Subject: Re: [Spridgets] A couple of exhausting questions

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 16:44:18 -0700

I have a 1500cc block in a 1969 Datsun pickup. 
1. I don't know how long the studs are
2. High-strength brass nuts? Ye jest?? Just use brass nuts and a washer.
3. No extra stickum in there; It'll just get in the way the next time you
replace the donut. Generic donuts are available at NAPA's in various sizes.
You'll want to tighten the nuts every time it gets loud; then replace the
donut when that doesn't work.  ...Bill in Oregon
======================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of David Ambrose
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2013 4:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] A couple of exhausting questions

First, a little background:
My son's '70 Midget developed an exhaust leak. After a bit of poking 
around, we found it at the junction between the exhaust manifold and the 
down pipe. A little further poking around revealed the lack of any 
bracing for that pipe, hence the leak. Both the engine bracket and strap 
were missing.

We fabricated a replacement brace, and after congratulating ourselves 
for mechanical prowess, good character and general cleverness, we went 
to replace the donut seal. First two flange bolts came out fine, the 
third one, not so much. Broke off flush.

My neighborhood machine shop was more than happy to trade an official 
portrait of Andrew Jackson for an empty hole. They also put helicoils in 
all the holes because they didn't like the way they looked. These guys 
are now some of my favorite people.

We're ready for reassembly, but have a few questions:

 1. The parts catalog shows studs in the manifold. How long should they be?
 2. Should we use high strength brass nuts to bolt down the flange?
 3. should we use copper gasket dressing on the intake/exhaust manifold
    gasket?

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Jon Paschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 16:44:47 -0700

I think the studs are the same as the intake/exhaust studs on the motor.
Yes, use brass nuts.
Not necessary but use a new gasket and make sure all is clean/spotless.
Good luck and have fun!
Jon

On 4/28/2013 4:23 PM, David Ambrose wrote:
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 19:53:01 -0400

Whenever I suspect I am in a potentially leaking exhausting situation, I use
the exhaust sealing paste.
Just like Ed China does on "Wheeler Dealers".
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Dick J <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:19:22 -0700 (PDT)

It seems like drilling and helicoiling for replacement studs was an
un-necessary expense.  I just drilled out all three holes and used bolts and
nuts.  Drop the bolts down from the top, and nuts on the bottom.
 
DickJ 
>________________________________
> From: Dean Hedin <[email-masked]>
>To: 'David Ambrose' <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] 
>Sent:
Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:53 PM
>Subject: Re: [Spridgets] A couple of
exhausting questions
>Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: David Ambrose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 17:56:24 -0700

On 4/28/2013 5:19 PM, Dick J wrote:
> un-necessary expense.  I just drilled out all three holes and used 
> bolts and nuts.  Drop the bolts down from the top, and nuts on the bottom.
They did the helicoils for free, so who am I to argue? Thanks for the 
tip about the bolts though. I might do that next time on the B.

Cheers,
Dave Ambrose
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: David Ambrose <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 08:50:57 -0700

Thanks for all the good info. We'll start reassembly today. :-)

On 4/28/2013 4:23 PM, David Ambrose wrote:
> Unsubscribe/Manage: http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]