Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Rally Stopwatches

From: "Jim Seippel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:04:55 -0600

They were the old mechanical type stopwatches. They carried three
stopwatches. When you depressed the bar, one was stopped (to record the
current lap time), one was started for the next lap, and one was reset. It
made it really easy to record every lap. 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Sunday, December 30, 2012 7:26 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Rally Stopwatches

The boards with 3 watches were for Motorsport and often had a bar integral
to the board that allowed all the watches to be started or stopped at once.
For example to record every lap time you'd need a minimum of 2  watches.
 
Weslake-Monza 1330
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 21:32:56 -0500

Thanks all to those who responded.

BTW, It is amazing how much these rally watchs sets sell for.

Original vintage rally watch sets go for big bucks.  Understandably so,
they are pieces of racing heritage.

There is also an outfit making them new but they want big bucks as well.

Finally you can go on ebay and try to cobble together a stopwatch and pocket
watch combo yourself.  This will still cost you big bucks.  Seems there
are avid swiss stopwatch collectors who have an interest outside of rally 
usage.

I thought it would be a cool accessory to have on my dash.  But I think I
might have to settle for some surplus Russian watches, or, god forbid, 
something from China.  
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Allen Hefner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 10:26:42 -0500

Yes, they do sell for a lot. In 1968-69 I bought a Heuer wristwatch since I
was getting into roadrally back then. It was a Carrera model with three
small dials. One was the second hand for the watch, the other two measured
the stopwatch to 12 hours. I also ordered it with the decimal minute dial
which was a nice touch for rallyes.

I paid about $170 for the watch with a stainless steel case and a leather
band. Replacement leather bands alone now sell for about $300!

After years of use it started acting up. I stuck it in a drawer and just
about forgot I had it. I moved into disposable watches like Timex.

Back in 2009 I decided to sell the Heuer on eBay. It actually still worked,
but the crystal was cracked and it certainly needed a good cleaning. I took
it to a jewelry store and was told it would be $600 to $800 to restore the
watch. That prompted me to sell it. (I could buy a car for that!)

The bidding was heavy, and I got over $600 for the watch that needed at
least that much in repairs. I do miss it, but financially I couldn't afford
to keep it.

 Allen Hefner
Norristown, PA

*Current:*
2006 Chebbie
*Former:*
1963 Sunbeam Alpine Series III
1967 Triumph TR4A IRS
1964 VW Type I
1967 VW Type II
1967 Rover 2000TC
1977 MG Midget

------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Dean Hedin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 23:53:06 -0500

Yeap, this is the kind of prices I'm talking about...
http://tinyurl.com/az3ze2z

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Allen Hefner
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2013 10:27 AM
To: Spridgets list
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Rally Stopwatches

Yes, they do sell for a lot.
 Allen Hefner
Norristown, PA
------------------------

[email-masked]