Subject: [Spridgets] as long as the list is slow

From: "alan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:05:13 -0500

As long as the list is a bit slow
Here in Rhode Island we are hunkering down for what maybe up to 30b of snow
without drifting
Nboreaster about to slam New England and the east coast from NJ up thru
Maine
Wind gusts might reach 65 b 70 MPH with heavy drifting expected
Worst to arrive after dark and overnite
Have the coal stove cranking and several good books on standby along with my
recently retired wife
Alan
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Gerard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 11:09:24 -0800

Hi Jim,

I didn't know you were a home brewer:-) My son, who you met at LotO, is now a
professional chef and we've been making home-brew for a couple years now.
Except for a few microbrews, there little "off the shelf stuff" we like
anymore. Maybe you can share a couple recipes? :-)

Cheers!

Gerard

On Feb 8, 2013, at 11:00 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:59:25 -0600
> From: Jim Johnson <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] as long as the list is slow
> Message-ID:
> 	<CAJgjnuofPbSj-Duatao=[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Now if you fellows were home brewers you'd have some beer in your constant
> 42F kegerator...
>
> Cheers!!
> Jim - 5 gals of my Double IPA and 5 gals of my Snake Snot Stout in the
> cooler with 5 gals of Amber Ale in the fermentor.
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Rick Bastedo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 11:17:01 -0800

I started homebrewing in 1978.
Funny when I look back on it, used an open top 5 gallon crock with malt and
hops and water and yeast.
Laid a plastic cover over it just to keep most of the extraneous "stuff"
out.
That was a great top fermenting lager as I remember it.
Now I might not even want to try it but back then it was ambrosia.

I recently discovered I have a great intolerance to gluten, therefore beer.
I was pretty bummed out about this until just recently when I finally
thought "what about hard cider?".
I have the kegs and the fridge and the CO2 with the regulators and I'm just
so completely set up for this.
So, not knowing any better (sometimes that is a good thing) I went to the
store and bought 5 gallons of Tree Top apple juice and four or five frozen
concentrated cans of Tree Top.
I chose Tree Top because of the commercially available apple juices out
there they are the only ones I could find that display right on the front
"Made only from apples grown in the USA".
So I went to my nearby wine & beer making shop and bought a new airlock and
rubber stopper (with the hole in it for the airlock) and a package of
Wyeast Cider Yeast.
Went home, activated the yeast and put all the juices in the carboy.
Once the yeast pouch was getting nice and puffy I opened it up and pitched
it in.
Fermentation began rapidly, and went on for a week.
I racked it out into a clean carboy (I own several) and let it run for
another week.
By the end of the 2nd week it was clearing pretty nicely so I racked it
into a keg.
Hooked up the CO2, gave it some shakes and let it sit a few days.
This was at Christmas time, so I had nice bubbly hard cider for my guests
who came for Christmas dinner.
That was so good I decided to do it again.
Like any good brewer worth his salt I save packets of yeast from a good
batch, the Wyeast people say this will work fine up through about 7
generations.
The second batch came out even better than the first.

I know it would be better if I had a cider press and juiced my own apples
yada yada.
You can't argue with results however, and this stuff was great!

Ok, there you go - hope all you guys and gals hunkered down for the storm
are well stocked and stay warm and dry.

Rick Bastedo

******************************************
From: Jim Johnson <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] as long as the list is slow

Cheers!!

[email-masked]

---

From: "GUY DAY" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 00:22:01 -0000

My in-laws used to live in Devon (UK) where they were making cider a couple 
of weeks before Bodicea or Boudicca (Buddug if you are Welsh) learnt to 
drive her chariot.  I was down with them one summer a good few years ago 
when we visited one of the old time farmers who used to make his own cider. 
Cloudy, a wisp of froth round the edges of the mug and served at whatever 
the outside temperature was.  Just a gill of that sent me walking in spirals 
and with a tongue thickening between my lips I asked how he made it.
"Get the windfalls", came the reply, "put them in a sack (he was talking of 
a large hessian or gunny sack) and hang then up from the rafters in the 
cellar.  When they've been there for a week or so put a half leg of pork in 
the middle of them and then a funnel underneath to drain into the barrel. 
Leave it and come late on in the New Year around Gwenton you'll have a brew 
to put hairs on your chest", he said, looking lustily down my wife's 
stretched low neck tee-shirt.
I've heard of this way of making cider from a couple of sources although the 
pork  was now beef and could well have been lamb and one year thought I 
would have a go.  I'd got a sack full of apples from this chap and was 
driving home from Devon in a hired panel van with a roller shutter door.  On 
the way back the catch came loose, the door vibrated open and the sack of 
apples slumped onto the van floor.   So if any-one found a trail of squashed 
apples along the M5 northbound leading onto the M6 and the M62 that was 
going to be my home brewed cider.

I never did go back for more.

Good fortune to you all,

Guy R Day

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Rick Bastedo"
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2013 7:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] as long as the list is slow

> From: Jim Johnson <>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage: 
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
> 

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.2897 / Virus Database: 2639/6088 - Release Date: 02/07/13
------------------------

[email-masked]