Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Looking for a Motor Porter, VW dealer item ...see image.

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:41:56 -0700

Try googling VW "motor porter" ...then save the results at 
http://tinyurl.com/brbl9pv

http://tinyurl.com/ca76dup

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59988

http://www.jlaforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=124840636

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1437871

========================================================
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Linda Grunthaner
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:06 AM
To: Spridget list
Subject: [Spridgets] Looking for a Motor Porter, VW dealer item ...see
image.

Hi Listers,
It's a long shot but it can't hurt to ask. This image below is called a
motor porter which is a VW dealer item. The beauty is that you have more
than one axis of movement to help get the little airhead motors into
beetles and buses  So put this image in your head and when you come across
one let me know.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/TJKustoms/IMG_2423.jpg

you may recall seeing one look like this:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/TJKustoms/untitled.jpg

or this:
http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/802792.jpg

Thanks Linda
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Bud Osbourne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 10:30:34 -0400

I wonder how many they actually sold.  I've never seen one before and I was
very involved with air-cooled VWs (and getting back into them, again, now)
back when they were new.  I know the dealers around Pittsburgh never used
them, nor did the VW dealer I worked for in Alton, IL.  Pretty neat devices,
for sure.  Still, most  VW guys (myself included) did just fine with a
conventional floor jack.  When combined with a shop lift (the dealers used a
4 post model, which was pretty much the standard for VW/Porsche service
departments), the floor jack made short work of an engine r&r for an
experienced mechanic.

Lin, you might want to keep your eyes peeled, at Import Carlisle.  You just
never know when something like that might show up.

Bud

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Linda Grunthaner
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:06 PM
To: Spridget list
Subject: [Spridgets] Looking for a Motor Porter, VW dealer item ...see
image.

Hi Listers,
It's a long shot but it can't hurt to ask. This image below is called a
motor porter which is a VW dealer item. The beauty is that you have more
than one axis of movement to help get the little airhead motors into beetles
and buses  So put this image in your head and when you come across one let
me know.

or this:

Thanks Linda
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:07:38 -0700 (PDT)

Lin,

Never saw that before, I always used an old skateboard.  Anyway, it
wasn't a dealer item, it was made by EMPI, who produced all kinds of V-dub
speed parts.  And in the world of six degrees of Sprite separation, my
googling discovered that EMPI had a tie-in with Speedwell.  This article even
mentions the Motor Porter:  http://www.kes.u-net.com/speedwell/story.html

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build:
http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo

________________________________
 From: Linda
Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
To: Spridget list <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 1:05 PM
Subject: [Spridgets] Looking for a Motor
Porter, VW dealer item ...see image.
 
Hi Listers,
It's a long shot but it
can't hurt to ask. This image below is called a
motor porter which is a VW
dealer item. The beauty is that you have more
than one axis of movement to
help get the little airhead motors into
beetles and buses  So put this image
in your head and when you come across
one let me know.
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/TJKustoms/IMG_2423.jpg

you may recall
seeing one look like this:
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/TJKustoms/untitled.jpg

or this:

Thanks Linda
------------------------

[email-masked]

Donate:

Archive:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:47:23 -0400

Wow how did I miss that on on the samba site of which I have my thread for
my bus?
Good eye,
Yes the HF motorcycle stands are similar but wow it sure would be nice to
have the tilting axis for aligning up the bolts.
Lin

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 12:51:39 -0400

Hey Bud that's a great idea as many people may not even know what it is if
they had it : ) Well hopeful wishing anyway.
So Bud are you restoring/repairing an aircooled bus or bug now? If I had a
jack like this I'm sure I can pull my engine out single handed. I don't
need to pull it it would just make it easier to swap out my heater boxes as
well as cool factor being every aircooled motorhead talks about how easy it
is with only 4 bolts holding it in place which still amazes me.
Thanks Lin

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Bud Osbourne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> beetles
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bud Osbourne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:36:05 -0400

Lin,

Suddenly, yes, I'm finishing up a long-dormant restoration project on a '73
std. beetle.  I finally accepted the reality (actually, the reality has been
crammed down my throat!) that I need to replace my Golf III daily driver.  I
decided that I'd be damned if I would ever again have a daily driver that
needed to go any farther than my own garage/workshop for ANYTHING.  For me,
that can only mean an air-cooled VW.

I had already completed the metal work (LOTS of it!) on this particular
beetle about 15+ years ago, so it's more a matter of painting and assembly.
However, I've got a lot of parts to dig out of my stash, sort, clean,
recondition/whatever before I actually assemble the car.  Still, I expect to
have the car up and running sometime in May without too much difficulty.

Among the many projects assuring my immortality (wife says "don't you DARE
die before you finish all of these projects and get them gone!") is my
387,000 mile '72 Super Beetle and a '68 VW panel van.  The '72 SB will
replace the Golf as my back-up daily driver (the '73 will replace the Golf
as my main daily driver).

If you can find one of those engine hoist thingies, it would be helpful, but
not at all essential, for r & r ing your bus motor.   A floor jack, with a
good block of wood on the pad, is really all you need.  After you've done it
a few times, it's just like riding a bicycle.  You never quite forget how.
As with most things, it's best to take your time and be very methodical
about it, so you don't end up with an engine hanging by a throttle cable of
part of the wiring harness. ;)  It really does help to have a second person,
to operate the jack while the other guides the engine/tilts the engine on
the jack as needed, but I've done it myself a whole bunch of times, over the
years and still have all of my fingers, toes, etc..and have never damaged
car or engine in the process.  I'll send you some pics of the project later
on.

Now back to "normal" subject material:  I need to schedule an appointment to
get my cats' annual booster shots 7 check-ups.  And it's time to get the
short to medium range artillery out and start shooting this year's crop of
ground hogs.

Bud

From: Linda Grunthaner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:52 PM
To: Bud Osbourne
Cc: Spridget list
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Looking for a Motor Porter, VW dealer item ...see
image.

So Bud are you restoring/repairing an aircooled bus or bug now? If I had a
jack like this I'm sure I can pull my engine out single handed. I don't need
to pull it it would just make it easier to swap out my heater boxes as well
as cool factor being every aircooled motorhead talks about how easy it is
with only 4 bolts holding it in place which still amazes me.

Thanks Lin
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:03:52 -0400

Cool my 67 bus engine is a Super Beetle engine 1600 DP, so do I have to
pull the engine in order to replace my heater boxes?

Hoping to do some maintenance on Pinky in the warm dry garage once the bus
get all her glass.

Frank would have had all this work done in one afternoon ; )
Lin

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Bud Osbourne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Lin,****
>
> Suddenly, yes, Im finishing up a long-dormant restoration project on a
> 73 std. beetle.  I finally accepted the reality (actually, the reality has
> been crammed down my throat!) that I need to replace my Golf III daily
> driver.  I decided that Id be damned if I would ever again have a daily
> driver that needed to go any farther than my own garage/workshop for
> ANYTHING.  For me, that can only mean an air-cooled VW.****
>
> beetle about 15+ years ago, so its more a matter of painting and
> assembly.  However, Ive got a lot of parts to dig out of my stash, sort,
> clean, recondition/whatever before I actually assemble the car.  Still, I
> expect to have the car up and running sometime in May without too much
> difficulty.****
>
> Among the many projects assuring my immortality (wife says dont you DARE
> die before you finish all of these projects and get them gone!) is my
> 387,000 mile 72 Super Beetle and a 68 VW panel van.  The 72 SB will
> replace the Golf as my back-up daily driver (the 73 will replace the Golf
> as my main daily driver).****
>
> ** **
>
> If you can find one of those engine hoist thingies, it would be helpful,
> but not at all essential, for r & r ing your bus motor.   A floor jack,
> with a good block of wood on the pad, is really all you need.  After youve
> done it a few times, its just like riding a bicycle.  You never quite
> forget how.  As with most things, its best to take your time and be very
> methodical about it, so you dont end up with an engine hanging by a
> throttle cable of part of the wiring harness. ;)  It really does help to
> have a second person, to operate the jack while the other guides the
> engine/tilts the engine on the jack as needed, but Ive done it myself a
> whole bunch of times, over the years and still have all of my fingers,
> toes, etcand have never damaged car or engine in the process.  Ill send
> you some pics of the project later on.****
>
> ** **
>
> Now back to normal subject material:  I need to schedule an appointment
> to get my cats annual booster shots 7 check-ups.  And its time to get the
> short to medium range artillery out and start shooting this years crop of
> ground hogs.****
>
> ** **
>
> Bud****
>
> ** **
>
> *From:* Linda Grunthaner [mailto:[email-masked]]
> *Sent:* Wednesday, March 20, 2013 12:52 PM
> *To:* Bud Osbourne
> *Cc:* Spridget list
> *Subject:* Re: [Spridgets] Looking for a Motor Porter, VW dealer item
> ...see image.****
>
> ** **
>
> they had it : ) Well hopeful wishing anyway.****
>
> is with only 4 bolts holding it in place which still amazes me.****
>
> Thanks Lin****
>
> ** **
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 09:24:52 -0400

Wow Rick very cool info, so from reading this article I do have good Karma
in my little garage with both a Spridget and a VW .....wink.

I'll be scoping out the treasures at Carlisle in May.
Thanks for that link!!!!
Lin

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM, HealeyRick <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://www.team.net/donate.html
> http://www.team.net/archive
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Bud Osbourne" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 10:42:30 -0400

Lin,

If you are into pain & suffering, I suppose you could replace the heater
boxes with the engine in place.   Long-time air-cooled VW folks tend to pull
the engine as casually as normal people say "excuse me". ;)   

Look at it this way: the exhaust flange nuts are probably pretty well rusted
to the manifold studs and if you break one of the studs, you're going to
have to pull the engine, anyway.  Also, have the heads been re-torqued since
you've had the bus?  Easier to do that with the engine out.  On my
air-cooled engines, I used to (and will, again) remove the engine every two
or three years just re-torque the heads and  to pull the cooling tin off and
make sure everything is clean under there.  It only takes a little bit of an
oil mist (and if you think Spridgets leak oil...) to land on cooling fins of
heads or cylinders or oil cooler and start accumulating fine particles of
dust, which continues to build-up until you've got some significant blockage
of cooling air.  Not a good thing!  Also, with the engine out, EVERYTHING on
the engine (except the oil drain plug and sump plate) and engine compartment
is easily accessible, so you can come up with a nice list of "might as
wells". J  Fun stuff!

You'll want to make sure all of the rubber around the perimeter of the
engine compartment and on the rear cover plate is in good shape and that
there are no significant openings in the cover plates.  This is critical to
keeping the engine temperatures down to a survivable (for the engine) level.
Also, how's the clutch looking?  Bus clutches really do take a beating, so
you don't want to start the season with a worn clutch.  Clutch release shaft
bushings OK?  Easy to access with the engine out and not that difficult to
replace.

Food for thought and, yes, you'll want to have some help, when you pull that
engine out for the first few times.

Looking longingly at the Midget, yesterday and remembering that it had
already been out for several runs on salt-free roads by this time, last year
L  Beginning to think that the run to Import Carlisle may be it's first time
out, this year.  By Import Carlisle, last year, I had already put a couple
thousand miles on it!

Bud

From: Linda Grunthaner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:04 AM
To: Bud Osbourne
Cc: Spridget list
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Looking for a Motor Porter, VW dealer item ...see
image.

Cool my 67 bus engine is a Super Beetle engine 1600 DP, so do I have to pull
the engine in order to replace my heater boxes? 

Lin
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 18:31:36 -0400

Bud,
My neighbor 2 blocks away has the same bus he has offered to give me a hand
maybe I'll do that in the fall as the engine was installed by a VW guy
before I bought it but he didn't want to do the body work. I believe the
clutch is in very good shape and some other essentials.
Lin

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 10:42 AM, Bud Osbourne <[email-masked]> wrote:

> boxes with the engine in place.   Long-time air-cooled VW folks tend to
> pull the engine as casually as normal people say excuse me. ;)   ****
>
> Look at it this way: the exhaust flange nuts are probably pretty well
> rusted to the manifold studs and if you break one of the studs, youre
> going to have to pull the engine, anyway.  Also, have the heads been
> re-torqued since youve had the bus?  Easier to do that with the engine
> out.  On my air-cooled engines, I used to (and will, again) remove the
> engine every two or three years just re-torque the heads and  to pull the
> cooling tin off and make sure everything is clean under there.  It only
> takes a little bit of an oil mist (and if you think Spridgets leak oil)
> to land on cooling fins of heads or cylinders or oil cooler and start
> accumulating fine particles of dust, which continues to build-up until
> youve got some significant blockage of cooling air.  Not a good thing!
> Also, with the engine out, EVERYTHING on the engine (except the oil drain
> plug and sump plate) and engine compartment is easily accessible, so you
> can come up with a nice list of might as wells. J  Fun stuff!****
>
> Youll want to make sure all of the rubber around the perimeter of the
> keeping the engine temperatures down to a survivable (for the engine)
> level.  Also, hows the clutch looking?  Bus clutches really do take a
> beating, so you dont want to start the season with a worn clutch.  Clutch
> release shaft bushings OK?  Easy to access with the engine out and not that
> difficult to replace.****
>
> Food for thought and, yes, youll want to have some help, when you pull
> that engine out for the first few times.****
>
> ** **
>
> already been out for several runs on salt-free roads by this time, last
> year L  Beginning to think that the run to Import Carlisle may be its
> first time out, this year.  By Import Carlisle, last year, I had already
> put a couple thousand miles on it!****
>
> ** **
>
> Bud****
>
> *Sent:* Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:04 AM
>
> *To:* Bud Osbourne
> *Cc:* Spridget list
> pull the engine in order to replace my heater boxes? ****
>
> ** **
>
> get all her glass. ****
> Frank would have had all this work done in one afternoon ; )****
>
> Lin****
>
> ** **
------------------------

[email-masked]