Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Coolant Leak

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:22:21 -0400

Watch this video from John Twist.......

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g-subs-u&v=6G5IxOCWFE8

Sent from my keyboard

On Apr 21, 2013, at 11:09 AM, "Mark" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As most of you know I have been involved in Spridgets for a long time but
> for the life of me I am stumped.
>
> My 1275 Bugeye has a coolant leak that I can't find.  I is dripping about a
> cup of coolant over night from the right side frame rail under the steering
> rack.  It is not from any of the hoses or the thermostat housing.  I can
> find no leaks from the cylinder head and the radiator is dry on the bottom
> side.  I can't see or feel any wet spots around the water pump and no trail
> is visible from the drip location.  The overflow hose extends well below the
> frame rail and the block drain valve is dry.  The temp sender in the
> radiator and the second one in the head is dry too.  The radiator doesn't
> appear to be loosing coolant so it must be coming from the block.  The
> heater box and valve are dry as well.  I was planning on pulling the
> radiator so I can have a better look but I know if do I will spill some
> coolant and maybe not find the wet spot that is leaking.  Am I missing
> something obvious?
>
> Mark
> Nashville
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Philip Nase <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:25:11 -0400

Maybe a pin hole somewhere. Did you check with the engine running and system
under pressure?

Phil Nase
Applebachsville, PA
http://home.comcast.net/philnasecpa/
p:p8p,p'

> coolant and maybe not find the wet spot that is leaking.  Am I missing
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Jim Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:28:34 -0500

I hesitate to mention this, but some years ago my brother pulled a
practical joke on his neighbor who parked his pickup outside. He was
working evening shifts and would sneak over with a dixie cup of oil and
pour it on the driveway under the truck.  He did this for a few weeks until
the neighbor mentioned an oil leak he couldn't find.  At that point my
brother stopped doing it. The neighbor was confused for years afterward and
convinced that some oil leaks can fix themselves with time....     Talk to
your lovely wife, Mark...   has she been checking your insurance policy for
a mental health clause?   ;-)

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Philip Nase <[email-masked]> wrote:

> p  :p  8p  ,p  '
> Unsubscribe/Manage <http://www.team.net/forumsUnsubscribe/Manage>:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>

-- 
Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
Sprite-Midget Club USA <http://www.Sprite-MidgetClub.org>
High Plains Youth Hockey <http://www.highplainsyouthhockey.org>
Dodge City Trail of Fame <http://www.DodgeCityTrailofFame.org>
Electronic Journal of Severe Storms Meteorology <http://www.EJSSM.org>
Dodge City 300 <http://www.DodgeCity300.org>
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 13:05:54 -0500 a=TKXXRjMxghoA:10 a=zZKT3jqqOw0A:10 a=IkcTkHD0fZMA:10 a=V6f-GIhDAAAA:8 a=kW6sOx4_6lsA:10 a=o1OHuDzbAAAA:8 a=y5aQWw3LtH_6fWT9uwIA:9 a=QEXdDO2ut3YA:10 a=ILCZio5HsAgA:10 a=V6RE5z5OoxD22U2SZb2tBg==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

I pulled the radiator and I think I have found it.  With the radiator out of 
the car and the hoses off the engine and on the bench it is still dripping 
!!

It looks like the brake line that runs under the radiator has a push in 
retainer that has two sharp points that may just touch the lower hose.  It 
looks like the retainer scratched the hose and caused a small leak that must 
have leaked into the sealed front frame cross member.   It's been about an 
hour and it is still dripping, I am about to try to pump some air in to the 
channel and see if I can blow it out.   I dug into my spares box and found a 
new hose but it seems a little small.  Was the hose for a 1275 downflow 
radiator bigger than the original 948 hose?  I will go see if I can find 
that they have different part numbers.

Mark
Nashville

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Philip Nase" <[email-masked]>

Phil Nase

------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 19:52:17 -0500 a=DHPlFdPffgYA:10 a=zZKT3jqqOw0A:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=V6f-GIhDAAAA:8 a=qnWqrPq8jrEA:10 a=iXRPu7e1Zxs3B-04Ar4A:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=V6RE5z5OoxD22U2SZb2tBg==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

Good day, I pulled the brake pipe retainers from the cross member and put a 
rubber tipped air gun in one hole and my finger over the other.  Pulled the 
trigger on the air gun and all sorts of s%#^ came out.  Then a few seconds 
later I heard a BANG and wouldn't you know the dent in the bottom of the 
cross member popped out, I guess I never realized that area was a closed box 
section.  I think I will drill a drain hole or two in it to try and keep it 
dry(er).  I did also find out that the lower hose I have been holding onto 
as a spare was for a 948/1098 not for a 1275.

Mark

----- Original Message ----- 
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Coolant Leak I think I found it!

Mark
Nashville
------------------------

[email-masked]