Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Goods Books for a Winter's Storm

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 16:25:25 -0800 (PST)

851 pp?  Sometimes, Clancy could spare me some details.  Why does his stuff
have to be like:

"The sniper cradled his Remington MSR chambered in 
.338
Lapua Magnum,  He loaded the 14.93 mm diameter and 93.5 mm long cartridge 
manufactured in Lapua, Finland which is located next to the Lapua River in the
province of Western Finland and is part of the Southern Ostrobothnia region.
The town has a population of 14,612 (31 December 2012) and covers an area of
750.77 square kilometres (289.87 sq mi) of which 13.67 km2 (5.28 sq mi) is
water. The population density is 19.82 inhabitants per square kilometre
(51.3 /sq mi)"

You get the idea.  OTOH, maybe I'm just mad at him for the day
I was flying Boston to Phoenix and grabbed a Clancy book at the airport
bookstore for the flight.  About 20 pages in, I realized I had already read
it.  It was a very long flight.

Rick

"Madman in a death machine"
Follow
My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
________________________________
 From: James Gruber <[email-masked]>
To: Spridgets Digest <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Saturday, February 9,
2013 2:55 PM
Subject: [Spridgets] Goods Books for a Winter's Storm
 
Hey the
new Tom Clancy, Threat Vector,  is indeed a page turner. 851 to be
precise.
The guy continues to stay on top of his game and stuff on cyber
warfare seems
really close to reality.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: HealeyRick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 16:41:59 -0800 (PST)

851 pp?  Sometimes, Clancy could spare me some details.  Why does his
stuff have to be like:

"The sniper cradled his Remington MSR chambered in
.338 Lapua Magnum,  He loaded the 14.93 mm diameter and 93.5 mm long
cartridge  manufactured in Lapua, Finland which is located next to the Lapua
River in the province of Western Finland and is part of the Southern
Ostrobothnia region. The town has a population of 14,612 (31 December 2012)
and covers an area of 750.77 square kilometres (289.87 sq mi) of which
13.67 km2 (5.28 sq mi) is water. The population density is 19.82 inhabitants
per square kilometre (51.3 /sq mi)"

You get the idea.  OTOH, maybe I'm just
mad at him for the day I was flying Boston to Phoenix and grabbed a Clancy
book at the airport bookstore for the flight.  About 20 pages in, I realized I
had already read it.  It was a very long flight.

Rick

"Madman in a death
machine"
Follow My Nasty Boy Build:  http://tinyurl.com/yj52fwo
 
Hey the

[email-masked]

---

From: dwoerpel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:59:36 -0600

ROTFLMAO!!  This has happened to me several times and you are dead on 
with his Michener/Melville-esque "attention to detail".
What ever happened to, "It was a dark and stormy night...."?  Is Clancy 
writing his own stuff again or is he franchised out?
He needs some LBC's incorporated into the plot.  I can visualize the words:

In his vain attempt to catch the green eyed, 31 year old, 6'8", blond 
killer, Jack Ryan desperately downshifts his Bugeye Sprite with the twin 
turbo 948cc, 210 bhp motor protesting at 8000 rpms from 2nd gear to 1st, 
forgetting the smooth case transmission, # 22493, is without synchromesh 
on its 3.627:1 first gear....... and you may continue the description of 
the consequences of that action in your minds eye.

Boy this takes up a lot of bandwidth!  Don't you wish everyone wrote 
this way Mark?

We now return you to your regularly schedule event.

DW

------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Tim Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:17:57 -0500

Dave,
You should submit your prose to http://www.bulwer-lytton.com/.

Of course we hold near and dear the 2005 winner of this contest with 
the prose. . .

As he stared at her ample bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Stromberg 
carburetors in his vintage Triumph Spitfire, highly functional yet 
pleasingly formed, perched prominently on top of the intake manifold, 
aching for experienced hands, the small knurled caps of the oil 
dampeners begging to be inspected and adjusted as described in 
chapter seven of the shop manual.

The winner of this year's 23rd annual challenge, by Dan McKay, a 
43-year-old quantitative analyst with Microsoft Great Plains, in 
Fargo, North Dakota, certainly shows such a paucity of aestheticism, 
though no lack of imagination:

At 10:59 AM 2/13/2013, dwoerpel wrote:
>ROTFLMAO!!  This has happened to me several times and you are dead 
>on with his Michener/Melville-esque "attention to detail".
>What ever happened to, "It was a dark and stormy night...."?  Is 
>Clancy writing his own stuff again or is he franchised out?
>In his vain attempt to catch the green eyed, 31 year old, 6'8", 
>blond killer, Jack Ryan desperately downshifts his Bugeye Sprite 
>with the twin turbo 948cc, 210 bhp motor protesting at 8000 rpms 
>from 2nd gear to 1st, forgetting the smooth case transmission, # 
>22493, is without synchromesh on its 3.627:1 first gear....... and 
>you may continue the description of the consequences of that action 
>in your minds eye.
>
>Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
>Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
>Unsubscribe/Manage: 
>http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]

Tim Collins
------------------------

[email-masked]