Subject: [Spridgets] : 5 Speed

From: Howard Collins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 23:02:09 -0500

> I would like to hear about a few different sources for Datsun 210 5-speed
conversion kits, including the tranny. Where should I look, who should I
contact?
> Thank you,
> Howard Collins
> '60 AH Bugeye Sprite
> '68 Austin Mini
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Rick Fisk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 23:37:57 -0500

Gerard's Garage is the best i my opinion.

http://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/5speedKit.htm

Sent from my keyboard

On Jan 16, 2013, at 11:02 PM, Howard Collins <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Forums: http://www.team.net/forums
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Hal Faulkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:21:45 -0800

I believe that Bill M, a lister from the NW, purchased Paul A's remaining
stock and plans, etc. and is continuing to provide those kits.
Gerard C, also a lister, has a nice web page ( linked to in Rick's post)
and sells what appears to be a beautifully made kit.
I cannot speak directly of any of the currently available kits; however, I
have one of the last of Paul A's kits and can address some small issues
with it.
First, I went with a gear reduction starter, a bit pricey but it makes for
less modification to the bell housing.  I would do it again.
I'm using a 1275 slave cylinder along with a tandem master re-sleeved to
3/4" by Sierra and their adjustable pushrod (or did I get that from Paul?)
The only problem seems to be clearance between the slave cylinder and the
frame.  I think Gerard has a solution for this, so you should talk to him.
Check carefully before you drop the engine and transmission in for good.
My local guy would have been happy to sell me a really trick slave cylinder
that fits concentric with the shaft inside the bell housing.  A short piece
of hydraulic hose can provide you with a remote bleeder which will be very
convenient at those times you need to bleed the line.
Clearance at the U-joint at the front end of the drive shaft, may also be a
challenge.  This has been discussed on the list.
With everything in place, I don't have sufficient clearance between the
pulley and the transverse frame rail to install a new fan belt.  This may
be related to having a 1275 in a bugeye, and using a Mini-Cooper S style
harmonic damper.  It may or may not have anything to do with the 5-speed
conversion.  It will not be fun to change the fan belt!
I would definitely recommend having your flywheel converted to use the
Datsun clutch, if only for availability of spares.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Rick Fisk <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 09:45:48 -0600 a=zZKT3jqqOw0A:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10 a=V6f-GIhDAAAA:8 a=bIHosy_XsRAA:10 a=Mym2k5EQBgtjuTgHw30A:9 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10 a=ioEdG6JV2FXgDYO15tK7Tw==:117 reip=0.000, cl=1, cld=1, fgs=0

I had a TR4 that had a Tilton hydraulic throw out bearing as described below 
that worked very well, the car had a Toyota 5 speed.  I looked for one for 
my 1275/Datsun 5 speed and couldn't find one for that application.  Hal, do 
you have any more info?

Mark
Nashville

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Hal Faulkner"

"My local guy would have been happy to sell me a really trick slave cylinder
that fits concentric with the shaft inside the bell housing.  A short piece
of hydraulic hose can provide you with a remote bleeder which will be very
convenient at those times you need to bleed the line."
------------------------

[email-masked]