Subject: [Spridgets] Alternator Conversion

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 10:07:26 -0400 (EDT)

I know this has probably been beat to death, but I am converting my alternator
to a one wire GM alternator like the ones used on a 78 Camaro. I have read a
lot of internet pages that talk about having to take it apart and shift the
back of the case 180 degrees to get the mounting holes in a proper place for
mounting. Has anyone done this? Is it hard to do? I never have so Ibm a
little nervous about it.

Is there another alternator that is a direct fit or better fit that I should
be using?

Thanks for the help.

1972 Midget coming back together.

Monty Love
Huntsville, Alabama
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 19:39:55 +0000

Yes, that's the one.  From previous experience, I learned two things with this
model.

As always with working with alternators vs generators, don't accidentally
disconnect the lead to the battery while it is running.  The replacement
module cost me as much as what I paid for the alternator.

Also, I didn't do the twist of the case.  Instead I decided to take my grinder
to the alternator mounting ear and create a slot to match the mount ear on my
1275.  You might want to tape up the cooling fins to keep the shrapnel out of
the inner workings and bearings.

I think I gave Ed a photo of it a while back to post.

Chris
------------------------

[email-masked]