Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Alternator Conversion

From: derf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:11:25 -0500

They make several different version of the same alternator with different
mounting points.  Just find one that matches closely with what you want.
I did one a while back on a 1973 Midget and IIRC it should be documented in
the archives.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:07 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I know this has probably been beat to death, but I am converting my
> alternator
> to a one wire GM alternator like the ones used on a 78 Camaro. I have read
> a
> lot of internet pages that talk about having to take it apart and shift the
> back of the case 180 degrees to get the mounting holes in a proper place
> for
> mounting. Has anyone done this? Is it hard to do? I never have so Ib m a
> little nervous about it.
>
> Is there another alternator that is a direct fit or better fit that I
> should
> be using?
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> 1972 Midget coming back together.
>
> Monty Love
> Huntsville, Alabama
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: derf <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 09:18:09 -0500

>From my notes.  It has been a long time.  It seems like I had to cut part
of the alternator and/or add spacers, but it wasn't hard and didn't take
long.

"GM alternator #7127 63amp or #7134 80amp

The large Brown wire is the main charging lead.
The smaller Brown wire measures the system voltage to tell the
 alternator how much to charge. The Brown/Yellow wire operates the
 alternator warning light, and provides the initial voltage to the
 alternator to start it charging when the engine first starts,"

Brn/Yel #1
Brn #2"

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM, derf <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I did one a while back on a 1973 Midget and IIRC it should be documented
> in the archives.
>
>
>
>> to a one wire GM alternator like the ones used on a 78 Camaro. I have
>> read a
>> Unsubscribe/Manage <http://www.team.net/forumsUnsubscribe/Manage>:
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 01:03:11 -0400

I am using a 1993 vintage Honda Prelude alternator.

I did have to do a hacksaw cut to the aluminum housing for the mounting ear
to the block.
Outside of that I am quite happy with the fit and compactness of the unit.

I also had to change the pulley to a single v grove type.

When I was searching for the pulley, I ended up going to an alternator
rebuild place near me.
The guy was real knowledgeable.  He said I should have come to him in the
first place as he
had done this type of conversion many times.

So my advice is if you have a rebuilder in your area then go talk to him.
They really know their stuff.

You can see my alternator here...

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm135/brokencase_photos/getting%20close/I
MGP1383-01.jpg

It's funny to look at that picture, everything is so nice and tidy in that
engine bay as I was restoring it.
Now that I've been driving it for the past few years that engine bay don't
look so pristine.
Best laid plans of mice and men...

If you need detail as to how it's wired then just email me.  I used Frank
Clarici's instructions and
my generator relay box is now just a terminal block.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2013 10:07 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Spridgets] Alternator Conversion

I know this has probably been beat to death, but I am converting my
alternator to a one wire GM alternator like the ones used on a 78 Camaro. I
have read a lot of internet pages that talk about having to take it apart
and shift the back of the case 180 degrees to get the mounting holes in a
proper place for mounting. Has anyone done this? Is it hard to do? I never
have so Ibm a little nervous about it.

Is there another alternator that is a direct fit or better fit that I should
be using?

Thanks for the help.

Monty Love
Huntsville, Alabama
------------------------

[email-masked]