Subject: Re: [Spridgets] : 5 Speed

From: Gerard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:26:01 -0800

Rick, thank you for the link and your generous remarks. I tend to agree with
your opinion  :-)

Hal,

My kit is a similar design to The kit you have (Morriservice), but with a
number of improvements over the original. I also recommend and supply the gear
reduction starters.

The impetus for the 3/4" MC for disc brake conversion in early Spridgets was
from me back around 2007, and developed in concert with Joe at Sierra. Paul
never offered those. If you check the Sierra Specialty web site, you'll see
Joe makes a point of mentioning the development. However, Joe retired on
December 31st, so these master cylinders will now only be available through me
from now on. Lots of info here:

http://www.gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tech/DbrakeUg.htm

The clutch slave issue is a hard one to get around, given the physical
limitations, but there are solutions. I have also addressed the driveshaft
yoke issue with a simple solution, as well as an alternate solution to the
heater plenum modification. Many people peter not to modify the original sheet
metal. My kit comes with instructions and templates on how to avoid it.

Overall, I have made enormous improvements in quality, not limited  to, but
especially with the CNC parts. Jeff Schlemmer, who removed his Rivergate in
favor of my adapter plate and seal kit, gives a glowing recommendation on the
MG Experience Forum. For those of you that know Jeff, you know he's super
particular about fit and tolerances.

Since your engine position is determined by the front motor mounts, your issue
with the pulley has no bearing on the kit installed. The clearance is a common
issue with a 1275 and the thicker damper pulley.

Cheers!

Gerard

On Jan 17, 2013, at 11:00 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 21:21:45 -0800
> From: Hal Faulkner <[email-masked]>
> To: Spridgets <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Spridgets] : 5 Speed
> Message-ID:
> 	<[email-masked]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I believe that Bill M, a lister from the NW, purchased Paul A's remaining
> stock and plans, etc. and is continuing to provide those kits.
> Gerard C, also a lister, has a nice web page ( linked to in Rick's post)
> and sells what appears to be a beautifully made kit.
> I cannot speak directly of any of the currently available kits; however, I
> have one of the last of Paul A's kits and can address some small issues
> with it.
> First, I went with a gear reduction starter, a bit pricey but it makes for
> less modification to the bell housing.  I would do it again.
> I'm using a 1275 slave cylinder along with a tandem master re-sleeved to
> 3/4" by Sierra and their adjustable pushrod (or did I get that from Paul?)
> The only problem seems to be clearance between the slave cylinder and the
> frame.  I think Gerard has a solution for this, so you should talk to him.
> Check carefully before you drop the engine and transmission in for good.
> My local guy would have been happy to sell me a really trick slave cylinder
> that fits concentric with the shaft inside the bell housing.  A short piece
> of hydraulic hose can provide you with a remote bleeder which will be very
> convenient at those times you need to bleed the line.
> Clearance at the U-joint at the front end of the drive shaft, may also be a
> challenge.  This has been discussed on the list.
> With everything in place, I don't have sufficient clearance between the
> pulley and the transverse frame rail to install a new fan belt.  This may
> be related to having a 1275 in a bugeye, and using a Mini-Cooper S style
> harmonic damper.  It may or may not have anything to do with the 5-speed
> conversion.  It will not be fun to change the fan belt!
> I would definitely recommend having your flywheel converted to use the
> Datsun clutch, if only for availability of spares.
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Hal Faulkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 20:32:31 -0800

Mark,
I don't have any information at this time.  But tomorrow is my day off and
I will head over and talk to Mike and see if the parts in question are
still available and if so the cost.
Hal
------------------------

[email-masked]