Subject: [Spridgets] Light for oil and temp gauge

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 00:54:28 +0000 (UTC)

Years ago the first time I brought my barely running 74 midget to Frank he
replaced my stock '74 dual oil and water gauge wiht another one.B  But the
other one, he told m e, had a different lighting system and so my
stockB lights wouldn't work.B  At that time I didn't care he took what was a
very scary driving car and turned it into my ever present perma- shit eatin-
grin application device.B 

But now some 5? years later I would like to see what that gauge says at night
or at least eliminate the very noticible dark spot on my dash.

So my question is what do you think he put in there and how can i get it to
light up?

Thanks ryan

and yes I know I could just buy from someone on the list another gauge but the
fear of buying one that has had the magic fluid l eaked out is a concern.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 20:34:26 -0500

Ryan, Assuming the Prince of Darkness is not holding some personal vendetta
against you,
then you should be able to get some kind of light going inside that guage.

At the very least you could pull the gauge and drill a small hole in the
back sufficient for a white LED
with a current limiting resistor (about 500 ohms) in series with it. 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2013 7:54 PM
To: EasternOshitGroup; spridgets
Subject: [Spridgets] Light for oil and temp gauge

Years ago the first time I brought my barely running 74 midget to Frank he
replaced my stock '74 dual oil and water gauge wiht another one.B  But the
other one, he told m e, had a different lighting system and so my stockB
lights wouldn't work.B  At that time I didn't care he took what was a very
scary driving car and turned it into my ever present perma- shit eatin- grin
application device.B 

But now some 5? years later I would like to see what that gauge says at
night or at least eliminate the very noticible dark spot on my dash.

Thanks ryan
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Swanson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 20:24:35 -0500

Ryan,
Assuming your replacement gauge is a Smith's, then I think there are two
different ways they are lit:

1) External Bulb - Slots around the O.D. of the case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290851529420

2) Internal Bulb - Bulb inserted into the rear of the gauge:

http://0.tqn.com/w/experts/MG-Car-Repair-3786/2011/04/Smiths-Dual-Gauge.jpg

If you shine a flashlight up under your dash and the gauge lights then it is
probably the external bulb type.

Depending which type you have I'm sure someone on the board can probably fix
you up with the proper bulb holder.

-----Original Message-----

Years ago the first time I brought my barely running 74 midget to Frank he
replaced my stock '74 dual oil and water gauge wiht another one.  But the
other one, he told m e, had a different lighting system and so my
stock lights wouldn't work.  At that time I didn't care he took what was a
very scary driving car and turned it into my ever present perma- shit eatin-
grin application device.

night

Thanks ryan

and yes I know I could just buy from someone on the list another gauge but
the
fear of buying one that has had the magic fluid l eaked out is a concern.
------------------------
------------------------

[email-masked]