Subject: [Spridgets] Hydraulic fluid and asphalt - no LBC

From: Bob Kitterer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 14:35:07 -0800

List

Help needed - Last Thursday the local trash truck had a hydraulic line burst
dumping gallons of fluid on the asphalt street.  We are trying to determine
what problems, if any, we should be concerned about.  This is a private street
an the upkeep and repairs comes out of our pockets.  The street is in
excellent condition.

The spill occurred about 8:00 a.m. and with in a couple of hours a hazmat
certified crew was out putting something on the spill.  The next afternoon
they swept that material up and started steam cleaning the asphalt.  However
it started to rain and between their fluid recovery and the addition of the
rain water their recovery tank filled up so they had to stop with only a 1/3
of the job done.  They do not work on weekends so it was Monday before they
finished steam cleaning the asphalt.

We are getting different answers from different people as to the short and
long term impact of the hydraulic fluid and the asphalt.  So I would
appreciate any information that will helps us deal with this situation.

TIA

Bob and Dolores

1960 Austin Healey Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)
1966 Austin Healey Sprite Mk III (Trevor) - still in boxes
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 17:55:12 -0500

Hydraulic fluid will soften the tar.  I doubt if steam cleaning will get it
all.  I would reseal the area at a minimum.

Sent from my keyboard

On Feb 16, 2013, at 5:35 PM, Bob Kitterer <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "GUY DAY" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 23:20:27 -0000

I understand the type of hydraulic fluid and asphalt can make a difference 
but generally it will dissolve the 'binder' or compound used to hold the 
stone chips in the road.  There are many types and grades of asphalt and 
some are more resistant than others.
Just like brake fluid on paintwork IMHO the only way to get rid of the 
problem is remove the paint (asphalt) and start from fresh.  If this is not 
done I believe you will have problems year after year after year.  It will 
always degrade and cause problems.
Cure?  Dig out the affected area plus around 1 ft on the non drainage sides 
and 3 feet on the drainage side and when I say 'dig out' this includes the 
base layers and then you can re-lay.
Look up asphalt MANUFACTURERs, not the guys who lay it, and refer to them. 
See if they have a guy who can come out and check on the grade of asphalt on 
your road and seek his advice.  Try to get some of the fluid which spilt and 
mix a chunk of your road into it and see if it does dissolve.  It could be a 
type that doesn't and I could have worried you without reason!
Around 20 years ago over here in the UK I reported on an incident where this 
same thing happened and a car slid into a child on the surface of the 
asphalt - which had turned to gravel around 12 months later.  They sued the 
local authority (responsible for road maintenance) who in turn sued the 
haulage company whose vehicle it was that caused the problem.  Their agreed 
solution was to dig out the asphalt over an area around 75 sq yd and 
concrete it.  A rather expensive leak of hydraulic fluid.
Last year I had builders in and the JCB they used leaked hydraulic fluid 
onto the asphalt drive at the side of my house, now the snows have gone I 
have seen that is corroding away.  The leak was just a 'couple' of drips 
after they used it and they placed a sheet of plywood down overnight to 
absorb them but....   It will be fun later this year when I speak with them 
about it.  They already know I'm not best pleased as the area is stained and 
the gravel is becoming loose.
I would NOT trust the clean-up squad or trash truck people to provide honest 
answers, it is in their interest to provide placebo answers and hope that 5 
years on your will have forgotten what the problem was or it will be too 
late to sue.

Guy R Day

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bob Kitterer" <[email-masked]>
To: "Spridgets" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:35 PM
Subject: [Spridgets] Hydraulic fluid and asphalt - no LBC

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
> 

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2899 / Virus Database: 2639/6105 - Release Date: 02/15/13
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Dave Yealy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 19:47:21 -0500

Do like they do with Nascar tracks. Spread powdered TIDE and brush in 
with a broom let is sit for a short while and hose it off. The TIDE 
lifts the "dirt" out of the track.

My  2 cents
Dave

At 05:35 PM 2/16/2013, you wrote:
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
>
>
>
>-----
>Version: 2013.0.2899 / Virus Database: 2639/6101 - Release Date: 02/13/13
------------------------

[email-masked]