Subject: [Spridgets] Jawhorse or Workmate?

From: Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 06:33:04 -0500

List,
I've been looking for a portable workbench setup for a while now so I can
do some grinding, welding and other fabrication work on my car parts and
wanted to know what the list is using. Initially I wanted a Workmate by
Black & Decker because it sounds like what I need, a portable workbench I
can fold up stick in the garage or shed and take it out on the driveway or
lawn to do some work but the plastic crank handles just floored my
perception of the product. I was so disappointed to see any plastic
altogether.

I thought maybe the first generation Workmate was all metal parts but I
can't confirm that. I do know the first gen was cast iron but nobody on
craigslist is will to mail it to me even if I paid extra and of course
shipping. So below is a link for Popular Mechanics article Jawhorse or
Workmate so now I'm thinking of the Jawhorse but is their anything else?
What are you guys using? Or maybe I should just make something? I must have
something foldable for my small storage availability.

Thanks,
Lin

*popular mechanics link*
*http://tinyurl.com/attx2dw
*
*
*
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

---

From: Tncarnut1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 07:46:44 -0500

Linda, I bought my workmate maybe 20 years ago and love it. In all this time, the only problem it has developed is that one of the four spring clip thingys that hold the legs together when it is folded has lost its grip. So that one leg will kind of dangle loose a bit while folded. This does not in any way hamper the functionality while set up & being used, so haven't really tried to address the issue. My biggest regret is that I did not buy two of them when I had the chance. (bought it at a B&D overstock sale in the parking lot of their facility in Nashville)B 

If the original ones have cast iron in them, mine is apparently a model from a later generation because it is all steel and wood. The only plastic is on the crank handles, the press-in wedges that hold bits on the table, and the spring clips that hold the legs folded when it is collapsed. (one of which is broken as previously described)
- David

>From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Linda Grunthaner <[email-masked]> wrote:

List,

Thanks,
Lin

*popular mechanics link*

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

---

From: "Steve Garrett" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 08:24:03 -0500

Linda, Like David I bought my workmate many years ago. And like David one of
the plastic clips broke that hold the legs in place.  I find the workmate to
be a nice portable workstation and clamping device.  It works great for a
lot of various smaller jobs.  I find that for clamping larger/heavier items
it lacks clamping strength.  I use the jawhorse for those.  The jawhorse is
great for clamping large pieces of lumber, full sheets of plywood, lengths
of piping, etc.  If I had to choose one over the other for general use I
think it would be the workmate.  It's cheaper than a jawhorse too.  B&D
still sells replacement parts for any of the plastic pieces on the workmate
too.  My 2cents.  Steve Garrett

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Tncarnut1
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 7:47 AM
To: Linda Grunthaner; Spridget list
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Jawhorse or Workmate?

Linda, I bought my workmate maybe 20 years ago and love it. In all this
time, the only problem it has developed is that one of the four spring clip
thingys that hold the legs together when it is folded has lost its grip. So
that one leg will kind of dangle loose a bit while folded. This does not in
any way hamper the functionality while set up & being used, so haven't
really tried to address the issue. My biggest regret is that I did not buy
two of them when I had the chance. (bought it at a B&D overstock sale in the
parking lot of their facility in Nashville)B 

If the original ones have cast iron in them, mine is apparently a model from
a later generation because it is all steel and wood. The only plastic is on
the crank handles, the press-in wedges that hold bits on the table, and the
spring clips that hold the legs folded when it is collapsed. (one of which
is broken as previously described)
- David

List,
I've been looking for a portable workbench setup for a while now so I can do
some grinding, welding and other fabrication work on my car parts and wanted
to know what the list is using. Initially I wanted a Workmate by Black &
Decker because it sounds like what I need, a portable workbench I can fold
up stick in the garage or shed and take it out on the driveway or lawn to do
some work but the plastic crank handles just floored my perception of the
product. I was so disappointed to see any plastic altogether.

Thanks,
Lin

*popular mechanics link*

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/[email-masked]
------------------------

[email-masked]

---

From: Tncarnut1 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 08:48:26 -0500

I never even thought to see if they have replacement plastic bits! Thanks for the heads-up on that one Steve. Will check it out.

>From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

Steve Garrett <[email-masked]> wrote:

Linda, Like David I bought my workmate many years ago. And like David one of
the plastic clips broke that hold the legs in place.B  I find the workmate to
be a nice portable workstation and clamping device.B  It works great for a
lot of various smaller jobs.B  I find that for clamping larger/heavier items
it lacks clamping strength.B  I use the jawhorse for those.B  The jawhorse is
great for clamping large pieces of lumber, full sheets of plywood, lengths
of piping, etc.B  If I had to choose one over the other for general use I
think it would be the workmate.B  It's cheaper than a jawhorse too.B  B&D
still sells replacement parts for any of the plastic pieces on the workmate
too.B  My 2cents.B  Steve Garrett

-----Original Message-----

List,

Thanks,
Lin

*popular mechanics link*

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]

[email-masked]