Subject: [Spridgets] Fuses

From: John Farley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:24:33 -0500

Somebody just told me that he ran across information that UK (Lucas) and
USA (BUSS) fuses are *not* interchangeable.This is because they use
different rating methods.  The UK, Lucas fuses are rated for the surge
(peak) current that will cause the fuse to blow NOW.  The USA, BUSS fuses
are rated for the current they carry continuously.  This info. went on to
say that you should never install BUSS AGC 35 amp fuses to replace Lucas 35
amp fuses in vintage Britcars because the wiring will melt before the fuse
blows.

It said that the UK (Lucas) 35 amp fuses are actually rated at 17 amps
"continuous" / 35 amps "surge".  If you substitute a USA (BUSS) fuse, one
that is rated 17 amps, is roughly equivalent.  You should also only use
BUSS AGC fuses that have a 32V rating (not 250V).

Has anybody else heard about this?  It it accurate?

Thanks,  John
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive