Subject: [Spridgets] Trunnion bolt - 2A 4028 - NEW MANUFACTURE in stainless steel / Titanium

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 16:31:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi List,

Two years on from this e-mail 'thread' (could be a chain?) and I've just
junked another useless trunnion bolt that cost me #5 from one of the usual
suspects.  I've junked so many now - all new ones not original ones I could
have bought the titanium bolt and still been quids in.

So with a cost likely to be between #25 and #30 EACH bolt + shipping I'm
going to have a very small batch made.  From what I remember from the last
time I got quotes for this it needed about 4 times as many bolts as there was
 interest for to get the price any lower.

For simplicity I'm only going to have the bolts made in the superior grade
of stainless (not the choice of 2 grades there was originally) and titanium
 which only worked out something like #4 or so more than the stainless.
I'm  undecided on the split pin hole as it added about #2+ to the price.  I do
 intend for the wrenching head to be 12 point and probably 7/16 wrenching
like  the ARP stainless stuff is.

So e-mail if you are very interested now, specifying stainless or titanium
and how many bolts you want and eventually I'll get back to you.

Regards

Weslake-Monza 1330

In a message dated 23/12/2009 14:45:03 Coordinated Universal Time,
[email-masked] writes:

Hi List,  there has been some interest in this but not yet enough for an
economic batch.  I've checked the material specs and they exceed  class 8.8

and certainly exceed the stuff currently available.   I'll be getting an
original bolt for testing soon.

So any  more takers for these stainless steel bolts or even Ti  ?

Regards

Daniel

In a message dated 17/12/2009 23:49:36  GMT Standard Time,  weslakem
[email-masked] writes:

Hi   List,

Don't know about your side of the pond but in the UK the  trunnion  bolt's
Iv'e been able to buy are inferior to the original  bolts.  I've  usually
discovered this after stripping the thread  with a calibrated torque
wrench
on
the correct size  socket.

I've been in contact with a bolt  manufacture who can make  a similar bolt
in
a high grade of stainless  steel.  The idea  being they won't corrode into
the metalastik bushings  and thus have  to be hammered and destroyed.

All you engineer types can  be  supplied with details of the different
grades
of stainless steel on   offer if you want.  However, I'm confident the
stainless bolt will  be  far stronger in every respect than the current
offering
from  the usual  suspects.  I also plan to get an original bolt, even  a
damaged one so  that it can be tested in comparasion to the current
offering
and
the  stainless bolt.

What I need to know is  what the level of interest is  for this by number of
bolts so I can  get a feel for the volume and thus  price.  I also need to
know  if you'd be willing to pay an extra #1 for  the superior grade  of
stainless  and whether you want to probably save  #2 by not  having the
hole
for
the
split  pin on account of using a   nylock rather than castellated nut.
Final
price  will be  more  than what I've been paying over here (I think I paid
#6+
a   bolt.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive