Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fuses

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 11:15:58 -0800 (PST)

All true - My fuses even say 36AMP in the metal rim.
The paper in side with the filament says 17 amp.
I noticed mosss fuses do not have the paper only 35amp.
They claim there correct.
 
Vigil.

--- On Thu, 2/14/13, John Farley <[email-masked]> wrote:

From: John Farley <[email-masked]>
Subject: [Spridgets] Fuses
To: "Mailing List Spridgets" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, February 14, 2013, 7:24 AM

Somebody just told me that he ran across information that UK (Lucas) and
USA (BUSS) fuses are *not* interchangeable.This is because they use
different rating methods.  The UK, Lucas fuses are rated for the surge
(peak) current that will cause the fuse to blow NOW.  The USA, BUSS fuses
are rated for the current they carry continuously.  This info. went on to
say that you should never install BUSS AGC 35 amp fuses to replace Lucas 35
amp fuses in vintage Britcars because the wiring will melt before the fuse
blows.

It said that the UK (Lucas) 35 amp fuses are actually rated at 17 amps
"continuous" / 35 amps "surge".  If you substitute a USA (BUSS) fuse, one
that is rated 17 amps, is roughly equivalent.  You should also only use
BUSS AGC fuses that have a 32V rating (not 250V).

Has anybody else heard about this?  It it accurate?

Thanks,  John
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive