Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Santa Barbara in June

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 20:29:24 -0400

Go visit Moss in Goleta (just west of Santa Barbara).  Take Highway 1 up the
coast and visit Gerard in San Francisco.  :-)

Sent from my keyboard

On Apr 22, 2013, at 8:12 PM, Trevor Jessie <[email-masked]> wrote:

> It looks like I'll be in Santa Barbara the week of June 16th.  I'm tagging
> along with my wife on a "business" trip.  Anything I might see and do
> related to spridgets or British cars?  I'm not sure of our itinerary yet.
>
> Thanks,
> Trevor
> ------------------------
>
> [email-masked]
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "\" Just Brits \" Shop" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 23:43:19 -0500

<< On 4/22/2013 7:29 PM, Rick Fisk wrote:

Go visit Moss in Goleta (just west of Santa Barbara).  >>

As usual, Rick has got it correct, Trevor !

<< Take Highway 1 up the coast and visit Gerard in San Francisco.:-)  >>

BUT ( LOL ), if you could pull it off at the END of Wife's business ( BTDT - Last was Vegas <smirk>)

Leave early and take Hgwy 1 to Carmel-by-the Sea.  Just on the south side is Clint's joint (used to be) Mission Inn.  In town IIRC either the Wayfarer @ 4th & Mission or Wayside @ 7th & Mission.
Get the Wife settle in and you take off to G.'s.  LOTS of tiny shops in Carmel that any women would LOVE.

Again IIRC on the NE corner of San Antonio & Ocean (Clint's radio station in Play Misty for Me) is a nice little joint with great steaks and great prices (off seasons<G>).  Outside patio that lets you watch cars go by but hear the sounds of the ocean.  Way kewl.  Met Joan Baez there <G> with her TR-3 equipped with two HUGE Dobermans ! !  Very nice but kewl lady.

So IF you can pull it off.................

Ed

PS:  Larry, did I miss anything except you maybe meeting them for dinner <VBG> ? ? ?
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Richard Ball" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:33:13 -0700

Trevor,

It is probably too far out of your way and possibly the day you are 
traveling, but there is the Brits at Golden Cove in Palos Verdes on the 
16th.  It is a British only cars and coffee event on the third Sunday of the 
month.  Santa Barbara is about 120 miles North of PV so a couple hour drive. 
I don't know if he is still on here, but Vigil used to be part of this.

http://www.austin-healey.org/node/6285

I have kind of a soft spot for the PV/Torrance area since that is where my 
family is from.

Have a great trip.

Rich Ball
'76 Midget
Everett, WA

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Trevor Jessie" <[email-masked]>
To: "Spridgets" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 5:12 PM
Subject: [Spridgets] Santa Barbara in June

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked] 
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Mike Rambour <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 02:55:12 -0700

Car related... Moss !  and Cars & Coffee every Sunday morning. Its 
absolutely AMAZING the number of exotics and old cars some of the people 
that live here have.  I am constantly impressed with the calibre of cars 
that show up.  30 miles up the mountain in Solvang is a really nice 
Motorcycle museum.  And 30 miles south in Ventura is the Mullin Auto Museum.

  Unfortunately even with Moss here there is very little British car 
stuff going on and very few LBCs on the road.

   For things to see.  There is the Mission which is worth a visit, then 
our Courthouse which should not be missed, both of these take only a 
half hour to walk around (more if you are a history buff) and are well 
restored.  The Courthouse is only a short block from State street, our 
main shopping street.  Staying on upper downtown state, you should 
really go to the Karpeles Manuscript library, its a short look around 
maybe 1/2 hour but some of the documents they have are worth a look, 2 
years ago they had the Magna Carta, they rotate the manuscripts along 
with the displays so it changes every 6 or so months.  My daughter loved 
it a few years ago when they had a space suit that actually walked on 
the moon along with original blueprints of the space capsule.  
Everything so far is free and even if you are not interested in the 
stuff, they are pretty quick to see and build "wifey" points.   Staying 
with history and buildings, there is the Presidio which is interesting 
from the point of view of how they are restoring it and what it was 
built for, etc.  and while you can walk around it for free, they charge 
$6 to walk inside and see 3 rooms that you can actually look into from 
the windows while you walk around for free.  The Presidio is 2 blocks 
from State st. but it is near C'est Cheese if you are into Cheese from 
all around the world and some pretty good sandwiches. The Presidio is 
also across the street from 3 Pickles home of the second best Pastrami 
sandwiches in SB.   On the 900 block of State st. (same block as the 
Presidio) is a new pizza place that I don't remember the name of, they 
use 2 wood burning ovens and the pizza's are pretty good.

  If the wife is into Antiques, there are a few stores in SB but the 
best ones are in Summerland only 8-10 miles down the road and Tres Lune 
has a wood burning pizza oven and does pretty good pizzas.

   General "shopping" is all done on State st.  but its a long street, 
so the 2 malls are separated by miles, we informally call it lower state 
and upper state.   All the bars and dance clubs are on VERY low state by 
the beach.

  Speaking of the beach, of course you HAVE to walk the harbor and 
breakwater, I would stay away from the restaurants at the harbor, they 
are very touristy with the exception of Brophy's which is a small place 
upstairs, unfortunately the wait is always over an hour and often 
multiple hours and they don't take reservations, it was the local 
hangout at the harbor.    On the warf are some good restaurants, the 
very best for me is SB Shellfish company, they have Atlantic ocean 
oysters (only place in SB that does, all others get their oysters on 
West coast) and are reasonable on their shellfish, its all alive in huge 
aquariums.  No tables to sit at, you sit around the bar which goes all 
the way around the room, so not fancy like the Warf or Moby Dick's and 
priced less and guaranteed FRESH.   There is a Art show on Sunday's at 
the beach which is quite nice with local artists but I would go to C&C 
instead.

  If you did not build enough wifey points during the day and need some 
more before the night, you can go to Montecito and shop around upscale 
shops and go to Via Vai Trattoria for dinner, she will like it and they 
have a wood oven and make a really good pizza.  A drive through 
Montecito and looking at the mansions is always fun as well.

   For food while walking down state I would go to Norton's Pastrami, 
home of the best Pastrami sandwhich in SB, its next door to Giovanni's 
Pie's which does not use a wood oven but is the last pizza place in town 
that does not use a conveyor belt oven, only 2 tables its more designed 
for take out.  Do NOT confuse Giovanni's Pie's with Giovanni's 
restaurants (there are 3 of them), their pizza is garbage.  Good Italian 
food is Petrini's if you like family style food, if you want fancier 
there are many tratorria's in town.  Norton's is only open for lunch, 
they close at 4 (I think).  For Dinner there is a HUGE variety, Dan's on 
upper state has a wood oven but I have not tried their pizza yet, 
however I know the oven builder and chef personally so I assume its very 
good.  Dan's is a old biker bar that is trying to upscale itself, so one 
half bar, one half food now, but except for the pizza its mostly snacks 
from the wood oven.  Walking distance from Dan's is Harry's, pretty good 
steaks, its the local hangout, been there since the 1940's and warning 
their drinks are HEAVY on the alcohol, the food is not great but its 
never bad and its a nice environment.  Most of the restaurants on State 
are pretty good. Best steaks are probably at the Tee-off, but my choice 
is Paradise because they have good steaks and great fries (I prefer 
shoestring fries).

  On upper De La Vina is a old shopping mall, in there is Presto Pasta, 
really good pasta of all kinds and really CHEAP, but warning there are 
no other choices just pasta with all kinds of sauces/toppings.  Next 
door is Nicky D's pizza, and while he advertises its a wood burning its 
actually coal burning so its a white oven, the pizza there is different, 
its what he calls a New York style and you can taste the freshness of 
the ingredients but the dough is always soggy so I don't go there anymore.

   Then there is IV (Isla Vista) next to UCSB, tons of really good food 
for REALLY cheap and in June the scenery will be quite good due to the 
warm weather.  Make sure you bring sun glasses so the wife does not know 
what you are staring at and she should wear them also (so my wife tells 
me).  Angry wings is awesome !!!  and so is the BBQ place whose name I 
can't remember but can walk to for lunch and get the name if you need it.

  Still reading ? I can go on :)

     mike
------------------------

[email-masked]