Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Oil leak - crankcase ventilation?

From: Gerard <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 11:34:58 -0800

Since we're on the subject. I'll just add a couple things.

I recently heard from someone who had a terrible rear seal oil leak. When the
engine was removed, it turned out that whoever assembled the engine, didn't
install the oil pump cover. I know

 well while not a high probability, but it's a possibility.

Other factor could be that the cast rear plates can fracture through the crank
and oil pump cover opening, and this will cause a serious leak also. It's also
possible that the oil pump cover is not well sealed on both sides. When it
leaks that much oil, these are things to look at carefully as possibilities.

it could also be a damaged are poorly installed half moon seal. I find a lot
of people do not understand how that scroll seal is supposed to function and
don't give this the attention required.

There are cases when nothing will cure it short of a complete teardown and
machining, but I have another solution. I make a rear lip seal conversion that
actually works. This is NOT the same one that some may have seen before.  I
have a lot of people who have had a lot of success with this conversion kit.
It fits with or without the 5 speed kit.

Gerard

On Jan 25, 2013, at 11:00 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 09:38:05 -0500
> From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
> To: Ron Soave <[email-masked]>
> Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Oil leak - crankcase ventilation?
> Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Ron,
>
> Read Matt's post more closely.  He says "It doesn't seem to leak when the
car
> is not running".
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:44:51 -0500 (EST)

When I bought my Bugeye many years ago, it was understood that the car was
quite a leaker. The price was discounted because of it. When I took delivery
of it, I had a friend follow me home down the Interstate, driving one of my
cars. At one point during the trip he pulled up next to me and signaled me to
pull over. At that exact moment I heard what sounded like a clattering oil
pump and/or rod and main bearings. I glanced down at the oil pressure gauge
and it was approaching zero. Evidently I was blowing oil all over the
windshield of the my own car being driven behind me. I shut the Bugeye down
immediately and coasted to a stop on the shoulder. I popped the bonnet and
checked the dip stick, which was dry. I sent my friend down the road to
purchase a few quarts of oil. While I waited on the side of the Interstate, I
sat there staring at the engine and I noticed that some dumb-ass previous
owner or mechanic had installed the front tappet chest cover upside down, and
had connected the breather tube on the cover directly to the gooseneck
breather connection on the valve cover. Basically there was NO breathing going
on, except out the rear seal. I cut the hose loose right then and there, and
after filling it with 3.5 quarts of oil, I drove home the rest of the way with
no problems. The car has never leaked a drop since. I did however, end up
changing the rod bearings before recently ditching the 948.

Howard Collins
'60 AH Bugeye Sprite
'68 Austin Mini

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard <[email-masked]>
To: spridgets <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri, Jan 25, 2013 2:35 pm
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Oil leak - crankcase ventilation?

Since we're on the subject. I'll just add a couple things.
I recently heard from someone who had a terrible rear seal oil leak. When the
ngine was removed, it turned out that whoever assembled the engine, didn't
nstall the oil pump cover. I know
 well while not a high probability, but it's a possibility.
Other factor could be that the cast rear plates can fracture through the
crank
nd oil pump cover opening, and this will cause a serious leak also. It's also
ossible that the oil pump cover is not well sealed on both sides. When it
eaks that much oil, these are things to look at carefully as possibilities.
it could also be a damaged are poorly installed half moon seal. I find a lot
f people do not understand how that scroll seal is supposed to function and
on't give this the attention required.
There are cases when nothing will cure it short of a complete teardown and
achining, but I have another solution. I make a rear lip seal conversion that
ctually works. This is NOT the same one that some may have seen before.  I
ave a lot of people who have had a lot of success with this conversion kit.
t fits with or without the 5 speed kit.
Gerard

 Ron,

 Read Matt's post more closely.  He says "It doesn't seem to leak when the
ar
 is not running".
-----------------------
[email-masked]
uggested annual donation: $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
orums: http://www.team.net/forums
nsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Ron Soave <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2013 13:03:13 -0800 (PST)

Hey Gerard,
Long time :)..

Continue about the below, please!
 
I make a rear
lip seal conversion that
>actually works. 
------------------------

[email-masked]