Subject: [Spridgets] A little head action...

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:27:03 -0400

Well, This morning I pulled off the old head in under 40 minutes.
Spent the rest of the day pulling parts off the old head to put on the new
one. 
Then re-installing.

It was a blown gasket between 1 & 2 like I suspected.
http://tinyurl.com/d8shsav

One thing I've discovered is that all the manifold & thrmostat housing studs
I bought 
from Moss were about 1/4" longer than I prefer. I turned them down on the
lathe.

All the other studs were easily removed from the old head using a pair of
nuts backed 
to back.

I didn't trust the aluminum valve spring retainers so I pulled the steel
ones off the 
old head.  I used the springs on the 12G295 head since they looked thicker.

There was another hitch.  The 12G295 head had locating sleeves for the
intake manifold.
Unfortunately, my manifold does not have the cutouts for locating sleeves.
I thought all 1-1/4" manifolds would have the locating sleeve cutouts.  Is
this something 
that was added later?  I did'nt bother with them.

In any case.  It all worked out. Car runs fine.  I think I'll take her out
for a spin 
tommorow and then re-torque the head, re-adjust the valves, and then change
the oil.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 16:05:48 -0400 (EDT)

Until you strip the threads in the head or the bolts seize in the  head? 
 
I've never understood why anyone does that when you can buy an ARP  
stainless stud kit.
 
Weslake-monza 1330

In a message dated 24/03/2013 15:01:20 GMT Standard Time, [email-masked]  
writes:

throw  away the studs and reassemble with bolts. So much easier  to take  it
apart next time.
------------------------

[email-masked]