says..

Lester

On Apr 24, 2013, at 3:44 37PM, Michael Rowe wrote:

> I had trouble with the charging system in the Fall, and put the car away
before I figured it out. Today, I put in a new generator and a new regulator,
for which I paid extra to have Moss pre-adjust. I assume that it is correct,
but I got it from Moss. My problem remains unchanged. I can't really test it
because of the voltage problem:
>
> - The generator is not charging the battery.
> - I can get no voltage reading from the system anywhere when the engine is
on; the meter reads 8888. It works fine when the engine is off.
> - Even the battery reads 8888 when the engine is on.
> - I checked it for polarity against the battery to see if it read 8888 for
reversed polarity; it reads the same in either direction when the engine is
off (maybe there is a minus sign that I did not notice).
> - I sparked the field coil and checked the polarity of the generator with my
red-green probe; it is red, the same as when I put it on the positive terminal
of the battery when the engine is off. I assume that means the generator is
pushing, not pulling. The car is negative ground.
>
> Any USEFUL thoughts? Comments about Moss are not useful! Comments about my
incompetence are not useful! Comments on the beauty of The Holy Sprite are
nice, but also not useful! What's left?
>
> Very frustrated,
> Michael Rowe
> The Holy Sprite
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Michael Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:25:55 -0400

Following advice, I bought a really cheap analog voltmeter, which works 
where my expensive digital one does not.  If the polarity is wrong, the 
needle moves backward, which makes it easy.  It is very small, so reading 
are approximate.

So here's what I have found just now:
- New battery, new regulator (supposedly adjusted by Moss), new generator.
- With engine off, voltage is 12+ = fresh battery.
- Spark generator directly from battery to regulator F terminal.
- With engine on, battery voltage drops.
- With engine on, voltage at the regulator F terminal is 24v or more, which 
John Twist says means the generator is not properly polarized.

So how do I polarize it?  Is it dead if it does not respond properly?

Michael Rowe
The Holy Sprite
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: derf <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 10:29:28 -0500

Let the sparks fly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPUfQtVEJGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV8FFgia7uU

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Michael Rowe <[email-masked]> wrote:

> - With engine on, voltage at the regulator F terminal is 24v or more,
> which John Twist says means the generator is not properly polarized.
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.**html<http://www.team.net/donate.html>
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/**
> options/spridgets/derf247@**gmail.com<http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]>
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Lester <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 11:18:45 -0500

And you've triple checked regulator connections?

Lester

> Following advice, I bought a really cheap analog voltmeter, which works
where my expensive digital one does not.  If the polarity is wrong, the needle
moves backward, which makes it easy.  It is very small, so reading are
approximate.

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 23:05:22 -0400

Is converting to an alternator NOT an option here?
Because if it IS an option then that is THE WAY to go. 

If I still wanted to run a generator, I think I would gut the original 
relay based regulator and replace it's internals with a solid state circuit.
(email me off list if you are interested in such a circuit)

Life is too short to play with points, be they in the fuel pump,
distributor, or the regulator.
It is a nice spring day out there.  

Frank's Clarici's instructions on converting to alternator...in under 2
hours.
http://pdljmpr.tripod.com/techin.htm#Electrical:

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Michael Rowe
Subject: [Spridgets] generator/regulator - Progress

[email-masked]

---

From: Tim Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2013 09:52:00 -0400

Mike,
As others have stated an alternator sure is a nice upgrade to your 
car. Here's a link to pictures for my alternator swap including my 
home made bracket, alterations to a "swoop bracket" and wiring 
changes to the regulator.
<https://picasaweb.google.com/105717618225238141022/GeneratorToAlternator>https://picasaweb.google.com/105717618225238141022/GeneratorToAlternator 

At 11:25 AM 4/26/2013, Michael Rowe wrote:
>Following advice, I bought a really cheap analog voltmeter, which 
>works where my expensive digital one does not.  If the polarity is 
>wrong, the needle moves backward, which makes it easy.  It is very 
>small, so reading are approximate.
>
>- With engine on, voltage at the regulator F terminal is 24v or 
>more, which John Twist says means the generator is not properly polarized.
>

Tim Collins
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Michael Rowe <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 08:47:18 -0400

Report from the auto electric shop:
These two guys drive American cars from the '60s - no shiney chrome and 
paint, just old cars kept running as daily drivers.  They are very 
sympathetic, brought me into the back of the shop, and taught me how things 
work and how to test.

1.  The battery is good on my VOM.  It simply no longer works properly - 
sometimes.  Other times, it is fine.  It's "retired."
2. The $11 analog VOM works well and is easy to  interpret, but the cables 
are too short to be useful on a car.
3.  My old regulator is toast.  One  of the points is perminantly closed. 
Maybe adjustable.
4.  My new regulator, adjusted by Moss for $20 extra, doesn't work.  The 
generator guy said not to try to adjust it, but to send it back.  He 
happened to have a different brand in the bottom  of a cabinet, which he 
sold me.
5.  The new generator works fine.  The old one probably works fine also.
6. If you forget to attach all the wires properly, you get some funny 
numbers.
7.  I have not yet clearly demonstrated charging.  The battery is full, so 
maybe the field is shut off.  Can't see the points on the new regulator and 
may have to take it out to get a closer look at the design.
8.  More tests today.

But I'm driving!
Michael Rowe
The Holy Sprite
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Lester <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 10:15:45 -0500

Yup.. the solid state regulator looks EXACTLY the same it just doesn't have
points to go bad.  It's an easy enough change, just properly connect ALL of
the wires that the old regulator had. ;-)  Works a treat. If you want just a
daily driver than do the alternator switch, it's a fix and forget way of doing
things.

Lester

Maybe adjustable.
> 4.  My new regulator, adjusted by Moss for $20 extra, doesn't work.  The
generator guy said not to try to adjust it, but to send it back.  He happened
to have a different brand in the bottom  of a cabinet, which he sold me.
numbers.

[email-masked]